HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Lecavalier bought out | signed with Philly (5 years, $4.5M cap hit, full NMC)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2013, 04:34 PM
  #201
Benders Lindyhop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
I may have missed it with my anger, why couldn't they do restructre of his contract or something like that? Is that the new CBA too?

I hate the new CBA for sure. And I do get this is a business and what not. But when you do this to a player like him? It goes a little past that.

My dad and I talked earlier and this might be our last year as season ticket members after this stunt.

Take what you will from that, I know it will make me not a real fan, an idiot, and clueless about how hockey/business works. But I value loyalty very highly in all things in life. Guess it's why I don't work in the business world where money > loyalty. I don't buy into that.
Yeah, the restructuring isn't allowed. Wasn't under the previous CBA either. I have to think if it was Vinny would have tried. Just wasn't an option.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:36 PM
  #202
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 13,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Says that buying out Malone was never discussed. Ok, now that irritates me. No actually it pisses me off.
If it was discussed he's not going to say that with Malone still on the team.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:36 PM
  #203
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,727
vCash: 500
Vinny talked to RDS in Montreal and he seemed pretty sad about the whole thing.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:38 PM
  #204
angelsil
On Thin Ice
 
angelsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tampa. Again. Soon
Country: United States
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
I've been going to games for 16 plus years, and other than the aesthetics move that was awful and pissed me off, this is the worst thing to happen.
I had season tickets the first year they played (not currently, due to being in Mississauga and all) but, yeah. I agree.

Worst day in Lightning history. Ever.

angelsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:43 PM
  #205
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
I may have missed it with my anger, why couldn't they do restructre of his contract or something like that? Is that the new CBA too?

I hate the new CBA for sure. And I do get this is a business and what not. But when you do this to a player like him? It goes a little past that.

My dad and I talked earlier and this might be our last year as season ticket members after this stunt.

Take what you will from that, I know it will make me not a real fan, an idiot, and clueless about how hockey/business works. But I value loyalty very highly in all things in life. Guess it's why I don't work in the business world where money > loyalty. I don't buy into that.
You can't restructure a contract, it's a take it or leave it once buyout deadline is over on July 4th.

The new CBA definitely hurt the Lightning in terms of CAP space, we were perfectly fine with Lecavaliers caphit under the previous agreement.

I'm all for loyalty and all but you know what? Part of this is on Lecavalier himself, his game has taken a hit and he hasn't been playing worth his money either. He's being paid 10 million dollars a year while missing 20~ games a season and produces largely under PPG. He's not playing worth his contract and he understands that, he's said it multiple times that if he could restructure his contract for lower pay, he would.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:43 PM
  #206
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,702
vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Wow.

Yzerman was just on 620.

Says that buying out Malone was never discussed. Ok, now that irritates me. No actually it pisses me off.

Also when the host said that was reported in the media, he went off on a mini-tirade about irresponsible journalism. Flat out stated that the rumored Vinny trade to Toronto and then subsequent buyout was totally bogus. Never a phone call made and was never an option. Sounded kind of pissed too.
No reason for Yzerman to say that when Malone is still on the team and may be trying to extract value out of him.

__________________
Error 503 Service Unavailable
Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:43 PM
  #207
Alivesi
Registered User
 
Alivesi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 974
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Wow.

Yzerman was just on 620.

Says that buying out Malone was never discussed. Ok, now that irritates me. No actually it pisses me off.

Also when the host said that was reported in the media, he went off on a mini-tirade about irresponsible journalism. Flat out stated that the rumored Vinny trade to Toronto and then subsequent buyout was totally bogus. Never a phone call made and was never an option. Sounded kind of pissed too.
Hopefully he never discussed buying out Malone because there is a trade possible. And I'd rather buyout Brewer than Malone..

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:47 PM
  #208
Benders Lindyhop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killorn View Post
No reason for Yzerman to say that when Malone is still on the team and may be trying to extract value out of him.
Yeah I get that, still kind of irks me if Malone doesn't get bought out or traded though.

I was more surprised at about how vehement he was about the "irresponsible journalism"

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:00 PM
  #209
2 Weekes Notice
Registered User
 
2 Weekes Notice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Non-traditional Land
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Yeah I get that, still kind of irks me if Malone doesn't get bought out or traded though.

I was more surprised at about how vehement he was about the "irresponsible journalism"
As he should be. If it's reported that he's willing to add a pick to get someone to take Malone off his hands, what does that do to this value?

Malone and Vinny are total apples and oranges here anyway. Malone wouldn't be costing 7.7m on the cap in 2020.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:02 PM
  #210
722ish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
I can't lie, my personal feeling about someone that was that good for the community even makes it really hard for me to view from strictly a business perspective. I hope he has some good luck, and returns at some point to finish his career here, but wouldn't blame him if he felt like the team had done him wrong!

722ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:06 PM
  #211
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,702
vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
As he should be. If it's reported that he's willing to add a pick to get someone to take Malone off his hands, what does that do to this value?

Malone and Vinny are total apples and oranges here anyway. Malone wouldn't be costing 7.7m on the cap in 2020.
I don't know if I believe that report. If Vinik is willing to buyout Lecavalier for over 30M he should be willing to buyout Lecavalier for under a Mil for the next 4.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:13 PM
  #212
Benders Lindyhop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
As he should be. If it's reported that he's willing to add a pick to get someone to take Malone off his hands, what does that do to this value?

Malone and Vinny are total apples and oranges here anyway. Malone wouldn't be costing 7.7m on the cap in 2020.
The irresponsible journalism he was discussing was in regards to that ******** from Brooks about the supposed discussions between TB and Toronto, re: Vinny and buyout. You know that one that the league said would be circumvention. The only thing he said about Malone was a buyout was never discussed.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:42 PM
  #213
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,621
vCash: 61
Very bitter sweet. In the long run I think that this is absolutely the best move that the Lightning could have made (although I would have started w/Malone)-but it really sucks. Vinny's a warrior and has given everything to this organization. He's earned having #4 hanging from the rafters one day.

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:49 PM
  #214
JamieG
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
Another wonderful move by our great GM.

I'm pissed off. I can't believe Vinny is gone. He has been my favorite Bolt for the longest time. An autograph stick of his hangs in my room along with an autograph picture of him and Iginla fighting in the Cup finals.

This is just surreal. I can't believe he will be with another team. All the things he has done for this area too, he is Tampa Bay.

I hate the fact that the new CBA keeps screwing teams with lower caps, but I don't agree that this "had to happen."

This sucks so freaking much. I don't know what this team will look like without Vinny on the ice.

****.
You should know what the team looks like without Lecavalier...he's been injured enough.

I think it's rather immature and short-sighted to be all upset because he was your favorite player.

Smart organizations don't do illogical things because it makes a fan feel good.

The bottom line is that it was a terrible contract that handcuffed the Lightning. 7 million cap hit for the next 7 years was insane.

If Vinik was willing to pony up the money then it was definitely the smart move.

This move shows that the organization wants to win.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:58 PM
  #215
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
You should know what the team looks like without Lecavalier...he's been injured enough.

I think it's rather immature and short-sighted to be all upset because he was your favorite player.

Smart organizations don't do illogical things because it makes a fan feel good.

The bottom line is that it was a terrible contract that handcuffed the Lightning. 7 million cap hit for the next 7 years was insane.

If Vinik was willing to pony up the money then it was definitely the smart move.

This move shows that the organization wants to win.
It's not within your rights to tell another poster how they should or should not react.

Fans aren't robots, it's perfectly fine to be overcome by emotion and have it affect personal decisions. It's not like he claimed he would not be cheering for this team anymore; he simply said that he would not be renewing his season tickets. It's a matter of personal preference and how he and his father choose to spend their resources - a matter that is entirely up to them.

Let fans vent, that's what forum boards are for.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:22 PM
  #216
ThunderRoad
Registered User
 
ThunderRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
You should know what the team looks like without Lecavalier...he's been injured enough.

I think it's rather immature and short-sighted to be all upset because he was your favorite player.

Smart organizations don't do illogical things because it makes a fan feel good.

The bottom line is that it was a terrible contract that handcuffed the Lightning. 7 million cap hit for the next 7 years was insane.

If Vinik was willing to pony up the money then it was definitely the smart move.

This move shows that the organization wants to win.

And typically the team has not fared well when he is missing from the lineup. His injury history has been present the past few years, but those injuries were never of the chronic variety but more freak incidents that cannot be planned for. In my opinion, his value to the Lightning as a whole has been greatly undervalued.

I'm upset because he was my favorite player as well - has been since he was drafted. He is one of the few players that have suited up for the Lightning that have been totally committed to this team. He loved this team, he loved this city, more so than any other player (and that includes Marty who many crown the heart and soul).

I love the Lightning, have since I first saw them play at Expo Hall, and will continue to do so. But this transaction is not some trivial offseason maneuver. This is taking a piece of Lightning history away - a still highly effective player that respected this franchise like no other.

ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:23 PM
  #217
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,974
vCash: 500
I'm upset too. It sux to lose a guy like Vinny. But it was smart for the organization and. It does show me a lot that Vinik was willing to do this. Because you don't spend 30 mil just to spend 30 mil. There's a plan involved and its going to be easier for the team to accomplish it now that they don't have to spend 10 mil or whatever it was to a player that was often injured and hardly worth that much. He was worth it in the sense that he's given so much to this team and community but from a competitive standpoint it's not happening. They kind of had to make this move. If it wasn't happening now it was happening next summer. Even Vinny kind of sensed it if you hear his farewell message.

I think we all feel for this one but also can look forward to a new era in TB Hockey. MSL will be our new captain and Stamkos will be leading the way as well. We have a fresh new talented kid coming in. Hopefully Drouin but I feel it will be Barkov or possibly Jones. It will be a great player regardless that we will have the opportunity to build around and as fans we should only be so lucky to be able to replace a great player Like Vinny with another super star player. If it turns out that way. But as a fan even though I'm sad about saying goodby to Vinny, I am willing to turn the page and look forward to this new team we will have. All of the Crunch players who we are excited about will get a shot. Stamkos will still be firing shots from the circle. MSL will still be here doing what he does. I'm excited for what the future brings for this team.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:50 PM
  #218
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF
 
dbieon12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
I hope Vinny doesn't have hard feelings. The fans clearly support him. As a fan, I would like to see him play in a Lightning jersey again to close out his career.

I don't think this was a malicious decision but a business/competitive one.

It does mean Vinik and Yzerman better do something (doesn't need to be a big free agent) but success on the ice would ease the pain.

__________________
.
Be the Thunder.
dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:03 PM
  #219
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
I hope Vinny doesn't have hard feelings. The fans clearly support him. As a fan, I would like to see him play in a Lightning jersey again to close out his career.

I don't think this was a malicious decision but a business/competitive one.

It does mean Vinik and Yzerman better do something (doesn't need to be a big free agent) but success on the ice would ease the pain.
They need to be what the past regime wasn't. Smart with their money. They can make a big signing but it better be a damn good one. Not saying that VL wasn't a bad signing at the time but the contract was surely a bad idea. They need to be smart about what they do with this money. Fill out our bottom lines with guys who can and will get the job done. We seem to be doing ok with top talent. We need depth big time. That's not even talking about our defense and goaltending yet.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
  #220
JamieG
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
It's not within your rights to tell another poster how they should or should not react.

Fans aren't robots, it's perfectly fine to be overcome by emotion and have it affect personal decisions. It's not like he claimed he would not be cheering for this team anymore; he simply said that he would not be renewing his season tickets. It's a matter of personal preference and how he and his father choose to spend their resources - a matter that is entirely up to them.

Let fans vent, that's what forum boards are for.
Boards are for discussing opinions. If people are calling the owner, GM and organization idiots for doing something just because they have an emotional to someone, we can express our opinions on the statements on the board.

And in my opinion, the kind of reaction is incredibly immature.

Be sad that that Vinny is gone. Appreciate what he's done for the organization. Heck, make an argument on why you feel from a hockey standpoint the Lightning would have been better off keeping Lecavalier at 7 mil for the next 7 seasons.

However, to call in the organization stupid because you have an emotional attachment to him is not very wise and immature.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:22 PM
  #221
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
Boards are for discussing opinions. If people are calling the owner, GM and organization idiots for doing something just because they have an emotional to someone, we can express our opinions on the statements on the board.

And in my opinion, the kind of reaction is incredibly immature.

Be sad that that Vinny is gone. Appreciate what he's done for the organization. Heck, make an argument on why you feel from a hockey standpoint the Lightning would have been better off keeping Lecavalier at 7 mil for the next 7 seasons.

However, to call in the organization stupid because you have an emotional attachment to him is not very wise and immature.
I completely understand what you're saying, but it's still unnecessary to call his reaction immature or unwise. People react to news in their own way - he's clearly responding from a highly emotional state, so it's better off to just let him vent than to interfere/further agitate him.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:51 PM
  #222
snowden
Man is matter
 
snowden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I completely understand what you're saying, but it's still unnecessary to call his reaction immature or unwise. People react to news in their own way - he's clearly responding from a highly emotional state, so it's better off to just let him vent than to interfere/further agitate him.
The guy has never had a rational post on this board, though. So I'm with JamieG.

Sucks to see him go like this but if we can become a better team with him gone because of the cap space saved and the fact that our Captain won't miss a third or half of the season...then awesome. Still feel Malone should go, maybe at the draft, who knows.

Vinny and Lee Roy Selmon are probably the 2 greatest players that affected our community. He'll be back.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:11 PM
  #223
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
The guy has never had a rational post on this board, though. So I'm with JamieG.

Sucks to see him go like this but if we can become a better team with him gone because of the cap space saved and the fact that our Captain won't miss a third or half of the season...then awesome. Still feel Malone should go, maybe at the draft, who knows.

Vinny and Lee Roy Selmon are probably the 2 greatest players that affected our community. He'll be back.
Snowden I'm not entirely sure you should be posting on a public forum. Don't you have bigger problems to worry about

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:26 PM
  #224
jg39
SFY is great
 
jg39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Snowden I'm not entirely sure you should be posting on a public forum. Don't you have bigger problems to worry about
Took me a second there...outstanding post

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:28 PM
  #225
Glide5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
We need depth big time. That's not even talking about our defense and goaltending yet.
If we don't have a legit, franchise goalie between Bishop, Lindback, Vasi, Janus, and the Kid in college (I can never remember his name yet) Yaz deserves to get himself thrown out of the league haha. We actually have ton of Goalie depth and talent, we just have a terrible track record with development. Hopefully we get a new goal coach and they turn at least one of our 5 guys into a franchise rock. I'd be shocked if they all end up busting.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.