HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I've become "the pest"!

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
Those sorts of things happen every game and people aren't even trying to have fun. So I do what I do to have fun at peoples expense who take the game too seriously. Those are just a couple of the things that happen not including guys always punching other guys in the face. I have not been punched yet.
So basically you're screwing with other people's ice time because you think you have found your role in a beer league? Way to go.

Is it people taking the game too seriously, or perhaps people who look forward to playing a few nights a week that prefer not to have some poor man's Sean Avery running around their beer league?

Quote:
Seriously what am I doing that is so bad? Pushing a guy back after he pushes me near their net? Grabbing a stick when someone has already used it as a weapon on me? Slashing when someone slashes me first.
It's hockey. In the lowest of non-contact lower-D leagues, there will be contact. Incidental hits, contact/rubbing along the board, the frustrated slashes across the shins, arms, back, etc. It happens.

Quote:
Anyways I'll still feed off the crap because it is funny to me that people don't lighten up and they take a beer league so seriously.
From what I learned in my first few seasons coming back, the teammates who want to help you will address your faults and tell you how to improve. If they're not telling you how to improve your game, it's one of two reasons: a) you're the team ringer who has played a higher level of hockey than the rest, and b) they know their advice won't be helpful to you. I'm gonna take a guess and assume that you aren't the team ringer.

Let me put it like this: has the team spoken up and said they admired your work as the team pest? "TMLOBI, you are easily best pest not just on our team, but in the league." Have you ever heard that before?

No?

Think about it.

To me, being the beer league pest/goon means you are taking a role because you are unwilling to improve on your game. You're basically telling yourself "I'm not a good shot, I don't think I can be a playmaker. What else can I do? I got it. I can cover the parts of my game that I'm not improving on by being an annoying jerk on every shift." I've seen this person before in more than a few leagues (even a few inline leagues...yes, really), and they were never "the pest" that can also lead the team in goals or finish top 10 in assists. There's a reason why they take the role.

But if that's the "role" you think you have to the team, who am I to question it?

Old
06-27-2013, 02:38 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Ok so I just started up hockey again after a 7 year or so hiatus and I was never that good so naturally I'm still not that good. I do the little things people don't notice like skate hard, clear the net, stay in position, get in shooting lanes and block shots. But what I am not able to do is skate all that fast or carry the puck. So I have become the pest. The player the other bench seems to hate and chirp constantly. I'll draw penalties by getting into your face, pushing you (not hitting) just pushing you like offside or near your goalie to make room for myself. I'll hold your stick and call the ref saying I'm being hooked (beer league refs fall for that often.. especially because I'm not a good player so they think I don't know the game). I'll slash your shin pad to try and get you to retaliate. If you have the puck and I'm near you chances are you'll get past me rather easily but I'll still poke at the puck or your skate to slow you down. When guys get angry at my antics I usually just stand there with a big grin on my face. In the offensive zone I just crash the net hard and try to screen the goalie and hope to get a tip or a rebound. I'm not all that effective but I still manage to piss the other teams off something awful. Should have heard the guy the other day when I held his stick as the ref called him on the hook HAHAHA.

This is so much fun for me. People take it so seriously and I'm there to instigate and get under their skin. I've told a few guys on other teams that I am having lots of fun playing. This gets them a little pissed off.

I know most people will hate me for the pesty things I do but I will feed off of it!

So am I an ******* and stop being a pest? Or should I continue with my antics and try to draw penalties (really the biggest way I contribute to my team). I have drawn about 6 or so penalties in 9 games and have only taken one penalty as I goofed and slashed the guy back. We both went to the box.

A guy on my team after a game asked me "how do you manage to piss off the other bench every game? Like how can they be mad at you"? I'm typically a nice guy to most everyone so I understand his confusion HAHAHA. I'm having a blast!
If you're only playing rec hockey, then what you're doing is asinine.

Most guys just want to play beer league hockey for fun and enjoy a drink after the game - not have to endure some idiot (who probably has small mans syndrome) make-believe he's Brad Marchand.

Like iamjs pointed out, you're fun equates to making everyone else miserable.
To me, that's a level of selfishness I'll never understand.
Especially in rec hockey.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Anyways I'll still feed off the crap because it is funny to me that people don't lighten up and they take a beer league so seriously.
When I'm doing my job in my crease and some ass hat injures me (either deliberately, or accidentally because they're "being a pest"), then beer league becomes serious to me.

It's happened before, and it's the reason that I don't let "pests" take any liberties with me. I don't mind being thrown out of the game for retaliating. I do mind months of physical therapy because some ass can't find something better to do on a Sunday evening than irritate the people who are there to enjoy the game.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Teammates probably don't like you, either, because they're out there to have a good time - and not have to constantly defend themselves because the other team intends to "get even" for your nonsense.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:58 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
When I'm doing my job in my crease and some ass hat injures me (either deliberately, or accidentally because they're "being a pest"), then beer league becomes serious to me.

It's happened before, and it's the reason that I don't let "pests" take any liberties with me. I don't mind being thrown out of the game for retaliating. I do mind months of physical therapy because some ass can't find something better to do on a Sunday evening than irritate the people who are there to enjoy the game.
Quote:
Teammates probably don't like you, either, because they're out there to have a good time - and not have to constantly defend themselves because the other team intends to "get even" for your nonsense.
I wish I had more thumbs so I could give these two posts 4 thumbs-up!

Old
06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
ccarrigan

Quote:
HAHA I won't quote one person because it appears you are all very naive. It seems like EVERY game I've played it people slash, throw checks (not a contact league), dive, punch someone in the face, ***** to the refs, chirp the other team, try to start fights, purposely hook, high stick and so many other things. If people want to play that way then I will play to annoy them so they take stupid penalties.

Example 1: whistle has yet to go and I see the puck at the top of the crease and the goalie is going to smother it, I skate hard and try to knock in it the net but the goalie gets it and the whistle blows and I let up. A guy TWO hands me so I slash him back and say "don't ****ing slash me" he *****es to the ref and we both go to the box.

Example 2: offensive zone lose puck on the boards on my wing other guy and I race for it I get there first he takes the but end of his stick and hits me in the ribs. I get the puck to a line mate and then he puts his stick under my arm pit so I don't let it go. He cheated so I did what it took to get him off the ice.

Those sorts of things happen every game and people aren't even trying to have fun. So I do what I do to have fun at peoples expense who take the game too seriously. Those are just a couple of the things that happen not including guys always punching other guys in the face. I have not been punched yet.

Seriously what am I doing that is so bad? Pushing a guy back after he pushes me near their net? Grabbing a stick when someone has already used it as a weapon on me? Slashing when someone slashes me first.

Have you ever been seriously injured playing hockey? All it takes is a stick out of place, a nudge at the wrong time, and it's 3 months recovery after some dislocations or broken bones. You're basing your actions on your perception of what happens (he slashed me OR he was falling and his stick hit you... he held me OR the guy behind him pushed him in to you) and not necessarily their intent.

People like you get one verbal warning and then a drop. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

Yeah, like when some d-bag slew footed me because I scored a couple goals and I missed two months of hockey with concussion symptoms and had to do two months of physical therapy after spending $4,000 in medical tests to find out why I was dizzy and getting headaches...I don't want to do that again.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Fanned On It

So the verdict is in... you're being an ass-hat. Please stop ASAP so that everyone in your league can go back to having fun, including your teammates who every time they are on the ice with you have to worry about not passing you the puck or expecting a pass from you because you're too busy "being a pest" to the other team.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah, like when some d-bag slew footed me because I scored a couple goals and I missed two months of hockey with concussion symptoms and had to do two months of physical therapy after spending $4,000 in medical tests to find out why I was dizzy and getting headaches...I don't want to do that again.
Exactly - I still can't sleep on my right side because six years ago, I was in the corner playing the puck, and a "pest" decided that my skates and head needed to change locations with one another.

Beer league teams generally don't carry backup goalies, either, so I'm sure that the "pest" felt great about himself. Yay - your team won! Good job.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:25 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
I do mind months of physical therapy because some ass can't find something better to do on a Sunday evening than irritate the people who are there to enjoy the game.
Quote:
Thank you. :thumbsup: x10

Last edited by iamjs: 06-27-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Nothing wrong with getting under peoples skin, but there is when you try and injure.

Trust me, I love playing the game. My game on the ice does not resemble me off the ice and I often would push people too much. I am taking a break now, but I would never try and physically hurt someone.

BUT, if you hit one of my teammates from behind/in the head (with intention) I'll be throwing punches before you have the chance to cover yourself.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:38 AM
Wooty

The NHL could eliminate checking and all violent play and the sport would still be hockey.
The skilled stuff is what would be left

The game is putting a puck in the other teams goal with a stick while you are on ice. All the other stuff does not define the sport. Checking, pestering etc. are not what makes anyone a hockey player.

Old
06-28-2013, 06:30 AM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
The NHL could eliminate checking and all violent play and the sport would still be hockey.
The skilled stuff is what would be left

The game is putting a puck in the other teams goal with a stick while you are on ice. All the other stuff does not define the sport. Checking, pestering etc. are not what makes anyone a hockey player.
Although I agree with your overall point that "extra-cirricular" activity is not an essential part of the game, I would argue that checking is large component of the North American game. To me, international hockey on the bigger ice surface looks like soccer (or football for those with refined tastes). This is not meant as a Don Cherry-esque, xenophobic slur; I mean it quite literally. International hockey is more of a posession/skill game, the pace appears to be slower because of the larger surface, and also because the surface is not as confined, there is less opportunity and a lower premium on checking.

Old
06-28-2013, 06:48 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
Although I agree with your overall point that "extra-cirricular" activity is not an essential part of the game, I would argue that checking is large component of the North American game. To me, international hockey on the bigger ice surface looks like soccer (or football for those with refined tastes). This is not meant as a Don Cherry-esque, xenophobic slur; I mean it quite literally. International hockey is more of a possession/skill game, the pace appears to be slower because of the larger surface, and also because the surface is not as confined, there is less opportunity and a lower premium on checking.
All good points, but checking is not a part of 99% of beer leagues in North America. By that, I mean a league that has it written into their rules vs some contact that might be considered to be checking by some.

You might run into a league on occasion that has a bunch of players that were former pros or college players that will play checking. By the sounds of it, that's not where the OP is.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:15 AM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
checking is not a part of 99% of beer leagues in North America. By that, I mean a league that has it written into their rules vs some contact that might be considered to be checking by some.
You're definitely right about the "99%" thing. I think as a liabilty issue, pretty much all beer leagues are billed as non-checking leagues. Where the lines between contact and checking are drawn and how the officials call it has always been a grey area though... At least in the leagues that I have played in. I have never seen a penalty called for checking in a beer league game and it's always been pretty much anything goes. Again, this is just from my experience. I guess it's all subject to the referee's interpretation of the rules in each individual game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
You might run into a league on occasion that has a bunch of players that were former pros or college players that will play checking. By the sounds of it, that's not where the OP is.
I see what you're getting at, but I would argue that there is less hitting when these guys play recreationally. Anytime I have been lucky enough to play with some elite players, those guys seem to be all about the skill game and setting up plays. Similarly, when watching high level men's league games the pace is so frantic that the speed of the game doesn't allow for a lot of hitting.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Moral of the story: beer league is for fun, not to win at any cost.

Shutting her down.

Closed Thread