HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Part LXMIIV - I Can't Roman Numerals Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
This team has won one playoff game in 2 years. It has no untouchables. We've had the same core since 07.

Old
06-29-2013, 05:49 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
Ya, but that part was an extreme (in an imaginary post to begin with)... I do know that Tampa, once, was apparently real interested in Schneider... That ship might of sailed... A 3rd isn't far from a 1st... But, that was for illustrative purposes only... The return that the Canucks could get for Schneider should be spectacular... but what spectacular looks like, I'm not sure...
No shot, IMO. And I highly doubt that TB would still have interest in Schneider, after going out and spending to acquire both Bishop & Lindback (both younger than Schneider, I believe).

Old
06-29-2013, 05:52 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
Step 1: demand Gillis buy out Luongo for Schneider

Step 2: spend $27m buying out Luongo, pass on quality young assets in a Schneider trade

Step 3: celebrate your genius

Step 4: Luongo drags the Oilers to playoff glory on a cheap contract. Schneider leaves in 2 years as a UFA

Step 5: blame Gillis for not trading Schneider 2 years earlier and keeping Luongo

Why does my inner pessimist feel this way?

Last edited by me2: 06-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old
06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
This team has won one playoff game in 2 years. It has no untouchables. We've had the same core since 07.
The Edmonton Oilers have not won a playoff game in 7 years, yet they have untouchables. Poor argument.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:12 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
The Edmonton Oilers have not won a playoff game in 7 years, yet they have untouchables. Poor argument.
Different scenarios obviously. Oilers untouchables are based on their expected contribution in helping the team get back into playoffs, something they took a step FORWARD in doing this year. Clock is ticking on Vancouver and this past season was a step BACKWARD.

Invalid comparison.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:18 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
Different scenarios obviously. Oilers untouchables are based on their expected contribution in helping the team get back into playoffs, something they took a step FORWARD in doing this year. Clock is ticking on Vancouver and this past season was a step BACKWARD.

Invalid comparison.
Not invalid at all. Schneider is a young player, who has shown flashes of brilliance and appears to have huge upside, as do the Oiler's big 4. Valid comparison.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:23 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Not invalid at all. Schneider is a young player, who has shown flashes of brilliance and appears to have huge upside, as do the Oiler's big 4. Valid comparison.
But they don't have the same goals or timeframe. Oilers have the luxury of time to accomplish their goals, meaning they can afford to designate certain players as "untouchable". Vancouver is attempting to squeeze in a cup within the next couple of years, so time and the luxury of "untouchables" is not on their side. Plus TBH the value of the Oilers so-called untouchables exceeds anyone on Vancouver, including Schneider. Apples and oranges comparison.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

vCash: 50
Well, one good thing about keeping Luongo...his twitter

https://twitter.com/strombone1/statu...52888644505600
Quote:
Do you guys need me to announce any picks at the podium tomorrow @VanCanucks ?

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...54215881678848
Quote:
@strombone1 @VanCanucks. We have a spot on the panel.
https://twitter.com/strombone1/statu...54516797816832
Quote:

@DarrenDreger don't want to sit next to that diva @tsnjamesduthie

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.

Last edited by Nuckles: 06-29-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old
06-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Oh man. It'd be neat to see him on the TSN Panel!

Old
06-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 50s
Sources say the Coyotes are closing in on a 6 year deal with Mike Smith. Not done yet, but believed to be around $5.5 mil per year. #TSN
It really baffles me that Luongo's contract is viewed as "bad" in light of these kind of deals.

The cap re-capture clause removes basically all the risk for a team that picks him up, we take that hit.

Would GMs honestly rather Mike Smith @ 5.5 for 6 years, or Lu @ 5.3 for 6 or 7 years. I can see the problem for Phoenix, in that his initial salary is higher, but everyone else... really? Mike Smith at a higher cap hit?

Anyway, I guess we'll see.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:12 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
What a miserable perspective to have. I can dissect all 30 NHL teams and find major flaws with each one of their GM's if I wanted to. For a good half decade, we have been the envy of most NHL teams. It's been probably some of the most fun years I've had as a Canuck fan. We came one game short of a cup and lost to a powerhouse. Gillis has a record of 225 wins 111 losses and 40 OT losses since taking over, with 2 Presidents trophies along that stretch. We have won the Northwest Division every year he has been a GM. The NTC's Gillis gave out allowed us to build a powerhouse team. Now, our window is beginning to close and we're starting to pay for it. Such is life, and its a fair price to pay for the stretch we've had over the last half decade. But what do some of us choose to remember Gillis for? Hodgson, Booth, Ballard, and Luongo. Wow...

You know why every team hates us? Because we beat the pulp out of their teams constantly . The Edmonton's,Calgary's, and Colorado's of the world are going to call us the 'laughing stock of the NHL' to make themselves feel better. Misery loves company. I just didn't expect our own fans to jump on that bandwagon too.
Yep. When I look back I'll remember how fun it was to watch the Canucks win. It's too bad for other people if all they're going to take away from this era, whenever it ends, is rage that he "screwed up" the Cody Godson deal, that Lu shouldn't have been signed, yadda yadda.

We have a fanbase that just doesn't know how to handle success, and now, after the fact, they don't know how to deal with some bumps in the road either. I'm only a somewhat recent fan myself, but I can only wonder how some of these guys would react if they'd had to endure the losing of the 70's and 80's. No offense to the older, long-time fans around here, but personally I'm quite thankful I haven't had to go through that.

Last edited by vanuck: 06-29-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old
06-30-2013, 09:34 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
It really baffles me that Luongo's contract is viewed as "bad" in light of these kind of deals.

The cap re-capture clause removes basically all the risk for a team that picks him up, we take that hit.

Would GMs honestly rather Mike Smith @ 5.5 for 6 years, or Lu @ 5.3 for 6 or 7 years. I can see the problem for Phoenix, in that his initial salary is higher, but everyone else... really? Mike Smith at a higher cap hit?

Anyway, I guess we'll see.
I don't really get it either. Even with recapture, you take the savings when the cap is higher, so the % of cap is also smaller.

To take this even another step, smart hockey people like Friedmen have even said most likely these guys won't retire durring the contract but instead have a nagging injury that will keep them from playing thus going on LTIR instead.

Old
06-30-2013, 01:44 PM
jimmythescot

I just played around with the Recapture Calculator on capgeek, and I'm now even more confused about why other teams are wary of Luongo. If he plays until 38 (a realistic age where you may worry about a sudden drop in play) the acquiring team would be looking at just over 1M a year. So, pretty much league minimum by then, probably. If he makes it to 40, it'd be 1.6M a year.

I mean, Luongo is as competitive as they come. If he's playing after 40, he's going to be a starter on near minimum wage. A small penalty for a couple years hardly seems to be the game changer people make it out to be.

Old
06-30-2013, 02:05 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Yep. When I look back I'll remember how fun it was to watch the Canucks win. It's too bad for other people if all they're going to take away from this era, whenever it ends, is rage that he "screwed up" the Cody Godson deal, that Lu shouldn't have been signed, yadda yadda.

We have a fanbase that just doesn't know how to handle success, and now, after the fact, they don't know how to deal with some bumps in the road either. I'm only a somewhat recent fan myself, but I can only wonder how some of these guys would react if they'd had to endure the losing of the 70's and 80's. No offense to the older, long-time fans around here, but personally I'm quite thankful I haven't had to go through that.
Having some relative success - mostly regular season mind you - doesn't excuse any GM from criticism when poor decisions become apparent. The standard in hockey is to win and expect GMs to further that goal at every occasion. For every good move Gillis has made - Erhoff, Higgins, Lapierre - he has been rightfully praised. Why should he be immune from criticism when he fritters away an asset like Luongo or trades for a dud in Ballard? Sorry, it doesn't work that way unless you are Gillis' mom I suppose.

As for being a fan over the years, I've followed the team since 1990 so I've seen plenty of good teams (early 90's teams, WCE years) and I don't put this team any further ahead than those teams. Presidents Trophies are fun and all but also accentuate the playoff disappointments that we've had recently. Just my opinion, but it seems to me that many posters here view the recent team as some sort of golden age that will never be repeated, which simply isn't true.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Slapshot_11

Chances of Luongo still wanting out?

Old
06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
TSN reporting Lou is not happy about this...

Old
06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
luongo321

Tortz better protect the hell out of Lu from the media. oh yeah, please pull lu when he's off of his game after 2 or 3 bad goals in quick sucession. Thanks.

Old
Jack Tripper
Vey Falls Down

vCash: 888
Quote:
its part of the risk of this trade

dreger reports gillis hasnt even spoken to him yet...hed be fully within his rights to hold out to excise himself from this mess

Old
abcdefg

Quote:
Well, his family still lives in Florida.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post

dreger reports gillis hasnt even spoken to him yet...hed be fully within his rights to hold out to excise himself from this mess
Agreed. This isn't over.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I guess you guys can hold onto those hopes if you want. He signed a lifetime deal because he likes it here. He's the starter again with a new coach. They'll kiss his ass and tell him that they love him and everything will be ok.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
More of this? The Oilers 'untouchables' are not the reason their team hasn't won a Cup. They are 18-22 years old. Hemsky and Horcoff on the other hand are oh so touchable.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:37 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I guess you guys can hold onto those hopes if you want. He signed a lifetime deal because he likes it here. He's the starter again with a new coach. They'll kiss his ass and tell him that they love him and everything will be ok.
Easy to see how the whole Lou situation will be laid off on AV. My understanding is that it was AV who originally made the switch in net.

As for TSN reporting that Lou is not happy...what? We are now giving credence to those arse hats from Toronto. A team that went cheap on goaltending and don't have a number one center? A team that has to fit Phaneuf and Kessel under the new cap limit.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:38 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post

I would believe Dregger for what reason?

Old
06-30-2013, 04:41 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
More of this? The Oilers 'untouchables' are not the reason their team hasn't won a Cup. They are 18-22 years old. Hemsky and Horcoff on the other hand are oh so touchable.
You missed the point. Just put me on ignore and stop responding to my posts. You are wasting everyones time.

Closed Thread