HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Radio station for Isles could change

Old
06-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Radio station for Isles could change

Since I work nights and listen to a good percentage of games this could be some great news. There really wasn't anything wrong with Hofstra radio I mean it was better than using the TV broadcast sound but it was still pretty bush league to use college kids aside Chris King to call the games. Some info from Point Blank:

Quote:
When the Islanders move to Barclays, there appear to be plans to change up the radio station. Recently on Twitter, Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark responded to a question about whether he would try to get the Islanders on a “major” radio situation with a simple “yes.”

With the Barclays taking over the Islanders business operations, we might see this happen sooner rather than later. A source with knowledge of the situation said that a change to the Islanders radio deal is imminent and could happen as early as next season.
I'd think the Rangers are pretty dug in with 1050 ESPN radio in a long term contract so maybe with the Nets being aired on WFAN there's a shot they could replace the Devils there. I had messaged a couple months ago Neil Best of Newsday who handles their sports media news about when the Devils contract was up with WFAN and he couldn't find any details on it. So who knows but still would be pretty cool to get the Islanders a legitimate radio platform.

http://islanderspointblank.com/exclu...nge-next-year/

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:25 PM
cheesemonkey619

vCash: 500
I hope they keep Chris King on commentary.

cheesemonkey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Strummergas

Considering they were on a college radio station with a horrible broadcast radius, is this at all surprising? A move to a proper station alone should see the numbers of people tuning in increase.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:52 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
WFAN should be great. I would think they would like Isles along with the Nets. They would probably dump the Devils.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:14 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Not sure if mentioned...Any chance we go to YES as well? Or does the Cablevision contract go longer then 2015?

06-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Not sure if mentioned...Any chance we go to YES as well? Or does the Cablevision contract go longer then 2015?
Fairly certain the Cablevision contract is very long.

Old
06-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
WFAN should be great. I would think they would like Isles along with the Nets. They would probably dump the Devils.
Devils should be dumped entirely.

In other thoughts -- I wonder if anyone from the Isles is working with the LIRR to see what types of accomodations will be made:

1. for Isles season ticket holders. A "seasonal" pass?
2. added trains to and from Atlantic terminal on game days
3. Isles fan packages where train tix can be included in the price of the ticket.
4. Bar cars on the way to the game!

I would hope so.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:26 PM
periferal

Well would you look at that...

The Islanders marketing is put in the hands of someone competent and one of the first things they do is work on getting the Islanders off a COLLEGE radio station.

Imagine what else could happen if wang wasn't in control of anything with this team?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:29 PM
nyscene

Keep in mind the Isles would most likely have to pay WFAN to be broadcast on the station. The Nets and Devils both currently pay to do so.

Will Wang be okay with that?

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:47 PM
19 in a row

The more fans they can reach the better. I have often wondered how much it has hurt the fan base in recent years(in addtion to all the other issues all too familiar to everyone here) that you have to look hard for the Islanders to find them , whether it be on the radio, the moving target that is MSG 3(channel 14, 77,99, etc), or the lack of coverage in newspapers/tv... it has not been easy for casual fans to stumble upon this team.. so whether it be WFAN, ESPN radio or some other local station powerful enough to reach a larger part of the tri state area, a new readio station would definitely be a move in the right direction which can help grow the base a bit and make it easier for those of us who know what it is like to lose the signal 15-20 miles from the coliseum... Given the way the season ended this was actually the change I was hoping would come first.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Degeneration Rex

I do not even remember the last time I listened to the Islanders radio. I think it was when they were still on ESPN radio.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:54 PM
IwayMike

The Hofstra broadcasts have gotten better over the years. Even in year one, they were better than the Devils. I use to drive a great deal in the Pa area and when driving back to NY would listen to the NJD broadcasts. Boy did they suck. Was glad that they went to Hofstra so I could use their app to listen over the smartphone.

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Brooklyn Americans

Would make all the sense in the world to get on WFAN if possible.

Brooklyn Americans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Isles Junkie

it really needs to happen. if youre like more than 20 miles out, you simply can't get the game. i get that no one listens on the radio anyway, but it's been a horrible situation the last several years.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Americans View Post
Would make all the sense in the world to get on WFAN if possible.
aren't the devils on WFAN?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
The Hofstra broadcasts have gotten better over the years. Even in year one, they were better than the Devils. I use to drive a great deal in the Pa area and when driving back to NY would listen to the NJD broadcasts. Boy did they suck. Was glad that they went to Hofstra so I could use their app to listen over the smartphone.
The Hofstra broadcasts weren't bad but they weren't exactly great.. What I really hope comes from this is we finally get a pre/post game show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
aren't the devils on WFAN?
Yes they are. If it is something with wfan and the islanders don't replace the Devils I'm thinking they'll put them on an affiliated station when they conflict with devils/nets. They could also put the islanders on CBS 880am like the Yankees are because Wfan and CBS are part of the same company.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:28 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
...And Dr. Nick from The Simpsons is improving as a surgeon.

Why can't wang do anything first-class? Being on radio is another marketing tool. Therefore the goal is to reach as many people as possible. The goal here is to get on radio that reaches the most people - Not just basically those in Nassau.

And if getting on ESPN radio needs to be paid for...Then you pay for it. Unfortunately given that we're dealing with wang it's not a surprise why the Isles wound up on Hofstra radio.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I remember I used to deliver pizza for extra cash while in college and listened to islander games on 1050. I would love for them to be respectful again on the radio

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:53 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

I'd miss not having to listen to terrible radio commercials.

Honestly, radio is not worth having to pay to be on. The biggest audience in the NHL, the Blackhawks, gets only 129,800 listeners a game. How much is it worth to reach that kind of audience?

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
LetsGoIslanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Devils should be dumped entirely.

In other thoughts -- I wonder if anyone from the Isles is working with the LIRR to see what types of accomodations will be made:

1. for Isles season ticket holders. A "seasonal" pass?
2. added trains to and from Atlantic terminal on game days
3. Isles fan packages where train tix can be included in the price of the ticket.
4. Bar cars on the way to the game!

I would hope so.
No, doubtful, no, and no. Not that they're bad ideas, but we're talking about the MTA here. If they don't do it for the Mets and Yankees, they aren't doing it for the Islanders.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:42 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
No, doubtful, no, and no. Not that they're bad ideas, but we're talking about the MTA here. If they don't do it for the Mets and Yankees, they aren't doing it for the Islanders.
What is it that the MTA doesn't do for the Mets and Yankees?

For years the Transit Authority has added extra #7 trains for service after Mets games towards Manhattan. There are extra 4 and D trains after Yankees games towards Manhattan. Metro North adds trains for Yankees games as well.

MJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:13 PM
will5059

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
What is it that the MTA doesn't do for the Mets and Yankees?

For years the Transit Authority has added extra #7 trains for service after Mets games towards Manhattan. There are extra 4 and D trains after Yankees games towards Manhattan. Metro North adds trains for Yankees games as well.
Pretty sure there's a train from New Haven to Yankee stadium literally called "the Yankee express".

will5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Bunk Moreland

They do indeed add trains for Mets and Yankees games and I believe they've said a couple of times that they're going to work with the mta to make access to the games as easy as possible including adding trains.

Old
06-29-2013, 10:54 PM
olenumber18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
Keep in mind the Isles would most likely have to pay WFAN to be broadcast on the station. The Nets and Devils both currently pay to do so.

Will Wang be okay with that?
That is the exact reason they ended up with Hofstra radio. Isles leased their time on the radio stations they were with before Hofstra and couldn't sell enough advertising to make $, so they went with Hofstra to save money. Not to mention what they did spend with Hofstra... I'm pretty sure... was considered a community & education donation.

With the hype of the move to Brooklyn it seems pretty logical that they'll need a professional station with a signal that reaches beyond the Coliseum parking lot. Plus as a result of the hype they might actually be able to sell some advertising too.

olenumber18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:27 AM
lost35*

wow I have been out of the NY area for a few years and you are telling me the Devils and the Nets are on WFAN and the Rangers are on 1050? damn times have changed

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote