HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

USA Hockey personnel and the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia (upd: June 28)

Old
06-23-2013, 09:44 PM
deeshamrock

vCash: 500
USA Hockey personnel and the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia (upd: June 28)

Lavvy's one of the three finalists to coach USA at Sochi...

TSNBobMcKenzie: Tortorella, BTW, is one of three candidates - Peter Laviolette and Dan Bylsma are the others - to be head coach of 2014 U.S. Olympic team.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-27-2013 at 11:42 PM.
deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
slim pickens

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:04 PM
domestique

Wow... To be honest, I wouldn't want any of those three coaching team USA.

All three are known for sticking to their systems come hell or high water.

domestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:25 PM
The Couturier Effect

I'd probably go with Torts. I feel like the players on Team USA would fit his system really well.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm not worried about coaching. These guys really don't have enough time implement a system for a two week tournament.

Ron Wilson almost coached the US to a gold medal last go around. Hell, Joe Sacco coached the US to a bronze medal in the WC's this summer.

I honestly don't think you could really go wrong with either one but I would probably go with Tortorella if I had to pick one.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:14 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Bylsma please, hell no to Lavy or Torts.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Not sure if this is real life...or just fantasy...

You picked Bylsma...when given Tortorella or Lavi...

You should open your eyes...look out at the ice and see...

etc. etc.

Seriously though, there is no reason why Bylsma should even be compared to the other two. Yes, Torts sucks with younger kids, but there are no rookies on a world stage such as the Olympics. And realistically, nobody inspires better short-term than Lavi. Sure whether or not his ability to install fear becomes a eye-roll worthy gesture in front of his team over years of time is questionable, but it still has an immediate impact.

Tortorella and Laviolette are legitimate team USA candidates. Bylsma is not.

Last edited by CS: 06-23-2013 at 11:28 PM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:25 PM
The Couturier Effect

Yeah a big hell no to Bylsma. The fact that the Pens still employ him is puzzling in itself...

Old
06-24-2013, 07:48 AM
flybynite77

I saw *NO* to all 3 and I think USA Hockey needs to take a page from USA Basketball.

Who's been the coach of Team USA for basketball the last few olympics + world championships? Coach K. Who's never coached professionally at all and has been a very successful college coach.

I'd like to see USA Hockey go with a college coach.

Now there would be some obvious issues because of having to leave your NCAA program for the Olympics...but we see it in the World Junior Championships where currently the Canadian coach is also the coach of the Kitchener Rangers.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:42 AM
CanadianFlyersFan18

As a Canadian I would worry about Lavy's system more than anything. The US has good enough goaltending and puck moving D man to make it an issue for a lot of teams. In a short tourney Lavy's system is the best, and we all know he's a good motivator as well. I love Torts but with lots of ice you have to attack and move the puck, thats Lavy hockey, and the US is fast, skilled team.. not to mention you arguably have the best goalie in the world (Quick) in net. My 2 cents as I find Bylsma relies on the big two to much and Torts' defensive style will get picked apart on big ice and highly skilled teams.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:56 AM
flyerfanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
As a Canadian I would worry about Lavy's system more than anything. The US has good enough goaltending and puck moving D man to make it an issue for a lot of teams. In a short tourney Lavy's system is the best, and we all know he's a good motivator as well. I love Torts but with lots of ice you have to attack and move the puck, thats Lavy hockey, and the US is fast, skilled team.. not to mention you arguably have the best goalie in the world (Quick) in net. My 2 cents as I find Bylsma relies on the big two to much and Torts' defensive style will get picked apart on big ice and highly skilled teams.
Wouldn't the high pressure forechecking be less effective on the big ice, since the opponents defensemen have more time?

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:11 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I really hope that it just comes down to Lavy and Torts for head coach and assistant coach (either will do fine in either position). Lavy will help spark offense while Torts will help realize the goaltending and defense.

....Hopefully.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:19 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Because when given such choices, why not to go with the most absurd..?

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Alright, lets play the Bylsma vs Lavy comparison game...Everyone wants Bylsma's head for lack of success..Please remind me, what has Lavy done since 2010?

I have a lot of issues with his development of young players (JvR, Couts, Schenn) as well as his general system.

Also, advocates for Torts...He openly stated that he doesn't practice the powerplay...Do I think he'd practice the PP in Sochi, yes, but I just think that his coaching style would not be the best for a tournament. Yeah, there is no room for mistakes, but the lack of confidence that he instills in his player is pretty unbelievable. I truly think Bylsma is the best man for the job.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by domestique View Post
Wow... To be honest, I wouldn't want any of those three coaching team USA.

All three are known for sticking to their systems come hell or high water.
That's pretty interesting given that Tortorella won a Stanley Cup playing a completely different style than he did with the Rangers.

All three guys have won a Cup. People act like because they're stock is down with their teams (and in one case gone) that they forgot how to coach. This isn't the case. When Peter Laviolette gets fired and is hired by a new team, and they go on a run, there's going to be umpteen threads here wondering why we let him go.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That's pretty interesting given that Tortorella won a Stanley Cup playing a completely different style than he did with the Rangers.
I don't know why people are getting hung up on systems. Whether it be Lavi, Torts, or Disco Dan these guys aren't going to have a enough time to implement their actual systems we see with their NHL teams in a 2 week tournament.

It's all about having the right players (which the coach will have input on). When it comes to coaching in these tournaments it's more about motivating the players and finding the right line combo's.

Old
06-24-2013, 06:58 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Alright, lets play the Bylsma vs Lavy comparison game...Everyone wants Bylsma's head for lack of success..Please remind me, what has Lavy done since 2010.
What the hell has Bylsma done since 2009? Just about as much as Lavy has done.

Old
06-24-2013, 07:01 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Who can pee the farthest, then pick!

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
I saw *NO* to all 3 and I think USA Hockey needs to take a page from USA Basketball.

Who's been the coach of Team USA for basketball the last few olympics + world championships? Coach K. Who's never coached professionally at all and has been a very successful college coach.

I'd like to see USA Hockey go with a college coach.

Now there would be some obvious issues because of having to leave your NCAA program for the Olympics...but we see it in the World Junior Championships where currently the Canadian coach is also the coach of the Kitchener Rangers.
There isn't any college hockey coach that has the stature of Coach K. To deal with that many big names and big egos, you need to have to be respected by everyone in the room. Coach K was, but there isn't wouldn't be any equivalent in College Hockey. The closest you could get would be York or Parker (Parker might actually have an advantage now that he's retired and would be able to spend months preparing for the tournament), but neither have the name recognition of Coach K. Guarentee if team USA were to name either of those guys, or any college coach, 95% of the sporting world would go "Who?"

Hopefully Lavi gets it. Would make it a lot more fun to pull for team USA given there likely won't be a single Flyer on the team for the 2nd straight Olympics. I'd think he would be a better choice than either Torts or Bylsma.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:19 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
There isn't any college hockey coach that has the stature of Coach K. To deal with that many big names and big egos, you need to have to be respected by everyone in the room. Coach K was, but there isn't wouldn't be any equivalent in College Hockey. The closest you could get would be York or Parker (Parker might actually have an advantage now that he's retired and would be able to spend months preparing for the tournament), but neither have the name recognition of Coach K. Guarentee if team USA were to name either of those guys, or any college coach, 95% of the sporting world would go "Who?"

Hopefully Lavi gets it. Would make it a lot more fun to pull for team USA given there likely won't be a single Flyer on the team for the 2nd straight Olympics. I'd think he would be a better choice than either Torts or Bylsma.
I guess we won't be getting Bobby Ryan. Lol

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:23 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 195
Anyone have a guess on what the team USA lines will be? JvR will be there right? How about Sestito, jk.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:06 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanish View Post
Wouldn't the high pressure forechecking be less effective on the big ice, since the opponents defensemen have more time?
The Flyers were super successful in the 2010 cup run for 2 reasons they have 4 guys who could move the puck well (Pronger, Carle, Coby and Kimmo) and speed up front. The ice may be bigger but team USA has one of if not the quickest teams in the tourney and have very capable puck movers in Suter, Johnson(s) etc. Hell depending on how Seth Jones handles himself he may even be there. All I'm saying out of the 3, Collapsing on international ice when you have skill isn't going to win you many games, the angles are different, blocking shots are different.. defensive hockey in general is different. I guess I prefer attacking hockey, mainly because the other team can't score if the pucks in their end.
Should be a great Olympics

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Anyone have a guess on what the team USA lines will be? JvR will be there right? How about Sestito, jk.
They went young for the most part last go around so the core of the team should be back.

Here's the roster from 2010:
-G Ryan Miller
-G Jonathan Quick
-G Tim Thomas
-D Tim Gleason
-D Eric Johnson
-D Jack Johnson
-D Brooks Orpik
-D Brian Rafalski
-D Ryan Suter
-D Ryan Whitney
-F David Backes
-F Dustin Brown
-F Ryan Callahan
-F Chris Drury
-F Patrick Kane
-F Ryan Kessler
-F Phil Kessel
-F Jamie Langenbrunner
-F Ryan Malone
-F Zach Parise
-F Joe Pavelski
-F Bobby Ryan
-F Paul Statsny

The players in bold should be locks to make 2014 and the players italicized are retired (although Thomas may return to hockey). Some of the players on the 2010 roster who I didn't bold may still have a shot at cracking the roster for 2014 like Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, Ryan Miller, and Brooks Orpik. I don't see Tim Gleason, Ryan Whitney, Ryan Malone, and Tim Thomas making it though.

Here's other players who should be under consideration:
-G Craig Anderson
-G Jimmy Howard
-G Corey Schneider
-G Ben Bishop
-D Kevin Shattenkirk
-D Cam Fowler
-D Dustin Byfuglien
-D Paul Martin
-D Justin Faulk
-D Keith Yandle
-D Zach Bogosian
-D Ryan McDonagh
-D Nick Leddy
-D John Carlson
-D Matt Carle
-D Jake Gardiner
-D Jeff Petry
-F Blake Wheeler
-F Kyle Okposo
-F TJ Oshie
-F Max Pacioretty
-F James Van Riemsdyk
-F Derek Stepan
-F Alex Galchenyuk

Regardless of who they pick the goaltending and defense will be the bread and butter for the US. They don't have the high end forwards like Russia and Canada but overall it's a pretty solid group both offensively and defensively.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 06-24-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old
06-24-2013, 08:11 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
What the hell has Bylsma done since 2009? Just about as much as Lavy has done.
I would put it a little differently - what the hell has Bylsma done outside winning the cup with Michel Therien's system and staff

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:21 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
They went young for the most part last go around so the core of the team should be back.
Thanks for all the info.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote