HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Vinny Lecavalier bought out | signed with Philly (5 years, $4.5M cap hit, full NMC)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2014, 07:41 PM
  #501
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,010
vCash: 500
**** all that, thanks for everything, stay in Philly

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 08:25 PM
  #502
Kramerica Industries
Registered User
 
Kramerica Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
I think this may have changed when he was on the fourth line late in the season; I didn't check Extra Skater on this, but for the large part of the season, he made his linemates worse. Every single one of them. He was one of Philly's worst rated forwards.

Yes, he's Vinny, of course we like the guy. But that's no reason to sign a player who has no obvious fit on this roster. Not to mention that it could stunt player development for someone like Drouin who is quite clearly envisioned to be a C but would be moved to W under a situation where Lecavalier comes aboard, presumably.

It's a name value trick and Steve Yzerman is too smart to fall for it.

Kramerica Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 08:33 PM
  #503
BOLTMAN
Registered User
 
BOLTMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Some one said a couple of years to me and at that time a couple of years ago that Montreal offered Price, PK Suppan and something else straight up for Vinny (I think it was maybe 3 years ago)

Any truth to that?

And it was a friend of mine from Chicago (a Blackhawk fan) that said it and he said we were nuts not to take it. And of couarse at that time I told him that he was nuts if the Lightning would give Vinny up for that unproven crap. lol

Anyways is my memory failing? I don't dare remind of this. lol

BOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
  #504
ultra63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Unfortunately we did not make that trade.

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:28 PM
  #505
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
He's too slow. He's not even close to the player he once was.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:35 PM
  #506
Kramerica Industries
Registered User
 
Kramerica Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1394091

Also this:

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/201...e-is-done.html

Quote:
Finally, the mother of all near-misses. Habs fans have been crying about Vincent Lecavalier using his big, talented Frenchness to help the Tampa Bay Lightning since he was drafted first overall in 1998. He's approached free agency twice since then, and rumours about him possibly signing with Montreal ran rampant. Then, in the summer of 2009, Lecavalier was about to start the first year of an 11-year contract worth 10 million bucks a season, complete with no-trade clause, and the rumours were swirling again. Names like Tomas Plekanec, Josh Gorges, P.K.Subban, Carey Price and Chris Higgins, as well as multiple first-round draft picks were all mentioned in potential packages for Lecavalier. Later, Brian Lawton...much to Gainey's chagrin...revealed Plekanec, Higgins and Gorges were indeed on the table. Gainey confirmed to the Globe & Mail that the Lightning were asking for Subban as well. Ken Campbell reported in The Hockey News that there actually was a deal in place that included Plekanec, Price and a prospect, believed to be Subban. Campbell said the deal was done, but Gary Bettman refused league approval because of an ongoing battle between the feuding Lightning owners.
Oh, well. **** you once again, Oren Koules and Len Barrie.

Kramerica Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:44 PM
  #507
MattM92
Registered User
 
MattM92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLTMAN View Post
Some one said a couple of years to me and at that time a couple of years ago that Montreal offered Price, PK Suppan and something else straight up for Vinny (I think it was maybe 3 years ago)

Any truth to that?

And it was a friend of mine from Chicago (a Blackhawk fan) that said it and he said we were nuts not to take it. And of couarse at that time I told him that he was nuts if the Lightning would give Vinny up for that unproven crap. lol

Anyways is my memory failing? I don't dare remind of this. lol
It was 5 or 6 years ago. It was during the cowboy (Koules and Barrie) days.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:37 PM
  #508
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!
 
AimForTopCheddar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 1566
If Philly buys him out, I would happily welcome him back with open arms. He loves us and we love him, if we can sign him for cheap then he would be a good pick up for our 3rd or 4th line assuming he is willing to.

AimForTopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:28 AM
  #509
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
If Philly buys him out, I would happily welcome him back with open arms. He loves us and we love him, if we can sign him for cheap then he would be a good pick up for our 3rd or 4th line assuming he is willing to.
Love Vinny but I'd be against this idea, he really shouldn't be kicking one of the kids out of place just because of his name. According to Philly fans he's a huge defensive liability and sucks on faceoffs now, complete 180 from his last 2 years here, but I don't think it's worth the gamble. His only usefulness would be that shot on the PP but I'd much rather develop Kucherov or Drouin on the PP.

I really don't think we need him back for "leadership" either, Stamkos is doing one hell of a job and IMO is already better then Vinny in how he handles everything, Vinny was hot headed a lot of times, took stupid penalties, fought at dumb times when the team could've used him on the ice, seemed like he had to force the leadership whereas it's so natural with Stamkos.


Last edited by Sky04: 05-02-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:54 AM
  #510
DFC
Registered User
 
DFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky04 View Post
Love Vinny but I'd be against this idea, he really shouldn't be kicking one of the kids out of place just because of his name. According to Philly fans he's a huge defensive liability and sucks on faceoffs now, complete 180 from his last 2 years here, but I don't think it's worth the gamble. His only usefulness would be that shot on the PP but I'd much rather develop Kucherov or Drouin on the PP.

I really don't think we need him back for "leadership" either, Stamkos is doing one hell of a job and IMO is already better then Vinny in how he handles everything, Vinny was hot headed a lot of times, took stupid penalties, fought at dumb times when the team could've used him on the ice, seemed like he had to force the leadership whereas it's so natural with Stamkos.
Agreed, and he was always hounded by work ethic rumors, which appear to be true considering the 1980s type curve his career has had (steep decline in his early thirties). Not really what I'm looking for in leadership at this point. He used to be talented enough to pull it off, but now, I'm not sure what kind of example he would be able to set.

There might come a point in Vinny's career where he's willing to take a 4th line role. Reports out of Philly said that wasn't this year though (Vinny was reportedly unhappy when demoted). When he's at that stage of his career, I think we could find room for him. As of now, I don't see any way it benefits the team, and could potentially hurt us.

This isn't the same team that Vinny left.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
  #511
zeykshade
Registered User
 
zeykshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 5,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1394091

Also this:

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/201...e-is-done.html



Oh, well. **** you once again, Oren Koules and Len Barrie.
Augh, I wish to **** I could forget what I just read.

Stamkos, Price, Hedman, Subban, Plekanec?!? Are you ******** me? We eat Boston, and very likely Vancouver in 2011, with that core. Not to mention, how incredibly awful are the Habs without those players? Good god.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:24 PM
  #512
MattM92
Registered User
 
MattM92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
Augh, I wish to **** I could forget what I just read.

Stamkos, Price, Hedman, Subban, Plekanec?!? Are you ******** me? We eat Boston, and very likely Vancouver in 2011, with that core. Not to mention, how incredibly awful are the Habs without those players? Good god.
But Montreal would have a now slow and injury prone Vinny. That's pretty much even, no?

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:28 PM
  #513
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015
 
Mikey 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
What could've been. That's just depressing, lol.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:56 PM
  #514
Kramerica Industries
Registered User
 
Kramerica Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Yeah, I mean, I didn't even remember any of that stuff myself, and of course it's easy to play the 20/20 hindsight game; I mean, none of those guys were near the levels they are today and who knows if things play out the same in what, at the time, was a cesspool hockey organization.

But, dammit, given that Vinny was increasingly injury-prone at that point in time, it's not like shipping him off was the crazy idea there. What could've been indeed...

Kramerica Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:04 PM
  #515
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Maelmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
No matter what, I still love Vinny

__________________
Todd Harvey, Adam Oates and Darren Puppa, you are all missed in the game of hockey!
Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:51 PM
  #516
zeykshade
Registered User
 
zeykshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 5,405
vCash: 500
I still love Vinny as well. He's just a much better human being than a hockey player at this point. Won't find a better person for a hockey community.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 06:22 PM
  #517
ultra63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
"off-season game plan: Philadelphia flyers"

"Perhaps the biggest issue to handle this summer will be what to do with Vincent Lecavalier, last summer's big free agent acquisition who fell flat after joining the Flyers. A buyout would be awfully expensive, so maybe the Flyers could find team willing to take on Lecavalier's contract while Philadelphia pays some of the salary. The Flyers have enough skilled players, and young, developing forwards, that they should still be decent on the attack."

"Vincent Lecavalier's game went off a cliff last season. He had poor possession numbers, despite offensive zone starts and relatively easy quality of opposition; 37 points in 69 games was his lowest points per game since 2001-2002 and he ended up playing 15:11 per game, his lowest time on ice since his rookie year, 1998-1999. He's still under contract for four more seasons which is more than a little problematic for a 34-year-old coming off a bad year."

Downie seems to have fallen off the same cliff- 4 goals in 62 games

" Philadelphia could use a quality addition on defence even if Timonen returns, so if Timonen leaves, might as well make it two.

Free agents Sami Salo, Anton Stralman or Raphael Diaz might help and taking a shot at top AHL defenceman T.J. Brennan (from nearby Willingboro, NJ) might improve the Flyers' ability to move the puck from the back end."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=453780

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 07:03 AM
  #518
angelsil
On Thin Ice
 
angelsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tampa. Again. Soon
Country: United States
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
"

Philadelphia could use a quality addition on defence...

Free agents Sami Salo

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=453780
Do people really think Salo is going to be a quality defense addition next season?

It was concerning how much he declined last season. I don't see him bouncing back next year, assuming he doesn't retire.

angelsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:22 AM
  #519
robertguess2013
Registered User
 
robertguess2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Port Richey Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,556
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsil View Post
Do people really think Salo is going to be a quality defense addition next season?

It was concerning how much he declined last season. I don't see him bouncing back next year, assuming he doesn't retire.
I have seen a lot of fans interested on other teams I have just kept mouth closed.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 04:16 PM
  #520
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,010
vCash: 500
Sami is Sami. Hes good, not that fast anymore, and you have to shelter him and cut minutes some nights.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 04:32 PM
  #521
DFC
Registered User
 
DFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Sami is Sami. Hes good, not that fast anymore, and you have to shelter him and cut minutes some nights.
Yeah. I would really not mind bringing him back if he were the only guy with a speed issue back there. But mobility felt like a bigger and bigger weakness for our defense as a whole as the season got into the deeper stages.

For what it's worth though, I thought Sami was better than we could have expected him to be in these two years.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 04:36 PM
  #522
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Yeah. I would really not mind bringing him back if he were the only guy with a speed issue back there. But mobility felt like a bigger and bigger weakness for our defense as a whole as the season got into the deeper stages.

For what it's worth though, I thought Sami was better than we could have expected him to be in these two years.
Agreed. He also stayed healthier than I thought he would.

__________________
VL4ever
"It's still All In to me dammit." - Felonious Python
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 04:45 PM
  #523
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
In a reduced role like Brewer had he can still be pretty good. Unfortunately for us we can't play the two together. What kind of deal is he looking for? I wouldn't mind him as a 6/7 over Kostka for 1 year at 2mil but he probably wants more and the fact he doesn't play well with Carle or Brewer isn't good.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 04:47 PM
  #524
hfgreg
Obviously...
 
hfgreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,490
vCash: 500
Sami's gone guys.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 04:58 PM
  #525
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Sami's gone guys.
We all agree but he wasn't terrible were we want him nowhere near the team again. If not for Brewer he would be the perfect bottom pair veteran for Barberio and Aulie. We just happen to have a slightly better veteran in that role already.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.