HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Five 2013 Draftees Who May Go Higher Than you Think

Old
06-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Czechexpert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

TBH though as well, I have noticed you are notoriously down on any european prospect that is not Czech. You seem to find out posts praising Russian/Slovak prospects and take them down.
Thatīs nonsense. I loved Tatar, Marincin and Jurco, I was high on Tvrdon and Gernat, consider Cehlarik as interesting prospects. Iīm not a fan of Dano but many scouts donīt like him that much.
Regarding Russians Iīm more realistic than most of the people here. Still like guys like Buchnevich or Valiev who both are high risk, high reward kind of prospects. Buchnevich is first rounder for me for example. Love Tkachev(late 95ī).
However Yakimov is awful skater in my opinion with no progress, has slow, heavy feet. He is like big truck, huge and immobile. Has decent hands in close but is not smooth with the puck in speed at all.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:07 AM
Paralyzer008

Canadian players rise all of the time.

I think Greg Chase is one who could go 2nd-3rd round

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:46 AM
DJB

vCash: 8579
Morin could go top 10.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechexpert View Post
Thatīs nonsense. I loved Tatar, Marincin and Jurco, I was high on Tvrdon and Gernat, consider Cehlarik as interesting prospects. Iīm not a fan of Dano but many scouts donīt like him that much.
Regarding Russians Iīm more realistic than most of the people here. Still like guys like Buchnevich or Valiev who both are high risk, high reward kind of prospects. Buchnevich is first rounder for me for example. Love Tkachev(late 95ī).
However Yakimov is awful skater in my opinion with no progress, has slow, heavy feet. He is like big truck, huge and immobile. Has decent hands in close but is not smooth with the puck in speed at all.
Maybe I am wrong. Maybe it's confirmation bias on my part, but I just see you shooting down Slovak and Russian prospects moreso than praising any. Perhaps I am wrong, I am sorry if I am.

Dano is a polarizing prospect, I will give that to you. You either see high upside or no upside, there's no in between. I see high upside.

Yakimov I like the game he plays. Think his skating is not nearly a concern on the small ice, and like his winning board battles, his hands in tight, his vision. Think he is a great pivot that will excel in the small ice, maybe ala Hanzal in a way.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Nick Baptiste for me. Maybe a late first rounder to a team with multiple first round picks?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Ladra

Quote:
I love Dano. Really. But his defensive game leaves a whole hell of alot to be desired. He just does not care that much about the defensive zone.

Mean streak though, this guy does not have ideal size but he fears nothing. He is completely willing to go into the hard areas of the ice to make plays. Yes his forte is puckhandling and making plays mostly from the outside, but he does not mind at getting dirty and winning the battles. His skating is FAR from perfect, he does not possess top end speed nor is his stride unreal, but he moves side to side better than most with many quick turns which allows him to open up the ice and find the right guy. Honestly he is my favourite player from this draft, I can honestly see him as a Justin Williams type player in the future.
I do admit that I have very limited viewings of him, only two KHL games and in the WJC (18/20) but I've always been very very impresed with him, and I thought his defensive game was decent in my limited wieving, but I'm no scout.

Ladra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Czechexpert

Quote:

Dano is a polarizing prospect, I will give that to you. You either see high upside or no upside, there's no in between. I see high upside.
Be sure, there are teams having Dano fairly high in ranking and than teams which keep him entirely off the list.

Yakimov I like the game he plays. Think his skating is not nearly a concern on the small ice, and like his winning board battles, his hands in tight, his vision. Think he is a great pivot that will excel in the small ice, maybe ala Hanzal in a way.[/QUOTE]

I think opposite, on small ice, quickness, agility, foot speed, first steps quickness is nowadays very important. And he has nothing of it. I have seen him for three years now and donīt see progress. Hanzal has much better hockey sense and more skills(plus better skater).

In generally Iīm more acute on prospects than most of people here, many prospects are overrated and overhyped on board.

Donīt think I have praised plenty of Czechs here lately. And as much as I liked Hertl and Jaskin, I still had doubts regarding their skating.

Last edited by Czechexpert: 06-27-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:15 PM
3rd Guy High

Sanford has ridiculous hands and reach, but his skating in general is really lacking. Doesn't have a great top speed either. He's the definition of a boom bust project.

Also committed to BC in 14, not this upcoming year, so he will probably be back with the IHC in the USPHL next year. Does a team really wanna spend a first rounder on someone that isn't even going to be a freshman in college next year and then will spend who knows how many years in college?

Last edited by 3rd Guy High: 06-27-2013 at 09:22 PM.
3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:56 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Maybe I am wrong. Maybe it's confirmation bias on my part, but I just see you shooting down Slovak and Russian prospects moreso than praising any. Perhaps I am wrong, I am sorry if I am.

Yakimov I like the game he plays. Think his skating is not nearly a concern on the small ice, and like his winning board battles, his hands in tight, his vision. Think he is a great pivot that will excel in the small ice, maybe ala Hanzal in a way.
Well, personally I recall czechexpert touting Marinčin and Gernát for example long before anyone else on here even knew who they were.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Ladra

Quote:
Cehlarik is a huge riser late in the season. Has all the tools, really like his game. Would not at all shocked to see him going in the mid-second round. I would add him on this list, but since OP already put him there, I will pick 5 different ones.

5 guys I like are...

LW Marko Dano. Ranked from mid second to mid third in most mocks. I can see a team taking a flyer on him in the late first. There is not many players who have his vision and puck skills. He has already proven to be an effective player in the second best league in the world, and has expressed an interest moving to NA in the past (was headed to Prince George last year until Slovan swooped in with a KHL offer).

D Alex Coulombe. Big smooth skating defenseman out of Stanstead college, he has plenty of upside. Most mocks have him in the 4th-6th rounds, but I like him even as a late 2nd rounder. His all around game is raw, but he has potential in both ends of the rink and lots of time to develop at Vermont.

G Patrik Bartosak. Really shocked this guy did not get drafted last year. Best rookie goalie in the WHL transitioned into the best goalie in the WHL this year. Not ideal size which will scare people, but moves well in the net and great reactionary time. Could see a team taking a chance on him rounds 3-4, I have as pretty much equal to more heralded goalies of Martin and Comrie.

C Connor Hurley. Rated as a mid-second rounder, I see a team taking him 23-35 ala the Jankowski. Has the skating and vision along with the time to develop in college at Notre Dame that is worth an earlier pick.

C Bogdan Yakimov. Seen this guy all over the place, but he has great talent. Yakimov has the size, vision, skating and twoway potential teams want out of a centre. Love his game. Questions about whether he will come over will hurt him though. However if interviews go well and he does indicate he will come over I could see him as high as the 2nd round.
This was very accurate

Ladra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
HeavyMcHitter97

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
He is very talented and deserves to be a late 1st rounder but I see him slipping to the 3rs round
27th to Columbus. Deserves the late first pick.

HeavyMcHitter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Indian

@Holden Caulfield

Regarding Czechexperts view on european prospects I have to say he is almost always spot on with his opinions. Some people might not like what he has to say but he has a very keen sense of evaluating players. Since he does write about Slovak prospects I really like to read about his point of view because it's refreshing in contrast to what we tend to think about them as fans.

By the way he is not praising czech prospects very often, to be honest I don't remember him hyping any of them.

Indian is offline   Reply With Quote