HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread IV (draft tracker post #1) (Mod note post #152)

Old
07-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Brock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think there's a tendency to see someone big who can play well as possibly being able to do it because of being more physically mature. Someone who's huge can simply steamroll his opponent in junior hockey, which isn't going to fly in the NHL. There's about 30 first-rounders from 1996-2000 whose poor pro careers prove that.

Now as far as the qualifier of "especially for a big man", it may just be related to the stereotype that physical size is inversely related to intelligence.
Bingo.

There's a stereotype about power wingers like Moutrey having tunnel vision. They get the puck and they have one thing on their mind, going hard to the net looking to score. Or they are hard workers on the cycle and know how to use their size to protect the puck, but require other players to finish off the play.

And to the credit of the stereotype...how many of the NHL's elite passers/playmakers are guys Moutrey's size? Not too often you get power forward types who are also terrific playmakers.

Moutrey needs to shoot more actually IMO. He works hard along the wall and does actually know how to find a teammate with the puck for a scoring chance. And he'll drive hard to the net, but keeps his head up to look pass too. That's essentially what I meant.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
Just the fact that his cat has twitter AND tweets regularly has amused me greatly.
saw some talk between him and the CBJ Twitter feed. Apparently his little sister does the cat twitter.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:59 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I wasn't here on draft day, but boy if you thought I was a downer after drafting Murray last year, some of you topped me.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:30 PM
RDriesenUD

Wennberg thinks Blue Jackets are a good fit

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675935

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:02 PM
JacketsFanWest

Markus Søberg says he is considering the CHL (the import draft is tomorrow) or staying with Frölunda. He played for Frölunda's J20 team last season.

Wennberg will be playing for Frölunda in the SEL/SHL next season, but chances are that Søberg would be a reserve for them - sitting on the bench and barely playing if he did stay considering the number of established players they have. He might be better off signing with an Allsvenskan team where he would get consistent playing time, or coming to the CHL.

http://www.tv2.no/sport/ishockey/mar...e-4081397.html

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:09 PM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Bingo.

There's a stereotype about power wingers like Moutrey having tunnel vision. They get the puck and they have one thing on their mind, going hard to the net looking to score. Or they are hard workers on the cycle and know how to use their size to protect the puck, but require other players to finish off the play.

And to the credit of the stereotype...how many of the NHL's elite passers/playmakers are guys Moutrey's size? Not too often you get power forward types who are also terrific playmakers.

Moutrey needs to shoot more actually IMO. He works hard along the wall and does actually know how to find a teammate with the puck for a scoring chance. And he'll drive hard to the net, but keeps his head up to look pass too. That's essentially what I meant.
Brock, I think Moutrey is going to surprise a lot of people and the young Blue Jackets team is a great fit. Watch for him to have a great year with the Spirit, Think Jamie Benn, 5th rounder.

clearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i think after Soberg gets here next week for camp we'll know more about that situation...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:18 PM
JacketsFanWest

With the import draft tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if he's taken. Some team make take a chance on him, since players don't have to declare themselves eligible. However, his rights could then get traded if a team takes him that isn't right.

He's a kid who needs time to develop and the right coach. More time in the Swedish SuperElit (J20) league may not be a bad thing, but he's going to be negotiating with Swedish teams trying to get on their senior team and likely using the CHL as leverage.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Heatherington

I really think you guys made the highest value pick in the second round. He plays for my old hometown Broncos, so whenever they come to Saskatoon, I make it a point to watch them. I can't think of one player in the Dub who has improved more from the beginning of the season to its end which suggests that his development curve isn't close to plateauing: beautiful skater, big frame that can add significantly more muscle, and truly elite defensive awareness. With proper development I'd project him as a minute-eating shut-down second pairing guy, with the potential to complement a first pairing PMD (in a Seabrook-like role).

This is from the local play-by-play announcer so there's some homerism, but you might find some of his comments interesting:
http://shawnmullin.wordpress.com/

Of more value is a short interview (segment 6 starting at the 11:30 mark) with Ross McLean from ISS: http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...372132800&sn=8. On a sidenote, "Coming Down the Pipe" is a fairly decent resource for those interested in major junior/college hockey and the amateur draft.

I'll always be a Bruins fan, but the Jackets have become my #2 team so I'm happy they appear to have had a strong overall draft. Best of luck, although with your new management team I'm guessing you won't need all that much.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:09 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Here's a good 5 minute video of Wennberg at the U20's last year. I'm really liking this guy, and another year in the Swedish Professional league should put him in a position to challenge for a spot in 2014. I see some Anisimov in his game, solid 2 way forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hzRaJNl6Us
I think that is a good comparison.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:10 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I'm sure you guys have learned a lot about Rychel already, so I won't touch on that (unless you want me to), but I thought I'd come bearing some info on Nick Moutrey.

I had him rated as the 16th best OHL prospect available this year.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...r-2013_26.html

I think he was a great selection where you guys got him. Underrated offensive ability.
Thanks

Old
07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

So, this Dano guy...

Is he going to make the jump to the NHL this year? AHL? CHL? I'm confused, he says he wants to play in NA, but I'm not sure about where he would end up?

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:18 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
So, this Dano guy...

Is he going to make the jump to the NHL this year? AHL? CHL? I'm confused, he says he wants to play in NA, but I'm not sure about where he would end up?
NHL? Doubt it. I think his ultimate destination will be determined by him and if he chooses NA, some lawyers.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:56 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
NHL? Doubt it. I think his ultimate destination will be determined by him and if he chooses NA, some lawyers.
Seems like he is pretty committed to come over. After the fighting, I'm just not sure where he ends up.

Wouldn't it be better for him to stay overseas and play there than in the AHL?

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:07 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Seems like he is pretty committed to come over. After the fighting, I'm just not sure where he ends up.

I would think the A is better for European players to help then acclimate to the North American game. Don't know for sure but it seems like it makes sense.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:21 PM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I would think the A is better for European players to help then acclimate to the North American game. Don't know for sure but it seems like it makes sense.
It may not mean much but Slovan has the smallest rink in KHL, almost NHL-sized, so it could be easier for Dano to get used to NHL than for many other Euro players.

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:

Personal choice. If you want to have a better chance of making the #CBJ, you probably want to be in the #AHL so you can get a call up if you earn it. You won't get called up if you are in the #KHL.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:03 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Olly delights

ImGoingNucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Ebbisen

vCash: 374
Björkstrand really have a good wrister

Ebbisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:23 AM
EDM

That video of Björkstrand is pretty impressive.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:43 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbisen View Post
Björkstrand really have a good wrister
Yeah, he is a sniiiper , But am I the only one that thinks he has an awkward drag and release? I mean don't get me wrong it works, but it looks very unorthodox.. Also, this kid shoots, ALOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Yeah, you guys really have a steal there

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 07-03-2013 at 07:04 AM.
ImGoingNucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:49 AM
InjuredChoker

Pronman on Columbus and other East team drafts

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Impressive for sure. Seems like good puck skills and a nose for the net. His skating will need work but I don't think it held Vinny Prospal back... If he has work ethic and desire I think he'll be a great fit some day.

He's also bigger than I thought. I thought he was a little guy but he seemed a few inches taller than his teammates on the ice ????

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:46 PM
JacketsFanWest

No CBJ draft picks chosen in the 1st round of the CHL import draft.

Dansk's Erie Otters selected Burakovsky #5, but there's no guarantees he will come over. Erie needs help and would be great if Dansk could convince him to play for them. I'd hate to see Erie continue to be terrible and Dansk continue to struggle next season with 40-50 shots a game.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
stevo61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Here's a good 5 minute video of Wennberg at the U20's last year. I'm really liking this guy, and another year in the Swedish Professional league should put him in a position to challenge for a spot in 2014. I see some Anisimov in his game, solid 2 way forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hzRaJNl6Us
2 way game is pretty strongly developed, good backcheck. Smart kid, can see in that short clip why people really talk about his hockey IQ. Things you can pick out of that clip though is he obviously needs to get way stronger, got pushed around a bit once he got in close. Seems to be very good at carrying the puck up the ice and always seems to look for and find open teammates. He's going to need a trigger man with him (maybe if Rychel's goal scoring translates they could develop together?). I guess there is some of Anisimov's game in him in terms of the 2 way game but personally when i look strictly offensively i see huge differences between the 2. I like what both do, just very different styles in my eyes

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote