HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecavalier

Old
06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
JR just said on his chat that he doesn't think the blues make a run for Vinny partly because he wouldn't want to come here.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:13 PM
mk80

vCash: 500
I would love to see us get Lecavalier for the right price... he is 33 and still has some good years left, plus his record with 12 20+ goal seasons until this year is a great fit for us. I would love to get him locked up on a 5 year deal for say 9 million. I think signing him would be a great catch for the Blues with us lacking a 1st round draft pick this year (especially since this is the best draft I have seen in a long time).

However I will be honest and say I expect him to go to elsewhere...

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:27 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhockeygoalie View Post
I would love to see us get Lecavalier for the right price... he is 33 and still has some good years left, plus his record with 12 20+ goal seasons until this year is a great fit for us. I would love to get him locked up on a 5 year deal for say 9 million. I think signing him would be a great catch for the Blues with us lacking a 1st round draft pick this year (especially since this is the best draft I have seen in a long time).

5 year for 9 million a season? That is insane. I would like to get him for 4.5 to 5.5 range.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
JR just said on his chat that he doesn't think the blues make a run for Vinny partly because he wouldn't want to come here.
I read that, but I wouldn't put much stock in it. I like JR, but we aren't going to be interested in Lecavalier because he is a fraction of the player he was? His point totals have fallen, but they are still over 65 per 82 games, he is only 33 and his all round game is better now than it was 3 years ago. He is getting bought out because the Lightning have cap problems now and his contract going to 2020 was likely to come back and bite them in the ass. And I suspect they are wanting to pick Barkov in the draft, which is a direct replacement.

There is a lot more to it than simply suggesting that he isn't that good anymore. Which, to be fair, does apply to most of the buyouts.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
He said he's open to 29 other teams. It will most likely be for a year so it will be a cup contender. STL, CHI, VAN, MTL, TOR are the teams I could see him going to for a year.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:29 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

When JR said that Vinny, Briere, and Richards lost their competitiveness, I chuckled a bit.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:17 PM
BBSuns

I asked rutherford if he thought the Blues would take a run at Lecavalier:

Q: You know this will be asked: Do you think the Blues pursue Lecavalier now? Could be servicable 1C for next 3 years.
by Bill Sunshine 2:07 PM

A: Perhaps explore but very doubtful they pursue him. Yes, I believe he would help, but he's going to have his pick of teams and I wouldn't expect the Blues to be on his list. Secondly, there's a reason these guys are being bought out. Even with Briere and potentially Richards, they're competitiveness isn't what it used to be. Teams will be paying a pretty good price for a fraction of what those players were used to be. Again, I'm not saying Lecavalier or Briere or Richards wouldn't help the Blues, but I'm answering your question that I don't think the team will heavily pursue those guys.

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:22 PM
bewbies

I think he'd be a fine fit but realistically we can't afford more than about 6m at the most to fill that 1/2 center spot. Paying that for 1 or 2 years would be alright but I suspect someone will offer him 6/36 or something like that, which we should never pay.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:30 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I also find it pretty amusing that JR keeps spinning the tires on the Briere bus, but then he goes on to say how it wouldn't make sense.

It's things like that from JR that you should only put stock into what he says when it pertains to Blues specific topics. He isn't the best for speculation and potential moves. He's really not that good, but he does do an adequate job.

Old
06-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhockeygoalie View Post

Yes. But his signing with The Habs might well free up Plecanec for The Blues to obtain.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
It's things like that from JR that you should only put stock into what he says when it pertains to Blues specific topics. He isn't the best for speculation and potential moves. He's really not that good, but he does do an adequate job.
While I like JR personally, every time I read any of his chats or articles I can only think to myself how much I miss Goold.
But at least both are better than O'Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Yes. But his signing with The Habs might well free up Plecanec for The Blues to obtain.
I would imagine the Habs would find someone else to release (DD most likely) giving them Lecav-Plex-Eller down the middle.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
He said he's open to 29 other teams. It will most likely be for a year so it will be a cup contender. STL, CHI, VAN, MTL, TOR are the teams I could see him going to for a year.
Cannot see how Chi can afford him. He would have to take a really, really, really large pay cut.
It could happen, but I seriously doubt it.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
While I like JR personally, every time I read any of his chats or articles I can only think to myself how much I miss Goold.
But at least both are better than O'Neil.
Yep, Goold was really good. JR just contradicts himself or says random things that don't make sense. He's good for relaying information, but you have to learn which information that comes from him and not Armstrong and Hitchcock to actually take seriously.

When he says Armstrong himself said he will want to wait until the free agent market fills up with all the buyouts before really deciding what to do, then why does he think we will or won't go after certain players.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:08 PM
SIU LAW

I would hope the Blues would make a play for him, but I think they will strike out.

The fact Vinny mentioned the Wings and the Habs today suggest the competition is over before it even starts. That was a pretty strong invitation to those teams on his part.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:54 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
And he would be my preference anyway. A younger player entering his prime....I think even though the name recognition and star power would be less, he'd actually improve the team's competitiveness more.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:02 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Montreal has been after Vinny for years now, so you would think that's where he will land, and like a couple others have said, the Blues could then go after getting Plecanec.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:14 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
And he would be my preference anyway. A younger player entering his prime....I think even though the name recognition and star power would be less, he'd actually improve the team's competitiveness more.

Plekanec is 30 years old, 31 at the start of next season, and has played 9 years in the League.
He isn't young and he isn't "entering his prime". He's not exactly old, but he doesn't have any untapped potential at this stage in his career.

Plekanec is what he is, and I'm not even remotely convinced that he's an upgrade on Backes. Outside of 2 good seasons, he's hovered in the 50 point range. Admittedly he plays good defense, but his point production just doesn't cut it for me. The Blues need a stand-out offensive leader, and nothing about Plekanec's career leads me to believe he is that guy.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
shifting

Big name free agents won't want to sign here until we win something, because we won't be throwing big $$$'s at them.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Plekanec is 30 years old, 31 at the start of next season, and has played 9 years in the League.
He isn't young and he isn't "entering his prime". He's not exactly old, but he doesn't have any untapped potential at this stage in his career.

Plekanec is what he is, and I'm not even remotely convinced that he's an upgrade on Backes. Outside of 2 good seasons, he's hovered in the 50 point range. Admittedly he plays good defense, but his point production just doesn't cut it for me. The Blues need a stand-out offensive leader, and nothing about Plekanec's career leads me to believe he is that guy.
"younger" than Vinny. Perhaps I should have said "in his prime" but my point was that he's not in decline like the recently bought-out Vinny.

I don't consider Pleks an upgrade on Backes either, but he is a significant upgrade on Berglund...which would improve the Blues as a team. I'd prefer him to a clearly declining Lecavalier, particularly given that the Blues would probably have to pay Vinny more money than Pleks (especially if its an UFA signing vs a trade acquisition, but even head to head I bet Vinny demands more).

Sure, a 1C upgrade on Backes is great to wish for, but the number of players who could provide that is pretty small, and the number of those guys who are realistically available is zero in my opinion. At any rate, I need to be convinced that's truly a potential avenue for Armstrong. So, the next best plan is to get someone to bump Berglund down to 3C or to wing (if that's a real thing).

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Not true. Lecavalier has stated hes looking for a contract that can bring him to retirement. Hes a family man and wants to stay in one place.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSuns View Post
Not true. Lecavalier has stated hes looking for a contract that can bring him to retirement. Hes a family man and wants to stay in one place.
Which will be why it'll be very interesting to see what he considers a retirement contract. If it is 6 or 7 years, the cap hit he is looking for will be interesting.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:22 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't consider Pleks an upgrade on Backes either, but he is a significant upgrade on Berglund...which would improve the Blues as a team.
At the same age as Berglund is right now, Plekanec had just come off his second season in the league, scoring 20 goals and 47 points. Plekanec has since become quite a good player who would help the Blues, and I know you didn't advocate trading Berglund in your post; however, I just want to point this out for people who are convinced that Berglund is a known quantity who has hit his ceiling.

I could understand an argument that Plekanec improved for three straight years, while Berglund had ups and downs - effectively, years in the league is a more telling factor than age. I'm not sure that's enough to convince me, but I get it.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post

Who said he is an upgrade on Backes? He would give The Blues a 3rd centre, IF they can't land a better one as a free agent, or in trade. I just meant that Lacavalier's buy out (and those other buyouts) more or less ensure that The Blues won't have to stand pat (that they WILL pick up a centre, and be able to move Steen back to wing).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:28 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Eklund, baby!

Quote:
On Lecavalier....

Word is his price is around 5M for 1 year...So far I am hearing Dallas, Philly, Vancouver, NYR, and a lot about the Blues in the last hour or so.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:08 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Which will be why it'll be very interesting to see what he considers a retirement contract. If it is 6 or 7 years, the cap hit he is looking for will be interesting.
He's 33 so I'd assume hed want a contract until hes 37/38, which would be 4/5 years. Blues writer for kmov thought hed get 3-4 mill AAV per season which I find low since 15 teams have already expressed interest in him. Id say he gets anywhere from 4.5-5.5 mill AAV