HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Belfour..What's he have left?

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2005, 06:32 PM
chuckie

vCash: 500
Belfour..What's he have left?

Hey guys what do you think of belfour, does he have a season or 2 in him or will the leaf's move him or buy him out ....?

Old
06-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Tough to say. You would have to know you could get an elite goalie if you're letting Eddie go. Khabibulin, maybe?

Old
06-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Suntouchable13

I think once the CBA is agreed upon, JFJ will just have a decision to make whether to let him go (via trade, buyout whatever) or to keep him. It all just depends on the terms of the CBA if we can afford to keep such a salary on our hands.

Old
06-04-2005, 06:59 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Belfour to Colorado for a first.

Old
06-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Rand

No idea, he's pretty much been sitting idle for the last year which isn't a good sign IMHO, he's bound to be out of practice.
Then again, one could easily argue the longer rest may do his injury prone body some good.... there's certainly validity in that POV.

I doubt he'll have completely lost it over the last year, and he was still one of the better netminders in the NHL so I figure he should at least be an average starter next season (if there is one) if not good to very good.

After that... I haven't a clue.
Doubtlessly he's already degrading, but luckily for us he tends to be a very technically sound goaltender so he won't be impacted as much by slower reflexes/footspeed as might most goalies.

For next season I'm not overly worried, two years from now I have concernes... 3yrs from now on the bizarre scenario he's still here I don't want to imagine as it'd likely be a frightening image.

Old
06-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

I don't think the Avs are going to trade a 1st for Belfour. They would have to offer us one of their high-price guys to make that work. A buyout is possible too, again provided we can get an elite starter elsewhere.

Old
06-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Eddies done

Old
06-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I don't think the Avs are going to trade a 1st for Belfour. They would have to offer us one of their high-price guys to make that work. A buyout is possible too, again provided we can get an elite starter elsewhere.
With his salary, and his age and contract a team is going to have to be extremely desperate to pull off a 1st rounder for Belfour straight up. Stranger things have happened so I suppose it's not impossible but I'd be shocked (and pleased) if it happened.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:11 PM
mooseOAK*

Eddie'll be fine for one more season.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:13 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Belfour to Colorado for a first.
That'll make it a pretty crappy first round pick.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:34 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan
Eddies done
Based on what? Wishful thinking? People talk endlessly about Eddie's injury problems, but he has averaged sixty games- about as many as you want a starter to play- in his two seasons in Toronto and if memory serves he has started every playoff game. Eddie is smart and disciplined. Like Gary Roberts, he knows how to take care of his body. The frequent complaints about his health are baseless.

As an aside, I have been very impressed with Eddie. I liked Cujo, Potvin, Fuhr, and Palmateer, but I still say without hesitation that Belfour is the best goalie to have donned a Leaf uniform in my lifetime (with the possible exception of Jiri Crha). I am happy to let him play until they have to carry him off the ice.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

All depends on the Hard Cap number

Lots of rumours that the Leafs are interested in Byron Dafoe .. They have approached his agent various times ..

So it could be Dafoe and Telly in the New NHL ..

Heck this dispersal draft thing that Bettmen is promoting could see Eddie go anywhere.

I would personally keep Eddie as I agree with Timlap that he is probably #1 modern day Leaf goalie .. however I would also want for him to be on a contender so for that unselfish sake I would let him go.

Besides Eddie keeps saving Quinns butt with play .. A year with Dafoe at the helm will make my point what kind of coach Quinn is and we would also get a top 5 lottery pick in 2006 entry draft to boot.

Last edited by Mess: 06-04-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old
06-04-2005, 08:37 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
All depends on the Hard Cap number

Lots of rumours that the Leafs are interested in Byron Dafoe .. They have approached his agent various times ..

So it could be Dafoe and Telly in the New NHL ..
Rumours from where? I'm curious. I remember many Dafoe rumours in the pre-lockout days, but have there been any since?

I like Telly, and I think Dafoe is fine. But I think we should be careful before we set Eddie adrift. We may find that our success depended a lot more on him than we realised.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Rumours from where? I'm curious. I remember many Dafoe rumours in the pre-lockout days, but have there been any since?

I like Telly, and I think Dafoe is fine. But I think we should be careful before we set Eddie adrift. We may find that our success depended a lot more on him than we realised.
I read one on the web about a month ago .. It had both Allison and Dafoe linked together in the same article as Leaf possibilities .. Apparently Carolina and Toronto have shown the most interest in Allison but according to his agent 15 teams have been in contact with him ..

Byron Dafoe was almost recruited to play in the AHL last year and then they went with Aubin .. Dafoe said he needs to rest and heal and be in the best condition when the Leafs come calling again ..

Old
06-04-2005, 08:55 PM
timlap

Quote:
I read one on the web about a month ago .. It had both Allison and Dafoe linked together in the same article as Leaf possibilities .. Apparently Carolina and Toronto have shown the most interest in Allison but according to his agent 15 teams have been in contact with him ..

Byron Dafoe was almost recruited to play in the AHL last year and then they went with Aubin .. Dafoe said he needs to rest and heal and be in the best condition when the Leafs come calling again ..
Why do you suppose the Leafs would be intersted in Dafoe? He's not young and there are questions about his health.

And Allison sounds interesting, but why are the Leafs linked to every prominent injury-prone player on the market?

Old
06-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Why do you suppose the Leafs would be intersted in Dafoe? He's not young and there are questions about his health.

And Allison sounds interesting, but why are the Leafs linked to every prominent injury-prone player on the market?
Both answers are the same .. Injured players attempting to come back into the NHL are likely to take less and are CAP friendly in the new NHL .. If they return to form then you get great value for your investment, if they don't then Leafs write it off as nothing ventured nothing gained as per Leafs management ..

Here is a whole chat on that topic ..

http://www.tmlfans.ca/forums/index.php?topic=37168.0

18 MARCH 2005
ALLISON TALKING TO THE LEAFS?

THE ICE BLOCK: reports commentator Bill Watters told Leafs Lunch on 640 Mojo Radio that former LA Kings forward Jason Allison has supposedly held talks with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Allison is now an unrestricted free agent whose value has been limited due to his being sidelined for some time with a whiplash injury.

ALLISON READY TO RETURN TO ACTION.

BOSTON GLOBE: Kevin Paul Dupont reported this past Sunday that former Bruins and LA Kings center Jason Allison has made a complete recovery from the whiplash that sideline him since January 2003. Released by the Kings last summer, Allison claims to have spoken with some 15 clubs about signing to play the 2004-05 season prior to the lockout. Toronto and Carolina expressed the most interest.

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spectors_trade_rumours.html

Last edited by Mess: 06-04-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old
06-04-2005, 09:04 PM
timlap

Quote:
Both answers are the same .. Injured players attempting to come back into the NHL are likely to take less and are CAP friendly in the new NHL .. If they return to form then you get great value for your investment, if they don't then Leafs write it off as nothing ventured nothing gained as per Leafs management ..
. . .
Makes sense as long as you are not absolutely depending on said players. That makes me think JFJ is interested in a Belfour-Dafoe tandem, rather than Dafoe-Tellqvist. After all, he did sign Eddie to two years plus an option very recently.

Old
06-04-2005, 09:10 PM
timlap

Quote:
The story is interesting. I have heard the Allison rumour before. I scanned the discussion you linked me to. Mostly it confirmed for me that I am happier hanging out at HF.

Old
06-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Makes sense as long as you are not absolutely depending on said players. That makes me think JFJ is interested in a Belfour-Dafoe tandem, rather than Dafoe-Tellqvist. After all, he did sign Eddie to two years plus an option very recently.
I agree with you .. Fergy will attempt to keep Eddie, and perhaps behind only Mats is the most important Leaf Player ..

The new CBA will determine if despite Eddie's value, if Fergy can keep him .. The 24% rollback is a key, the fact that Injured players salaries count verses the cap is huge.

So should Eddies back give out as we all know his has a chronic problem then that $6 + mil (even with rollback) would cripple the Leafs season .. Based on the numbers being listed right now in talks with 37.5 the high then and injured Belfour would force the Leafs to ice a team at $30 mil TOTAL..

So tough decisions for Fergy ahead ..

Also Telly is signed for next year at a very Cap friendly 600K .. Fergy gave hiim a 2 year deal .. So I think Telly is in their plans .. Telly agreed to play in St.Johns last year rather to return to Sweden because of the NHL dream and 2 year deal in fact .. So Telly is one goalie IMO .. The other one is more questionable, despite the fact that Leaf Fans hope ride on Eddie's bad 40 year old back ..

Last edited by Mess: 06-04-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old
06-04-2005, 09:26 PM
timlap

Quote:
I agree with you .. Fergy will attempt to keep Eddie, and perhaps behind only Mats is the most important Leaf Player ..

The new CBA will determine if despite Eddie's value, if Fergy can keep him .. The 24% rollback is a key, the fact that Injured players salaries count verses the cap is huge.

So should Eddies back give out as we all know his has a chronic problem then that $6 + mil (even with rollback) would cripple the Leafs season .. Based on the numbers being listed right now in talks with 37.5 the high then and injured Belfour would force the Leafs to ice a team at $30 mil TOTAL..

So tough decisions for Fergy ahead ..

Also Telly is signed for next year at a very Cap friendly 600K .. Fergy gave hiim a 2 year deal .. So I think Telly is in their plans .. Telly agreed to play in St.Johns last year rather to return to Sweden because of the NHL dream and 2 year deal in fact .. So Telly is one goalie IMO .. The other one is more questionable, despite the fact that Leaf Fans hope ride on Eddie's bad 40 year old back ..
Where has it been written that injured players salaries will count against the cap? I can see that it makes some sense from a logistical pov, but you've obviously heard about this in your rigorous research. Do you think this is a sure thing?

I think your assessment of JFJ, Belfour, and Telly is spot on.

Old
06-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Rand

Quote:
Here is a whole chat on that topic ..

http://www.tmlfans.ca/forums/index.php?topic=37168.0
*blinks*
I think I'll be saitting here for the next hour trying to wrap my head around he concept there that some are calling Eklund a reliable resource.....

My toilet just told me Gretzky is coming out of retirement to play for Toronto after having magically regressed to 8yrs old.

Old
06-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
eddie will be fine for another year or two unless his back goes out again

i'll leave town if we get lord byron as our goalie....that would be a joke

Old
06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
*blinks*
I think I'll be saitting here for the next hour trying to wrap my head around he concept there that some are calling Eklund a reliable resource.....

My toilet just told me Gretzky is coming out of retirement to play for Toronto after having magically regressed to 8yrs old.
There were other non Eklund web reports and he was simply quoting them in his trade rumours section, it wasn't his own rumour. That link that I provided was just to show the rather LIVELY discussion on the topic, and the fact it was recently as well.

I'll see if I can find one for you ..

Old
06-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Mike1

It's really tough to say. People thought he was done when he was 38 & got a well deserved Vezina trophy nomination. You can't deny the guy works his ass off to be as sharp as he can but age always catchs up to athletes.

Last edited by Mike1: 06-04-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old
06-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Byron Dafoe????

Closed Thread