HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Lightning was trading Lecavalier to Leafs, then Leafs buy him out.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

vCash: 500
Why are the large market teams punished for being loaded? I can't stand this little gremlin bettman. If mtl, tor, NY, philly can afford to make moves like this then it should be allowed. In the end, it also helps the small market team by getting rid of a large contract. Where is the issue! Nothing shady if they want to re-sign the player too.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:19 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
They should penalize the Lightning for that.
Why exactly? It didn't happen and it takes two to tango.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Ohh FFS! The NHL once again putting restrictions on the teams with money. Teams like Toronto should be allowed to use their wealth to help their team. This whole notion about all 30 teams playing on the same equal field is non sense when one team is losing 25 million a year and one is worth a billion. If the Leafs want to spend 30 million on a buy-out for an asset from TB they should be allowed to do it! It would have to be a huge asset though
Gremlin doesn't care. He'll continue to cater to small market teams until he's blue in the face.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
Why are the large market teams punished for being loaded? I can't stand this little gremlin bettman. If mtl, tor, NY, philly can afford to make moves like this then it should be allowed. In the end, it also helps the small market team by getting rid of a large contract. Where is the issue! Nothing shady if they want to re-sign the player too.
I don't get it either, it's total B.S IMO.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Skead

Should note; this one is dead in the water.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 17h
Quote:
NHL has notified GMs that league will not allow player to be traded, amnestied and then re-signed by original club, Post has learned.

Skead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:24 PM
TOML

"Oh yeah? What if I stare at you like this. Forever."

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Bure 10

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Wonder what the pick would have been...

A 2nd doesn't seem like enough considering the huge amount of money on that contract..

The 3rd overall obviously seems like a huge overpayment.
3rd overall vs 30 million? You call that over payment? I'd want the pick and an asset.

Bure 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Servant View Post
3rd overall vs 30 million? You call that over payment? I'd want the pick and an asset.
LOL same here, unless we're talking a roster player, but if this happened I would have to guess it would have to be the 3rd overall. We're talking about 30 freakin million dollars here! That is one huge favour, so the asset payment would have to be well worth it.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Ricky Bobby

If him reinking with Tampa after being bought out by the Leafs is ruled out it'll be interesting to see if Tampa decides to just move on from Vinny completely.

If they do I still think a deal with Toronto can take place.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

The "NY Yankees" model is dead in Hockey. Big market teams can no longer throw their financial weight around and beat up the little guys. A level playing field is just that and hockey is better for it.

I'm glad the NHL closed the loophole. Clear cap circumvention....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Bure 10

vCash: 160
Quote:
LOL same here, unless we're talking a roster player, but if this happened I would have to guess it would have to be the 3rd overall. We're talking about 30 freakin million dollars here! That is one huge favour, so the asset payment would have to be well worth it.
That's what I mean, anything less than 3rd overall and a really nice asset and Nonis is an idiot.

lmfao @ a 2nd round pick vs 30 million, some people are insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
The "NY Yankees" model is dead in Hockey. Big market teams can no longer throw their financial weight around and beat up the little guys. A level playing field is just that and hockey is better for it.

Oh no, please don't let a couple teams find a way to help each other out and make a player happy, this is the NHL after all, we want a team like Tampa to suffer with that contract, no way do we need them with any kind of cap room to ice a better hockey team, that wouldn't be good for the game at all.

Bure 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
It might not be 30 million though because Toronto could be sending Tampa some bad contracts like Komisarek, Grabo, Liles to lessen that dollar figure.

Tampa also has some great prospect depth with guys like Connolly, Gudas, Panik, Johnson, Koekkoek, Vasilesky, Kucherov all ranked as 7.5C or higher prospects so we could be getting a bunch of prospects instead of just that 3rd pick.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Ginu

A player should be able to be traded for a buyout. The problem here is that player then signing back to the same team. I don't think the NHL has a problem with the first bit.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:38 PM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
That 33rd overall would be enough IMO, that might as well be another 1st round pick for the Leafs with the depth of this years draft
Are u ****in kidding me 30 mill for a 2nd rounder

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Pura Vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
WTF, how is that "circumvention"?

Each team gets 2 buy-outs and those are assets, like draft picks. If TOR doesn't want to use them on their current roster, why not aquire a pick in exchange for a buy-out? Seems like a perfectly fine deal to me.
This! Exactly how compliance buyouts should be seen... as assets! Kudos on Toronto for not having to use them on bad contracts.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:

Except in this case, small market teams benefit.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Stats01

Quote:

Thing is, it's not a NY Yankees model, baseball doesn't have a cap, not only do the Leafs have to deal with a cap they now can't use their financial might at all to help them other than in free agency but again the cap comes into play. The Leafs and other clubs have no advantage whatsoever anymore and it's a shame really because their hands are tied in a lot of ways. This was also going to help TB out in a big way so let's not pretend that the Leafs were the only benefactor here. This would have been a shrewd move that helped both teams but of course Bettman and his cronies had to shut it down. "Circumvention" yeah right!

The Leafs have two buy-outs to use so this would've been one of them..the NHL is making rules on top of their own rules. They're the ones who gave out the two amnesty buy-outs if that isn't cap circumvention then I don't know what is.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
tacoburrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Bell and Rogers. Willing to send you to collections for $17. Even more willing to spend millions to buy out other teams players.
haha so true

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tampa isn't benefitting either, they're stuck with Lecavalier at a pretty rough price.

Good for Toronto for trying to get better for just cash without screwing someone else over with an offer sheet. Good idea, but this would have been a slippery slope for the league to let go.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
One offs aren't good for the entire league. So it would allow Tampa to escape a horrible contract....how's that fair to any other team who has bad contracts? Should they all start shopping bad deals with a 1st round pic/prospect chaser to try and get a rich team to bite?

The NHL is right on this one...

Old
06-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

vCash: 50
How would the NHL know Vinny would re-sign in Tampa?

Max Kellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Thing is, it's not a NY Yankees model, baseball doesn't have a cap, not only do the Leafs have to deal with a cap they now can't use their financial might at all to help them other than in free agency but again the cap comes into play. The Leafs and other clubs have no advantage whatsoever anymore and it's a shame really because their hands are tied in a lot of ways. This was also going to help TB out in a big way so let's not pretend that the Leafs were the only benefactor here. This would have been a shrewd move that helped both teams but of course Bettman and his cronies had to shut it down. "Circumvention" yeah right!

The Leafs have two buy-outs to use so this would've been one of them..the NHL is making rules on top of their own rules. They're the ones who gave out the two amnesty buy-outs if that isn't cap circumvention then I don't know what is.
Look up circumvention, then you would probably understand why an amnesty clause isn't circumvention. It's an authorized short term tool created by the NHL.

The Yankees model is throw $$ at the problem...that's exactly what this is, using financial might to provide an uneven advantage over your peers.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 306
It's just like the Weight/Tkachuk rule. Vinny should be able to be traded and then bought out, but he shouldn't be allowed to sign with the original team.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
How would the NHL know Vinny would re-sign in Tampa?
You're talking about multi-million $ businesses. A smart GM would run that by the league for fear of the circumvention penalties. I'm guessing that's how.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Tampa isn't benefitting either, they're stuck with Lecavalier at a pretty rough price.

Good for Toronto for trying to get better for just cash without screwing someone else over with an offer sheet. Good idea, but this would have been a slippery slope for the league to let go.
I think he's saying they would have benefitted has this been allowed.