HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

impact of 1980 winter olympics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2014, 10:25 PM
  #1
HunterRice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Delaware
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
impact of 1980 winter olympics

if thee Americans lost against the soviets, what impact do you think it would've had on the intrest in hockey around america. considering Roenick and Chelios Both said this was a strong reason why they started playing hockey

HunterRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2014, 10:36 PM
  #2
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Not much. Especially since this was not the Gold Medal game I think the 1980 Team would have not been much of a story. Winning possible a Bronze Medal would have been nice but beating that Soviet team is probably the greatest upset in Sports history.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 01:51 AM
  #3
VMBM
Uncool & heavy
 
VMBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
Not much. Especially since this was not the Gold Medal game I think the 1980 Team would have not been much of a story. Winning possible a Bronze Medal would have been nice but beating that Soviet team is probably the greatest upset in Sports history.
Why not a Silver Medal?

If we only change the result of the USSR vs. USA game (i.e. USSR wins), then USA would have gotten the Silver Medal; USSR would've had 6 points, USA 3, Sweden 2 and Finland 1.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 02:04 AM
  #4
TheDevilMadeMe
Registered User
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 45,798
vCash: 500
The impact on US hockey of the 1980 Olympics was massive, and it wouldn't have been so if they hadn't won.

It's no coincidence that the "Golden Generation" of Americans was the one inspired to play hockey by Bobby Orr and inspired to stick with it and excel by the Miracle on Ice.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 04:39 AM
  #5
brianscot
Registered User
 
brianscot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
In addition to continuing the before mentioned Bobby Orr influence on USA hockey, the win also made the NHL take American even more seriously.

http://www.usahockey.com/nhldraft

The USA hockey site above does a breakdown on NHL drafted Americans.

As time goes on, the total Americans drafted isn't necessarily greater than in the 1980's, but the total Americans drafted in the first round has blossomed.

The influence was coming, but the Olympic win made it mainstream news.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 10:59 PM
  #6
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Why not a Silver Medal?

If we only change the result of the USSR vs. USA game (i.e. USSR wins), then USA would have gotten the Silver Medal; USSR would've had 6 points, USA 3, Sweden 2 and Finland 1.
A Silver Medal would have meant the same to me as a Bronze. I still remember being on the fence about seeing them play the Soviets at MSG right before the Olympics then being glad I didn't because of the lopsided score. I never gave the US a chance and to think this game was on tape delay on ABC!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 02:58 AM
  #7
VMBM
Uncool & heavy
 
VMBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
A Silver Medal would have meant the same to me as a Bronze. I still remember being on the fence about seeing them play the Soviets at MSG right before the Olympics then being glad I didn't because of the lopsided score. I never gave the US a chance and to think this game was on tape delay on ABC!
I did not mean that the Silver medal would have been much greater than the Bronze, just that they would have been the 2nd best team in the tournament, even if they had lost the game to USSR, as there was still the old system with no QF, SF or F.

Well, the 1972 Olympic silver in hockey did not seem to set America on fire - although that was also quite a huge surprise - so I guess it wouldn't have meant that much in 1980 either.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 04:14 PM
  #8
cam042686
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
We forget that Team Canada just days earlier almost beat the Soviets. They had them down 4-2 at one point before losing 6-4. Would a Canadian "Miracle on Ice" have changed hockey?

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 10:26 PM
  #9
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRice View Post
if thee Americans lost against the soviets, what impact do you think it would've had on the intrest in hockey around america. considering Roenick and Chelios Both said this was a strong reason why they started playing hockey
That's got to be wrong, considering Chelios was drafted in 1981. I'm pretty sure both he and Roenick were playing hockey long before the 1980 Olympics.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2014, 01:24 AM
  #10
VMBM
Uncool & heavy
 
VMBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam042686 View Post
We forget that Team Canada just days earlier almost beat the Soviets. They had them down 4-2 at one point before losing 6-4. Would a Canadian "Miracle on Ice" have changed hockey?

Craig Wallace
Finland was leading the game versus USSR 2-1 in the 3rd period. The Soviets did score 3 quick goals during the last 5-6 minutes, but there's no way the game should've been that close. USSR had their problems in this tournament before the Miracle...

Anyway, at least I'm sure that a Finnish victory over USSR would have been a huge thing; Lord knows that the win at the 1971 Izvestia is still been marvelled here by its participants & others, with all the Winter War analogy etc.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2014, 09:59 AM
  #11
HunterRice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Delaware
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
That's got to be wrong, considering Chelios was drafted in 1981. I'm pretty sure both he and Roenick were playing hockey long before the 1980 Olympics.
if you read the auto biography's you'd see that they both said these were defining moments in their hockey careers

HunterRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2014, 01:59 PM
  #12
AwesomeMatthews
#34
 
AwesomeMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
That's got to be wrong, considering Chelios was drafted in 1981. I'm pretty sure both he and Roenick were playing hockey long before the 1980 Olympics.
You mean 1891? And yes, the Miracle is easily the greatest upset in the history of Team Sports. Imagine a team of the best college players beating another team who handily whipped the All-Stars of the professional league. It would never happen again. As someone who grew up playing hockey in America I can safely say that its impact is still seen. And since I was born in 1990 the movie Miracle did a great job bringing that hype back, every I've played hockey with loves that movie.

AwesomeMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2014, 10:02 PM
  #13
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,070
vCash: 500
The NHL was really hoping to recreate that magic in Salt Lake City.
Even if the US had won gold it still wouldn't hold a candle to beating the Soviets during the height of the Cold War.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2014, 08:57 PM
  #14
barnztormre
Our goley is awsom
 
barnztormre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
This begs the questions: if the 1980 Olympic teams were composed of NHL players as they are today, who would have composed Team USA?

Who was in the show at that time?

Would a Team Canada led by Lafleur & 99 be the de facto favorites?

One would assume Team CCCP would be identical, but are there any other favorites?

barnztormre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2014, 01:00 AM
  #15
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRice View Post
if you read the auto biography's you'd see that they both said these were defining moments in their hockey careers
That's quite different from saying "Roenick and Chelios Both said this was a strong reason why they started playing hockey" which is a demonstrably false statement.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2014, 01:10 AM
  #16
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnztormre View Post
This begs the questions: if the 1980 Olympic teams were composed of NHL players as they are today, who would have composed Team USA?

Who was in the show at that time?

Would a Team Canada led by Lafleur & 99 be the de facto favorites?

One would assume Team CCCP would be identical, but are there any other favorites?
Mark Howe was the only American player in the top-50 nhl scorers in 1979/80. I think it fair to say that a professional Canadian team that included the likes of Dionne, Gretzky, Lafleur, Perreault, Trottier, Bossy, Esposito, Sittler and Federko would be the runaway favourites.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2014, 10:01 AM
  #17
cam042686
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
Or think about how many teenage Canadian were playing in the NHL in 1979-80 and/or who entered the WHA the year before. If they had stayed in junior - maybe decided to play in the Olympics and delay entry into the pros think of the team Canada could have "iced."

This list isn't meant to be exhaustive - but shows what what could have been. And think what the players lost out on - a once in a lifetime chance (at least in that era) to represent their country in the biggest sporting event on the planet.

Goalie - Pat Riggin (big step up from Bob Dupius!)

Defense
Rob Ramage
Ray Bourque
Gaston Gingras

Forwards
Wayne Gretzky
Rick Vaive
Mike Gartner
Michel Goulet
Mark Messier (long shot as he wasn't much at all as a junior player and his WHA debut showed he wasn't ready to play at this level.)

Just a few thoughts - Canada could have iced a potential young powerhouse team if the WHA and NHL had left them alone.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2014, 10:03 AM
  #18
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
 
Bear of Bad News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Posts: 5,446
vCash: 663
Craig, that's a great point and I'd never looked at it that way before.

Given how the actual Canada team did, they could have iced a winner.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2014, 10:27 AM
  #19
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,791
vCash: 500
Given what Team CCCP did to comparable Canadian squads in 1979 and 1981, I wouldn't crown them winners just yet.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2014, 03:40 PM
  #20
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
 
Bear of Bad News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Posts: 5,446
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Given what Team CCCP did to comparable Canadian squads in 1979 and 1981, I wouldn't crown them winners just yet.
How did you manage to confuse "they could have won" with "I'm crowning them winners"?

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2014, 02:43 AM
  #21
VMBM
Uncool & heavy
 
VMBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Given what Team CCCP did to comparable Canadian squads in 1979 and 1981, I wouldn't crown them winners just yet.
The way the Soviets were playing in Lake Placid (with the exception of the game vs. SWE, in which they were brilliant), I think any young, hungry & skilled team could have upset them.

It's just amazing to me that even after those scares vs. Finland and Canada, and USA having e.g. destroyed Czechoslovakia 7-3, the Soviets were (apparently, allegedly etc) overly confident before the USA game... and all because of the massacre at the MSG prior to the Olympics?

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2014, 02:41 PM
  #22
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
... and all because of the massacre at the MSG prior to the Olympics?
Very strange. You could well be right, complacency, but Ive always thought there was something more than just that going on. Just what exactly Im not sure nor has any really solid explanation been forthcoming.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2014, 05:12 PM
  #23
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselology View Post
You mean 1891? And yes, the Miracle is easily the greatest upset in the history of Team Sports. Imagine a team of the best college players beating another team who handily whipped the All-Stars of the professional league. It would never happen again. As someone who grew up playing hockey in America I can safely say that its impact is still seen. And since I was born in 1990 the movie Miracle did a great job bringing that hype back, every I've played hockey with loves that movie.
Man does that 1980 miracle on ice gets overblown.

Half the guys on that team had professional contracts signed before the Olympics even started. They spent 5 or 6 months playing hockey full time before the Olympic games.

It was not a bunch of students against fake soviets professionals. It was pros against pros.

Still an upset, but not as much as we've seen in the movie.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2014, 05:22 PM
  #24
nutbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Man does that 1980 miracle on ice gets overblown.

Half the guys on that team had professional contracts signed before the Olympics even started. They spent 5 or 6 months playing hockey full time before the Olympic games.

It was not a bunch of students against fake soviets professionals. It was pros against pros.

Still an upset, but not as much as we've seen in the movie.
I don't think too many people would have bet on the US winning the gold after losing 10-3 to the Soviets less than two weeks earlier.

But during the Olympics itself, the Soviets started to look very shaky.


nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2014, 09:23 PM
  #25
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Man does that 1980 miracle on ice gets overblown.

Half the guys on that team had professional contracts signed before the Olympics even started. They spent 5 or 6 months playing hockey full time before the Olympic games.

It was not a bunch of students against fake soviets professionals. It was pros against pros.

Still an upset, but not as much as we've seen in the movie.
Let's be honest, the only players on that team who had good NHL careers were Broten, Christian, Morrow, Ramsey, Pavelich, and Johnson. Maybe I'm missing one. But that was a team of good college players, some of whom would be successful in the NHL, most of whom wouldn't, and none of who were at that level of play in 1980, going against a team that might have been able to rival the Islanders and the Canadiens.

It's only one game, and Tretiak got pulled, but you shouldn't understate how big of an upset it actually was.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.