HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valeri "labeled" A MUST READ

Old
06-26-2013, 06:55 PM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Valeri "labeled" A MUST READ

Thoughts?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...s-chief-scout/

Last edited by PFL615: 06-26-2013 at 07:00 PM.
PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

High risk/high reward player. No surprises here.

Top 4 is set in stone from what I can tell so I don't see how this concerns us.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Just a validation of a lot of comments on this board. He's enigmatic and doesn't bend to what is expected of most draft prospects. All in all, he sounds like a VERY talented player. He also sounds uncoachable. My biggest concern would be his willingness, or lack thereof, to respond to Trotz's instruction.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:07 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
High risk/high reward player. No surprises here.

Top 4 is set in stone from what I can tell so I don't see how this concerns us.
He has been the topic of conversation for several days now and is still a possible to be drafted by Nashville. How does it not concern us?

Old
06-26-2013, 07:14 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Yet ISS has him ranked #4 in their May 2013 rankings while Jones dropped to #2. It's only more confirmation that there are about 5 top tier players taletwise and teams need to decide based on what their scouts saw, not what we read in blogs or see on Youtube.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:37 PM
PFL615

I hope the Preds scouts saw what they needed to when he is quoted as being arrogant. Also quiting and walking out on tests and interviews with teams at the combine.
How many top 10 prospects have done that?

Old
06-26-2013, 07:58 PM
iKiwi

Pass, ans besides, I'm getting more and more confident we are still gonna get our man Barkov..

iKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:01 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

OK so some fans on a discussion board discussed a player who might be on the Preds' draft board. Are we going to have a new thread any time something comes up to validate one side or the other? I think the biggest concern wasn't Nich himself. It was the labeling of players based on their country of origin rather than their individual attributes. That is where the **** storm came from, not from a simple discussion of a player.

I think most of us still want Barkov or Drouin, and that is how it has been since after the draft lottery.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:26 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

sounds like lindros...

lets draft him

lol

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:32 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

lol, there's no way 615 would have wanted any part of drafting Lindros.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:37 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

and just look at what he turned out to be, as a player.

I feel Nich will prove a lot of doubters wrong.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:45 PM
glenngineer

While combines and interviews are a nice thing to do, does it really show the measure of a young kid? Football has been doing combines for years and how has that worked out? Anyone remember Tony Mandarich? What about Brian Bosworth? How about Hugh Douglas? These guys were phenoms at the combine and failed miserably in the NFL. Look at guys that dropped and didn't put up the scores that others did at the combine. Emmitt Smith went 22 if I remember correctly. The leading rusher of all time. Jimmy Johnson always looked at game film to determine what these kids could do. He wanted to see if they made plays on the field. Running low times in the 40 and bench pressing 225 lbs. a million times is great but how does it relate to on the field work.

Same can be said about hockey, what do any of these kids do on the ice? His combine sucked. His interviews weren't the best. What did Poile and Fenton think of the kid at the end of the day. Is he coachable? Does he have upside or has he hit his plateau? Is he a team guy? When I see things like he's amazing with the puck, has a great shot, is big, blocks shots and back checks, it tells me the kid is a complete hockey player. A lazy kid who didn't care about the game or the team, especially with his talent, wouldn't be blocking shots and back checking.

He may be a bust. He may have some serious character issues but unless any one of us were in that interview room with him and heard what he had to say, how do any of us know? Sure, the reports came back that most weren't impressed. There will be some team that takes a chance on him. Will it be the Preds? I have no idea but Poile is one for due diligence when it comes to the draft and his players. If there is any concern about him as a person and/or a player, then Poile passes. It's that simple.

I'm very curious as to who drafts him on Sunday. He could be a keeper, a bust or the steal of the draft. Only time will tell. Only time will tell with any of these kids. It's a crap shoot and you hope for the best. With the 4th overall pick we should land a dynamic talent, whoever it is. What we do with that player and what that player does for us is up to the team and the player. It works both ways.

I just want Sunday to get here already.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
PFL615

Yeah sureeee.....he was just mentioned a couple times. What i saw was people clamoring for him because suddenly certain players may not be available at #4. I even remember people saying they would pick Valeri over Jones if it came to head at the forth pick.
The Russian thing was blown way out of proportion and i won't get into why.

The post about how good NFL players do at the combine and so on. Look Valerie never did anything physical we know that from earlier reports. "His interviews weren't the best"
That is a little short changing. Teams were not impressed amd he quit several evaluations?? Are you serious!
Especially after he is quoted that he did not care about the tests and just really wanted to talk to teams. So you got your chance at the only thing you think you are worthy of doing and you walk out on some of them and leave an impression with most that you are an a.s.s.???? Quote: I don't prepare or workout because i do not want to be exuasted during the season.. What????
This is coming from the head scout of ISS not some on the forecheck blogger.
Downplay it all you want the guy has no business in Nashville at the #4 pick.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Jubal

So nothing has actually changed since the combine, this is just some guys speculating about him like we all have been doing?

Okay... So it's the same discussion we've been having. Just this article articulates your opinion so you started a new thread about it.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:13 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Yeah sureeee.....he was just mentioned a couple times. What i saw was people clamoring for him because suddenly certain players may not be available at #4. I even remember people saying they would pick Valeri over Jones if it came to head at the forth pick.

The post about how good NFL players do at the combine and so on. Look Valerie never did anything physical we know that from earlier reports. "His interviews weren't the best"
That is a little short changing. Teams were not impressed amd he quit several evaluations?? Are you serious!
Especially after he is quoted that he did not care about the tests and just really wanted to talk to teams. So you got your chance at the only thing you think you are worthy of doing and you walk out on some of them and leave an impression with most that you are an a.s.s.???? Quote: I don't prepare or workout because i do not want to be exuasted during the season.. What????
I don't think he gets picked at 4 because he's not in the top 4 talent wise. I just think what goes on at the combine gets blown out of proportion, both ways. I see what you're saying but the only thing that should be a concern is what can the kid do on the ice. He is still not in the top 4 because of that. If it comes down to him and Jones, Jones is the easy pick. I wouldn't think twice about it if I'm Poile, regardless of team need. You take the best player at 4. It's easy. Whoever the other three teams take, you take the one remaining. If Tampa takes Nich, then we have a choice to make at 4 as two players, at least one of which is a forward is left. I still say you go with the BPA. If it's Barkov and Drouin, I would take Drouin. If it's Barkov and Jones, I take Jones. Nothing against Barkov but as good as he is, is he the best guy on the board. If it's Drouin and Jones, then it's a toss up and you win either way.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
So nothing has actually changed since the combine, this is just some guys speculating about him like we all have been doing?

Okay... So it's the same discussion we've been having. Just this article articulates your opinion so you started a new thread about it.
Umm no it is the head scout atat ISS who obviously has knowledge of what happened at the combine not sime "guys" speculation.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:15 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I didn't say he was only mentioned a couple of times. I said he was discussed as a possibility. Why it seemed like he was being clamored for was because of something completely unrelated to the draft, and you're right, we shouldn't re-open that can of worms.

All I'm saying is there is only so many ways to say "the kid is arrogant and I don't want him" before we're just running in circles. It's cool. Some fans want nothing to do with him. Some fans are talking about the possibility of it being down to Jones or a skilled forward, maybe Nich. It doesn't mean we're clamoring for him just like those of you who want nothing to do with him aren't a bunch of close minded, know-nothing hockey fans for having that opinion. I think this horse is dead.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:16 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

It should be noted that when a poster, I forgot who, said he had not seen Nich placed at #4 in any publicized ranking and I mentioned how ISS had him at #4 it was dismissed.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I don't think he gets picked at 4 because he's not in the top 4 talent wise. I just think what goes on at the combine gets blown out of proportion, both ways. I see what you're saying but the only thing that should be a concern is what can the kid do on the ice. He is still not in the top 4 because of that. If it comes down to him and Jones, Jones is the easy pick. I wouldn't think twice about it if I'm Poile, regardless of team need. You take the best player at 4. It's easy. Whoever the other three teams take, you take the one remaining. If Tampa takes Nich, then we have a choice to make at 4 as two players, at least one of which is a forward is left. I still say you go with the BPA. If it's Barkov and Drouin, I would take Drouin. If it's Barkov and Jones, I take Jones. Nothing against Barkov but as good as he is, is he the best guy on the board. If it's Drouin and Jones, then it's a toss up and you win either way.
I agree with most if that. I do not think you take a guy like that at #4. It's not just what he does on the ice. How is a guy like that going to get along with Trotz, other coaches, and players. It's just not very smart. You don't ignore smoke when it is coming from multiple sources. If he is available in round 2 sure take a risk.
Also, i would take Barkov over Druin and Jones. He fits to a T what the Predators need. Size, skill, center, character guy, works his ass off, not flashy, two way player.... On and on. I would pay almost stupidly to be sure we got him or Mac.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:04 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:

He never walked out of an interview..... he quit on the combine PSYCHICAL tests after not training for it, completely different then just getting up and leaving a conference with a team that may pick him.

Once again something with Nich gets blown out of context

EDIT: heres the quote
Quote:
“And then he shows up at the (NHL rookie) Combine and acts very arrogantly and has terrible interviews and quits on a lot of the tests, and has a lot of teams saying, ‘You know what? No thanks.’
terrible interviews and quitting on tests does not mean he walked out of an interview.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:20 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
He has been the topic of conversation for several days now and is still a possible to be drafted by Nashville. How does it not concern us?
Because I don't think he is rated(on our board) ahead of any of: Jones, Barkov, Mackinnon, Drouin.

We will get one of those 4, so long as we don't trade down.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:34 AM
thecloser

for some reason I wanna see us draft Nich because I wanna see our pick play this upcoming year and i don't think Barkov is that guy.

I know i will probably catch a bunch of crap for saying I would like to see us get Nich but I still would love to see Barkov. I'm cool with either guys.

I really think Nich is gonna be very good.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:50 AM
Jubal

Quote:
Umm no it is the head scout atat ISS who obviously has knowledge of what happened at the combine not sime "guys" speculation.
You're still just trying to articulate your opinion and make yourself seem more right by posting an article that says the same stuff that's been argued before. I'm just saying I don't see why it couldn't have just been posted in the draft thread, other than you trying really hard to seem right because it bothers you so much that people like a player that you don't.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Predsrule

Can anyone tell me how jones Mac or dourin did at their test in the combine ? Oh wait that's right they didn't do them...

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:50 AM
iKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Can anyone tell me how jones Mac or dourin did at their test in the combine ? Oh wait that's right they didn't do them...
Oh wait, I heard they played in this memorial cup thing??

iKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote