HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

CAR's 5th Overall

Old
06-27-2013, 08:21 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Any deal involving Marc Staal will have the blessing of the Canes medical staff.

And if they get the blessing, Marc Staal is worth alot more than just the 5th overall selection.

Marc Staal and Boyle for Tlusty, Murphy and #5

No deal will be made if the Canes doctors have even the slightest bit of concern with the eye.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Any deal involving Marc Staal will have the blessing of the Canes medical staff.

And if they get the blessing, Marc Staal is worth alot more than just the 5th overall selection.

No deal will be made if the Canes doctors have even the slightest bit of concern with the eye.
For the berjillionth time, the Canes aren't trading cheap, top-line talent (Tlusty) or potential future All-Stars on ELCs (Murphy and 5th) for veterans.

It's not ever going to happen. Budget team, can't afford it.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:41 AM
NotOpie
AhoInHurricanesville

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:

Put down the crack pipe . Any deal involving Marc Staal will also take into account that his last two seasons were cut short by devastating injuries (one spawned by his own brother). The eye injury had the potential to be career ending and certainly has to be characterized as career-threatening.

The Marc Staal that was drafted with the 12th pick overall in 2005 may never be the Marc Staal of 2010 or 2011. I might suggest that the 2005 draft headlined by Sidney Crosby, the fiasco that was Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Anze Kopitar, and Tuukka Rask is similar to but probably a bit lower in quality to this year's draft. So taking into account Marc's draft position, his early NHL career's stellar play, and his most recent spate of injuries, I would think the today's Marc Staal is barely worthy of this year's #5.

Has he been a very good NHL defenseman? Absolutely. Will he be going forward? Only time will tell. And that is the exact type of factor that diminishes value in the short term. As a Canes fan, I'm more than happy to take a wait and see position on the remaining Staal brother.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Chiquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
You forgot the part about the "Norris Finalist" being a UFA in a year.
No need to put quotation marks around Norris Finalist because he was a Norris Finalist and IS a great d-man (don't take my word on it.... search Scotty Bowman's opinion on him). So no need to be sarcastic. Letang is a great player and Pittsburgh is lucky to have him and would be a step back if they trade him for a draft pick and a player with a little potential. I am sure if he is traded the team will do it under the condition of signing him to a contract. $$$$$ talks and if he is traded to Carolina I am sure it would take little effort to convince Letang to sign. They have a lot of good pieces and adding one of the most talented players in the world will make the Staal brothers and the rest of the Forwards so much better.

Chiquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Bishop007

I really think Calgary should make a run at the #5 pick with an offer of:

Giordano
prospect ( goalie? )
#22 pick

Bishop007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:46 AM
McNasty

Coburn and the 11th and possibly a 3rd or later in 2014 for the 5th overall and McBain sounds like it could work for both

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:48 AM
wallym

Nobody has a problem with Giordano's play. But being on the wrong side of 30 is going to keep people from wanting to give up the #5 pick in this draft.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
NotOpie
AhoInHurricanesville

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Nobody has a problem with Giordano's play. But being on the wrong side of 30 is going to keep people from wanting to give up the #5 pick in this draft.
Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. I'm not sure what people don't understand about the value of #5 in this draft. It's a simple equation. Either you overpay or the Canes pick one of Nichushkin, Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm and end up with an 18 year old Top 9 guy in their line up for 2013-2014. These deals that equate Cowen or Daley or Gormley plus a !st round pick outside of the Top 7 are just not going to happen. I'd love to do a deal for picks to drop down a few spots, but with out overpayment, I think JR stands pat.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Sparky1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
You would trade Petry, the guy all you Oiler fans claim is a #2 defensemen, to move up two spots in the draft?
Petry is no number 2 my friend...he is playing in the #2 hole...he is a #4Dman

Sparky1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTBoonies View Post
No need to put quotation marks around Norris Finalist because he was a Norris Finalist and IS a great d-man (don't take my word on it.... search Scotty Bowman's opinion on him). So no need to be sarcastic.
I have no issue with Letang as a player. I think he's fantastic. If you can't take a little sarcasm on a message board, then I don't know what to say.

Quote:
Letang is a great player and Pittsburgh is lucky to have him and would be a step back if they trade him for a draft pick and a player with a little potential. I am sure if he is traded the team will do it under the condition of signing him to a contract. $$$$$ talks and if he is traded to Carolina I am sure it would take little effort to convince Letang to sign. They have a lot of good pieces and adding one of the most talented players in the world will make the Staal brothers and the rest of the Forwards so much better.
That's what-ifs. The FACT remains that Letang is a UFA after this season and saying it would take little effort to re-sign him is nothing but pure speculation on your part. This isn't the same as Jordan Staal where Rutherford knew for sure he'd sign an extension.

Is Letang worth a young player, 1st round pick and a prospect? Probably. Does it make sense for Carolina to give that much up? I don't think so because of the fact that he is a UFA and because of their current cap situation. Plus adding Faulk to the deal (who is the Canes best defenseman, at 21 and on an ELC) is like taking two steps forward, but 1.5 steps back.

Boom Boom Aho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
GoldenTicket

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1977 View Post
The Best deal from the Oilers is:

#7, Jeff Petry and Alex Plante
Your out to lunch. No chance the Oilers do that. The 5th may not even be as good as Petry.

GoldenTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:27 PM
GatoradeG*

12+Yandle

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:47 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
For the berjillionth time, the Canes aren't trading cheap, top-line talent (Tlusty) or potential future All-Stars on ELCs (Murphy and 5th) for veterans.

It's not ever going to happen. Budget team, can't afford it.
Budget team or not, the Hurricanes have $7.3 million of cap space with only 17 players signed for next season. Swapping Tlusty for Staal reduces that number to $5.3 million, and losing Murphy and the 5th takes away up to two ELCs.

I believe the Canes have the budget to spend to this cap, but the bottom line is that the cap hits don't add up.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:00 PM
btallett

Markov + 25th + 36th

for

5th overall

btallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Brock Anton
panthers #badnwagon

What part of 'the 'Canes can't take on any substantial contracts without trading one' don't people understand.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:16 PM
thecapsfan

LoL, most of these proposals/offers have such a low value compared to the 5th Overall pick that it's pretty much hilarious, although there are some possible negotiation starters IMO but not many.

thecapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:35 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapsfan View Post
LoL, most of these proposals/offers have such a low value compared to the 5th Overall pick that it's pretty much hilarious, although there are some possible negotiation starters IMO but not many.
Rielly
Strome
Nino
Schenn
Schenn
Alzner
Kessel
PRICE
Wheeler
VANEK
Whitney

All solid NHL players, most end up being top 6 forwards or top 4 D, the notion that a top 5 pick is going to be a star is not the case.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:36 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganORiellyFan View Post
12+Yandle
For a guy who may never be as good as Yandle? That's way too much

Old
06-27-2013, 01:38 PM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

Mark Giordano
1st (22nd)
Ryan Culkin

for

5th
Cap dump (whatever the Canes want)

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:39 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganORiellyFan View Post
12+Yandle
Yeah, Leafs fans should stop making proposals for us lol.

Gormley + 12th is the highest we'll go for the 5th. And obviously not all Yotes HFers will be on board with it.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
thecapsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Rielly
Strome
Nino
Schenn
Schenn
Alzner
Kessel
PRICE
Wheeler
VANEK
Whitney

All solid NHL players, most end up being top 6 forwards or top 4 D, the notion that a top 5 pick is going to be a star is not the case.
I never said that the 5th overall is going to be a star for certain.

thecapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:58 PM
vwg*

Quote:

Marc's injured eye could heal 100% and he could grow a 3rd eye in the back of his head for an extra if he gets hurt again and I still wouldn't give that package for him. Rangers fans can keep dreaming though.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:06 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapsfan View Post
I never said that the 5th overall is going to be a star for certain.
I know but it is valued that way

Old
06-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Xylo
We still have a team

Just a friendly reminder that A) it's going to take overpayment for JR to deal the pick, and B) these discussions are based on the situation where your team's number one draft target is there at five. Don't think in terms of it's just fifth overall. Think in terms of this is your franchises dream guy in this draft.

Xylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:56 PM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylo View Post
Just a friendly reminder that A) it's going to take overpayment for JR to deal the pick, and B) these discussions are based on the situation where your team's number one draft target is there at five. Don't think in terms of it's just fifth overall. Think in terms of this is your franchises dream guy in this draft.
?

My teams number one target/dream would be MacKinnon. You're not making much sense?

Realistically you're trading for one of:
- Nichushkin
- Monahan
- Lindholm
- Nurse

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote