HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bryzgalov's Agent Ritch Winter Trashes Philadelphia

Old
06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Cromster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I am not surprised. There's a reason why goalies careers have been lost in their system. I'm sure there is more wrong than goaltending.
Mason, Bryz, Boucher, Leighton, Bobrovsky, Emery, Biron, Nittymaki, Esche, Little, Burke, Cechmanek, Vanbiesbrouck, and Hextall.

These have been our goalies in recent history. Everyone refers to the Hextall era so i stopped there. Take a hard look at that list. Beezer was already washed up when he signed here, Cechmanek was good right up to the point he quit on us, Burke was washed up, Esche shoulda backed up a real number 1, Nitty was great when he was on, but was extremely streaky, Biron, well, we shoulda kept him, i got nothing bad to say about Marty B, Emery was good til his hip **** the bed. i'm glad he still playing i thought his hip would have retired him. Bob is another player we should have kept, not gonna pick that scab though. Leighton and Boosh should have been done years ago at the back up level much less starting games in the Cup finals. Which brings us to Bryz and Mason. Bryz was arguably the first legitimate starter in net since Hextall, and Mason used to be a starter, was brought in as a back up, and will compete for the starting job in camp.

So really, the goaltending issues in Philly, in my humble opinion, lie in the fact that we were short a legitimate starter for like a decade, we don't as an organization have a lot of patience, and our goalie coach's competancy has been under a lot of scrutiny.

Mason may very well be the guy to pull us out of this. This is his big second chance and unlike Bryz, he's hungry. And he comes with a decent pedigree as well. I'm just tired of this goaltending thing. Yeah it sucks but we've been starting washed up vets and backups for 10 years and still have more on ice success in the last 10 years than a lot of other teams.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'd give this a lot more credibility if it were coming from someone other than Rich Winter.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:18 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Agreed, the team and coach are a joke without Pronger propping it up.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Tripod

The fact that people have now done a 180 and are DEFENDING Bryz is a joke. For 2 years, other teams fans have ripped on Bryz. And during that time, Philly fans were being honest with what Bryz was. He was a goalie that had a bad start in Philly, then rebounded around January and played well for them...even getting Player of the Month one month. Then he got injured before the playoffs and Philly had to outscore the opponent(see Pittsburgh series).

This year, the team had a bad start while he actually played well in those loses. Then as the team played better, he got worse. Philly also had a boatload of injuries to D-men. I believe they played 13 different guys in this shortened season.

And if you go back, you will see MANY Flyer fans ripping Bryz, Lavi AND Holmgren for the last 2 years.(even though last year Philly was 8th best team overall)

With the new CBA having Cap re-capture, it made his contract more risky in the later years. His results the past 2 years made him risky in the few years. That doesn't leave much options. And then when you add in his attitude/personality, this move had to be done. Unless you like having your #1 goalie saying "the good news is, I'm not starting"

Holmgren has no plan and is certainly reactionary. He cannot accept being a bad team ON PURPOSE, like some other GM's can. And maybe that has cost the team a Cup, but it also has resulted in a Cup finals once, top 4 once, top 8 twice....in his 6 years at the helm. And that is better than most GM's.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed, the team and coach are a joke without Pronger propping it up.
They lost a Hall of Fame franchise defenseman and are struggling to replace him? Shocking.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

I think it's funny that Bryzgalov played for the Ducks for how many years, yet if you google "Ilya Bryzgalov ducks" it's all about him avoiding pucks. More than once.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
How can you give Winter the benefit of the doubt when Homer SPECIFICALLY TOLD THE MEDIA HE DIDN'T GUARANTEE WINTER ANYTHING after Winter came out and said he did? Even if he did, that should have been clarification for Winter that there was a chance Bryzgalov being bought out would happen.
So... basically it's Holmgren's word against Winter's... Now that THAT's cleared up, lets move on to Carter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
This is a business, no one knows what's been told to anyone. So many people ******** about offer sheets and trading players with long-term contracts, but that's PART OF THE GAME. Get over it. When a NTC kicks in at a certain date, you should be aware that you can be traded before that date. When a GM comes out and specifically denies a rumor that he guaranteed a player wouldn't be bought out, you should know that that player now has a chance of being bought out. This isn't hard, people.
His NTC was supposed to kick on January 1, 2012, that's about 5 months after he was traded. While I think that Carter should've realized it was fishy, I still think it's a d-bag move to offer him the NTC and move him right after signing.

TBH, if I were an NHL player I wouldn't want to deal with that clown.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:29 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Bryz had a pretty poor season, but playing behind that system and worthless D makes you look worse than you are. In a good system Bryz is a good goalie

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Van Buren Boy
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
So... basically it's Holmgren's word against Winter's... Now that THAT's cleared up, lets move on to Carter.

His NTC was supposed to kick on January 1, 2012, that's about 5 months after he was traded. While I think that Carter should've realized it was fishy, I still think it's a d-bag move to offer him the NTC and move him right after signing.

TBH, if I were an NHL player I wouldn't want to deal with that clown.
and if you were an NHL franchise you wouldn't be very successful making decisions based on emotions.

To add, if it was 1 day after the NTC kicked in and Homer wanted to trade him, do you think Carter would say, hmmm...well Homer you've been good to me so go ahead and trade me to any team you see fit. No he wouldn't do that...he would invoke his NTC.

Van Buren Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gibbs18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic View Post
I hope Bryz wins the Vezina next year.
lol Bryz is going to rot in the KHL. Nobody will sign him...

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

**** this guy and his headcase client

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Winter is such a joke. Everything he says is in his own best interest, take everything with a grain of salt.
"Everything he says is in his client's own best interest, take everything with a grain of salt."

Which is, you know, his job

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:35 PM
canwincup

Winters is an idiot......but i've lostl all respect for holmgren. Not the first time hes gone against his word. Has signed many players to HUGE contracts and just lets them go. If i was a FA i'd think twice before signing in Philly

canwincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:37 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

hopefully bryz signs in edmonton
i could see the canucks lighting him for years to come if he does

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Buren Boy View Post
and if you were an NHL franchise you wouldn't be very successful making decisions based on emotions.
How do you equate my comments as "taking decisions based on emotion"?

I didn't even speak in terms of franchise, I said if I were a player, I wouldn't want to deal with Holmgren. If and when the Flyers fire him, then it's free game.

Even from an NHL franchise perspective, if a GM attempts to get sneaky I'd try to avoid him. I mean... "fool me once..." and all that.

It has nothing to do with emotion and everything to do with past experience and logic. You don't make business moves with snakes, otherwise you'll get ****ed.

Old
06-26-2013, 04:38 PM
GrindNMuck

I am Flyers fan, and im happy Bryz is gone. He can't even stop a beach ball.

GrindNMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:39 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
If that's true about telling Bryzgalov that he wasn't going to be bought out, then Holmgren is looking more and more like a habitual liar. He also promised Carter and Richards that they would not be traded shortly before he went and shipped them off to L.A. and Columbus.
This.

if this was the first time this has happened then i would give Holmgren the benefit of the doubt here but he has a track record after the Carter/Richards situation. I wouldnt doubt he said one thing to Winter and Bryz then as soon as they were gone came out and said something else.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Mike Smith bolts to Philly for big bucks. Bryz returns to Phoenix and becomes a Vezina finalist.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Mike Smith bolts to Philly for big bucks. Bryz returns to Phoenix and becomes a Vezina finalist.
Playing for a coach who won't leave him out to dry.

Old
06-26-2013, 04:42 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
He's right. Philly's defense ****ing sucks. They need to get a system in place that doesn't leave the goalies out high and dry. They can add whoever else into their goalie circus but I doubt he'll do any better than Bryzgalov.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Winter pulls this kind of **** all the time. Trashed the Flames a couple years back as well. He diffuses criticism of the player he represents by blaming the team's management.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1040447

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Winter is such a joke. Everything he says is in his own best interest, take everything with a grain of salt.
Winter is the ultimate joke & has zero integrity. None. He rips Philly but of course he had his client sign there under the exact same conditions.
He will say anything & everything if he thinks it servers his/his clients interest. He has no regard for the truth or actual honesty.
Reminded me last year on Jason Gregors show (an Edmonton radio guy) he was railing that Martin Marincin & Musil should be playing with the Oilers. He was outraged they were not. Of course, he is their agent.
He is a fraud & a joke.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Big Giant Head

im actually anxious to see how this plays out...if Bryz goes somewhere else and plays great or if a good netminder ends up in Philly and has a terrible season that'll be pretty damning evidence on Philly's "system".

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:44 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

lol

Look at the fans of division rivals coming in here to troll.

Like I said, won't miss Bryz. He'd let in some of the weakest goals.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Van Buren Boy
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
How do you equate my comments as "taking decisions based on emotion"?

I didn't even speak in terms of franchise, I said if I were a player, I wouldn't want to deal with Holmgren. If and when the Flyers fire him, then it's free game.

Even from an NHL franchise perspective, if a GM attempts to get sneaky I'd try to avoid him. I mean... "fool me once..." and all that.

It has nothing to do with emotion and everything to do with past experience and logic. You don't make business moves with snakes, otherwise you'll get ****ed.
This comment

Quote:
I still think it's a d-bag move to offer him the NTC and move him right after signing.
it's called a BUSINESS. I really don't see how it is a dirtbag move the same way i don't see a player invoking his NTC as being a dirtbag move. A contract is a contract. Carter signed knowing full well his NTC clause only kicked in a year after he signed. If he was shocked by the move then he can only blame himself for getting a little too comfortable. I don't even think the guy was pissed about being moved but more for the fact that he was moved to Columbus.

Van Buren Boy is offline   Reply With Quote