HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Part LXMIIV - I Can't Roman Numerals Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
5 years in to gillis leadership. Anyone blaming anyone but gillis for the current situation good or bad neef to get a better grip on things. My daughter wasnt even born when nonis was in charge; she is in kindergarten now
Its still all AVs fault. Lol

Old
06-29-2013, 01:53 PM
shortshorts

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by particularsolution View Post
According to Lebrun: Schneider in play, Lu wants out either way.
Lebrun is Dr.Seuss

Old
06-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The hypothetical Schneider/Luongo guessing is pointless and should not be entertained, at all. The only way to prove your point is to remove Schneider from the equation via time machine.

We have Luongo's direct quote, and Gillis + Maclean + Shannon + other sources contradicting it. Who to believe?

Family is a consideration for Luongo's departure. It's quite humorous to suggest otherwise. His wife was noted not to live here anymore, as of recently. He nixed a deal to TOR in order to facilitate deal with FLA, where his family lives. It's his first choice for a reason. That single speck of evidence seems sufficient enough. Whether you want to see it or not.

Again, I have never said FLA was the only option. Where are you getting this from? It's his first choice, but not his only choice.

As I in the Eye points out, it is evidence. Evidence about as good as can be expected on a message board. If it's not sufficient for yourself, then that's a different matter. But based on what passes for evidence here, it fits the bill.

Ah so it's ok to speculate on why TOR was not a desired spot when it suits your purpose? Umm ok.

About what I expected.

Again, what's his first preference and why?
Now, this is the first time I've been today, and it looks like I missed a whole whack of speculation since Mckenzie said we're shopping Schneider, but does this at least show that Luongo would be willing to stay if we traded Schneider?

We certainly wouldn't be shopping him if Luongo is guaranteed on his way out.

On mobile so can't respond in more detail, but do you still hold the position that Gillis would buy out Luongo over trading Schneider?

Old
06-29-2013, 02:07 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by particularsolution View Post
According to Lebrun: Schneider in play, Lu wants out either way.
Stupidest thing I've read yet. Why on earth would we ever entertain trading both goalies? Geez....

Old
06-29-2013, 02:15 PM
SunshineRays

Well, for what it's worth, appears Miller isn't being traded from Buff: Link

Old
06-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Now, this is the first time I've been today, and it looks like I missed a whole whack of speculation since Mckenzie said we're shopping Schneider, but does this at least show that Luongo would be willing to stay if we traded Schneider?

On mobile so can't respond in more detail, but do you still hold the position that Gillis would buy out Luongo over trading Schneider?
Capspace needed. Lu cant be traded. Cory the only other option.

Lus feeling or wants dont matter on the cap space issue.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
FIRE AND FURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Well, for what it's worth, appears Miller isn't being traded from Buff: Link
Not at the draft anyways.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Capspace needed. Lu cant be traded. Cory the only other option.

Lus feeling or wants dont matter on the cap space issue.
I've mentioned that in the past too. He signed here for 12 years, you can't just opt out whenever you feel like it.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
I've mentioned that in the past too. He signed here for 12 years, you can't just opt out whenever you feel like it.
Doesnt matter how long he signed for. Thats not what I talking about.

MG needs cap space big time. One of them has to go and if he cant get rid of lu its going to be Cory. Regardless of whether lu wants to be here or not.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:

What makes you certain we wouldn't be shopping Schneider if Luongo is gauranteed on his way out? One does not infer the other. I know the assumption is being made here, by yourself and others, but that's all it is.

This seems to be a pure cap move. Of the biggest non-locked contracts on the team, Schneider is the most valuable. So if they deal him, it's their best chance to get under the cap. Regardless of what happens to Luongo.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Bobs your uncle

Best bet for a trade of Schneider is NYI IMO.
Van receives 15th overall and possibly a prospect.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
What makes you certain we wouldn't be shopping Schneider if Luongo is gauranteed on his way out? One does not infer the other. I know the assumption is being made here, by yourself and others, but that's all it is.

This seems to be a pure cap move. Of the biggest non-locked contracts on the team, Schneider is the most valuable. So if they deal him, it's their best chance to get under the cap. Regardless of what happens to Luongo.
This can't be a cap move. Schneider is the most important player on the team outside the twins, on a great deal. Not the kind of contract you look to dump in a cap move.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:

Well you said the Canucks would buy out Luongo before they traded Schneider, correct?

Buying out Luongo would give us more cap space than trading Schneider.

Even if we did both, we'd still need to spend around 4m+ at a minimum on a starting goaltender if we get someone else like Mike Smith.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
This can't be a cap move. Schneider is the most important player on the team outside the twins, on a great deal. Not the kind of contract you look to dump in a cap move.
I don't disagree with his importance, but other than Booth or Ballard, the next most movable contract is Schneiders. Unlike the other two though, he will garner a good return. Booth is currently injured, and Ballard is slated for buyout. What other big contract can they move to get under the cap?

Old
06-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Well you said the Canucks would buy out Luongo before they traded Schneider, correct?

Buying out Luongo would give us more cap space than trading Schneider.

Even if we did both, we'd still need to spend around 4m+ at a minimum on a starting goaltender if we get someone else like Mike Smith.
I said they would buy out Luongo rather than trade Schneider as an either or proposition. On for the other, because you said Luongo staying would be the logical action. This doesn't account for them getting rid of both goaltenders. In which case Luongo would still be sent packing.

And you don't know how much we would need to spend on goaltending.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Maybe he wants out, too?

NOTE: That is pure speculation! In case it's not obvious...

Old
06-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
I said they would buy out Luongo rather than trade Schneider as an either or proposition. On for the other, because you said Luongo staying would be the logical action. This doesn't account for them getting rid of both goaltenders. In which case Luongo would still be sent packing.

And you don't know how much we would need to spend on goaltending.
I guess we'll just have to see how this all plays out then.

I'd have to wonder why we'd be clearing all this cap space for, then. One goalie should be enough. Unless Gillis has plans to acquire a high salaried player via trade?

Old
06-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

This is ridiculous.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:

I'd have to wonder why we'd be clearing all this cap space for, then. One goalie should be enough. Unless Gillis has plans to acquire a high salaried player via trade?

Maybe he saw CHI and is going the cheap goalie route. Who knows at this point. The shrinking cap has put him in a very tough position.

Old
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
I don't disagree with his importance, but other than Booth or Ballard, the next most movable contract is Schneiders. Unlike the other two though, he will garner a good return. Booth is currently injured, and Ballard is slated for buyout. What other big contract can they move to get under the cap?
Why are we in such a hurry to get under the cap? If Booth is injured, we use the 10% overage and plan on him being on the ir to start the season. If we have to buy out Ballard... then get on with it. You don't start dangling your best players, on good contracts, in cap moves.

If Gillis is exploring a Schneider trade, it's to get a similar player at another position. If Seguin is available, he might be the kind of guy Gillis moves some wheels for. You know I'm a Schneider guy, but that's something I think about if it comes up. Franchise centre > franchise goalie
franchise D > franchise goalie if that deal is out there

Old
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:

We need to clear space. Pronto.

Theres only a few options such as buying out Ballard and trading one of the tenders.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
We need to clear space. Pronto.

Theres only a few options such as buying out Ballard and trading one of the tenders.
Bleach is saying that we would dump both goalies before keeping Luongo.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Why are we in such a hurry to get under the cap? If Booth is injured, we use the 10% overage and plan on him being on the ir to start the season. If we have to buy out Ballard... then get on with it. You don't start dangling your best players, on good contracts, in cap moves.

If Gillis is exploring a Schneider trade, it's to get a similar player at another position. If Seguin is available, he might be the kind of guy Gillis moves some wheels for. You know I'm a Schneider guy, but that's something I think about if it comes up. Franchise centre > franchise goalie
Me too, Seguin would be fantastic.

About the cap, IR tricks with Booth will only work for so long. It still leaves Ballard. Is the ownership willing to buy him out? Gillis can't go beyond this buyout period with no options. This great FA period will provide a lot of teams with what they need. It will be difficult trying to pawn off assets after the fact. Cap space is a very real concern right now for that reason.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Bleach is saying that we would dump both goalies before keeping Luongo.
Actually, I'm saying that in this case Schneider has nothing to do with Luongo's future here, because its a pure cap move. LeBrun intimates that Luongo is gone regardless. However, the team has to cover their end by making sure at least one 4m contract is off the books by the end of the buyout period. That makes Schneider the prime candidate to move. Without having anything to do with Luongo in this regard.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Actually, I'm saying that in this case Schneider has nothing to do with Luongo's future here, because its a pure cap move. LeBrun intimates that Luongo is gone regardless. However, the team has to cover their end by making sure at least one 4m contract is off the books by the end of the buyout period. That makes Schneider the prime candidate to move. Without having anything to do with Luongo in this regard.
But you are saying that the Canucks are more likely to move both goaltenders than just keep Luongo, correct?

Closed Thread