HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NHL to plan massive redistribution of rosters?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2005, 01:15 PM
  #1
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
NHL to plan massive redistribution of rosters?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

Confirm or deny: That one Western Conference team is discreetly floating a proposal at the governors' level that would see the NHL's ambitious re-launch feature a massive redistribution of player talent around the league. The theory goes something like this: If there's a new economic order anyway, then every team should have the ability to protect between five-and-seven players from its current reserve list and everybody else goes into a giant rotisserie-style pool. The teams would then re-draft the remaining 500 or so players, theoretically, adding more balance to the league. Of course, the problem is this - like the Bain Capital initiative to buy the league for $4.3 billion - makes an interesting talking point, but it would never actually go anywhere. For starters, the teams with strong farm systems would never agree to sacrifice their up-and-coming rosters to help out the teams that depleted their systems, either through bad drafting or by trading away their future in order to win in the present. More problematic would be what to do with all the unwanted players. No one would ever draft LeClair or Turgeon - and even productive NHL players such as Jaromir Jagr or Bill Guerin might get a pass, just because their contracts would be prohibitively expensive in a salary-cap era. It's possible that the league could create a pool of money to buy out the unwanted players, but it's hard to imagine that anyone outside of New York, Detroit, Toronto or Dallas would ever support such an initiative - even if it is a fun concept to kick around.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 01:19 PM
  #2
borro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

Confirm or deny: That one Western Conference team is discreetly floating a proposal at the governors' level that would see the NHL's ambitious re-launch feature a massive redistribution of player talent around the league. The theory goes something like this: If there's a new economic order anyway, then every team should have the ability to protect between five-and-seven players from its current reserve list and everybody else goes into a giant rotisserie-style pool. The teams would then re-draft the remaining 500 or so players, theoretically, adding more balance to the league. Of course, the problem is this - like the Bain Capital initiative to buy the league for $4.3 billion - makes an interesting talking point, but it would never actually go anywhere. For starters, the teams with strong farm systems would never agree to sacrifice their up-and-coming rosters to help out the teams that depleted their systems, either through bad drafting or by trading away their future in order to win in the present. More problematic would be what to do with all the unwanted players. No one would ever draft LeClair or Turgeon - and even productive NHL players such as Jaromir Jagr or Bill Guerin might get a pass, just because their contracts would be prohibitively expensive in a salary-cap era. It's possible that the league could create a pool of money to buy out the unwanted players, but it's hard to imagine that anyone outside of New York, Detroit, Toronto or Dallas would ever support such an initiative - even if it is a fun concept to kick around.
Why not just total free agency then?

borro is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 01:29 PM
  #3
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
The only way something like this would work {in my opinion} is if EVERY player was put into the draft pool, and all franchises, however many they be, draft completely new teams. All contracts are cancelled, every 1st round pick gets a certain salary limit, every 2nd round pick gets a certain salary limit, and so on.

Of course, this is a crazy idea and would never EVER happen. But its just my 2pence worth. If your gonna do something, do it properly, and not a half assed approach which is what this latest proposal looks like.

Rowley Birkin is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
  #4
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,855
vCash: 500
Not gonna happen. The biggest thing the NHL needs when it comes back is fan support. Since there won't exactly be a flood of new fans just waiting for the return of hockey, they need to make sure to retain as much of the existing fanbase as possible (well, at least what's left of the existing fanbase). The surest way to alienate fans is to almost totally overahaul each and every team in the league so that few franchises have an identity anymore. I can easliy think of more than 5 or 6 Sharks players that I would want to stay with the team, and since San Jose wouldn't have as far to go in trimming salaries to meet a cap, a draft would mean that they have to give up far more players than would be necessary.

Also, a draft would only serve to get teams that made stupid financial decisions (like Dallas with Turgeon) off the hook while punishing the teams that have been smart in spending their money.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
  #5
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,790
vCash: 500
It's like that crazy fantasy draft option in the video games when you start owner mode.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 01:33 PM
  #6
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
The only way something like this would work {in my opinion} is if EVERY player was put into the draft pool, and all franchises, however many they be, draft completely new teams. All contracts are cancelled, every 1st round pick gets a certain salary limit, every 2nd round pick gets a certain salary limit, and so on.

Of course, this is a crazy idea and would never EVER happen. But its just my 2pence worth. If your gonna do something, do it properly, and not a half assed approach which is what this latest proposal looks like.
That would be a pretty awesome draft. I think Kovalchuk would go first overall.

Habsfan 32 is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 01:37 PM
  #7
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
That would be a pretty awesome draft. I think Kovalchuk would go first overall.
Kovalchuk, Nash, Luongo, even Iginla maybe. Who knows. It ain't gonna happen though. It would be an awesome draft/event, but also a stupid move by the NHL at this point.

My point was that if your gonna do something, then do it properly. Start from a totally clean slate. This idea of keeping five players and then losing the rest of your team is pure ******** imo. It will allow the big spending teams to kepe their superstars, but dump the other overpaid players that they have, without having to pay anything for doing it.

Rowley Birkin is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 01:39 PM
  #8
missK
Registered User
 
missK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lightning country
Country: United States
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis
Not gonna happen. The biggest thing the NHL needs when it comes back is fan support. Since there won't exactly be a flood of new fans just waiting for the return of hockey, they need to make sure to retain as much of the existing fanbase as possible (well, at least what's left of the existing fanbase). The surest way to alienate fans is to almost totally overahaul each and every team in the league so that few franchises have an identity anymore.

Also, a draft would only serve to get teams that made stupid financial decisions (like Dallas with Turgeon) off the hook while punishing the teams that have been smart in spending their money.
Totally agree! The rumored scenerio is only good for the teams that over-spent in the past, not all the other teams that were responsible with their spending. So you are going to screw the league and royally p-off fans because of 5 or so teams, that's ridiculous.

missK is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 01:48 PM
  #9
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 11,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

Confirm or deny: That one Western Conference team is discreetly floating a proposal at the governors' level that would see the NHL's ambitious re-launch feature a massive redistribution of player talent around the league. The theory goes something like this: If there's a new economic order anyway, then every team should have the ability to protect between five-and-seven players from its current reserve list and everybody else goes into a giant rotisserie-style pool. The teams would then re-draft the remaining 500 or so players, theoretically, adding more balance to the league.
I have $10 that says the team in question is the Chicago Blackhawks. Sleazy ownership, no talent to lose on their existing team, would be huge winners under this format. I can't see any other Western Conference team proposing this sort of crap.

Will never happen of course.

MS is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 02:17 PM
  #10
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
fantasy draft for all teams with every player, the draft each year takes 2 days, this one would take um, probably 2 months itself... then each team would need a year to talk about contracts with these players and get them situated, its fun for a computer game or video game, real life, huge nightmare and would ruin it badly.

Would you want to see sakic in Dallas or San Jose instead of on colorado?
Or see Kovalchuk on detroit or Colorado rather then a place like Atlanta
it would case too many problems.. Not to mention yzerman would retire before being up for that idea... and not to mention, i wouldnt want to play against nik lidstrom.. if the league decided to do that, each team should be given like 5-10 players to hold onto, farms stay the same, that wouldnt be fair

zetterberg40 is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 02:19 PM
  #11
DaveMatthew
Registered User
 
DaveMatthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 6,648
vCash: 500
Ummm, ya, not gonna happen.

What I could see happening, is a draft where each team can submit a player or a few players. This would be too get under the cap. The team that submits the player would have to pay 1/2 (does not count towards the cap) of his salary, and if he is not selected by anyone else, they will have to buy him out, paying his full salary.

So for example, Toronto could submit Owen Nolan. They'd have to pick up 3 million of his 6 million deal if someone selects him. Otherwise, they have to buy him out at the full 6 million. None of these figures count against the cap.

The draft goes on until no team wants to make another selection.

DaveMatthew is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 02:26 PM
  #12
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 29,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
Or see Kovalchuk on detroit or Colorado rather then a place like Atlanta
Colorado? Well yes. But I can see your point.

Really noway in hell this plan flies. There is going to be a ****load of roster shuffling, but nothing THIS drastic.

Hasbro is online now  
Old
06-05-2005, 02:34 PM
  #13
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
The NHL would be sued by every single owner in the league.

Not happening.

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 02:41 PM
  #14
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
if this happens, I would absolutely revolt ... the big spenders got themselves into this mess ... they have to let the market readjust itself, period

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 02:48 PM
  #15
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
not happening..why would the Habs lose some players when they are under the cap figure?!

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
06-05-2005, 03:37 PM
  #16
Sens4Cup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
Ummm, ya, not gonna happen.

What I could see happening, is a draft where each team can submit a player or a few players. This would be too get under the cap. The team that submits the player would have to pay 1/2 (does not count towards the cap) of his salary, and if he is not selected by anyone else, they will have to buy him out, paying his full salary.

So for example, Toronto could submit Owen Nolan. They'd have to pick up 3 million of his 6 million deal if someone selects him. Otherwise, they have to buy him out at the full 6 million. None of these figures count against the cap.

The draft goes on until no team wants to make another selection.
I'd still think that even that situation would be unlikely. I think what is likely is that a new CBA would make it cheaper to buy out contracts so that you can buy out a contract at 50%, so that say for John LeClair, that he has 2 years remaining at 9 mill so the Flyers pay him 9 mill and his contract is null and void. You'll never see a situation where contracts have to be bought out at 100% as it just wouldn't be feasible for many teams.

Sens4Cup is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 03:49 PM
  #17
stanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,588
vCash: 500
Don't forget that in many instances we're dealing with guaranteed contracts and no-trade clauses. Existing contracts cannot simply be purged from existence. If it could, I'm sure many mortgage lenders would simply expel people from homes simply because they felt like it.

The part of the article included is merely rumor; it's hard to say whether or not it's an idea that came from a credible source since I'm not familar with the author (his article doesn't appear to be replete with rumor-mongering). However, I can see many organizations liking it and others detesting it. If you're an organization that has spent money and time in scouting, drafting, and player development, why would you now be eager or merely ambivalent toward giving up that investment to help those who didn't care to invest wisely in their organizations? The answer is that you wouldn't. What sort of split in the vote do the owners need to ratify a proposal? Regardless, of reeks of unfairness, and I can't even see the self-inflicted have-nots of the world pushing the envelope on this one because of that.

Also, read the "This and That" section of the article.

stanley is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 03:58 PM
  #18
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis
Not gonna happen. The biggest thing the NHL needs when it comes back is fan support. Since there won't exactly be a flood of new fans just waiting for the return of hockey, they need to make sure to retain as much of the existing fanbase as possible (well, at least what's left of the existing fanbase). The surest way to alienate fans is to almost totally overahaul each and every team in the league so that few franchises have an identity anymore.
From your lips to God's ears.

Hopefully, just the ill-conceived delusions of some rotisserie league devotee.

Trottier is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
  #19
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
I have $10 that says the team in question is the Chicago Blackhawks. Sleazy ownership, no talent to lose on their existing team, would be huge winners under this format. I can't see any other Western Conference team proposing this sort of crap.

Will never happen of course.
As a Hawks fan, I will admit that calling the Hawks ownership "sleazy", does an injustice to sleazy people and organizations around the world.

I would say though that the Hawks have more to lose than many other organizations in the WC. If you consider that everyone over 30 (or younger) and isn't under contract will be a UFA, several teams (DET, COL, STL to name a few) would be in much worse shape than the Hawks. Hawks have Ruutu, Bell, Calder, Barker, Babchuk & Seabrook that would all be in high demand IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 04:32 PM
  #20
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,528
vCash: 50
And the season will be palyed out on the new XBox,

STUPIDEST IDEA YET !

bennysflyers16 is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 05:34 PM
  #21
FlyerFire
Registered User
 
FlyerFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
if this were to happen

I WOULD NOT WATCH NHL HOCKEY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ps 19bruins19-love that avatar and I agree AC/DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlyerFire is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 10:33 PM
  #22
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,272
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'd stop being a NHL hockey fan and wouldn't look back.

Classic Devil is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 10:47 PM
  #23
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
I'd stop being a NHL hockey fan and wouldn't look back.
I'll second that. I play the hockey games on my Playstation because of the NHL. I don't want the NHL to be the actualized video game.

Clash* is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 11:04 PM
  #24
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
By the time the CBA is done there isn't going to be enough time for another draft before the camps start. There are too many other things to do, entry draft, signing players, waiver draft (if one) to name a few.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 11:30 PM
  #25
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
I'll second that. I play the hockey games on my Playstation because of the NHL. I don't want the NHL to be the actualized video game.
But wouldn't it be cool if we could watch them play hockey in a castle or on a farm, and with a turn of the dial we could change the friction and bouncing capabilities of the puck?

King'sPawn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.