HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) VII

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2013, 08:41 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
and im sure he'll just just waive his ntc
His ntc is modified. He can submit a list of 16 teams he will not go to.

I cant see this happening myself.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:43 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Markov traded this offseason.
Anyone not named Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Eller

should all be in play this weekend.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Marc-E-

Anyway this year, it was a culture changed. Now, it's time to change our core. I'm all for it.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

You could add Prust to the list.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

Galchenyuk is the only untouchable on my list. I'm not interested in moving the others just for the sake of moving them but if it makes sense to trade them, I'm open to it.

The graveyards are full of irreplaceable men, yet we manage to carry on.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:

Agree completely. MB only just got his hands in the dough last season, tough to do too much in your first year. Time for him to shape the team to look how he wants it to look.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Et le But

Quote:

Everyone on the team should be in play. Obviously some more than others.

You also don't make trades for the sake of making trades. You don't trade Plekanec just because he's 5'11" and is Czech, you trade Plekanec because some team is desperate for him.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:14 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
His ntc is modified. He can submit a list of 16 teams he will not go to.

I cant see this happening myself.
ah, thanks.

i also can't see it. maybe, giant BIG maybe traded at deadline. honestly, i see the guy retiring a hab

Old
06-28-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Galchenyuk is the only untouchable on my list. I'm not interested in moving the others just for the sake of moving them but if it makes sense to trade them, I'm open to it.

The graveyards are full of irreplaceable men, yet we manage to carry on.
well no one is untouchable...I just mean, it would take a massive and unrealistic overpayment for a team to pry the players I mentioned away from the Habs.

Especially Subban & Galchenyuk

For years this team has searched for true cornerstones and staples of an organization. I think they have that in both Subban & Galchenyuk

Old
06-28-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

You also don't make trades for the sake of making trades. You don't trade Plekanec just because he's 5'11" and is Czech, you trade Plekanec because some team is desperate for him.
Obviously...I didn't think I needed to spell out the obvious lol

I just think the players that I mentioned are the core of this team, under this new administration.

While I agree everyone on the team should be in play, in reality, that's certainly not the case.

And unlike most here, I do think that MB is going to use Plekanec as trade bait...we'll see if some team is willing to bite and pay the premium required to pull him away from Habs, certainly, lesser players in recent years have been moved for very good returns.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Et le But

Well if they sign Vinny I fully expect Plekanec to be trade bait, even though I think it's a bad idea without a very good return. I absolutely hate the idea of Eller being the best defensive C on this team without any competition.

But I also don't think we are getting Bobby Ryan or Chris Stewart for Plekanec, which seems to be the common fantasy.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Well if they sign Vinny I fully expect Plekanec to be trade bait, even though I think it's a bad idea without a very good return. I absolutely hate the idea of Eller being the best defensive C on this team without any competition.

But I also don't think we are getting Bobby Ryan or Chris Stewart for Plekanec, which seems to be the common fantasy.
The rumour is Ryan for Cobourn of the Flyers. So I don't see how they'd do it for Plekanec.

We'd have to have a blueliner to trade. Subban isn't an option, Markov is too old... It would have to be Gorges + something like Gionta and a pick and that still probably wouldn't work. We'd have to deal something of real value to get him. Max and Gorges for example... and then we'd want something to come with Ryan.

I'd go after Ryan and see what they want, but he won't come cheap. And we're so thin on the blueline now...

Old
06-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Lozela

To Islanders
David Desharnais
Raphael Diaz

To Montreal
Nino Neiderreiter
3rd round pick

To Washington
Travis Moen
4th round pick

To Montreal
Joel Ward

sign

Vincent Lecavalier
16 millions/4 years = 4 millions

Ryan O'Byrn
6,6 millions/3 years = 2.2 millions

Anthony Steward
625 000/1 year - 2way

Jean François Jacques
550 000/1 year - 2way

Pacioretty - Lecavalier - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Eller - Bourque

Neiderreiter - Plekanec - Gionta

Prust - Bournival - Joel Ward

Stewart - Jacques

Tinordi - Subban

Markov - Emelin

Gorges - O'Byrne

Drewski - Boullion

Price
Budaj

I would add size without changing the make up of the team too much. With Stewart & Jacques signed to 2 way deals, we would have a lot of flexibility in bringing AHL guys that are performing well like Dumont, Leblanc, Pateryn and even Blunden and a guy like Plekanec could be our shut down guy along with Prust & Ward when we need it.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Lozela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Markov traded this offseason.
It really wouldn't be a smart move. We really have to keep his minutes down a bit to keep him fresh

Old
06-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The rumour is Ryan for Cobourn of the Flyers. So I don't see how they'd do it for Plekanec.

We'd have to have a blueliner to trade. Subban isn't an option, Markov is too old... It would have to be Gorges + something like Gionta and a pick and that still probably wouldn't work. We'd have to deal something of real value to get him. Max and Gorges for example... and then we'd want something to come with Ryan.

I'd go after Ryan and see what they want, but he won't come cheap. And we're so thin on the blueline now...
I'm probably am one of the biggest Gorges "haters" on this board and I'd still be very hesitant about that. For whatever upgrade Ryan would be over Pacioretty, I'm not sure it's enough to compensate for losing our most steady stay at home defender, even if he is average. This D is too unbalanced as it is.

Plekanec in general I think is difficult to trade for a worthwhile return because he's a jack of all trades without being elite. While he'd fit on most teams, he's not the type of player you go out of the way to look for.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I'm fine to trade Pleks but it has to make sense. If it was a rebuild, absolutely you trade him. If we're trying to get better now, then it's not so easy.

Any deal for Pleks would have to be for a player who is younger and not as good right now but with the potential to be as good or better. Essentially a good prospect. Even then though, I don't think it makes sense to do right now.

Subban, Price, Max... these guys are coming into their prime now. Like it or not we're at the point where we have to start thinking about winning now. As I've said a few times, I wish we rebuilt more than we did but now it is what it is. This will be the last draft that we should really hang onto picks and develop from. Assuming our records are good going forward we should start looking at dealing picks for vets. We'll have to do this if we want to win now.

I'll be curious to see how MB works this. He's in that 'in between stage' where we might be a contender with a few extra pieces but maybe not. We have to hope that Galchenyuk and Tinordi and Beaulieu develop quickly and we get good years from our vets. We HAVE to add a crease clearing defenseman. If we do this it'll help out Price big time. Subban I'm not worried about but we have to hope he doesn't slide back.

Everything went right for us for most of the year last season. We have to hope that it happens again.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I'm probably am one of the biggest Gorges "haters" on this board and I'd still be very hesitant about that. For whatever upgrade Ryan would be over Pacioretty, I'm not sure it's enough to compensate for losing our most steady stay at home defender, even if he is average. This D is too unbalanced as it is.

Plekanec in general I think is difficult to trade for a worthwhile return because he's a jack of all trades without being elite. While he'd fit on most teams, he's not the type of player you go out of the way to look for.
We can't afford to lose Gorges right now. We have to pray that he returns to form because he didn't look right at all last season.

If we did trade him we'd better have TWO blueliners out there that we're looking at because I want us to add a big blueliner as it is.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I'm fine to trade Pleks but it has to make sense. If it was a rebuild, absolutely you trade him. If we're trying to get better now, then it's not so easy.

Any deal for Pleks would have to be for a player who is younger and not as good right now but with the potential to be as good or better. Essentially a good prospect. Even then though, I don't think it makes sense to do right now.

Subban, Price, Max... these guys are coming into their prime now. Like it or not we're at the point where we have to start thinking about winning now. As I've said a few times, I wish we rebuilt more than we did but now it is what it is. This will be the last draft that we should really hang onto picks and develop from. Assuming our records are good going forward we should start looking at dealing picks for vets. We'll have to do this if we want to win now.

I'll be curious to see how MB works this. He's in that 'in between stage' where we might be a contender with a few extra pieces but maybe not. We have to hope that Galchenyuk and Tinordi and Beaulieu develop quickly and we get good years from our vets. We HAVE to add a crease clearing defenseman. If we do this it'll help out Price big time. Subban I'm not worried about but we have to hope he doesn't slide back.

Everything went right for us for most of the year last season. We have to hope that it happens again.
As I said a few days ago...Habs in a tough spot because they clearly aren't good enough to be a contender right now. But the few players who they have that are valuable on the trade market, they can't really afford to trade (short of an too-good-to-be-true type of trade).

I've floated the idea of moving Plekanec this summer, but really, I don't even think he's that desirable to other teams.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Et le But

Quote:

Agree with all of this.

I don't think we are as good as our record last year but I think we are on the right path. I don't want them to blow it up because of a bad, injury prone playoffs. If the wheels fall off next season though...

Quote:
I've floated the idea of moving Plekanec this summer, but really, I don't even think he's that desirable to other teams.
The funny thing is if the Hawks didn't win the cup I could have seen them interested, since I still think Plekanec is better than Bolland (as probably everyone who isn't Couris does), but Bolland had an excellent playoffs.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

Getting Vinny and trading Pleks makes no sense unless it's for a good winger or top 4 D who can play now.

Pleks is very underrated here. He's the perfect 2nd line center. You put Galchenyuk on the wing for another season, then see if Lars can take over as 2nd C and then trade Pleks. I just like the center depth with Lecavalier, Eller, Pleks and Galchenyuk.....hell, even DD...but I'd trade him if Lecavalier came. Problem is we have many 2nd and 3rd line centermen...no 1st line guys.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Getting Vinny and trading Pleks makes no sense unless it's for a good winger or top 4 D who can play now.

Pleks is very underrated here. He's the perfect 2nd line center. You put Galchenyuk on the wing for another season, then see if Lars can take over as 2nd C and then trade Pleks. I just like the center depth with Lecavalier, Eller, Pleks and Galchenyuk.....hell, even DD...but I'd trade him if Lecavalier came. Problem is we have many 2nd and 3rd line centermen...no 1st line guys.
Question - how exactly are we going to see if Lars Eller can take over as 2nd C, if he continues to see very minimal PP & PK time?

If the status quo remains, we'll have the same doubts/questions of whether or not Eller can take over Pleks role next summer, as we have this summer.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:

The funny thing is if the Hawks didn't win the cup I could have seen them interested, since I still think Plekanec is better than Bolland (as probably everyone who isn't Couris does), but Bolland had an excellent playoffs.
If Bolland doesn't fit their salary structure...not sure how Plekanec could

Old
06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

I agree, the problem is Plekanec is still the best "2C" we have...Galchenyuk and Vinny might be better offensively but Plekanec is still the best two-way forward on this team and the only one who is remotely close is Eller...and I really don't like the idea of giving Eller the team's main defensive load when he's starting to break out offensively.

Lecavalier would actually thrive in DD's role right now. Let Galchenyuk play with Eller another year or so, either convert Desharnais to the wing (he can be the new St. Louis for Vinny ) or test him on the market. But I have a bad feeling the only way Vinny becomes affordable is if they ship Plekanec.

Moving Gionta would make more sense of course, but that's another story.

Quote:
Question - how exactly are we going to see if Lars Eller can take over as 2nd C, if he continues to see very minimal PP & PK time?

If the status quo remains, we'll have the same doubts/questions of whether or not Eller can take over Pleks role next summer, as we have this summer.
Eller isn't getting any PP time behind Vinny and Desharnais either. If anything his role would be more exclusively defensive because he'd be taking over many of Plekanec's defensive draws. He will get more ice time - but all of it will be defensive.

Last edited by Et le But: 06-28-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I think Anaheim wants a 1st plus a 2nd pair d-man so it would be Coburn plus 1st(maybe 2014? since Phillie is picking early)

Old
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I think Anaheim wants a 1st plus a 2nd pair d-man so it would be Coburn plus 1st(maybe 2014? since Phillie is picking early)
Rumour on the main board is the Ducks want the 11th ov + Coburn.

Closed Thread