HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The Avalounge: So at last we meet for the first time for the last time

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2013, 11:59 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Anything with Amber Heard is good.

How about some Aussie films... Restraint and Wish You Were Here are both good.

If not you can always watch Hot Fuzz.
This always needs to be a suggestion.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Landeslog

vCash: 500
Jwk, god totally gets how important the draft is. He'll understand.

Safety not garaunteed is a great movie.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:15 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
KOTOR 1 > KOTOR 2. Then all the other games. It's also up there with Mass Effect 1 for best BioWare game.

I'll also be at church during the draft, though my church does a 5PM ET mass that probably won't interfere with the Avs pick. I can't wait for the ****storm

Old
06-27-2013, 01:37 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
KOTOR 1 > KOTOR 2. Then all the other games. It's also up there with Mass Effect 1 for best BioWare game.

I'll also be at church during the draft, though my church does a 5PM ET mass that probably won't interfere with the Avs pick. I can't wait for the ****storm
Not you too Chibi.

Kotor II is more fun

Old
06-27-2013, 05:29 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:

ME2 > ME1

i'd even go as far to say that mass effect 2 was my favourite game from this generation of consoles, haven't played uncharted 2/3 though.

at the draft time too early!

Old
06-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I liked Mass Effect for the most part. Mechanically the combat sucked, like all third person shooters but the story was interesting.

That said, I played through ME3 a month ago and have already forgotten most of the missions. Very forgettable stuff.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:25 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
So I'm controlling the Avs in a GM Game on the Mock Draft Sub-Forum.

Want to know, would you have done this deal? (It didn't happen, but I wanted to gauge my fellow Avs fans opinions)

Trouba
Enstrom
Little
2013 2nd Rd (CHI)

for

1st Overall
Stastny

And secondly, Danny Briere was put on waivers, I thought of placing a claim on him and waiving David Jones, basically bumping up my salary cap by 2.5M in the end...thoughts?

***EDIT***

And just like in real life, the guy using the Lightning put Lecavlier on waivers as well...what to do, what to do...

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles

Last edited by RockLobster: 06-27-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old
06-27-2013, 09:08 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
So I'm controlling the Avs in a GM Game on the Mock Draft Sub-Forum.

Want to know, would you have done this deal? (It didn't happen, but I wanted to gauge my fellow Avs fans opinions)

Trouba
Enstrom
Little
2013 2nd Rd (CHI)

for

1st Overall
Stastny

And secondly, Danny Briere was put on waivers, I thought of placing a claim on him and waiving David Jones, basically bumping up my salary cap by 2.5M in the end...thoughts?

***EDIT***

And just like in real life, the guy using the Lightning put Lecavlier on waivers as well...what to do, what to do...
That's a tempting package, and it adds quality depth to the D. But I don't think you can trade completely out of the 1st round, even with Trouba as part of the return.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:12 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
ME2 > ME1

i'd even go as far to say that mass effect 2 was my favourite game from this generation of consoles, haven't played uncharted 2/3 though.

at the draft time too early!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I liked Mass Effect for the most part. Mechanically the combat sucked, like all third person shooters but the story was interesting.

That said, I played through ME3 a month ago and have already forgotten most of the missions. Very forgettable stuff.
The only thing I didn't like about ME1 was the landing on every planet ever and driving around up and down mountains stupid PITA goatfaced Mako missions.

ME2 stuff was pretty cool except I am the kind of person who would HAVE to deplete every single visited planet of all its resources, which was rather time-consuming.

I'm just now playing ME3 and I like it so far, though I'm at about 25ish hours played and all my theaters are still at 50% readiness x.x I've found that there are minor and major side missions, and the major ones are pretty cool, but the minor ones are more or less worthless outside of building reputation.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:29 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
The only thing I didn't like about ME1 was the landing on every planet ever and driving around up and down mountains stupid PITA goatfaced Mako missions.

ME2 stuff was pretty cool except I am the kind of person who would HAVE to deplete every single visited planet of all its resources, which was rather time-consuming.

I'm just now playing ME3 and I like it so far, though I'm at about 25ish hours played and all my theaters are still at 50% readiness x.x I've found that there are minor and major side missions, and the major ones are pretty cool, but the minor ones are more or less worthless outside of building reputation.
the mako made me hate mass effect 1. so much damn time trying to go up hills that it just wouldn't want to go up, every 3rd planet.

in ME2 shooting the probe was much quicker than travelling around in the mako picking up the resources plus shooting probes to uranus was humorous. i especially liked the DLC in the second game. plus everything felt fresh had a movie-esque type experience for me, somewhat reminiscent to watching inception for the 1st time which i really enjoyed i was sitting halfway off my seat with intrigue. The game mechanics seemed to clean up alot better in ME2 , there would be times in mass effect 1 i would get pushed by a biotic and I would be knocked down for infinite time due to glitches and texture's wouldn't load well when progressing through the level, most of these issue's were cleaned up in 2, the cover system also worked much better.

mass effect 3 was good but felt like more of the same in 2, plus the ending controversy made me want to finish the game up and see the ending.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:49 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

So I was chatting after my rec league game last night with one of the guys on my team. I knew he had switched jobs a while back, but never really found out who his new employer was. Turns out the dude works for Octagon, the agency that represents Landeskog (as well as a couple Caps and other players around the league). I thought that was pretty rad. He doesn't work much with the players though

Old
06-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway View Post
Kotor's gameplay is simple (and I agree the blaster sucks, but who uses a blaster?), but its still is fantastic imo. The game plays perfectly on hard.

And BG2 isn't close to as good as Kotor let alone Dragon Age 1 and any of the Mass Effect series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I still like BG1 over BG2. The openness, freedom to travel outdoors, and not constantly follow quests for others rocks. There's a mod you can download that allows you to play BG1 with the BG2 interface.
Having not too long ago replayed BG1, I would agree that it gets seriously overlooked by a lot of gamers. Modded to play on the BG2 engine makes it look and play perfectly acceptably. I didn't even use the widescreen mod and it looked great on my 22' monitor. I still think BG2 has better gameplay, characters, and story though.

Dragon Age Origins and ME1 I feel are both pretty close to BG2 in terms of quality. KOTOR and ME2 are both a tier below that, and then ME3 is not even in the discussion. I do not acknowledge the existence of any other Dragon Age game.

All the *****ing about the Mako in ME1 I think is overblown. There were only about 2 optional planets that were a serious pain to navigate and everything else was perfectly acceptable if you know how to read a topographic map. But more to the point, driving around on planets made a serious psychological difference to me in how I viewed the game. To me it harkened back to the BG1 open world days and gave the illusion of freedom. The ability to choose how to fight your outdoor battles was greatly enjoyable to me. You had the ability to just drive up to a nearby ridge and snipe everyone, or go ramboing into the colossus to knock it over and then jumping out and shotgunning everything and Lift-ing fools into outer space. In contrast, ME2 and ME3 have nothing to offer but boring, linear, medium-range cover shooting. ME1 had by far the best story of the trilogy, and ME2 had a great cast of characters combined with the sheer excellence of the Suicide Mission. ME3 was inferior to its predecessors in virtually every way except I guess combat, which was good but trivially easy even on Insane.

KOTOR was good and definitely up there on my list of favorite games, but I just don't think as a total package it surpassed a few other classic Bioware games.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

When I see BG I think of Baldur's Gate, but that's clearly not what we're talking about.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
FYI I think the only ways to increase readiness are to play multiplayer or some stupid iOS game. The multiplayer is fun but dying (and seriously buggy). I think they patched away the requirement to have a higher than 50% readiness to get all the endings though, so as long as you play normally it shouldn't actually matter. From what I can tell you only need 3,100 to get every ending.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
FYI I think the only ways to increase readiness are to play multiplayer or some stupid iOS game. The multiplayer is fun but dying (and seriously buggy). I think they patched away the requirement to have a higher than 50% readiness to get all the endings though, so as long as you play normally it shouldn't actually matter. From what I can tell you only need 3,100 to get every ending.
Ah, I see. I do have a couple friends who are interested in playing multiplayer with me so Either way, I need to finish up the game so I can get working on my 50 game Gamefly Q. Ugh.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I used a save game editor to change the asset value of one of the allied assets to 9999. That way the 50% readiness thingy didn't screw up my game. I can't believe they were trying to force players of a single player game grind (poor) multiplayer. Idiocy.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

I beat level 147!!!!!!

Old
06-27-2013, 11:11 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

I swear I won't sign up for another one of these GM Games that are done here.

The guy managing the NYR wants Landeskog for Marc Staal...no thank you.

I had a deal in place that ONE of the 2 people in charge of "Waiving NMC/NTC's" didn't like and so the whole thing got vetoed...He didn't like it because it made my team better.

I really think that it should be upto the Users of the teams themselves to waive a NMC/NTC in these games...it's ridiculous.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:16 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

The guy running Phoenix offered me this:

Quote:
Offers you can... mull over.

Stastny + COL 1st '13 (1st OV)
for
Keith Yandle/Jeff Skinner, Boedker/Korpikoski, Rundblad, QUE 1st '13 (11th OV), QUE 2nd '13 (41st OV), QUE 3rd '13 (72nd OV)

Or

Stastny
for
Boedker, Klesla, QUE 3rd '13 (72d OV)
To be clear, he doesn't have Skinner, he was offered Skinner for Yandle, so he's giving me the option of either because if I wanted Skinner he would flip him to me...If it were Gormley instead of Rundblad, I might take a more worthwhile listen, because I'm getting some more Picks that I can then turn into other prospects/roster players.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I used a save game editor to change the asset value of one of the allied assets to 9999. That way the 50% readiness thingy didn't screw up my game. I can't believe they were trying to force players of a single player game grind (poor) multiplayer. Idiocy.
ME3 pissed me off.

Spoil:
In getting the war assets you unite the galaxy which by the end is un-united no matter what you do and no matter how much time you put in the game. And Sheppard dies. Stupid EA

Last edited by RockLobster: 06-27-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: fixed spoiler tag
Old
06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Rhaego

Nice looking out RL, I was scouring through the GoT Book thread to find out how to do that.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:43 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway View Post
Nice looking out RL, I was scouring through the GoT Book thread to find out how to do that.
See, I'm not so bad...

Old
06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
See, I'm not so bad...

Old
06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I need a discount on my cable bill...
Having worked in Retention for my local Cable Company, I can tell you, at least how we did it, in an effort to help you save some money.

First of all, you are more likely to be successful if you are nice, kind, courteous, pleasant to talk to, etc.

The people on the other end of the phone are just doing their jobs. So when you call up and act as if you know more than they do, when they're sitting there for 8-10 hours a day and it's their job to know the competition, prices, etc., then you might not be as successful.

I know that when I worked, I took my job seriously. I knew my competition inside and out, that way, when I talked to you, I knew what was up. I knew when customers were just lying and were just needing a little bit of help.

The best discounts are usually going to be reserved for those who are either A) New Customers (this is a business trick that everyone uses, not just the Cable/TV industry) or B) If you threaten to leave.

So, if you call your company, whether you have Cable or Satellite, and get a general representative, you can either be blunt and ask for the Retention department, or say that you're "looking to make changes." or that you are "considering cancelling your service."

Once you get to Retention, again, being kind is important. I know that I was basically being told that my company sucked balls in every call I took. But it was the people who were kind that I was basically just "gave the farm" to.

So tell them that you're needing to save some money, some things have to be changed. They may talk with you, if there's a "bundling" opportunity to be had, you will get offered it. Do not be irritated by it, again, these Representatives are just doing what they have to do to not get fired. Politely decline (if you legitimately do not want the service) and then move on. You will probably next be offered a "free upgrade" of Channel Packs/Premium Channels. If you want these, take them, if not, politely decline and move on.

Next you should be on the "discount" stage. It will probably start small and get bigger from there. Remember that these are businesses, they're not a "Non-Profit" organization, so they're going to offer a smaller discount first.

But if you preface this under the pretense of you are seriously considering cancelling your service, and you do not care about any potential Early Termination Fees (usually for Satellite subscribers), then you may get lucky.

If for some reason you don't, it's still important to end the call in a courteous manner, because then you can try again in a couple of days.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Rhaego

I can't believe I said that to a mod, no infractions for life though

Closed Thread