HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is Colorado trolling with all of this media hype?

Old
06-27-2013, 11:58 PM
MiscBrah

vCash: 500
Is Colorado trolling with all of this media hype?

I don't think I can remember a time when the team that was selecting 1st overall was so vocal about who they were going to be drafting.

I can only assume this to either screw a team over OR help another team.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up drafting someone else and then watch teams scramble in the 7 minutes that they have until they are up.

I'm ready for the fireworks!

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
No. They don't want to let down Jones and they are pretty much telling GM's "stop calling us with your bad proposals".

At this point if they got Mac's hopes up this close to the draft and let him down they would be as evil as the guy that tells the 5 year old Santa isn't real.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:03 AM
9Duchene
Bring on the Wild

I'm pretty sure they'll draft MacKinnon, unless a crazy offer was thrown their way.

9Duchene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:06 AM
N o o d l e s

At this point, I don't see how they would be trolling. It would make no sense to say they are taking MacKinnon and then turn around and take Jones. Besides messing with the players involved, they don't stand to gain anything trade wise by publicly announcing it and trolling. Surely other gm's know if that pick is available for discussion, it's not like gm's watch the news to find out what assets are available.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:16 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll draft MacKinnon, unless a crazy offer was thrown their way.
Maybe that's what they are trying to do?

Something about it just seems fishy to me. Do teams usually do this?

Old
06-28-2013, 12:16 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Sakic has now explained why they're doing this a few times (first to Lebrun, then to TSN tonight). The hype train in Colorado around Jones was riding high and it was to notify the fans he wasn't going to be the pick, so they don't get their hopes up expecting him.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:20 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Sakic has now explained why they're doing this a few times (first to Lebrun, then to TSN tonight). The hype train in Colorado around Jones was riding high and it was to notify the fans he wasn't going to be the pick, so they don't get their hopes up expecting him.
Isn't it much more beneficial for a team to keep this information private until the draft?

I honestly don't believe that a GM would announce the pick beforehand just because fans were speculating...

Old
06-28-2013, 12:23 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
Isn't it much more beneficial for a team to keep this information private until the draft?

I honestly don't believe that a GM would announce the pick beforehand just because fans were speculating...
2 more days... no one knows at this point. Sakic might be trolling, but it would be weird. I mean, the only point would be to get Florida to try to trade picks. It's a tough call, and everyone that will post here will tell you an answer that no one except Sakic truly knows.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:32 AM
tucker3434

Sakic explained why he's doing what he's doing. Sure seems reasonable to me. He keeps talking about it because it is the only think people are asking.

It's not like there would be that big of a scramble. I guarantee you all those teams in the top 4 have a list they're picking from. They're just going to take the highest guy on that list that hasn't been selected.

One other thing. There are other ways to get the word out to other GM's than by talking to reporters. By doing this, they've got the fan base excited about MacKinnon. They've also pretty much shut down Jones. If all of this is a bluff and they pick Jones, it would be a huge kick in the nuts to the fans. I just don't see Sakic and Co. doing that. Could a benefit from being so vocal be that they get more/better offers? Sure, but MacKinnon is the guy unless they're blown away.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:35 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

We had idiot reporters like Adrian Dater stalking Seth Jones throughout the Memorial Cup and posting a new article every day on him. The focus and presumed guarantee of Jones going 1st needed to be silenced so that the fans weren't shocked and potentially upset with new management. I don't mind it. MacK knows what the deal is now, no tension on his part either.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Canuck71

Quote:
I don't think I can remember a time when the team that was selecting 1st overall was so vocal about who they were going to be drafting.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up drafting someone else and then watch teams scramble in the 7 minutes that they have until they are up.

Don't you remember the "Seen Stamkos?" campaign back in 2008? But yeah you're right, not since then has a team been so vocal.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:58 AM
nazembiggs*

Colorado has no idea what their doing right now

nazembiggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
They're already talking about what line MacKinnon will play on. I figured the talk was a mixture of: the truth, at #1 they'd pick "one of the forwards" --> MacKinnon and a way to let anyone know if they want MacKinnon they'll have to go through them rather than Florida. That doesn't mean they're interested in trading down, but it at least indicates that if you're going to make an offer, you better make it big.

They're going to take MacKinnon.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:54 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:

You can't even remember things back in 2008? Man you must have really bad memories Why does it matter if they tell the world who they're drafting when they're going 1st overall. Is not like anyone can do anything about it.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:54 AM
Freudian
calmer than you are

Sakic has repeated they are so public because there was an expectation in Denver that Jones was the slam dumk at #1. They're managing expectations.

I think they have set the price on trading down so high (as they should) that they know it's unlikely that anyone will trade up for the pick, so there is no real downside to telling us that they will pick MacKinnon.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Drury_Sakic

Colorado is working hard to see if Florida will give up a decent asset to move from #2 to #1. I have to imagine that is why they are putting it out there so hard that Mac is going to be the pick.

Now, I think that the Avs do 100% intend to draft Mac with the pick and they would be very happy to have him....but if Florida will give up a pick, prospect, and/or NHL player to move up, I think they would do that deal and then take Jones.

Its great asset management by the Avs. You are giving ample notice to the team below you that you are going to take the guy they want, so trade up and get him...while at the same time showing you will take the BPA rather than need.

Avs either look super smart and get the trade with Florida and then take Jones...or they get Mac and have a fan base that is not asking 100 times over why they did not take Jones.

Drury_Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:58 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Sakic has repeated they are so public because there was an expectation in Denver that Jones was the slam dumk at #1. They're managing expectations.

I think they have set the price on trading down so high (as they should) that they know it's unlikely that anyone will trade up for the pick, so there is no real downside to telling us that they will pick MacKinnon.
This. All this "trolling" and "trading down" stuff is nonsense.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:00 AM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Sakic explained why he's doing what he's doing. Sure seems reasonable to me.
By doing this, they've got the fan base excited about MacKinnon.
Sure, but MacKinnon is the guy unless they're blown away.
I disagree. Those comments would certainly not make me excited about MacKinnon, and why would they? The Avs are clearly not adamant about MacKinnon at all.

Everyone in the Avs organization is saying they're "leaning towards" picking MacKinnon. They are leaning so much it's like the tower in Pisa at this point. They also keep repeating variations of "if the draft were held today" they'd take MacKinnon. Another direct quote from Sakic, "Right now we're excited about making the first selection." Always short of committing to picking first overall, and you hear the same message from everybody involved with their front office.

That's not a declaration they want MacKinnon badly. What it possibly means is that they rate MacKinnon highly and think they have to pick him if they pick first, but in reality they'd prefer another player who they see as a better fit going forward but feel awkward picking first overall. That is the only reason why every front office guy there would be putting out this same line. I think they want Florida to give them something to swap picks.

The Jones hype ended as soon as they said they were going to take a forward. They could've left it at that and waited a week to go to the podium and call MacKinnon. Instead they did this whole song and dance and started leaning like a woman who's trying to impress you with cleavage.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:

I never have understood why teams keep that first pick under wraps. The only reason you do so is if you are trying trade the pick down one or two spots and hope your real favorite player slips to you. If you are trading from 1st to beyond the top 3 picks, the odds of a guy sliding to you are slim to none anyways, so why not say who you are leaning towards....well...other than the drama and PR it drums up.

The Avs don't need to do that in this situation because everyone and their mother knows that Mac and Jones are going with the first 2 picks...and if Florida swaps with the Avs, everyone knows they will take Mac....thus giving the Avs Jones.

The teams that should be more concerned with secrets are those picking in the 3-10 range, as that's where guys could potentially slide or be picked early depending on internal rankings.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:08 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post

The Jones hype ended as soon as they said they were going to take a forward. They could've left it at that and waited a week to go to the podium and call MacKinnon. Instead they did this whole song and dance and started leaning like a woman who's trying to impress you with cleavage.
You could be right, and I do think the Avs hope to high hell that Florida gives up a decent asset or two to move up.... but I also think that managing fans expectations is a huge part in all of this.

Denver has been on Jones, Jones, and more Jones watch since the season took a spin off the deep end. If the Avs had just given the normal line of "best player available" or "leaning towards a forward" there would have been a good deal of shock in Avs land when they got up on draft day and taken Mac. This way they have declared Mac the forward of choice, while leaving the option of trading down to take Jones totally open. Neither would surprise me at this point and both seem like good options.

It also sets up at least some possible expectation of trading out of the top 3 if the deal was right.

Rather than being 100% focused on Jones and only Jones at #1, Avs fans can see a logical move with any of the 3 options, trading down for Jones, drafting Mac, or trading out of the top 3 all together.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Drury_Sakic

I also think this is part of the Avs major effort to step up communication with Fans. Avs have been CIAish in their coverups of even minor events in the past 10 years.

Nothing is lost by saying up front who the Avs will be picking with the 1st pick.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:32 AM
jfisher6
Get dunked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
Colorado has no idea what their doing right now
Oh, the irony

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:05 AM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

I'm still pretty sure telling everyone is a little "weird" but I don't see why people still think Sakic is being dishonest. He's not that kind of guy historically and the situation makes a lot of sense.

He likes MacKinnon better, he doesn't want Avs fans (or Jones) to expect him to take Jones and if anyone is offering a trade they need to understand they'd be trading for MacKinnon not Jones.

It makes a lot of sense the way Sakic tells it; even if it is a little weird.

Frankly, it sounds like he might be doing Jones a favor more than anything else so the kid can arrange for a comfy landing at 2, 3 or w/e

SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:08 AM
ORLY

vCash: 1014
O'reilly-Stastny- Landeskog
McGinn- Duchene- Parenteau
Tanguay Mackinnon- Downie
Mcleod-Olver- Bordeleau

EX: Hejduk?, Kobasew?

Wilson- Johnson
Barrie- Hejda
Hunwick- Sarich

EX: Elliot?

ORLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:23 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

beaten, but tampa literally put up advertisments about the fact that they were picking stamkos. Doesnt get more blatant than that.