HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jake Gardiner for top center

Old
06-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Sound logic. The question is: what would the sweetener be?
It would have to be Barrie..

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
Barring Lecavalier landing in Toronto, I think a Gardiner-Statsny trade would benefit both teams. Assuming Gardiner really is being shopped. Although I think Colorado would have to add a little sweetener. Between PS's cap hit and Gardiner cost controlled still being on his ELC.
Every time this is brought up...a war ensues. I hope you are ready for what is about to happen

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:29 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Sam Gagner is not the answer to Toronto's #1 Center woes. Small, soft, never had a remarkable season offensively.
I realize that, but dealing RHN isn't the answer to the Oilers defensive woes. It makes about as much sense,probably even less, for the Leafs to acquire Gagner as the Oilers to deal RNH.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
Barring Lecavalier landing in Toronto, I think a Gardiner-Statsny trade would benefit both teams. Assuming Gardiner really is being shopped. Although I think Colorado would have to add a little sweetener. Between PS's cap hit and Gardiner cost controlled still being on his ELC.
Stastny has barely outscored Phaneuf during the last two years.

Gardiner will not be traded for Stastny. He's got one year left on his contract, he's overpaid and hasn't produced enough..

I can almost guarantee that Gardiner will be within 10 points of Stastny's point totals next year.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulleroinen View Post
Did you see anyone saying that RNH is the best player in the league? Of course you did not. Yet a leafs fan said that Oilers fans think that. Why don't you whine about that?
You're all over the place man.

Did you see anyone saying that Gardiner is the next Orr? Of course you did not. Yet you said that Leafs fans think that. Why don't you whine about that?

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
It would have to be Barrie..
I would do Sgarbossa or MAYBE Elliott, but not Barrie. We are trying to strengthen our D corps not make a SOMEWHAT lateral move.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrielly View Post
FIRST OF ALL...

no leaf fan is actually suggesting gardiner for RNH... not one. we all realize we would have to add our first and a couple more nice pieces

second of all, i would like to ask a question to the oilers...

would you not consider rnh expendable if (hypohetical scenario) you sign lecavalier to a three to four year contract to be your in your top 6 along with gagner (who you guys all claim to love except that there is not enough size in your top six with him and RNH). And then you draft a nice big potential number 1 in monohan/nichushkin in this years draft. you then end up with a top 6 with:

hall-lecavalier-yakupov
mps/?-gagner-eberle

later

hall-nichushkin/monohan-yak
mps/?-gagner-eberle

while getting major assets for rnh
No.

Based on his potential and the amount of time he will be under contract, RNH is one of the most immovable players in the NHL. There is nothing the Leafs have to offer that would interest the Oilers.

If the Leafs want a 20 year old, number one overall centre on his ELC, they are going to have draft him themselves.

There are no shortcuts for acquiring this type of player.

Worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
DougGilmour93

No interest in RNH. He's not what we need. He's overrateted and a bit too soft. There are better options out there for us, and I'd much rather explore those avenues.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I would do Sgarbossa or MAYBE Elliott, but not Barrie. We are trying to strengthen our D corps not make a SOMEWHAT lateral move.
Im not a big fan of Elliot but others are. That might be something to investigate if making a deal hinged on Barrie not being part of it.

Old
The Camera Eye

People are taking the OP too literally. I don't think Dreger mentioned RNH. Gardiner for Gagner makes more sense.

The Camera Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Sloth Slothersons*

There's a reason taking a center at #7 is a priority. We don't have enough of them. Gagner could be traded, definitely not RNH.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Sloth Slothersons*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
No interest in RNH. He's not what we need. He's overrateted and a bit too soft. There are better options out there for us, and I'd much rather explore those avenues.
So Gardiner for RNH is a no from the Leafs?

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Aceboogie

Quote:
FIRST OF ALL...

no leaf fan is actually suggesting gardiner for RNH... not one. we all realize we would have to add our first and a couple more nice pieces

would you not consider rnh expendable if (hypohetical scenario) you sign lecavalier to a three to four year contract to be your in your top 6 along with gagner (who you guys all claim to love except that there is not enough size in your top six with him and RNH). And then you draft a nice big potential number 1 in monohan/nichushkin in this years draft. you then end up with a top 6 with:

hall-lecavalier-yakupov
mps/?-gagner-eberle

later

mps/?-gagner-eberle

Not me.

Lecalavier is a pipe dream to acquire in the first place. Even then, he is likely a max 2c right now (maybe 1c for 1-2 more seasons) So after that, we have no #1 center. Monahan could be a #1 center, but not forsure as guys drafted in 6-10 range dont always turn into #1 center.

RNH is already a #1c and projected (and expected) to be a franchise center. Its nearly impossible to get them.

To go full homer, I wouldnt even move RNH for Kessel, thats how important I view RNH to Edmonton.

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

Dreger talks about Leafs doing something crazy....people laugh at Leafs and call Leaf fans stupid....

Ahhhhh. Yep, smells like offseason!

Commander Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
People are taking the OP too literally. I don't think Dreger mentioned RNH. Gardiner for Gagner makes more sense.
Dreger made three separate speculations. They seemed connected because of how quickly he was talking. He bounced from: a) Gardiner being shopped; b) Phaneuf rumour to EDM; and c) whether EDM would part with RNH.

Gardiner reminded him of Phaneuf; Phaneuf reminded him of EDM; EDM reminded him of RNH.

All separate items to speculate about. But of course HF posters lose it: "LOLOLOLOLOL Gardiner for RNH, OMG! Leafs fans are nuts!!!"

Bodangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I realize that, but dealing RHN isn't the answer to the Oilers defensive woes. It makes about as much sense,probably even less, for the Leafs to acquire Gagner as the Oilers to deal RNH.
If I'm understanding correctly, Dreger used him an example. I don't think there was actually speculation or rumour based around RNH for Gardiner.

06-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Asher

Quote:
FIRST OF ALL...

hall-lecavalier-yakupov
mps/?-gagner-eberle

later

mps/?-gagner-eberle

It's kinda hard to consider this scenario when I think there's a snowball's chance in hell of the bolded part happening. Maybe if by some weird turn of events it does I might give your idea more thought.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Year 108

vCash: 314
RNH was proven more at 19 than Gardiner has at (soon to be) 23

just stop Dreger...it leaves a massive hole at #1 center

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Bodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Exactly. I'm not interested in him. Your players are like tools in a toolbox: it's pointless having a box full of Philips-head screwdrivers. You need variety for a variety of situations. I'm not saying RNH is a bad player. I'm saying his value is less to TOR than it is to EDM because TOR already has a small, young centre with excellent vision in Kadri. If we get another centre, it has to be a big body with puck possession skills.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Anyone who would suggest that is just talking nonsense. First, it would never happen. Secondly, even though Im not the biggest RNH fan, he's still a baby in NHL terms and the sky is the limit with him. Gardiner doesnt have that.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Fourier

Quote:
FIRST OF ALL...

hall-lecavalier-yakupov
mps/?-gagner-eberle

later

mps/?-gagner-eberle

Not a chance Lecavalier makes RNH expendable.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:47 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Year 108

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodangles View Post
Exactly. I'm not interested in him. Your players are like tools in a toolbox: it's pointless having a box full of Philips-head screwdrivers. You need variety for a variety of situations. I'm not saying RNH is a bad player. I'm saying his value is less to TOR than it is to EDM because TOR already has a small, young centre with excellent vision in Kadri. If we get another centre, it has to be a big body with puck possession skills.
RNH> Kadri

again...RNH has proven more in the NHL as a 19 year old than Kadri at 22

Kadri is closer to Gagner than RNH

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Not a chance Lecavalier makes expendable.
Get this man another beer.

Old
DougGilmour93

Quote:
I'd rather not go for RNH. If Gardiner had to be included in a deal for us to acquire a 1st line center, RNH is not who'd I'd target. If RNH was the only option I'd rather keep Gardiner.

Right now we have the luxury (just like every other team) of trying to woo V.Lecavalier for nothing (but cash). So that would be my first option.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:48 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Gandiner is amazing, Nuge is made of glass, but TO fans would gladly make the swap. Interesting conversation.

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote