HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues extend Leopold for 2 years

Old
07-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Blues extend Leopold for 2 years

No terms yet.

Link

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:42 AM
BadgersandBlues

vCash: 500
Ya, seemed pretty imminent with Russell going on waivers.

The pieces are falling into place.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Sweet, lets see how he gains chemistry.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
HooliganX2

If it's over 2 million a season I am not happy.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
$2.25m per year. A little more than I'd have liked, but it's fine if he is paired with Polák.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
sdaltons

jr says $2.25 mil a year. not bad.

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:55 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
So then Russell gets claimed (or possibly not and the Blues offer him a 2-way contract to be the 8th defender).

Despite the villifying on various boards, I view Leopold as an upgrade (not a big one) on defense. Its on Cole's shoulders to beat him for ice time, which wouldn't be such a bad outcome if he earns it.

I think Blues fans are going to be surprised at how much better Leopold looks in October with a regular training camp with the team. I'm happy with this signing, the term and the price tag is reasonable.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:59 AM
fst6
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

Although I'm not one of the people whos down on him from last year, I do really hope he comes out playing better than he did in the playoffs.
He wasn't horrible, but I would have preferred Cole or Russel in his spot at some points.

fst6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
Yeah I'm with 2MM. Put him on the right pairing with Polak and he'll be fine and better than Russell or Pietrangelo.

I hope Russell gets claimed though. Dude deserves to be playing in the NHL, not stuck at Chicago in the AHL.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:05 AM
SirPaste
#HitchGonnaHitch

Leopold is better than Russell and the price is reasonable. He just needs to be paired with Polak and our D will be one of the best in the league.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:06 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
No surprise here, and I have no problem length or amount, very manageable.

I think we should allow for a training camp and a 82 game regular season and hopefully a playoff run to decide it's true value.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:08 AM
BBSuns

2.25 is a steal** considering hes 32 and was making 3MM AAV on his last contract. took a pay cut>could have gotten more on open market

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
HooliganX2

The contract is decent. Now it is on Hitchcock to actually use the players he is given properly.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSuns View Post
2.25 is a steal** considering hes 32 and was making 3MM AAV on his last contract. took a pay cut>could have gotten more on open market
While I'm not quite clear what he could have gotten on the open market, the fact is that he DID take a pay cut and chose to take the Blues offer (wanted to stay here) rather than test that market. I think its a fair contract, but he very likely could have gotten more if that was his priority.

I hope that gets recognized for what it is, and that Blues fans embrace this guy. He's here because he likes it here and wants to win.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Halak Ness Monster

I'd imagine we will roll the same pairings that shut down the Kings for 5 of the 6 games in the playoffs:

Pietrangelo-Bouwmeester
Polak-Jackman
Shattenkirk-Leopold

That is a damn good defense. You can re-arrange the 2nd and 3rd pairings but I'm pretty sure that is how they were set up in the playoffs and I had no complaints outside of Game 4. The defense made it a cake walk for Elliott.

I'm not surprised to see the front office showing little confidence in Ian Cole. I've always been a supporter but I had lost a good bit of hope going into last year. I was called out because of it but it's now quite clear the Blues don't trust Cole to be a starter at age 24.

I'm not writing Cole off, though. Hopefully he can learn enough as the #7 d-man the next two years and step in and replace Leopold or Jackman in two years. It'll be interesting to see if he gets much playing time, though. Our top 6 defensemen have been very good at staying on the ice the past few years(knock on all the wood).

All in all, we have a top 3 defense in the NHL and they are in place for two years...once Jay Bo is re-signed...which he will be.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:48 AM
STEVIE RAY BLUES

I'm good with the signing. It would have been a shame to give up draft picks and then let him walk. I don't think he's a game changer but he won't be asked to be one either.....Now go get a center via trade because there are no number 1 centers in free agency. Also, feel free to trade one of the kid line. Oshie, Perron, Bergland, at this point I don't care which....maybe hang on to Bergie because he's a center but they have all under achieved and I think they're all a little to comfortable. Just one guys opinion but a trade of one will wake up the other two.

STEVIE RAY BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Kasparov

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIE RAY BLUES View Post
I'm good with the signing. It would have been a shame to give up draft picks and then let him walk. I don't think he's a game changer but he won't be asked to be one either.....Now go get a center via trade because there are no number 1 centers in free agency. Also, feel free to trade one of the kid line. Oshie, Perron, Bergland, at this point I don't care which....maybe hang on to Bergie because he's a center but they have all under achieved and I think they're all a little to comfortable. Just one guys opinion but a trade of one will wake up the other two.
I would like to see perron go to a team out east. I feel like our defensive style of play really hurts his game and i think he could thrive in a run and gun eastern team. washington may? IDK...just throwing a name out there. I'd hate to get rid of him for anything less than an upgrade though. with some better linemates, that talent we see flashes of would absolutely be magnified.

Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:17 PM
BlueDream

Less than what I expected. Solid contract.

But we still have one expensive defense... It's good, but expensive.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:35 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIE RAY BLUES View Post
I for one agree with you. Trading one would probably wake up the other two. All 3 seem to get a little too teamless with the puck and their play from time to time.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:52 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Well, there is probably your only UFA the Blues sign this offseason.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote