Notices

Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich to COL for David Jones and Shane O'Brien

Old
06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
4 points in his last twelve are bad almost as bad as 9 in 33 and being a scratch at the end of the year (aka Jones).
Jones was injured for most of last year, he is also young and has potential to but up 20 goal seasons. Tanguays best days are well behind him. He will help a PP but outside of that can't defend him much.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:40 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Jones was injured for most of last year, he is also young and has potential to but up 20 goal seasons. Tanguays best days are well behind him. He will help a PP but outside of that can't defend him much.
Young? He will be 29 when the season starts next season, only in Calgary is 29 young.

He has one 40 points season which was 2 years ago, he has never outproduced Tanguay.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Young? He will be 29 when the season starts next season, only in Calgary is 29 young.

He has one 40 points season which was 2 years ago, he has never outproduced Tanguay.
Meant to say younger. No **** he has never outpaced Tanguay their different players. To even sit their and compare their stats is just stupid.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 395
How do Avs fans defend Stastny's decreased production over the last few years? By saying he was forced to play with Jones.

If the Flames didn't have tons of cap space, this time next year we'd see them trade a 2nd rounder to get rid of his contract.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Christian Yellow

vCash: 404
Quote:
Haha oh my god, that's so sad. Sad but true.

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:45 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
I agree with Hudlinator. This deal is the worst one he's done yet. This "could return to 20 goal" rhetoric reminds me of the Kotalik deal when we were expecting him to return to 20 goal form. You don't trade quality for a project.

Tanguay has quietly been 60-80pt (pace) player for the last decade and gets traded for someone who once peaked at 45 points and then declined immediately after. Jones, who's more expensive no less?

And I'd rather Sarich than O'Brien!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:45 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Meant to say younger. No **** he has never outpaced Tanguay their different players. To even sit their and compare their stats is just stupid.
Yes we traded a borderline first line player for a 3rd line player. I can only hope he has a bounce back year like Bourque did in Montreal.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:47 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Yes we traded a borderline first line player for a 3rd line player. I can only hope he has a bounce back year like Bourque did in Montreal.
Tanguay is not a 1st line player though, in Calgary but anywhere else he is a 2nd liner.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 395
Quote:
Tanguay is not a 1st line player though, in Calgary but anywhere else he is a 2nd liner.
50-60 points is first line on most teams.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:50 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
A 65 point player is absolutely a borderline first line player. Stop trying to bash Tangs he is soft but a great offensive player and we traded him for a guy that might put up 40 points if he has a good year and wasn't better than many of the UFA's at being a physical presence and is getting paid 4 million.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Feel The Heat
Flames in 6

vCash: 492
I'm second guessing myself.
This trade ruins any chance of us making the playoffs the next couple of years. What were the Flames thinking

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
BVicious

Quote:
He has 73 points in 104 games for a ppg of .7 or a pace of 58 in a year

The only players with a ppg in that time are

Iggy at .74

he makes 3.5 a year in what world is that terrible?
Right then he got his contract and became disinterested in winning. If he doesn't get his way, he pouts.

Besides, he is post apex, had to know it was coming.

Plus, we got bigger, younger and harder to play against, yet HF complains. Lol

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:03 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
A 65 point player is absolutely a borderline first line player. Stop trying to bash Tangs he is soft but a great offensive player and we traded him for a guy that might put up 40 points if he has a good year and wasn't better than many of the UFA's at being a physical presence and is getting paid 4 million.
Tanguay broke 65 points two years ago, stop trying to hype up Tanguay on what he did in the past.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:05 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Right then he got his contract and became disinterested in winning. If he doesn't get his way, he pouts.
The question on Tanguay will always be how he recovers after losing Iginla. Here's a breakdown of his PPG:
2010/2011 (Old Contract): .873
2011/2012 (New Contract): .710
2012/2013 before Iginla trade: .758
2012/2013 after Iginla trade: .286

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Tanguay broke 65 points two years ago, stop trying to hype up Tanguay on what he did in the past.
And has averaged that last year and this year before Iggy got moved. Face it we got bent over and have to hope Jones can bounce back.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:09 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Wouldn't be surprised now to see Cammy go for Clowe.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:11 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
And has averaged that last year and this year before Iggy got moved. Face it we got bent over and have to hope Jones can bounce back.
Your assuming Tanguay would still score at that pace staying here which wouldn't be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed here another year he would have been in the 40 point range.

Old
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
Haha oh my god, that's so sad. Sad but true.
Yet your complaining about getting rid of two 34 year old players on the decline?

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Your assuming Tanguay would still score at that pace staying here which wouldn't be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed here another year he would have been in the 40 point range.
Sure he would have and he still would out score Jones

Old
06-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Flamesfan13

David jones is a flame killer

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Gary83*

Tanguay is the new Piskula.

You guys are nothing short of hilarious sometimes.

Glad Tanguay and his loser attitude are gone.

If only we could have got that elusive 3rd round pick included.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

I am completely mortified by the reaction of my Flames brethren, the ridiculous amount of embarrassing statements in just so very disturbing. You should all really take a step back, take a deep breath and actually use the brains god gave you because you are all better than this.

Who's Leaving:

Cory Sarich- Age 34

Sarich is a stay at home physical bottom pairing defenseman, one of my favourites of all time. But I have to be honest here he has lost a step (or two) since he was diagnosed with Osteitis pubis and he now has trouble keeping up to the play. The condition ends the career of athletes in most sports, so it is fantastic he is still playing, but it has simply slowed him down too much.

Alex Tanguay - Age 33

Tanguay is a playmaking winger, might even be one of the better pure passers in the NHL. But in honestly evaluating Alex, one has to admit that he appeared to quit on the team this year, he admittedly quit on the Lightning, people believe he quit on the Canadiens and he requested a trade in his first stint here. His questionable character left his trade value at next to nothing. Tanguay also represented what the Flames have in spades as well, which is wingers that are soft and play small.

Who's Coming:

Shane O'Brien - Age 29

SOB is a stay at home physical bottom pairing defenseman, he bring alot of size and a mean streak. O'Brien immediately becomes the toughest defenseman the Flames have had in a long time. He is not the most fleet of foot, but is still a better skater than Sarich. As tough as Sarich is, O'Brien is even tougher and brings a real mean streak. O'Brien is also a decent shot blocker who has logged decent amounts of PK time in recent years. Simply put SOB, is a mean SOB.

David Jones - Age 28

Jones is a scoring winger that brings size to the forward group. The knock on Jones is he is not physical enough for his size, despite registering well more than a hit per game throughout his career. I do believe he skates well for a big man and has a very good shot. Jones is a solid defensive player who will regularly kill penalties. In addition to bringing size and a bit of a physical element Jones has scored 20 goals twice in his 6 year career despite missing the better part of 2 seasons (2007-08 & 2008-09) due to injuries. This past season was a down year fro Jones, but there is no reason to believe it wasn't merely a blip on the radar.

The Comparison:

Cory Sarich vs. Shane O'Brien

These two players are extremely comparable. They are both big, tough physical defensemen. However O'Brien is 5 years younger, plays a meaner game and due to age/injury is a better skater.

Who has the Edge: Shane O'Brien - It's really a no brainer for me here, but I give SOB the edge because he is younger, meaner and is quicker.

Alex Tanguay vs. David Jones

It is much more difficult to compare these players. They literally have nothing in common other than the fact they were involved in the same trade. Tanguay is a playmaking winger and decent penalty killer with no physical element to his game and can be lazy in the defensive zone, I also very much question his character as it appears he quit on his team yet again. David Jones brings everything Tanguay doesn't, he is much more physical, he is a shooter and he is known for his hard work in every zone and is a character player.

Who has the Edge: David Jones - I gave Jones the edge not as a slight to Tanguay but because Jones fills some pretty big needs while Tanguay is just one of a group of wingers that play a similar game. For the Flames right now, bigger, tougher and harder working simply trumps Tanguay's playmaking ability.

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Tanguay is the new Piskula.

You guys are nothing short of hilarious sometimes.

Glad Tanguay and his loser attitude are gone.

If only we could have got that elusive 3rd round pick included.
Jones is closer to Piskula than Tanguay is

Old
Flames 1st pick

Feaster still has a job?

For god sake at least get a prospect or a pick to rebuild

Jones and Obrien are horrible and give the Flames nothing except bodies

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Full disclosure, I'm an Avs fan.

Talent wise I don't think this trade was that far off.

Jones is a decent second/third line winger. He skates well, he can throw a hit, and he has a decent shot, and goes to the net area. I would say he has an average hockey IQ or lower, and is a below average stick handler, and passer. He's a shooter, not a play maker. I would expect around a 20g/25a output from him next season.

O'Brien is a decent depth defensemen. He has good mobility, throws hit, will drop the gloves, and can rush the puck up the ice. His problem is that he doesn't know what to do with it once it's up the ice. He also has questionable work ethic. He should work out fine as long as he isn't asked to do more than a bottom pairing role.

I think most Avs fans are more thrilled because it makes our contract situation better. Tanguay comes at the same term but a bit cheaper than Jones which is nice. It's probably a little riskier because of his age, but I think he also has a higher potential reward than Jones. O'Brien comes at the same price as Sarich, but the difference is that Sarich only has one year left as opposed to O'Brien's two. The extra year makes a difference to the Avs because they have a few prospects who are ready now, and some who will be ready next year and it's caused a bit of a logjam, but it's nice to have that extra bit of flexibility now.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote