HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

SI.com's Oiler preview

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2003, 09:53 AM
  #1
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
SI.com's Oiler preview

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

One part caught my eye:

Quote:
But that was just a precursor of things to come for the Oilers, who appear to be playing hardball with restricted free agent center Mike Comrie, whom they told not to come to training camp without a contract. Comrie maxed out his entry-level deal by hitting his performance bonuses, meaning Edmonton paid Comrie approximately $8 million since December of 2000, including $4.525 million in 2002-03. The Oilers don't want to pay that much again in Comrie's second deal, but Comrie and agent Rich Winter believe the natural progression of his career and earning potential dictate that he should at least earn a small raise on that number.
Did Comrie really make over $4.5M last year??

Digger12 is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 10:00 AM
  #2
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Did Comrie really make over $4.5M last year??
Yeah... rookie cap of $1.025M + $3.5M in bonuses.

That's one of the things that gets me. There's this supposed rift between Comrie and MacT (unsubstantiated from what I've seen)... but MacT was the one who allowed him to reach alll of his bonuses. Seriously... given the way Comrie played upon his return, he should've either been sat and allowed to heal, or only play minimum minutes per game IMHO.

But if he didn't play he couldn't get his points, and if he didn't play on the top two lines he couldn't get his top-nine average ice time trigger.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 10:51 AM
  #3
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
A pretty good article, compared to some of the hogwash thats been posted. The only thing I noticed as completely wrong was in the transactions at the bottom.... Horcoff played for who last year?

MrMackey is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 10:53 AM
  #4
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Here's another tidbit:

Lowe was criticized after the team gave up Janne Niinimaa and Anson Carter in separate deals with the New York teams to acquire Dvorak and Brad Isbister. Carter was popular in Edmonton, but the potential-filled Isbister and Dvorak give the team a deeper top six amongst the forwards, while the emergence of 23-year-old Brewer on the blueline helped make Niinimaa expendable.

First of all, it's pretty clear Carter wasn't all that popular in Edmonton with the fans - if you remember most of the wailing and gnashing of teeth after his trade wasn't "Oh, no, we gave up Anson" it was more "We gave up Anson for WHAT??".

Also, it was really the emergence of Semenov on the blueline that helped make Niinimaa expendable (along with his fairly hefty contract and questionable health).


And on the PP (our weakest link, according to the article):

With only 43 more power-play goals than short-handed goals, only six teams (New Jersey, Chicago, Philadelphia, Montreal, Calgary and Florida) had clunkier power plays in comparison to their ability to score while a man down.

What struck me here was that we had a better power-play than New Jersey and Philadelphia! Wow....

One more:

petite offensive-minded defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron



Oh, and some "possible line combinations":
First Brad Isbister Ryan Smyth Ales Hemsky
Second Jason Chimera Mike York Radek Dvorak
Third Ethan Moreau Marty Reasoner Fernando Pisani
Fourth Jani Rita Shawn Horcoff Georges Laraque
Extras Raffi Torres Jarret Stoll Tony Salmelainen
Extras Brad Winchester Peter Sarno Jamie Wright


Interesting that they put Chimera on the 2nd line!

I also like the chart at the end showing who all joined or re-joined the club in the off-season (includes resignings like Smyth & Reasoner), as well as who left the club.

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 10:59 AM
  #5
xauxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Yeah... rookie cap of $1.025M + $3.5M in bonuses.

That's one of the things that gets me. There's this supposed rift between Comrie and MacT (unsubstantiated from what I've seen)... but MacT was the one who allowed him to reach alll of his bonuses. Seriously... given the way Comrie played upon his return, he should've either been sat and allowed to heal, or only play minimum minutes per game IMHO.

But if he didn't play he couldn't get his points, and if he didn't play on the top two lines he couldn't get his top-nine average ice time trigger.
Very precise analysis! So, there were some miscommunication/misunderstanding between Lowe and MacT on this issue?

xauxi is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 11:07 AM
  #6
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Here's another tidbit:

Lowe was criticized after the team gave up Janne Niinimaa and Anson Carter in separate deals with the New York teams to acquire Dvorak and Brad Isbister. Carter was popular in Edmonton, but the potential-filled Isbister and Dvorak give the team a deeper top six amongst the forwards, while the emergence of 23-year-old Brewer on the blueline helped make Niinimaa expendable.

First of all, it's pretty clear Carter wasn't all that popular in Edmonton with the fans - if you remember most of the wailing and gnashing of teeth after his trade wasn't "Oh, no, we gave up Anson" it was more "We gave up Anson for WHAT??".

Also, it was really the emergence of Semenov on the blueline that helped make Niinimaa expendable (along with his fairly hefty contract and questionable health).


And on the PP (our weakest link, according to the article):

With only 43 more power-play goals than short-handed goals, only six teams (New Jersey, Chicago, Philadelphia, Montreal, Calgary and Florida) had clunkier power plays in comparison to their ability to score while a man down.

What struck me here was that we had a better power-play than New Jersey and Philadelphia! Wow....

One more:

petite offensive-minded defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron



Oh, and some "possible line combinations":
First Brad Isbister Ryan Smyth Ales Hemsky
Second Jason Chimera Mike York Radek Dvorak
Third Ethan Moreau Marty Reasoner Fernando Pisani
Fourth Jani Rita Shawn Horcoff Georges Laraque
Extras Raffi Torres Jarret Stoll Tony Salmelainen
Extras Brad Winchester Peter Sarno Jamie Wright


Interesting that they put Chimera on the 2nd line!

I also like the chart at the end showing who all joined or re-joined the club in the off-season (includes resignings like Smyth & Reasoner), as well as who left the club.

Bart
Great post. You're right on about Semenov being the factor and not Brewer... here's to hoping they're both factors this year!!

MrMackey is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 01:52 PM
  #7
PuckheadMcGillycuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
SI.com's Oilers preview

Hello all,

I appreciate the comments you have left here, and would love to hear more from you if you would like to take the time to respond to me personally via an e-mail.

I apologize for the errors regarding the number of Stanley Cups won by the Oilers and the Horcoff transaction bit. They have both been corrected. The Horcoff one was the result of the fact that I was working off the template of the Flames preview that I had done on Monday. I'm very sorry they were made, but they have been corrected. I hope that they won't skew your opinion of the rest of the piece.

As for the reasoning for the number of Stanley Cups one by the Oilers error, it may have been a direct result of the fact that I was rushing to get this preview done on Wednesday evening because my wife was in early labor. That's not an excuse for making a mistake, of course, but it probably did contribute to me making the error since I was hustling to get it done and didn't double and triple check my facts as well as I should have.

As a happy result, our second son was born on Thursday night, and to make it up to all of you Oilers fans, I promise that he will cheer for Edmonton from the start!

Anyway, thanks again for the comments and corrections. Please feel free to e-mail me from my e-mail submission box in any of my columns (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...own/index.html for the most recent).

Sincerely,
J.D.

Jon Dolezar
SI.com NHL Producer

PuckheadMcGillycuddy is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 02:07 PM
  #8
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdolezar
Hello all,

I appreciate the comments you have left here, and would love to hear more from you if you would like to take the time to respond to me personally via an e-mail.
Nice job! And thanks for stopping by. There's one more small correction, but it's very minor, so I doubt it's a big deal: Doug Lynch played for Spokane last year, not Seattle. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Seachd is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 02:11 PM
  #9
PuckheadMcGillycuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Thanks for the correction on Lynch, too.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.