Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks sign Ben Lovejoy to 3 year deal

Old
06-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Old Man Barking

vCash: 500
I love it as long as he's on the bottom pairing.

What happens with our D now though?

Beauchemin
Fowler
Sbisa
Allen
Souray
Lovejoy
Vatanen
Lindholm
Clark/Other camp surprise?

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:29 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
My limit for Lovejoy was 1 million. I guess that's not that much more that I would complain.

So ok, fine.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Daz28

This is a good deal for the Ducks. He was reliable, and at times, outright good. The term allows us to keep him as long as he continues to play as expected, and allows us to bury him for a lousy .2M cap hit if he disappoints. Good job, Bob.

Daz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
I think Lydman would have been gone either way. Murray has already said there's gonna be changes, and letting a veteran defenseman with no contract go is an easy change to make.

As for the contract, it's ok. Lovejoy's fairly young and if he struggles, moving him shouldn't be impossible. Wouldn't surprise me if Allen is moved. I don't mind him, but the Ducks can't afford to pay a #5 guy that kind of money. I could see him rebounding into a #4 stay at home guy though, he's not that old. I'd prefer trading Souray over Allen, but I don't how likely that is... Unless Murray throws him in a package with Ryan.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:11 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
At least I'm the only one who thought he was better than an above average #6 guy.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
At least I'm the only one who thought he was better than an above average #6 guy.
I assume you mean you are NOT the only one, right?!

Old
06-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Water Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Either Allen or Sbisa is getting traded methinks. Please be Sbisa.
Why Sbisa? I mean ya he had an off year, but he still has potential and has played well in the past. I'd rather trade Allen.

Water Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Knight View Post
Why Sbisa? I mean ya he had an off year, but he still has potential and has played well in the past. I'd rather trade Allen.
I agree. A lot of people seem so quick to give up on Sbisa.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:26 PM
OCSportsfan

This is an under the radar deal that really is quite good.

1) Sign a quality bottom pairing D for $1.1 per year. Right handed and can move the puck, decent size and is not soft.
2) He improved his game in BB system, and I think his play in the playoffs will carry into next season.
3) Signed for 3 years - That is important because we only have Fowler and Sbisa signed for the third year. This will put less pressure on BM when that time comes.
4) Only 29, and has been on the positive side of +/- his whole career.

As value goes, it is pretty high.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:09 PM
rollingdux

I like it. He's a very good 5/6 guy. Can skate and move the puck well so I'm happy.

Now gotta think one of Allen/Souray/Sbisa is going to be on the move.

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Knight View Post
Personally, I'm not keen on trading Sbisa, but the Ducks also can't wait forever for him to figure it out, either. Anaheim needs to improve the blue line, and right now Sbisa is just a 3rd pairing guy. He can't go to the AHL, and the Ducks have a bit of a logjam back there, yet the blue line still isn't good enough. The bottom line is that something needs to change.

06-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

I'm OK with this, although I wish it was a year shorter because I think he'll regress somewhat. If he's on the 3rd, it's fine.

Gibson Les Palms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:43 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

I like this deal. He put up some okay offensive numbers this season and I think he was solid defensively as well. Could be a bargain cap wise as a 3rd pairing guy.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:50 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Love this deal. Three years is perfect. The guy is only 29, we should want him to stick around. A lot of people freaked out at Lydman's three-year deal and that went by in a blip. I feel like he's a more consistent, but less physical version of Brookbank. I want to see him continue to partner with Fowler. They worked well together.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Love this deal. Three years is perfect. The guy is only 29, we should want him to stick around. A lot of people freaked out at Lydman's three-year deal and that went by in a blip. I feel like he's a more consistent, but less physical version of Brookbank. I want to see him continue to partner with Fowler. They worked well together.
That's exactly what I'm afraid will happen, and I'd hate to see that.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

If Lovejoy can keep playing like he did at the end of last season, I'm more than happy with this deal. If he reverts back to the player he was in Pittsburgh, I'd imagine in the system Boudreau has put up here he'll still be a decent #6-7. I think that there isn't any real downside in this, so I'm OK with this.

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:20 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
I feel like he's a more consistent, but less physical version of Brookbank.
Less physical for sure, but his skating and puck moving ability is light years above Brookbank's.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:53 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
hopefully we find a REAL partner for fowler. As good as lovejoy was last year for us, I do believe he's a 5/6 and should play the # minutes a 5/6 shoudl play. BM better still be trying to find a partner for fowler. unless its beauch, then we need to figure out a partner for 1 of souray/allen.

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
hopefully we find a REAL partner for fowler. As good as lovejoy was last year for us, I do believe he's a 5/6 and should play the # minutes a 5/6 shoudl play. BM better still be trying to find a partner for fowler. unless its beauch, then we need to figure out a partner for 1 of souray/allen.
I've never liked Beauch with Cam. In three years it just hasn't worked. Beauch and Souray were great together until Frankie banged up his knee and Boudreau split them up.

If you acknowledge that Lovejoy was good for us why won't that continue? I don't think it was any coincidence that he was great at Detroit with Cam as his partner. I'd like to see that continue.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:12 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
If you acknowledge that Lovejoy was good for us why won't that continue? I don't think it was any coincidence that he was great at Detroit with Cam as his partner. I'd like to see that continue.
History would suggest it's unlikely a 29 year old dman suddenly goes from a #6/#7 to a top 4 dman over the course of a shortened season.

Sure it's possible, but if I'm BM I'm looking for another top 4 dman to add to the current group rather then banking on Lovejoy being that guy.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I've never liked Beauch with Cam. In three years it just hasn't worked. Beauch and Souray were great together until Frankie banged up his knee and Boudreau split them up.

I'm pretty much just repeating what mightyquack is saying, but Lovejoy has been a career fringe NHL'er for a number of years now. He's 29 years old. The statistical probability of him going from a borderline bottom pairing guy to a top 4+ role is pretty damn slim. How many games did he play with Fowler total? Maybe 10 or 11? Maybe a couple more. It's far, far more likely that he just had a good stretch at just the right time.

Let's say we go into the next season with Lovejoy penciled in to our top 4. What happens if/when he returns to his career norm? We suddenly have a gaping hole in our top 4, and now our most talented defenseman is with a questionable D partner. Again. That's the type of decision that can knock a playoff team out of the playoffs.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:09 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'm pretty much just repeating what mightyquack is saying, but Lovejoy has been a career fringe NHL'er for a number of years now. He's 29 years old. The statistical probability of him going from a borderline bottom pairing guy to a top 4+ role is pretty damn slim. How many games did he play with Fowler total? Maybe 10 or 11? Maybe a couple more. It's far, far more likely that he just had a good stretch at just the right time.

Let's say we go into the next season with Lovejoy penciled in to our top 4. What happens if/when he returns to his career norm? We suddenly have a gaping hole in our top 4, and now our most talented defenseman is with a questionable D partner. Again. That's the type of decision that can knock a playoff team out of the playoffs.
Then he is our spare d-man which is fine too. No one is losing their spot because Lovejoy got re-signed that's for sure. I see nothing but positives with him. Either he continues to play well and is a good fit on a regular basis or he's scratched once in a while and fills in when needed. Maybe I'm a little optimistic about his potential playing with Fowler but that's no big deal if that's not the case. He's as good a 6/7 as we're going to get.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Unagi

Like the deal if he continues to play like he did.

Not sure why people have issues with that deal. Remember we signed Allen and Souray for 2 years. Those deals looked way worse back when they signed them and even worse now 1 year later.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
Like the deal if he continues to play like he did.

Not sure why people have issues with that deal. Remember we signed Allen and Souray for 2 years. Those deals looked way worse back when they signed them and even worse now 1 year later.
We signed Souray and Allen for 3 years.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
We signed Souray and Allen for 3 years.
Don't remind us!!