Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich to COL for David Jones and Shane O'Brien

Old
06-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
If he continues producing at 50-60 points, sure - for the next three years. Isn't it inevitable that his production declines?
Not really. Tanguay isn't a player who relied on strength or speed to succeed. His game was mostly mental, and that's something that doesn't decline dramatically with age.

Jones on the other hand, has regressed severely in the last couple of seasons. His game was physical and gritty; not anymore however.

And it's pretty easy to say buyout, buyout, buyout even though there's nothing to concretely suggest the Flames would ever go down that route. They traded away a 2nd round pick just to get rid of Kotalik. Another 2nd to get rid of Primeau. Realistically speaking, if Jones's contract ever becomes a problem, it's much more likely the Flames attach another asset to him in order to make a trade viable rather than simply giving him money to go away.

Quote:
Flames got rid of two players (who didn't want to be here) in what is basically a lateral move - although SOB will actually be able to play as a #6 defenseman, while Sarich is not.
O'Brien's a #7 with the Avs but he's going to be regular everyday defensemen on the Flames?

Looks like the Flames really do want next years first overall pick.

Quote:
It's not good or bad asset management. What will hopefully come as a result is a fundamental change in the culture of the men sitting in the locker room.
No, it's bad asset management plain and simple.

And while everyone has quickly jumped on the Tanguay/Sarich hate-bandwagon, both Jones and O'Brien were similarly if not more so despised in Colorado. It's incredible how everyone ignores the Giguere-Los Vegas vacation-O'Brien issue form earlier in the season. O'Brien and Jones were both big reasons for the Avalanche finishing 2nd last in the league, and being an almost perennial bottom feeder in the last little while. Both Tanguay and Sarich at least had cup rings.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:12 AM
SgtToody

vCash: 500
I like Jones a lot, and as a Canuck fan I hoped he would be a buyout candidate. If he can get over his shoulder/knee issues which dogged him the past few years, you'll enjoy his hard scrabble power forward approach. In jr A he was a captain and real positive kid, I think he went on to wear an A at Dartmouth, and netted 27 goals in his first full season in Colorado. Sure, $4m is a lot but just be grateful your lame GM hasn't put you at the max and tied you to a year-plus goalie soap opera that will leave a big stink your Flames will have to wave at as you pass us in the standings (in 2015 or so)...

SgtToody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:36 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
flames just went all in on the tank for next season lol
all in on a Tank because they made room for someone else on LW? We still have Cammalleri, Baertschi, Glencross, Hudler and Horak that are most comfortable on the LW. Removing Tangua and plugging in Jones is hardly a sign they are embracing a tank

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
I think a lot of people aren't getting the difference between not wanting Tanguay and him not wanting to be here.
I just don't think his heart was here after Flames went to tank city. I don't really want to imagine him playing here for all 82 games next season; it just seems like it'd be uphill and most fans would go crazy watching him.

Is each team under cutting each of their players? Of course.
Every team wants to show how strong their GM is by selling their own players short, and playing up what they're receiving.

I really wanted a young Dman for Tangs; but getting a RW that is a season removed from putting up some nice numbers, is fine by me.
I hope that this trade lights a fire under Jones' ass and gets him going hard again. In addition, I hope that SOB gets his **** together. Too many teams, in not enough years; time to realize you're not doing something right.

Also, I'm happy with SOB for Sarich straight up; I didn't think he was worth a 7th rounder, and instead we got the stay at home, greasy, physical Dman Feaster's wanted for the past little bit.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:45 AM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
all in on a Tank because they made room for someone else on LW? We still have Cammalleri, Baertschi, Glencross, Hudler and Horak that are most comfortable on the LW. Removing Tangua and plugging in Jones is hardly a sign they are embracing a tank
This thread has no room for being logical!!!

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 494
I dont mind the trade, the Flames downgraded skill slightly to add a lot more toughness which was needed. Also frees up the logjam on left wing and adds a right winger into the mix. What I dont like is that we didnt get a draft pick for Tanguay. Would have prefer ed a 2nd round pick.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
As an Avs fan I've gotta say you guys got hosed. We gave up two of the guys who put us in 2nd worst and earned us the 1st draft pick. Stop saying your happy to be rid of Tanguay. As soon as you see O'Brien on the ice and out of position you'll start cursing him like all us Avs fan do. And don't be surprised when he gives up on you in March and starts planning vacations. Vegas is his second city. And David Jones put up less points than Ryan O'Reilly and O'Reilly missed the first 20 games.
-we need multiple first overall picks

-I will not stop saying I am happy to be rid of Tanguay

-O'Brien will look just fine in the pressbox or the AHL

-Lately the core of the Flames give up in October. A guy who doesn't check out until March would be an improvement

-David Jones is not and never should be expected to outpoint Ryan O'Reilly

I never thought I would say this but NICE MOVE FEASTER. Nice to see that he can make a trade without throwing in a second for no apparent reason. Doesn't make the Flames any better, maybe just a little bit better to watch. Now we just need to get the Oilers Jones. The third line for the 2013/14 Flames

Jones..................Jones...................... .Jones

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:04 AM
billybobjoe2112

vCash: 73
O'Brien checked out at the beginning of March but the season was only 1 month old.

billybobjoe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Guido Sarducci

Also I think it is hilarious that Tanguay asked for a trade because he was sick of being on a team that sucks. Feel sorry for Sarich though, he deserved better.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Its the timing of the deal that's outrageous. How can you leverage a player to teams right before the day when the market opens up to FREE talent for all?

Feaster has no skill or basic understanding of sales.
That is a valid point. Say on 1st he goes and signs Stalberg for free, Tangs could of been used to get a better dman than SOB. I don't care about losing Sarich, he wasn't even gonna play next year more than 30 games.

Feaster quite simply isn't a good trader, period. However I still don't hate this deal because it addresses a need. That contract could bite us in the ass if he doesn't rebound, but I am still optimistic about it.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 06-28-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:29 AM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
Your Welcome.
*You're

Why don't you go back to the Avs/main board?

I don't like the trade, but I don't hate the trade.

Positives:
- Add size / physicality
- Get younger
- RW
- Remove a long-term(ish) contract that doesn't want to be here

Negatives:
- Downgrade skill
- No picks
- 500k (not really negative with all the cap we have).

All in all, it's a wash for me,

Last edited by F l a m e s: 06-28-2013 at 02:19 AM.
F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:33 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Hmm...I never knew that playing 19 minutes a night was equivalent to a third liner?
Do third line players get over 3:00 minutes a night on the PP as well?

He was third amongst forwards in TOI/G, and trailed Langkow by a measly four seconds a night... He pouted because he did not play consistently with Jarome.

For the first time in his career he could not leach off a HOF talent (Iginla, Sakic), and as a result he pouted and requested a trade.
Seriously, he's 33 years old. He doesn't want to play rest of his career for rebuilding team, is that so hard to believe? They are human beings after all.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post

Much better shape since he took over. I'm pretty sure these guys aren't complete idiots.

?
Much better shape, really?

If you are talking about in position to go for the #1 pick, then yes

Btw, his objective was to make the playoff. He failed miserably at that.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Gary83*

Hope Tanguay bombs, also better hope he's in the top six or he'll request a trade.

Would have been happy with a seventh for Tanguay.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-28-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: If you see trolling, please report it.
Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:34 AM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Seriously, he's 33 years old. He doesn't want to play rest of his career for rebuilding team, is that so hard to believe? They are human beings after all.
That was in direct reference to his trade request back in 07', but I suppose you could make that same claim this time around as well.

His history speaks for itself. This is now third time he has publicly expressed a disinterest in playing for his organization, and the second time for this franchise alone. So pardon me if I don't view him in the brightest of ways. He might not even be an NHL player at this point had Calgary not given him the opportunity that they did to rejuvenate his career alongside Jarome Iginla. Team's weren't exactly lining up to offer him a contract after the total lack of professionalism he exhibited in Tampa Bay.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Alex.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post

Hope Tanguay bombs, also better hope he's in the top six or he'll request a trade.

Would have been happy with a seventh for Tanguay.

It's not about Tanguay. ....It's about how the Flames deal with it.

And in this case it's badly....Jones and SOB are bad assets...One is overpaid, the other has bad attitude. Nobody would want them if you want to move them later. And they add nothing to the Flames except if you want to set up the drive for #1 of course.

If they are going for #1, Feaster is not the guy so either way he should be fired....sooner better.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Nightrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
It's not about Tanguay. ....It's about how the Flames deal with it.

And in this case it's badly....Jones and SOB are bad assets...One is overpaid, the other has bad attitude. Nobody would want them if you want to move them later. And they add nothing to the Flames except if you want to set up the drive for #1 of course.

If they are going for #1, Feaster is not the guy so either way he should be fired....sooner better.
OK im new but im going to be the feaster defender. He's been dealt a really bad hand with no chips but at least hes willing to muck it up. Tanguay and especially sarich have no value to Calgary moving forwand so I don't mind taking a risk here.

Nightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
That was in direct reference to his trade request back in 07', but I suppose you could make that same claim this time around as well.

His history speaks for itself. This is now third time he has publicly expressed a disinterest in playing for his organization, and the second time for this franchise alone. So pardon me if I don't view him in the brightest of ways. He might not even be an NHL player at this point had Calgary not given him the opportunity that they did to rejuvenate his career alongside Jarome Iginla. Team's weren't exactly lining up to offer him a contract after the total lack of professionalism he exhibited in Tampa Bay.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Alex.
Yup.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:03 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Think of David Jones as the poor mans Michael Ryder.

He has got a decent shot. Could be a regular 20 goals scorer. But he doesn't contribute with anything else.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:07 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
I bet going to the perpetually rebuilding Avalanche will have him on cloud 9 then.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Zoombie

I want to defend the trade due to my homerism but its hard to see why we didn't receive a pick back. We took on a high salary player and the best player in the trade was going their way.

Jones + SOB + Avs 4th I would have been fine with.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:30 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
I want to defend the trade due to my homerism but its hard to see why we didn't receive a pick back. We took on a high salary player and the best player in the trade was going their way.

Jones + SOB + Avs 4th I would have been fine with.
I think this trade made it obvious that teams simply do not value Tanguay and were not willing to give up any picks for him.

Tanguay might be the best player on the ice when he happy, but when he's not happy he is useless, he floats, cheats offensively and is not a good influence around our prospects.

Quite frankly in a rebuild Tanguay is not a player you want going forward. So getting rid of him for anything is a positive.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:35 AM
abracanada

What is not to like? We traded an uninterested veteran who was in the way of a kid like Baertschi. We traded a 7th defenceman who spent most of his time in the pressbox.

I am particularly interested in what Jones brings. At a time, not very long ago, the Avalanche felt this player who they picked in the 9th round, warranted a 4 million dollar a year contract. How many 9th rounders have that kind of upside? How many 9th rounders elevate themselves that much within an organization? At his age, his size and his potential, he represents an upgrade.

I am not sure about what O'Brian can bring. I think it depends on if he clicks with his coach and teammates. Will he play within his role, or will he start playing like an Orr wannabe. If he plays within his role, we could use a very large in your face defender who stands up for his teammates. It all comes down to his attitude and how much he wants to contribute.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
I also want to say. Hf truly loves draft picks. If a team makes a trade without some, the trades a complete fall on all levels.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
The Gnome

All you OCD fans need to give it a rest, both Avs and Cgy fans are hilarious.

This is a straight up hockey trade that address' team needs.

We get a RW PWF looking to rebound (hopefully he gets over his knee issues). We also get a serviceable bottom 6 dman. we also got younger, and tougher.

Avs get a good playmaker, and a salary dump. But they got the best player in the trade.

Before we jump all over who won the trade, keep in mind that its hard to gauge value when you to roster player swaps. It all depends if those players bring that missing element to the team.

For both teams this could be a win-win or lose-lose or win-lose. Tough to tell, but I would say on paper, it's a wash.

PS. The nice thing about SOB is he is aging, and hopefully can learn from his ****** bag antics. I guarantee you he will not last in the organization otherwise. Say what you want about our upper management, but they are all about class acts. SOB won't cut it in calgary unless his attitude turns around. Great opportunity for him as he grows into his late 20s. At least he can still play, we need a dman like him on the bottom pair.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote