HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If your team wins the Draft LOttery, would you trade Crosby?

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

vCash: 500
as a bruins fan i would consider trading him if we lock up thornton for a long time
chicago would be the first place i would try and send him towards barker and ruutu +

Old
06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley wanted
as a bruins fan i would consider trading him if we lock up thornton for a long time
chicago would be the first place i would try and send him towards barker and ruutu +

Ya Chicago seems like a team that would trade some good players to get their hands on Crosby to start getting some excitement around an original 6 team.

If I had Crosby(1st overall picK) , I would look around the league because I think that 1 superstar, 2 or 3 solid players + maybe even more(cash or late picks) is better then just Crosby by himself..that's where a deal like

Ruutu,Barker,Radulov,1st

...is amazing and I don't see how you can't take it!.... someone on the habs board said he wouldn't deal Crosby even if the deal was this: (assume players were traded)

Lecavalier
Kovalchuk
Nash

for

Crosby. .. the guy said he wouldn't do it?!? Talk about overrated!!

Now...

can someone tell me what Colorado offered for Lecavalier?

Old
06-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Traitor8

for Kovalchuk..rumors were that the Habs had by far the best deal on the table and it went like this:

To Atlanta:
Andrei Markov
Richard Zednik
Mathieu Garon
7th overall pick (Mike Komisarek)
25th overall pick (Alexander Perezhogin)

To Montreal:
1st overall pick (Ilya Kovalchuk)

Andre Savard: so it's a deal?
Don Waddell: Switch Garon with Theodore and it's a deal
Andre Savard: no way

and that was the end of that and Waddell said he had to think long and hard about the habs offer but he didn't take it as we know today.

Old
06-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

some people are morons and shouldnt even open their mouths three franchise uperstars for 1 possible franchise superstar or who knows could be a total bust or get injured. cant say for sure until hes played a season or two.
i would trade him for alot less than what some people have offered on these boards.
use these as starting points
chicago)ruutu, barker, bell or arnason +
florida) horton, bouwmeester +
detroit)kronwall, datsyuk or zetterberg +
carolina) staal, cole +
columbus) zherev, picard +
dallas)morrow, belle or fistric, eriksson or jokinen +
Philly) carter, +
pitt)malkin +

you get the point. pretty much any team could potentially offer another certain team(depending on who gets the pick) a good enough package they would be dumb not to think about it long and hard

Old
06-04-2005, 04:08 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Now...

can someone tell me what Colorado offered for Lecavalier?
At least two of their 4 1st rounders.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/120800/S...ve_been_.shtml

Old
06-04-2005, 04:08 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Personally, I think if a Small Market lands him, they are going to have a fly-or-die choice on their hands. If the front office is really considering Crosby that generational talent that will save the NHL, then I'd imagine that a back-door guilt trip would stream to said GM who landed the pick.

For Columbus: "C'mon Doug, you guys are amassing all the pieces necessary to ensure you'll be contenders someday... it's time to pass the torch. We'll give you our top two prospects and a first rounder next year."

And guess what, every big market franchise is going to say that. If Crosby is hailed as that kind of talent by the NHL already, then I could see why the NHL would want to "push" the team who wins him to trade him off to a large market.

No matter what-- Whoever lands Crosby initially and eventually will hold him as a blessing and a curse with all this hype being injected in and around him. If he fails, the team will look like a bust. If he slips out the gate, it'll be intense scrutiny that will never go away. That kind of pressure could suffocate a franchise.

Last edited by futurcorerock: 06-04-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old
06-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Rowley Birkin

It would be stupid to say 'no chance', i mean, look at the Avs/Nordiques, they didn't do too badly in the Lindros deal...

Quote:
for Kovalchuk..rumors were that the Habs had by far the best deal on the table and it went like this:

To Atlanta:
Andrei Markov
Richard Zednik
Mathieu Garon
7th overall pick (Mike Komisarek)
25th overall pick (Alexander Perezhogin)

To Montreal:
1st overall pick (Ilya Kovalchuk)

Andre Savard: so it's a deal?
Don Waddell: Switch Garon with Theodore and it's a deal
Andre Savard: no way

and that was the end of that and Waddell said he had to think long and hard about the habs offer but he didn't take it as we know today.
The Sabres also had a pretty serious bid for Kovalchuk turned down. I don't remember the exact details, but the deal involved Peca, Miller {just about the #1 goalie prospect at the time}, our 1st, and more obviously. Maybe somebody else can elaborate.

Old
06-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick

wow..that's it?!?

and pple are offering 3,4 franchise players for Crosby..wow

Old
06-04-2005, 04:19 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Outside of Kobasew/Lombardi (who are estiblished NHLers IMO) talent is thin behind Phaneuf. Realistically speaking, Chucko is a very raw player and it'll be a couple years before we know if he's the next Jarome Iginla or Adam Deadmarsh or Chris Clark. Boyd is a darkhorse, as is Seitsonen. Nystrom's a fine prospect, but shouldnt' be counted on for anything more then the 3rd line - if he gets 15-20 on the 2nd line, bonus. Taratuhkin is probably the best sure bet after Nystrom (and Chucko), and he's your steady 3rd line player.

If the Flames could get two very good forward prospects, some depth behind Phaneuf and Ramholt on the blueline (hopefully a guy with top 4 potential) and maybe even pick up a goalie prospect, then I'd take the deal.
I understand the Flames lack depth after 3-4 solid prospects BUT it is not like the Flames NHL roster is suffering from old age. The team is relatively young. Because of the young age that have the option to take the time to draft players and add depth in the next few years. It's not like TO, where ha;f the team will retire in 3-4 years and they need young players to fill in the gap. The Flames defensive prospects are thin after Phaneuf and Ramholt BUT most defensive prospects won't crack the Flames roster because of the depth in the next 3-4 years as well. Adding young players is not a huge concern right now, top talent is for the Flames. Unless the package is huge, which I don't see a team giving up 2-3 really good players I would not deal Crosby as a Flames GM. The Flames need a future marketing tool and a "sure thing" offensive weapon.

Old
06-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
It would be stupid to say 'no chance', i mean, look at the Avs/Nordiques, they didn't do too badly in the Lindros deal...

That's cause they weer getting the "larger" portion of the deal...in this case..you would have to compare Nordiques/Avs to Atlanta..not the HAbs (Andre Savard was the Habs gm)

Old
06-04-2005, 04:29 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
wow..that's it?!?

and pple are offering 3,4 franchise players for Crosby..wow
At least. Those 4 picks turned out to be Tanguay, Skoula, Regher and Parker. Gagne and Gomez were still out there to be had late in the 1st. Had Tampa picked any 2 or 3 (don't know how many more picks Tampa could have squeezed out of Colorado, though the article stated they were hoping for a marketable star [rumoered Sakic, Forsberg]) of Tanguay, Gagne, Gomez, or Regher and they'd be set for a long time. Not to mention Tampa picked up Richards in the later rounds.

Old
06-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
That's cause they weer getting the "larger" portion of the deal...in this case..you would have to compare Nordiques/Avs to Atlanta..not the HAbs (Andre Savard was the Habs gm)
I was comparing the original questions of trading Crosby to the Lindros deal. sorry i should have made that clearer

Old
06-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Chayos

From an oiler standpoint the offer would have to be unreal for us to move him. Our biggest need is for a number one center and with the chemistry Crosby has with our pick pouliot it is a match made in heaven. It could be the Lecavlier/richards that Tb has for the oil.

Now if the Chi offer above was offered I would drive him to airport myself.

Old
06-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
4 first rounders.

Old
06-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

Ottawa would probably trade him for a 1st round pick that year (also in the high range), a scoring-line PF who can play the left side to great effect, and a stud goaltender, a good prospect or two, + whatever else they could manage. Otherwise I think we'd hold onto him. A future top six of the following would be very hard to pass on:

Havat - Crosby - Hossa
Vermette* - Spezza - Alfredsson

Everyone listed, aside from Vermettte, could break 100 points with such linemates during a career year as far as I'm concerned.

*or a FA/prospect who developed unexpectedly well/player accquired via trade

*drools* No real physical presence is visible but the skill would so insane we wouldn't need one. And we could always have one of Chara/Phillips/Volchenkov/Meszaros (in the future perhaps) on the blueline at the same time to ensure we have a tough skater or two iced........ the stuff of dreams. I seriously doubt we'll get our hands on him.

Old
06-04-2005, 06:09 PM
BlueBleeder

If the Blues got him, I wouldn't rule it out. Would depend on the offer.

Old
06-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Jag68Sid87

I don't think ANY team will trade him if they were to win the lottery. Like Kovalchuk, and perhaps Ovechkin (there were a few rumblings but nothing like Kovalchuk), the team that wins the lottery will listen but ultimately they'll keep him.

I suppose Philly might be the closest thing to a team that really doesn't NEED a Sidney Crosby (because of the presence of Carter, Richards, Sharp, Umberger et al). That said, even they would choose to keep him IMHO. Then, they'd turn around and deal someone else. Someone would become a winger full time (probably Crosby or Carter), but they'd make it work. Talk about a nice problem to have.

Old
06-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

If I was the Anaheim GM, there's only two teams I'd entertain offers from-the teams with 2nd and 3rd overall picks, and only 3rd overall if I knew I could get Johnson. If the team with 2nd overall was someone like Chicago, I'd definetely trade Crosby there for 2nd overall, a guy like Ruutu, and maybe something like Tyler Arnason or something else thrown in. Maybe I'm asking for too much, or too little, but something like that would definetely temp me.

Old
06-04-2005, 06:21 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
I don't think ANY team will trade him if they were to win the lottery. Like Kovalchuk, and perhaps Ovechkin (there were a few rumblings but nothing like Kovalchuk), the team that wins the lottery will listen but ultimately they'll keep him.

I suppose Philly might be the closest thing to a team that really doesn't NEED a Sidney Crosby (because of the presence of Carter, Richards, Sharp, Umberger et al). That said, even they would choose to keep him IMHO. Then, they'd turn around and deal someone else. Someone would become a winger full time (probably Crosby or Carter), but they'd make it work. Talk about a nice problem to have.
Philly would either trade down or pick Bobby Ryan with the #1. Clarke has his sights on Ryan and no one else as far as I can tell. He'd trade the #1 for whatever he could get so long as the ability to draft Ryan is there.

Old
06-04-2005, 06:37 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
So if Atlanta offered, say, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Lehtonen and their 1st for Crosby, you would say no?
make the offer see what they say. I don't consider that to be a realistic offer that would be forthcoming from Atlanta.

Old
06-04-2005, 06:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
make the offer see what they say. I don't consider that to be a realistic offer that would be forthcoming from Atlanta.
not at all, because there's no guarantee that he'll be better than any one of those players. kovalchuk is already a richard trophy winner, lehtonen is considered the top goalie prospect in the world and heatley is a dynamite all-around player. i'd not trade ONE of those guys, let alone all three.

Old
06-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
If I was the Anaheim GM, there's only two teams I'd entertain offers from-the teams with 2nd and 3rd overall picks, and only 3rd overall if I knew I could get Johnson. If the team with 2nd overall was someone like Chicago, I'd definetely trade Crosby there for 2nd overall, a guy like Ruutu, and maybe something like Tyler Arnason or something else thrown in. Maybe I'm asking for too much, or too little, but something like that would definetely temp me.

WHAT?!??!?!?!

2nd overall + Ruutu or Arnason ...for 1st overall ...so you move 1 spot and want Ruutu and Arnason

Old
06-04-2005, 07:15 PM
mercury

WHOA. Bobby Clarke would NOT pick Bobby Ryan 1st overall. He might trade to 2nd or 3rd overall, and extract a young star player and a few more picks/prospects. For instance, if the Flyers were first overall, and Chicago were second, I could see something like this:

To CHI:
1st overall (Sidney Crosby)

To PHI:
2nd overall (would draft Ryan)
Kyle Calder
Cam Barker
Chicago's 2nd rounder 2005

Still, I would take the flier (no pun intended) and keep Crosby.
easton, I don't think I would get rid of Richards. I know I am about to speak heresy here, but I think that, given the chance, I'd keep Crosby and Richards out of Crosby, Carter, and Richards. Crosby, Richards, and Umberger, along with the massive amount talent a Jeff Carter would bring in retuirn, would be a pretty solid group of centers for the next ten years. Crosby is that good right now, and he will enter right into the NHL when it stars up again, as will Carter and Richards. Now, turning Crosby into a package like that one above might work.

Old
06-04-2005, 07:28 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
WHOA. Bobby Clarke would NOT pick Bobby Ryan 1st overall. He might trade to 2nd or 3rd overall, and extract a young star player and a few more picks/prospects. For instance, if the Flyers were first overall, and Chicago were second, I could see something like this:

To CHI:
1st overall (Sidney Crosby)

To PHI:
2nd overall (would draft Ryan)
Kyle Calder
Cam Barker
Chicago's 2nd rounder 2005

Still, I would take the flier (no pun intended) and keep Crosby.
easton, I don't think I would get rid of Richards. I know I am about to speak heresy here, but I think that, given the chance, I'd keep Crosby and Richards out of Crosby, Carter, and Richards. Crosby, Richards, and Umberger, along with the massive amount talent a Jeff Carter would bring in retuirn, would be a pretty solid group of centers for the next ten years. Crosby is that good right now, and he will enter right into the NHL when it stars up again, as will Carter and Richards. Now, turning Crosby into a package like that one above might work.
Clarke wants Ryan to be a Flyer. They are family friends and Ryan matches Clarke's m.o. to a T. He'd probably trade down for him, but he won't get near that kind of return you are talking about and still be in position to draft Bobby.

Old
06-04-2005, 07:56 PM
KH1

The Isles would draft Crosby because if he could contribute to a playoff run, they all of the sudden can corner the New York media which would lead to some serious cash.

Plus, I'm not entirely convinced that Crosby would be worth as much as a lot of people are throwing out. Remember, the Capitals fished around for Ovechkin offers and got nothing anywhere close to being worth pulling the trigger. The gap between Crosby and AO isn't that enormous.

Closed Thread