Notices

Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich to COL for David Jones and Shane O'Brien

Old
06-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Gary83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I bet going to the perpetually rebuilding Avalanche will have him on cloud 9 then.
Nah, they building something special up in Edm- err, Colorado.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:55 AM
DBU
Yung Deebz

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Nah, they building something special up in Edm- err, Colorado.
That fresh, fresh mountain air must certainly help

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Stories
Science!

Jones will complement a north-south playmaker with patience. Jones is great at scooping up garbage. He also can find empty space pretty well and get off a rocket of a wrister if he gets the puck. However, he needs a good playmaker with him as he can't create his own space. Pair him with a good playmaker (eg. Stastny), and he's a great piece to have. He has to be used with this type of player, however. He's not good with players with a lot of tricks (eg. Duchene).

His speed used to be an absolute asset, but his ACL injury a few years back sapped him of his unbelievable speed. He can be a good player when setup for success.

And I don't think anyone cares about the O'Brien-Sarich swap. It's 7th D for 7th D.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:18 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Jones will complement a north-south playmaker with patience. Jones is great at scooping up garbage. He also can find empty space pretty well and get off a rocket of a wrister if he gets the puck. However, he needs a good playmaker with him as he can't create his own space. Pair him with a good playmaker (eg. Stastny), and he's a great piece to have. He has to be used with this type of player, however. He's not good with players with a lot of tricks (eg. Duchene).

His speed used to be an absolute asset, but his ACL injury a few years back sapped him of his unbelievable speed. He can be a good player when setup for success.

And I don't think anyone cares about the O'Brien-Sarich swap. It's 7th D for 7th D.
I'm curious, has Jones never shown any progression to regaining his former speed? That's a real shame, man he used to have wheels. I think Jones would do well with either Hudler or Baertschi on his opposite wing. Both guys can be the setup man, they just need a big body to do the work for them.

Hopefully Jones has a good off season and comes in flying. FWIW, I think Tangauy is a great fit for you guys. From what I've seen of COL he is exactly what you need. Sarich will likely not do much for you, but you got the best player in the trade.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:

I like this, Baer-Cheese sees the ice so well and loves to have control of the puck. I think Jones is the type of player he needs, and also if you throw Backs on that line, that's a lot of puck movement, with a guy that can finish the play on the right. Not such a bad thing.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Stories
Science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I'm curious, has Jones never shown any progression to regaining his former speed? That's a real shame, man he used to have wheels. I think Jones would do well with either Hudler or Baertschi on his opposite wing. Both guys can be the setup man, they just need a big body to do the work for them.

Hopefully Jones has a good off season and comes in flying. FWIW, I think Tangauy is a great fit for you guys. From what I've seen of COL he is exactly what you need. Sarich will likely not do much for you, but you got the best player in the trade.
I haven't really seen any of his speed come back. He used to fly. Now he's just an average speed guy. Still, most of his success doesn't come on the rush or utilizing his speed. Maybe 2-3 goals from his 27 goal season were from utilizing his speed. He's mostly scoring from below the hashmarks.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:26 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 142
Quote:
PS. The nice thing about SOB is he is aging, and hopefully can learn from his ****** bag antics. I guarantee you he will not last in the organization otherwise. Say what you want about our upper management, but they are all about class acts. SOB won't cut it in calgary unless his attitude turns around. Great opportunity for him as he grows into his late 20s. At least he can still play, we need a dman like him on the bottom pair.
This is what I don't like about the trade if it was Tangs and Sarich for Jones I'm with you in it has the potential to add a positive element for both teams and both teams only gave up expendable players.

But SOB doesn't bring the same attitude to the rink that McGratton does and has the potential to rub a lot of people the wrong way while turning over pucks like it's his day job and taking time away from younger and arguably better players.

I hope you are right and at the first sign of trouble he's in the echl -.-

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:30 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
I haven't really seen any of his speed come back. He used to fly. Now he's just an average speed guy. Still, most of his success doesn't come on the rush or utilizing his speed. Maybe 2-3 goals from his 27 goal season were from utilizing his speed. He's mostly scoring from below the hashmarks.
Exactly what we need! Wow, thanks, this actually makes me like this trade rather than just meh.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:32 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
This is what I don't like about the trade if it was Tangs and Sarich for Jones I'm with you in it has the potential to add a positive element for both teams and both teams only gave up expendable players.

But SOB doesn't bring the same attitude to the rink that McGratton does and has the potential to rub a lot of people the wrong way while turning over pucks like it's his day job and taking time away from younger and arguably better players.

I hope you are right and at the first sign of trouble he's in the echl -.-
Have to give him a chance. TBH I've always been a fan of his play. He'll take bad penalties here and there, and get caught flat footed. But he brings that in your face physical brand back to our d-core. We really need that, as we have the softest blueline in the league!!!

Give him a chance, let's see what he can do. We have enough guys with wheels to cover for him.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Have to give him a chance. TBH I've always been a fan of his play. He'll take bad penalties here and there, and get caught flat footed. But he brings that in your face physical brand back to our d-core. We really need that, as we have the softest blueline in the league!!!

Give him a chance, let's see what he can do. We have enough guys with wheels to cover for him.
SOB's wheels aren't that bad, are they? I might be in the minority, but I've actually liked his play against us in recent years. Granted, they're the only action I've seen him in, but still...

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:42 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
SOB's wheels aren't that bad, are they? I might be in the minority, but I've actually liked his play against us in recent years. Granted, they're the only action I've seen him in, but still...
From what I've seen of him over the years, it's not really his speed that hurts him. He has a brutal backwards to forwards transition which is crucial for successful defensmen. That is usually where he gets caught. Lucky for him he will likely have a solid skater backing him up (Brodie, Gio, Butler, Cundari).

Old
06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the honest assessment.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:53 AM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Why do people think Jones has PWF qualities? He doesn't play that way, he is just a big sniper but he is still a fairly soft player.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:58 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Why do people think Jones has PWF qualities? He doesn't play that way, he is just a big sniper but he is still a fairly soft player.
WTF?! He's not a gritty in your face guy, but he plays hard, and works the dirty areas. Something that is greatly lacking from our group of forwards.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 413
Quote:
Well, he certainly brings more grit & physicality than Tanguay does.

I wouldn't call him soft but traditional power forward he isn't. If his skating has recovered, I'd say he's a bigger, slightly slower version of Curtis Glencross in skating and physicality.

Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
I like this, Baer-Cheese sees the ice so well and loves to have control of the puck. I think Jones is the type of player he needs, and also if you throw Backs on that line, that's a lot of puck movement, with a guy that can finish the play on the right. Not such a bad thing.
I wouldn't be surprised with this. Jones will go into the dirty areas and gives a lot of size to a line line this.

Everyone including Feaster said the Flames need to get tougher. It's hilarious that when he does exactly that everyone freaks out.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
WTF?! He's not a gritty in your face guy, but he plays hard, and works the dirty areas. Something that is greatly lacking from our group of forwards.
really? We haven't seen much of that in Colorado anyway.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Are we watching the same David Jones?

He works for it most times, but in the games I've seen, he doesn't go hard into corners, in fact he like doesn't really like initiating contact along the wall either.

I'd argue that David Moss brings more physicality and plays the dirty areas more. Basically Jones is like Comeau, but more consistent and knows defensive positioning, and we saw howmuch everyone LOVED Comeau otherwise lol.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:10 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Are we watching the same David Jones?

He works for it most times, but in the games I've seen, he doesn't go hard into corners, in fact he like doesn't really like initiating contact along the wall either.

I'd argue that David Moss brings more physicality and plays the dirty areas more. Basically Jones is like Comeau, but more consistent and knows defensive positioning, and we saw howmuch everyone LOVED Comeau otherwise lol.
You are right. Jones is a softie. But he has a good shot and decent speed. Like I said earlier. The poor mans Michael Ryder. Except he gets paid more than Michael Ryder.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
You are right. Jones is a softie. But he has a good shot and decent speed. Like I said earlier. The poor mans Michael Ryder. Except he gets paid more than Michael Ryder.
I dont see why people are complaining about his contract. We do have to reach the Cap floor you know, and I don't think this situation is a FA's paradise. In a year or two, maybe, but right now, I'm okay with a slight overpayment. And who know's, let's say:
Baer-Back-Jones
finds chemistry and Jones give us 25-30 goals and gives Cheese and Backs the space they need to operate, his contract seems well worth it to me.

You subtract Cammo and Kippers contracts from our current team and we're sitting at 34mil, we need cap hits somewhere. All there is to it, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked Kipper to take a Thomas hiatus just to help the team reach the floor.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:48 PM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

Kind of OT, but after this deal, I think I respect Avs fans less than Oilers fans. They're constantly at the bottom of the league and after winning a minor trade, they start bashing like no tomorrow

MC Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Kind of OT, but after this deal, I think I respect Avs fans less than Oilers fans. They're constantly at the bottom of the league and after winning a minor trade, they start bashing like no tomorrow
Come on now, they also won the draft lottery, and will have an elite-franchise centerman for years to come.. We might get a sweet Center out of the season as well, but they are in significantly better shape, except that we may have better goaltending, and defense.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:06 PM
DBU
Yung Deebz

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Come on now, they also won the draft lottery, and will have an elite-franchise centerman for years to come.. We might get a sweet Center out of the season as well, but they are in significantly better shape, except that we may have better goaltending, and defense.
Doesn't matter. The Flames may suck but seriously there's no need to take massive ****s all over us, even if they won one trade (which is debatable).

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:11 PM
MarkGio

So we got a slow, soft player for 4.5 million?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Doesn't matter. The Flames may suck but seriously there's no need to take massive ****s all over us, even if they won one trade (which is debatable).
Sorry meant to have at least one of these in there