HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you were the Leafs GM would you trade Jake Gardiner?

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
It depends on the return

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:25 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
We're only trading Gardiner for someone like Couts, ROR or 7 OA. Not players like Stastny or Gagner..
one thing i love about nonis ......hed trade kessel if the leafs get a good offer ,,,thats the difference with him and burke ,

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
No player should ever be untouchable.

That said, I recognize Jake Gardiner's potential and will suggest that if he becomes the player he can be, he might be the best player in the entire organization. It is on this basis that I would do my best to avoid dealing him in any trade.
This is exactly it.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
One of the most overrated players we have. I'd move him if the return was good.
I was beginning to think the same thing, until playoffs where he made skating the puck out of the defensive end look like a piece of cake. Meanwhile the rest of our defense, made it look like an impossible feat at times.

People say caryle didn't like him, yet at the end of the series, he said that gardiner is an elite puck moving defenseman.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SportsballChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Gardiner is listed at 6'2, lidstrom 6'1.

Pronged is 6'6... Gardiner is much closer in size to lidstrom.

Are you thinking of franson? He's listed at 6'5, but he definitely isn't a swift skater.
Wow, I'm surprised he's only 6'2"; are Boston forwards a bunch of midgets? It was definitely #51 tho and that's Gardiner.

I'd have guessed 6'4", no lie. Sorry for that. I think the question is still fair though; why does your coach hate him so much? I really thought he looked like an amazing player. Was he awful the whole year and just had a few good games against Boston or something?

SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BIitz
GRANT = SOFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
No player should ever be untouchable.

That said, I recognize Jake Gardiner's potential and will suggest that if he becomes the player he can be, he might be the best player in the entire organization. It is on this basis that I would do my best to avoid dealing him in any trade.
I don't even think he has higher potential than Rielly, let alone a certain forward we have that has been a PPG player for 2 years in a row.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Paradoc
Matthews 4 Calder

vCash: 80
Quote:
I was beginning to think the same thing, until playoffs where he made skating the puck out of the defensive end look like a piece of cake. Meanwhile the rest of our defense, made it look like an impossible feat at times.

People say caryle didn't like him, yet at the end of the series, he said that gardiner is an elite puck moving defenseman.
I thought of the same as well. The playoff series really made him evolve into something special.

Paradoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:30 PM
BIitz
GRANT = SOFT

Quote:

Hey different people step it up at different times. Are we going to write off Kadri for not showing up in the playoffs? No, because it is a small sample size. If Gardiner shows me that play over a extended period of time, I'll buy into the hype.

Old
06-27-2013, 04:33 PM
ConnorTO

holy **** the Leafs have a young great player / prospect

LETS TRADE EM DURRRPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111 1111

ConnorTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:33 PM
TheKule

No.

Jake was absolutely dominant in the playoffs, one of the if not the best player on the ice night in and night out.

He was good in his first season

He was average in the shortened season thanks to the concussion.

TheKule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Parkdale

No one is untradable, but Gardiner is the closest one on the active roster.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:37 PM
desperateblue

No
I would never trade gardiner.
He is just about to make the fulltime jump after the leafs waited this long for him to develop.
His upside is way to much to give up on now.
In my opinion its too much risk that we trade him and where ever he lands he turns into a faster leetch clone. He isnt going to bring us back letang or rnh or any other 1c straight up so why trade a guy who can be a 1d ?
He might not have the upside as reilly but think about it just how scary it would be to have both in their prime.

I say we just sign a ufa center and hold onto our assets.
Trade phaneuf instead he makes 6mil more per season btw

desperateblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:39 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Gotta be getting a really damn good player in return to give up Jake.

It's too bad Randy benched him this year - really drove down his value. Gardiner should have been one of the best young dmen in the league this year, just like he was in the playoffs.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:43 PM
cupcrazyman
Chex Lemeneux

i would trade him for a Stanley Cup

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
It depends on the return
This is the only correct answer.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Twist and Shout

Should take a sizeable return.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Northernguy10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
On behalf of the Red Wings I'd like to offer you a 5th round pick, some Little Ceasar's pizza coupons and Kyle Quincey? Deal?

Serious question; I live in Toronto but I'm from Detroit so I don't follow the Leafs (or didn't until now, as we'll be in the same division as you guys) but WHAT is the problem with Gardiner?

I really only saw the tail end of the series vs the Bruins but he looked incredible to me, the guy is huge, smooth/great skater, his passing seemed fine. I mean I would literally kill someone to get a guy like that onto our roster. Why does your coach hate him?

Seriously not trolling, I live here, I want to get interested in the Leafs (although I'm not giving up my "home town" team) but it seems frustrating when they do things like trade for a goalie (I thought the goalie was fine? Many ppl said he's WHY you made the playoffs) or refuse to play a guy who looks like Chris Pronger but skates like Nick Lidstrom.
Welcome to Toronto "fandom" where we sometimes don't realize we have a talented player til he is traded and does well elsewhere.Some fans think we are close to contending now and are willing to give up picks and prospects while others realize we have a ways to go, we have started the rebuild and we are still 2-3 years away "if" we stay the course, draft and develop, make smart trades when the time is right and manage the cap properly. I'd like to be a perennial contender. We are getting there but we aren't there yet. Yes, some of us don't understand the Bernier trade and would rather see us use assets (if we have to) to address areas of need.Welcome aboard.Take your sea sickness meds...it isn't smooth sailing...lol

Northernguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by noBSleafsFAN View Post
Only for a substantial piece, like Letang or a real 1C
This.

You trade someone with potential for an established star like Letang for example and you win imo. Jake is still living off a lot of hype he's got boat loads of potential but weather or not he's able to put that all together is another story.

You hate to lose a kid like this but if your getting a guy who could be a core piece of your team for the next 7-8 years like a Letang could then you do it, unless they want Jake and Morgan, ++.. I would keep away from this kind of deal.

But if Jake is the center piece then yea take it and run imo.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Northernguy10

Quote:
One of the most overrated players we have. I'd move him if the return was good.
I'd say underrated.

Northernguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:12 PM
someonestolemyname

No way I love Gardiner. Hes so calm and skates great! Just give him some time. Why are leafs fans so impatient. He needs a full season.

someonestolemyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

only for a true #1 C

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Clark4Ever

Yes, for a young stud number one centre with just as much upside.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:19 PM
wulfio*

I don't understand why you people always think the coach/GM hates a certain player when they get benched or sent down. None of you have played hockey before have you? Did you not watch the playoffs? Carlyle doesn't hate Gardiner lol. You're like little girls. This new generation with their touchy feely coaches.

Leafs Nation = Statler & Waldorf

To respond to OP. If his game has elevated to the level it was during the playoffs, this guy has a skill set as a D-man that only Karlsson possesses in this league; that being controlling the game by having the puck on his stick.

And if he's just a 3-4 dman, but in the playoffs he's a hero, is that really a bad thing?

Keep him.

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:20 PM
BIitz
GRANT = SOFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernguy10 View Post
I'd say underrated.
I've seen people say he'll be better than Letang in the future. I don't think he's underrated by any stretch of the imagination.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Ten

Quote:
I don't even think he has higher potential than Rielly, let alone a certain forward we have that has been a PPG player for 2 years in a row.
This isn't exactly the place to argue which of Kadri/Gardiner/Rielly WILL be the better player, all I am saying is that I really do think that one has to recognize that Gardiner could evolve into a player that our team is built around in 5-8 years.

The question posed is If you were the Leafs GM would you trade Jake Gardiner, and I do not believe the answer is "Yes" because "I don't even think he has higher potential than Rielly, let alone a certain forward we have that has been a PPG player for 2 years in a row."

The fact is all of those players project to be future stars is their development works out as hoped, and Jake Gardiner has shown us some incredible glimpses over the past 2 seasons that suggest he may become that player.

Whatever the cost for a guy like Letang, if the Leafs can afford to give up a player like Gardiner or Rielly, they can find a way to make a deal work without them.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote