HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trades, Buyouts, and the Entry Draft

Old
06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Brunner
Franzen - Weiss - Horton
Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar
Miller - Abdelkader - Eaves
Tootoo, Helm (rotating in for Miller or Eaves and move Abdelkader to the wing, when healthy)

Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Smith
Quincey - Kindl
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson
Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($2.750m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.300m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.400m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Stephen Weiss ($5.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Nathan Horton ($5.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.700m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.850m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,344,545; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $1,034,545
Would be hard/impossible to get under the cap. Some of those signings are even fairly optimistic.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:41 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Would be hard/impossible to get under the cap. Some of those signings are even fairly optimistic.
Three options then:

- Trade Quincey and keep Colaicovo
- Trade Quincey and acquire a cheaper third pairing defenseman (Murray, Ference, Lydman, Scuderi) if possible.
- Scratch Horton and keep Bertuzzi

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:01 AM
redjax
Boom Roasted.

Buying out CC seems like a waste - what's wrong with having him for another year at a decent price? It's not as if we are going to go unscathed on D all year.

I don't understand dumping Brunner unless the money/years demanded is crazy. 3 year, $10MM is where that should be.

It seems like dumping Flip and his $5.5MM/7-8 years for Weiss at 5MM/4-5 years is becoming more and more likely.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Bert
Z-Weiss-Franzen
Brunner-Helm-Tatar
Eaves-Abby-Miller
Andersson

Kronwall-Ericcson
Quincey-Smith
DD-Kindl
CC

Howard
Monster

Buyout: Sammy
Dump/Trade: Cleary, Flip, Emmerton, Tootoo

I could live with that.

redjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:53 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
You know, I've always advocated not being afraid to let guys go...especially if they're not "core" and you're making room for kids.

But I'm starting to get the idea that we're going to lose Flip and Brunner.

Now, if you ask me, losing Flip and Hudler in successive years ... and then letting Brunner go.... and getting nothing?

That would be a major failure -- especially if we don't do anything about getting a major league winger.
I would be less angry if Holland was holding onto players because the Wings were still legitimate cup contenders. Unfortunately he is keeping non core players who are going to walk because he is trying to keep a mediocre team together. Wings could have easily gotten a first for Flip and a 2nd/3rd for White.

Gotta preserve the playoff streak...

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I would be less angry if Holland was holding onto players because the Wings were still legitimate cup contenders. Unfortunately he is keeping non core players who are going to walk because he is trying to keep a mediocre team together. Wings could have easily gotten a first for Flip and a 2nd/3rd for White.

Gotta preserve the playoff streak...
I agree about White, but not Filppula. The Sharks traded Clowe and Murray because they weren't the right fit for their team and were going to lose them anyway. Filppula still was important to the team in theory.

Trade Filppula now, I agree with that.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I agree about White, but not Filppula. The Sharks traded Clowe and Murray because they weren't the right fit for their team and were going to lose them anyway. Filppula still was important to the team in theory.

Trade Filppula now, I agree with that.
If they trade him now the draft pick wont be that much worse than what they would have gotten at the deadline I dont think.

Hendricks433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:47 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Are you referring to him complaining about being healthy scratched? He was basically like, "I'm not requesting to be traded...but I'm requesting to be traded". I thought it was a pretty a "un-Red Wing-like" thing to do on his part. That might have been what made Babcock sour towards him.

He might have been a ***** in the locker room as well, who knows? But we don't need any bad eggs if that was the case, and he's very replaceable.
No, he means this http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...8732--nhl.html

SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
No the buy out starts at 11:00 Pm Wednesday June 26th 2013 and ends Thursday July 4th 2013 at 5:00 pm the day before free agency
Thanks, good info to know... guess Holland has more time than i thought.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 8m
Komisarek seems a given in TOR. I'd be shocked if CHI doesn't buy out Olesz and Montador. Colaiacovo is a possibility in DET.
No mention of Sammy.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:18 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
No mention of Sammy.
Which probably means his injury is being used to fight it... But that's just one source.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:25 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
No mention of Sammy.
He may be putting up a stink about being injured. If he's hurt we can't buy him out.

I'd actually like to keep CC if we can I think he's a great #6/7 for us. Sammy on the other hand brings very little in value to our team & he would be the #1 buyout candidate to be bought out if he couldn't be traded.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
No mention of Sammy.
He and his agent might be seeking a 2nd opinion on his health.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Are you referring to him complaining about being healthy scratched? He was basically like, "I'm not requesting to be traded...but I'm requesting to be traded". I thought it was a pretty a "un-Red Wing-like" thing to do on his part. That might have been what made Babcock sour towards him.

He might have been a ***** in the locker room as well, who knows? But we don't need any bad eggs if that was the case, and he's very replaceable.
He lost Babcock and he apparently made the rest of the brass so angry that they preferred to Munson him for nothing rather than let him go somewhere else, salvage his UFA value, maybe win a Cup, and get a nice big contract this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
That certainly had something to do with it, yes.

Jimmy Devellano is a petty, petty man when it comes to labor negotiations. I'm sure he took those comments personally and made it his mission to submarine White's career as best he could.

Quote:
Mursak didn't get claimed.
Mursak sucks, though. And teams were probably afraid he'd hurt himself putting on their jersey and then they'd be stuck with him.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:54 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
He may be putting up a stink about being injured. If he's hurt we can't buy him out.

I'd actually like to keep CC if we can I think he's a great #6/7 for us. Sammy on the other hand brings very little in value to our team & he would be the #1 buyout candidate to be bought out if he couldn't be traded.
I don't really understand why a player in Sammy's position would want to prevent the team from buying him out.

He only has one year left. He's old. He gets paid whether they buy him out or not. If he stays on the team, he knows the coaches and brass all hate him and won't play him much if at all.

If they buy him out, he gets paid twice next year and gets to go find somewhere else to play where they haven't decided he's worth less than nothing. And he gets to spend one of his few remaining NHL-playing years actually playing in games. Even if it's in Columbus or Carolina or Brooklyn.

If he had a bunch of years left on his deal and had been here for the last 10 years, I could see it. He'd be comfy and wouldn't want to go anywhere. But he's moved around a lot, he's only got one year left on the deal, they've made it clear that they hate him, and he should just go away.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
Oh yeah! I remember that.

I don't disagree with him, but it wasn't the most professional statement to make at the time.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

Fil and White shoulda been dealt at the deadline. Shame on Holland.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:39 PM
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YostisHome View Post
White absolutely should have, but not Filppula (and for a few reasons)

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:42 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by YostisHome View Post
White definitely should have.

I've got no problem with them keeping Flip since he was an important part of the team and at the time there was still hope they could agree on a contract.

He should be traded now though since all hope of signing him appears to be gone.

FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
He should be traded now though since all hope of signing him appears to be gone.
and in all likelihood will be for a conditional 3rd or 4th round pick on Sunday

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:15 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I don't really understand why a player in Sammy's position would want to prevent the team from buying him out.

He only has one year left. He's old. He gets paid whether they buy him out or not. If he stays on the team, he knows the coaches and brass all hate him and won't play him much if at all.

If they buy him out, he gets paid twice next year and gets to go find somewhere else to play where they haven't decided he's worth less than nothing. And he gets to spend one of his few remaining NHL-playing years actually playing in games. Even if it's in Columbus or Carolina or Brooklyn.

If he had a bunch of years left on his deal and had been here for the last 10 years, I could see it. He'd be comfy and wouldn't want to go anywhere. But he's moved around a lot, he's only got one year left on the deal, they've made it clear that they hate him, and he should just go away.
I don't think he gets paid 1:1, so maybe he is worried he won't get a job next year (which he probably shouldn't) and he is rogered out of some $$. Otherwise, I completely agree with you, and so should his agent.

EDIT: Sammy would get paid 2/3 of his remaining year - i.e. leaving $1mm on the table. MAYBE some team signs him to a $1mm/1 year deal, but I doubt it; guy is 36 and played less than 1/10th of the previous season due to injury.

Last edited by BeersHockey: 06-26-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Actually looked up the rules.
BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:44 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
I don't think he gets paid 1:1, so maybe he is worried he won't get a job next year (which he probably shouldn't) and he is rogered out of some $$. Otherwise, I completely agree with you, and so should his agent.

EDIT: Sammy would get paid 2/3 of his remaining year - i.e. leaving $1mm on the table. MAYBE some team signs him to a $1mm/1 year deal, but I doubt it; guy is 36 and played less than 1/10th of the previous season due to injury.
Right. In other words "would you come to work every day for 6 months knowing your boss and many of your co-workers hated you for $1 million"?

I'll answer for me "Umm hell yes? I do it for less ALREADY?"

I know Sammy's richer than I am but I doubt he's so rich that leaving a million on the table "ain't no thang"

SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:11 AM
TheOctopusKid

The Sammy situation is about leverage. If he has any intention of playing for the foreseeable future he has two options - play with the Wings in a system he is familiar with and thrives in for $3m. Or be bought out at a percent of his remaining year and test the market rate for what is an injury prone 35+, winger whose last two seasons have either been on the IR or less than stellar production.

By accepting the buyout he is leaving himself very vulnerable and with very little leverage for a team to sign him without the last season as evidence or performance. Most likely he lands himself a veteran min contract for a year and a third of the cost with little options of what team will offer and that will be his last contract. Conversely he could play with the Wings for 1 season and parlay that into a final contract with a cup contender looking for veteran depth at a 2 year 4m contract.

TheOctopusKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
This will probably happen. I'm banking on Filppula and Brunner leaving and we'll hold onto Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and re-sign Cleary. I just don't see Holland figuring stuff out until the team is about to fall off the face of the earth.
Chin up, Heaton, it's not quite as bad of a picture as your pessimistic outlook is painting Don't be a defeatist

Yes.... Flip is 100% gone, Bertuzzi will likely be back, and Cleary will likely be re-signed.

But if the Wings can prove Samuelsson is healthy, he is also 100% gone. And I'd be pretty surprised if the Wings don't figure it out with Brunner.

My prediction several weeks ago was that it would be Flip, Emmerton, and Cleary gone. Now I think it will be Flip (rights traded/walk), Emmerton (traded/waived), Samuelsson (BO), and Tootoo (traded), with the Wings signing a FA forward (hopefully Vinny, but I think those are long odds).

Opening night forward roster:
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Franzen
FA (Vinny? Weiss?)
Brunner
Nyquist
Helm
Tatar
Bertuzzi
Abdelkader
Cleary
Andersson
Miller
Eaves

I'm good with that.

Last edited by jaster: 06-27-2013 at 11:55 AM.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
For the draft there 1st round pick they should go with a good puck moving two-way D. Maybe someone like Morrissey, or Pulock. And for there 2nd round pick, they should go with Sweden left winger, Jacob De La Rose.

- For trades, Buy outs, and signings.

- Buy out Samullssen.

- Trade Eaves

- Let Ian White go

- Let Cleary go.

-Filuppla is optional, If they lose him. They will be taking a chunk out of scoring and playmaking.

-Sign: Viktor Stalberg (Cheap) He's a fast skater, Sweden, He's under-rated. He can put up good numbers from 25-40 points+. He would replace Cleary or Filluppla's roles.

-Sign: Briere, (Only for cheap 2 million) or less. He will bring that veteran, playmaking to the team.

-Sign: Or go with big body's: Clowe, Horton, Bickell, Morrow.
I like this blueprint a lot!!!

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Chin up, Heaton, it's not quite as bad of a picture as your pessimistic outlook is painting Don't be a defeatist

Yes.... Flip is 100% gone, Bertuzzi will likely be back, and Cleary will likely be re-signed.

But if the Wings can prove Samuelsson is healthy, he is also 100% gone. And I'd be pretty surprised if the Wings don't figure it out with Brunner.

My prediction several weeks ago was that it would be Flip, Emmerton, and Cleary gone. Now I think it will be Flip (walk), Emmerton (traded/waived), Samuelsson (BO), and Tootoo (traded), with the Wings signing a FA forward (hopefully Vinny, but I think those are long odds).

Opening night forward roster:
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Franzen
FA (Vinny? Weiss?)
Brunner
Nyquist
Helm
Tatar
Bertuzzi
Abdelkader
Cleary