HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Anisimov signs 3 year, $9.85M extension $3.283M AAV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2013, 06:19 PM
  #51
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,471
vCash: 300
Steal. Absolute steal, IMO. Great work by Jarmo.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:52 PM
  #52
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
My point is we all look a little silly when our way of assessing a player's worth to the team is number of points. Can we not do that with Arty? He would have easily led the team in scoring if he was given the plum zone starts and 5 on 5 time that a guy like Prospal got. (See post 41). But he wasn't used that way because he is a better all-around player, so he played PK and took on shutdown duty. Still he finished 38th in the league in points per 5-on-5 minutes. He was about 15th in the whole league for centers at 5-on-5 scoring rate.

And here we are mulling over the chances of buyout talk?
That's too many IF's for my taste.

And just so people don't take my thoughts the wrong way (not talking to you directly Major), I love Arty. I think Juice was a putz. Arty has more character in his right arm than Juice had in his whole body. My comment about "new Juice" was only drawing a comparison to the production, the offensive skills, the injuries, the top six status and the contract term. Nothing more was intended.


Last edited by leesmith: 06-26-2013 at 07:25 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:59 PM
  #53
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
We are paying for potential a bit here, but it's a fair projection based on his current trajectory. Artem has 3 full seasons under his belt before last year's 35 games for the CBJ, so there is a pretty good sample size.

Brassard basically got a 4 year deal for the same cap hit and he had only played 48 NHL games when he got his deal, so it's not as crazily reliant on player growth as that contract was.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:14 PM
  #54
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Great deal.

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:26 PM
  #55
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
We are paying for potential a bit here, but it's a fair projection based on his current trajectory. Artem has 3 full seasons under his belt before last year's 35 games for the CBJ, so there is a pretty good sample size.

Brassard basically got a 4 year deal for the same cap hit and he had only played 48 NHL games when he got his deal, so it's not as crazily reliant on player growth as that contract was.
I hope you mean paying for potential of playing full seasons. Injuries are a concern and I get that.

But paying for potential quality of play? Am I crazy or is Arty already well worth a few million to us?

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:41 PM
  #56
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I hope you mean paying for potential of playing full seasons. Injuries are a concern and I get that.

But paying for potential quality of play? Am I crazy or is Arty already well worth a few million to us?
I think it's a good deal - I had said that earlier but maybe I wasn't clear with this post.

I mean that the deal is structured with the expectation that Artem continues to progress. He's getting 2.75 M next year, which is about on line with his play last year. By year 3, his salary increases 4 M, so there is some expectation that his potential has not yet been reached, hence we are paying a bit for his potential.

My point is I think that expectation is reasonable and we have a much larger track record of Artem's to base that expectation on, as compared to a contract like Brassard's.

Fair deal for both sides.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
  #57
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I think it's a good deal - I had said that earlier but maybe I wasn't clear with this post.

I mean that the deal is structured with the expectation that Artem continues to progress. He's getting 2.75 M next year, which is about on line with his play last year. By year 3, his salary increases 4 M, so there is some expectation that his potential has not yet been reached, hence we are paying a bit for his potential.

My point is I think that expectation is reasonable and we have a much larger track record of Artem's to base that expectation on, as compared to a contract like Brassard's.

Fair deal for both sides.
Right I should have read that clearer. I'm hungry.

Anyways I'd still think Arty's play would have to regress for him to not be worth $4 million 3 years from now.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:18 PM
  #58
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
Great signing..

Also good from the standpoint of seeing the acquired guys commit to Columbus. AA showed me a great deal this year, he has handles, can skate and has sniper ability. The guy centres and plays great defense. Often when someone was back checking hard it was AA. Love it, the guy got ice time and came through, the Jackets need more of his kind of play.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:51 PM
  #59
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,631
vCash: 500
Didn't someone say a few months back AA was a 100% guarantee to play in the KHL this coming year?

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:51 AM
  #60
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
He's improved every year he's been in the league. For those saying its too much or an overpayment, keep that in mind.

Also, other than last year he had only missed 3 games in his NHL career, seems like just an unlucky year (hopefully) with injuries. Great contract
While I have no issue with the contract, I like AA, and I tend to generally support the assessment that he is improving, the offensive production is fairly flat the last 3 seasons. He did increase his goal scoring last season, but is he going to continue to score at a 16% clip?

I certainly think he's growing as a forward, but we are going to need more than what he's shown to the point. He's a great break away finisher and a great two way player. Having said that I don't find him the greatest garbage goal kind of guy and haven't seen a ton of play making out of him.

At this point I think he's a solid third line player that can play a second line two way game. Which is great. However the ability is there to be more.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:52 AM
  #61
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Didn't someone say a few months back AA was a 100% guarantee to play in the KHL this coming year?
In all honesty, who cares.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:38 AM
  #62
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
In all honesty, who cares.
I care. Because somebody has to.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
  #63
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
While I have no issue with the contract, I like AA, and I tend to generally support the assessment that he is improving, the offensive production is fairly flat the last 3 seasons. He did increase his goal scoring last season, but is he going to continue to score at a 16% clip?

I certainly think he's growing as a forward, but we are going to need more than what he's shown to the point. He's a great break away finisher and a great two way player. Having said that I don't find him the greatest garbage goal kind of guy and haven't seen a ton of play making out of him.

At this point I think he's a solid third line player that can play a second line two way game. Which is great. However the ability is there to be more.

100% agree.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:46 PM
  #64
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
While I have no issue with the contract, I like AA, and I tend to generally support the assessment that he is improving, the offensive production is fairly flat the last 3 seasons. He did increase his goal scoring last season, but is he going to continue to score at a 16% clip?

I certainly think he's growing as a forward, but we are going to need more than what he's shown to the point. He's a great break away finisher and a great two way player. Having said that I don't find him the greatest garbage goal kind of guy and haven't seen a ton of play making out of him.

At this point I think he's a solid third line player that can play a second line two way game. Which is great. However the ability is there to be more.
.5ppg is solidly second-line. I think Arty is a second line two way player, and his stats suggest he could produce at a top-line rate if the Jackets were to use him as a scorer.

Before I give up, is his 2.35 points/60 minutes despite defensive usage that unimpressive to folks?

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:36 PM
  #65
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
.5ppg is solidly second-line. I think Arty is a second line two way player, and his stats suggest he could produce at a top-line rate if the Jackets were to use him as a scorer.

Before I give up, is his 2.35 points/60 minutes despite defensive usage that unimpressive to folks?
Is there ANYONE here who is not absolutely thrilled to have Arty back for three years? There's your answer.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:47 AM
  #66
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
.5ppg is solidly second-line. I think Arty is a second line two way player, and his stats suggest he could produce at a top-line rate if the Jackets were to use him as a scorer.

Before I give up, is his 2.35 points/60 minutes despite defensive usage that unimpressive to folks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Is there ANYONE here who is not absolutely thrilled to have Arty back for three years? There's your answer.
As long as he plays the whole 60 count me in

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:17 AM
  #67
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Is there ANYONE here who is not absolutely thrilled to have Arty back for three years? There's your answer.
Meh, he's post 30 minute prod. He's borderline. However, there is no denying that there is untapped potential. But he is more a top six guy because of his overall two way game as opposed to his offensive production.

What's impressive about him is not his stats, however. I have no idea how his stats suggest we could use him as a top line player, however. In addition, right now he's more of a one trick pony in the offensive end.

I'm fine with the signing, however we do have a small amount of homerism in play here. Nothing dramatic, but a lot of man-crush coloring things a bit.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
  #68
stevo61
Registered User
 
stevo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 886
vCash: 500
I don't remember any of this fuss or any worries when Foligno signed his contract and this contract is basically the same thing, i think Anisimov will definitely earn this contract and will put up better number when given a little more chance offensively. I think his Numbers will be a bit better this year due to the fact he can start using his teammates more. I think he was so worried about making a name for himself this year and before the Gaborik trade there were no real established goal scorers so at times he tried doing too much himself. This year we will have a full season of Gaborik and I'm hoping and really believe we can see at least 20-25 from Cam. With guys like that stepping up I think Anisimov can use them more and build his assist totals and look better on the stat sheet. It would be nice though to see his faceoff stat increase as that would help in every area and he is pretty terrible in that dept

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
  #69
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo61 View Post
I don't remember any of this fuss or any worries
I haven't seen much fuss or worry.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:51 PM
  #70
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Meh, he's post 30 minute prod. He's borderline. However, there is no denying that there is untapped potential. But he is more a top six guy because of his overall two way game as opposed to his offensive production.

What's impressive about him is not his stats, however. I have no idea how his stats suggest we could use him as a top line player, however. In addition, right now he's more of a one trick pony in the offensive end.

I'm fine with the signing, however we do have a small amount of homerism in play here. Nothing dramatic, but a lot of man-crush coloring things a bit.
I'll try to clear up my argument. There are some if's in this argument, but I'd like you to at least know what I'm thinking in terms of stats so you don't assume this is homerism.

Arty played 35 games at 13 minutes of even strength ice time per game. Combined with a 2.35 points /per 60 minutes,
13*35*2.35/60=18 points.

If you take Arty off PK and give him 16 minutes of evens per game, and he plays 80 games,
16*80*2.35/60=50 points

That's 50 points at even strength. 50 points at even strength should put him well within the top 30 in the league, much less the top 90 which is the best marker for first line scoring. You can be less charitable and say only 15 minutes of evens per game, and have his 2.35/60 regress back to his 2.00/60 of previous seasons. That's still 40 points, which is borderline top 90.

Health is an if, and so is him maintaining that high points/60, but his career numbers are very positive in both regards. And the coach, in addition to giving him minutes less per game than RJ Umberger (!), had him starting most of the time in his own zone. Player's scoring improves quite a bit when they start more often in the offensive zone.

Edit: Just noticed your "30 minute prod" comment. I prefer p/60 at evens to get rid of the bias against penalty killers. And I don't have a good sense of prod around the leauge, but even so Arty's prod has to be pretty damn good. Where does it stack up on the team and leaguewide? Borderline top-6 is 180th in the league, and Arty can't be that low.


Last edited by major major: 06-28-2013 at 05:18 PM.
major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:47 PM
  #71
thebus2288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Those saying he's a 3rd liner or barely top 6 are crazy. Maybe he was hurt to much for you guys to remember correctly. He'd be a top 2 line center/wing on any team in the league. He's our top center right now and I don't see it changing anytime soon unless we bring in somebody new. There's this stuff about how Johansen was out there shutting down Thornton and all the elite centers in the league, when in reality I think AA was doing more of this than anybody. The dude has all the tools and a solid toolbox. He's perfected only a few things as of now but there's a real possibility this guy turns into an AWESOME hockey player in the next couple years.

thebus2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:16 PM
  #72
jacketsinDC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
good deal, did not want to see him leave. one of the few players who was a legitimate offensive threat last season. I would think he is the most likely candidate for centering the first line next year. Either that or dubinsky with his 1 goal (or letestu @ $10/hr).

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:37 AM
  #73
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo61 View Post
I don't remember any of this fuss or any worries when Foligno signed his contract and this contract is basically the same thing, i think Anisimov will definitely earn this contract and will put up better number when given a little more chance offensively.

If Foligno got this same contract today I'd fuss. To me he didn't live up to his hype.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:39 AM
  #74
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Those saying he's a 3rd liner or barely top 6 are crazy. .
I know exactly what he can do and I've also stated that I don't think he's peaked and he could end up far more than what he is. I understand you are deeply in man-crush land, but his performance to date has been that of a tweener. While JK hasn't been quite as direct, his words state something similar.

Understand potential versus current performance and you'll be alright. Your words indicate you might, it might simply be that you aren't quite paying enough attention to what I was saying.

This is all the more baffling because I haven't seen much, if any, negativity toward to move or him as a player. His offensive numbers really don't justify the dollars, although they are close, but his overall game does.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:57 PM
  #75
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
If Foligno got this same contract today I'd fuss. To me he didn't live up to his hype.
I disagree. His scoring blew, for which I have made a litany of excuses, but he's great at so many things I can't complain about a few million.

And on Anisimov:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I know exactly what he can do and I've also stated that I don't think he's peaked and he could end up far more than what he is. I understand you are deeply in man-crush land, but his performance to date has been that of a tweener. While JK hasn't been quite as direct, his words state something similar.

Understand potential versus current performance and you'll be alright. Your words indicate you might, it might simply be that you aren't quite paying enough attention to what I was saying.

This is all the more baffling because I haven't seen much, if any, negativity toward to move or him as a player. His offensive numbers really don't justify the dollars, although they are close, but his overall game does.
If you want to see a man crush please see my comments to the previous post. I have a Foligno man crush, I admit it. You can tell because my piece lacked any presentation of evidence that he is anything but a middle six tweener, which Foligno assuredly is.

But Arty? Are you f*in serious? I love watching Arty play, but I also just laid out a thorough numbers-laden argument for why he is definitely top-6 now (not potential, now, and capable of first-line duty). You're accusing someone of irrationally man-crushing, but you're the one who is not dealing with the numbers or the arguments here. Show me where my argument is wrong, or lay off the man-crush charge.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.