HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread IV (draft tracker post #1) (Mod note post #152)

Old
06-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
I've been reading the Mock draft threads.

Apparently we really need help on the D end. We have to get someone to pair with Murray or we are lost.

There are some guys that we simply cannot pass on at 14 & 19.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Xoggz22

I still think that Nichushkin is the big time wild card. If he goes #3 to TB like some think, that pushes Drouin and Barkov down to 4/5 (most likely). Nashville would have a tough choice but say they take Drouin. That leaves Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm with Carolina unlikely to need a C, the 5 spot becomes a very hot commodity in my opinion.

Calgary probably doesn't care who falls to them because they need help everywhere. Edmonton fans say a big C is wanted but MacT says they would prefer to trade their picks and improve "now". I'm a very big Lindholm fan but any of those three would be great to have in my opinion. I can see a move by the CBJ to get to either #5 or #7 (I don't see Calgary moving #6 unless it's to get to the top 5 which seems silly in this scenario (unless of course they have Drouin or Nichushkin rate much higer than the 3 C listed above).

If we could land Lindholm, Barkov or Monahan without giving up Johansen I think that would be wonderful for this club. Can't wait to see what happens between now and tomorrow....

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I've been reading the Mock draft threads.

Apparently we really need help on the D end. We have to get someone to pair with Murray or we are lost.

There are some guys that we simply cannot pass on at 14 & 19.
While I understand the sarcasm and agree that it would appear to not be a NEED thing more than a BPA thing, if the picks aren't moved and players like Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pulock, Morrisey or Morin are the BPA at the time of our picks(wherever they are), I think you take them. I'm of the opinion you take the skill set and attitude and worry about filling holes in other manners. These kids are simply assets to the team. Who knows what we'll need next year or 3 years or 5 years down the road.

Saying that, I'm hopeful we can improve the forwards in the system or the big club with a young forward, but I won't be disappointed if the chips fall the way of dropping defensemen in our lap. I don't think we'll be picking 3 times in the 1st round but I guess we'll see tomorrow....

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
While I understand the sarcasm and agree that it would appear to not be a NEED thing more than a BPA thing, if the picks aren't moved and players like Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pulock, Morrisey or Morin are the BPA at the time of our picks(wherever they are), I think you take them. I'm of the opinion you take the skill set and attitude and worry about filling holes in other manners. These kids are simply assets to the team. Who knows what we'll need next year or 3 years or 5 years down the road.

Saying that, I'm hopeful we can improve the forwards in the system or the big club with a young forward, but I won't be disappointed if the chips fall the way of dropping defensemen in our lap. I don't think we'll be picking 3 times in the 1st round but I guess we'll see tomorrow....
BPA is what most of them say but at that point, unless the player in question is a huge slide, can't see how choosing BPA is anything more than an exercise in hairsplitting or beauty in the eye of the beholder.

ie: Pulock/Wennberg Ristolainen/Horvat

But as you say we'll see tomorrow.

most of the Mocks don't take into account trades. I am of the opinion that JK will use 2 of the top 4 picks in a trade of some type for immediate scoring help; either in the form of an NHL player or moving up to draft one they think can step in, range 5-10.

Old
06-29-2013, 09:01 AM
EspenK

Quote:
BPA is what most of them say but at that point, unless the player in question is a huge slide, can't see how choosing BPA is anything more than an exercise in hairsplitting or beauty in the eye of the beholder.

most of the Mocks don't take into account trades. I am of the opinion that JK will use 2 of the top 4 picks in a trade of some type for immediate scoring help; either in the form of an NHL player or moving up to draft one they think can step in, range 5-10.
We agree

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
...most of the Mocks don't take into account trades...
And that's the bottom line about mock drafts - there's no way to account for player availability because trades can't be predicted. One trade near the top of the order and everything could change. It's great fun speculating, but the reveal, tomorrow, probably will be unlike any projections we've seen. I'm really becoming very impatient. Let's get started!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:40 AM
EDM

While none of that can be predicted, that has certainly not prevented everyone from trying to make predictions. Well, tomorrow it will finally be over and done. I don't have any real preferences. I just hope that at the end of the day, there is something to be excited about as a CBJ fan.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:49 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I'm really becoming very impatient. Let's get started!
I've been ready for the draft to be mover since the thread #1 on this topic, for various reasons. One because I am ready for the new season and this next 2-3 weeks gives us a much clearer idea of what our roster will look like next season. Another is because of the (over)value(ation) that people place on this kids.

Let's get this done.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:53 AM
RDriesenUD

I still don't want us to trade up, unless we are getting MacKinnon. I like quite a few guys who will go in the top 8, but I just think there are too many good players in this draft to trade extra assets to move up into the top 8.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 10:44 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
While none of that can be predicted, that has certainly not prevented everyone from trying to make predictions. Well, tomorrow it will finally be over and done. I don't have any real preferences. I just hope that at the end of the day, there is something to be excited about as a CBJ fan.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I've been ready for the draft to be mover since the thread #1 on this topic, for various reasons. One because I am ready for the new season and this next 2-3 weeks gives us a much clearer idea of what our roster will look like next season. Another is because of the (over)value(ation) that people place on this kids.

Let's get this done.
I agree, except I'm not as disturbed by the valuations expressed by our fellow fans. You're always willing to argue based on facts, but there's really no point in arguing opinions.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I agree, except I'm not as disturbed by the valuations expressed by our fellow fans. You're always willing to argue based on facts, but there's really no point in arguing opinions.
Yeah, well, that's your opinion.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Sure there is. If you sufficiently browbeat folks to agree with you, it validates your opinion even more.

Not that my opinions need validation. After all, I came up with them, and I put lots of hard work and careful thought into formulating them, so they're obviously perfect. Dunno about that stuff the rest of y'all come up with, tho.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Hunter Shinkaruk

Opinions Please!

As I have often admitted, I am no expert, so I turn to those that know more than I.

Is he NHL ready? His birthday is Oct 13, 1994 so he won't be 19 until late this year, and I believe that makes him ineligible for the AHL. Another Big club or back to Juniors question. Is he good enough to play top six right away?

Is he worth moving up and going after & what might it take?

I don't know why he intrigues me but he does. So is he a horse worth betting on?

Handicapping assistance appreciated.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Opinions Please!

As I have often admitted, I am no expert, so I turn to those that know more than I.

Is he NHL ready? His birthday is Oct 13, 1994 so he won't be 19 until late this year, and I believe that makes him ineligible for the AHL. Another Big club or back to Juniors question. Is he good enough to play top six right away?

I don't know why he intrigues me but he does. So is he a horse worth betting on?

FWIW some Shinkaruk discussion on first page of this thread. (Not being snotty, just trying to give you more discussion sooner).

Old
06-29-2013, 11:46 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Opinions Please!

I'm 99.66% sure he can't go AHL this yr. Actually with an October birthday he is one of the older prospects.

I don't see him NHL ready from what I've read. Too small (slight).
If he is available at 14 he will probably be one of 3 or 4 forward to consider.

From Sore Loser's comments he sounds like a good bet. Hopefully he'll weigh in again.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:55 AM
FVM
60 degrees north

vCash: 1301
Jarmo and staff with Seth Jones.

Look at Jarmo Kekäläinen. What a bad ass. A Bond supervillain with icy presence and charisma. While Jones is being grilled I keep expecting one wrong word and Jarmo presses a red button under the table revealing some futuristic torture machine.

FVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
FWIW some Shinkaruk discussion on first page of this thread. (Not being snotty, just trying to give you more discussion sooner).
Saw that. Thanks

And no has really said if he's ready. I've gone off the boards a all I can find is that he's really good, a true sniper in every sense of the word, not afraid of the hard spots, uber competitive, a leader, all around great kid, and a projected high draft choice.

But nowhere have I seen anyone project where he'll be next year. And I haven't seen anyone here espouse going up to get him. Take him if he falls sure.

SO, how good is he? Is he worth spending to get him?

Old
06-29-2013, 01:10 PM
RDriesenUD

I wouldn't trade up to get Shinkaruk and I wouldn't want him on the Jackets next year if we do draft him.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:21 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
Jarmo and staff with Seth Jones.

Look at Jarmo Kekäläinen. What a bad ass. A Bond supervillain with icy presence and charisma. While Jones is being grilled I keep expecting one wrong word and Jarmo presses a red button under the table revealing some futuristic torture machine.
Jarmo is scary. So glad he's on our side.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Opinions Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I'm 99.66% sure he can't go AHL this yr. Actually with an October birthday he is one of the older prospects.

I don't see him NHL ready from what I've read. Too small (slight).
If he is available at 14 he will probably be one of 3 or 4 forward to consider.

From Sore Loser's comments he sounds like a good bet. Hopefully he'll weigh in again.
Quote:
Saw that. Thanks

And no has really said if he's ready. I've gone off the boards a all I can find is that he's really good, a true sniper in every sense of the word, not afraid of the hard spots, uber competitive, a leader, all around great kid, and a projected high draft choice.

But nowhere have I seen anyone project where he'll be next year. And I haven't seen anyone here espouse going up to get him. Take him if he falls sure.

SO, how good is he? Is he worth spending to get him?
Shinkaruk won't be NHL ready next year, in my opinion ... but, I thought the same thing abut Jeff Skinner in his draft year, and he proved me wrong. They're similar types of players. He's not AHL eligible next year, so it's either the NHL or the WHL.

As for trading up to get him, I think it's a remote possibility. It could happen, but I don't see really a need to, as he may fall right into our laps at 14. And, if he doesn't, it wouldn't be the end of the world, because it means that (likely) a guy like Horvat is available at 14, which certainly isn't a bad consolation prize.

I like sitting at 14 and seeing what falls to us. A few teams ahead of us are going to have to take big risks and make tough decisions. Who knows how one team values an undersized, skilled forward? Shinkaruk could get snatched up as early as 6th in my estimation - it just depends on the GM making the pick.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Shinkaruk won't be NHL ready next year, in my opinion ... but, I thought the same thing abut Jeff Skinner in his draft year, and he proved me wrong. They're similar types of players. He's not AHL eligible next year, so it's either the NHL or the WHL.

As for trading up to get him, I think it's a remote possibility. It could happen, but I don't see really a need to, as he may fall right into our laps at 14. And, if he doesn't, it wouldn't be the end of the world, because it means that (likely) a guy like Horvat is available at 14, which certainly isn't a bad consolation prize.

I like sitting at 14 and seeing what falls to us. A few teams ahead of us are going to have to take big risks and make tough decisions. Who knows how one team values an undersized, skilled forward? Shinkaruk could get snatched up as early as 6th in my estimation - it just depends on the GM making the pick.
Many thanks. That pretty well covers it.

You might box him in a trifecta but nothing on the nose, got it.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:

I think Horvat would be a bad pick at #14, tbh. Though I'm biased towards Pulock.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:14 PM
grindline

I have said this before when I posted my list but I'm seriously into taking Valentin Zykov at 14 even if it is a slight reach. I like his size and goalscoring ability but I'm surprised by the fact that he seems to be good at slipping into space in good offensive positions. I also like the fact that he travelled half way around the world as a teenage nobody to go to a place in Quebec I had never heard of outside hockey. To me that is a mark of drive and dedication.

grindline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:16 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Im cool with Zykov, but I've heard we are really into Max Domi

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Im cool with Zykov, but I've heard we are really into Max Domi
Those are my two favorites, though its only based on what I've read. 14 & 19, please.