HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Islanders interested in Ryan Miller

Old
06-28-2013, 09:37 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Arthur Staple who is a good source, as far as any source can be with Snow, tweets that they were out of the Bernier sweepstakes because they are unwilling to surrender picks and prospects in any deal. He doesn't believe the Isles are open to giving up anything of substance for a goalie.

The Vanek stuff is to silly to warrant discussion.

Sounds like a bit of speculaion by some local media types
At some point the Isles are going to have to face the music and realize that to really contend in the NHL, you have to be willing to part with future assets for current productivity.

Snow will eventually have to realize that or he'll be known as the guy who built a great young team but couldn't figure out how to get them over the hump.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSNAGS View Post
Okposo and strome aint going anywhere IMO...I see garth offering Nino, 1st and a prospect or roster player...Okposo was a huge reason why we played as well as we did against pitt. Garth is also extremely high on Strome and i dont see him budging there....Nino and that 1st is definitely on the table
Probably not. Per NEWSDAY, Isles will not move the pick.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
At some point the Isles are going to have to face the music and realize that to really contend in the NHL, you have to be willing to part with future assets for current productivity.

Snow will eventually have to realize that or he'll be known as the guy who built a great young team but couldn't figure out how to get them over the hump8
Reasonable take. But the Isles are still not interested in that sort of deal now, regardless of what any of us wants.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:

Snow will eventually have to realize that or he'll be known as the guy who built a great young team but couldn't figure out how to get them over the hump.
Despite the playoff run, the Isles are STILL a rebuilding team. The current team has yet to get contributions from the 2010-2012 drafts. The mantra is to build from within and keeping to it.

While I agree there will come a time when moves need to be made, but I doubt now is the time. Rather than giving up a small fortune of 1-year of Miller, there are other options available. What if Luongo were to be bought out and the Snow pursued him hard? Would that not be a good option while giving up NO assets? What about Khudobin (who has been mentioned a lot)? Miller is not the only game in town and it's not surprising that Snow would kick the tires, just like he's done with any other available goalie.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:44 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Probably not. Per NEWSDAY, Isles will not move the pick.
Too deep a draft and too many talented players with first line/first pairing potential in the top 15 to move the pick this year IMO. If this draft class wasn't so strong I could see Garth shopping the pick, but the chance to add another important piece to the rebuild is too good to pass up unless it's for someone like Ryan.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Felix Unger

A blockbuster move for Miller and Vanek is the sort of thing the current NYI ownership would NEVER do. OTOH, it's something the current Brooklyn management group would ABSOLUTELY do.

I would absolutely deal Nino, Okposo, 1st, and fillers for Miller + Vanek. That deal instantly places us, on paper, somewhere around the 4th-6th seed in the conference.

The sticking point would clearly be Strome. Buffalo would want him, and NYI won't want to move him. I could see Buffalo doing Strome, Okposo, 1st for Miller + Vanek. I don't know about Nino, Okposo, 1st for Miller + Vanek. Strome has legitimate 1st line center potential, which is something Buffalo obviously needs.

Lastly - I'm not sure what kind of appetite Buffalo would have for Okposo. He can be a maddeningly inconsistent RW who dominates the game at times and disappears at others. Not at all unlike Drew Stafford.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post

Edit: Make the 1st conditional on at least one of them resigning with the Isles, otherwise its a 2nd rounder.
That would nix the deal so thats a no go. 1st MUST be included.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:46 AM
IslesNorway

Snow has never given up anything significant in any deal ever and won't do so for one year of Ryan Miller. A 2nd rounder and ok prospect is probably as far as he'll go

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Felix Unger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Snow has never given up anything significant in any deal ever and won't do so for one year of Ryan Miller. A 2nd rounder and ok prospect is probably as far as he'll go
I agree. Vanek is a much more intriguing target. Otherwise, we're better off waiting out Vancouver. Luongo would make fit fabulously on NYI, and there are LOTS of flights to Florida.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Vitto79

So if Miller gets moved to the Isles then Nabokov to the Flyers

Where does Luongo go?

Bryzgalov should still be a starter

no idea what will happen but its interesting

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:52 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I agree. Vanek is a much more intriguing target. Otherwise, we're better off waiting out Vancouver. Luongo would make fit fabulously on NYI, and there are LOTS of flights to Florida.
Luongo on a normal contract on LI would be huge. It's JT's team and he would just fall in line and not be under the media microscope like he is in Vancouver. I'm sure the whole 'Prodigal Son Returns' would get a ton of mileage though.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:54 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So if Miller gets moved to the Isles then Nabokov to the Flyers

Where does Luongo go?

Bryzgalov should still be a starter

no idea what will happen but its interesting
It should be very interesting how things play out. Once the first real domino falls, the floodgates should open. Everyone is just feeling eachother out before the deluge.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:55 AM
SI90

Id rather give up Grabner than Okposo TBH

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Where does Luongo go?
I think if Bobrovsky bolts to the KHL, the Blue Jackets should go after him. Something around Ryan Johansen maybe. Jackets have a legit defense and guys who can put the puck in the net, only thing they would be missing to contend would be a goalie.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Felix Unger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Luongo on a normal contract on LI would be huge. It's JT's team and he would just fall in line and not be under the media microscope like he is in Vancouver. I'm sure the whole 'Prodigal Son Returns' would get a ton of mileage though.
Not really the prodigal son. More like return of the exiled son of Israel and the final destruction of the cruel Pharaoh Milbury.

It's Long Island. We go Jewish.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The Luongo situation moving forward would likely shift a lot of things.

06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
A blockbuster move for Miller and Vanek is the sort of thing the current NYI ownership would NEVER do. OTOH, it's something the current Brooklyn management group would ABSOLUTELY do.

I would absolutely deal Nino, Okposo, 1st, and fillers for Miller + Vanek. That deal instantly places us, on paper, somewhere around the 4th-6th seed in the conference.

The sticking point would clearly be Strome. Buffalo would want him, and NYI won't want to move him. I could see Buffalo doing Strome, Okposo, 1st for Miller + Vanek. I don't know about Nino, Okposo, 1st for Miller + Vanek. Strome has legitimate 1st line center potential, which is something Buffalo obviously needs.

Lastly - I'm not sure what kind of appetite Buffalo would have for Okposo. He can be a maddeningly inconsistent RW who dominates the game at times and disappears at others. Not at all unlike Drew Stafford.
My understanding is that Brooklyn is taking over marketing of the team, pr, and all the stuff related to sales. You couldn't really do that separately for the Nets and Isles.

The hockey management is unchanged.

So, there isn't really a management group other than the Snow regime in play here.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Arthur Staple who is a good source, as far as any source can be with Snow, tweets that they were out of the Bernier sweepstakes because they are unwilling to surrender picks and prospects in any deal. He doesn't believe the Isles are open to giving up anything of substance for a goalie.

The Vanek stuff is to silly to warrant discussion.

Sounds like a bit of speculaion by some local media types
I think any deal for Vanek would need a 1st and some young players, but I imagine Miller could be had for a roster player and a middling picks, ie: a good 2nd-3rd line forward + a 3rd this year and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year (2nd if he re-signs, 3rd if he walks). Or maybe there could be a prospect swap as part of the deal, where NYI gives up a better prospect, though still maintaining their depth in the pipeline, to upgrade in net.

Of course, that's just my personal take on Miller's value. Who knows if Regier would accept that or if the Isles would pay that price. But I do think Miller to NYI makes sense.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I think any deal for Vanek would need a 1st and some young players, but I imagine Miller could be had for a roster player and a middling picks, ie: a good 2nd-3rd line forward + a 3rd this year and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year (2nd if he re-signs, 3rd if he walks). Or maybe there could be a prospect swap as part of the deal, where NYI gives up a better prospect, though still maintaining their depth in the pipeline, to upgrade in net.

Of course, that's just my personal take on Miller's value. Who knows if Regier would accept that or if the Isles would pay that price. But I do think Miller to NYI makes sense.
Snow wouldn't give that up for Bernier who, IMO,would have been the ideal fit.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:26 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post

Would Bailey + 3rd + conditional 2nd/3rd fit? I'd definitely do that for Miller.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:28 AM
cybresabre
turning timber

vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Absolutely, it's baseless speculation that is tasty enough to keep a WGR listener's attention through an ad break.

Quote:
Darcy Regier has won virtually every trade he's made over the past decade. To think he would get anything less than top value for guys like Miller and Vanek is shenanigans.
I agree, when Regier is able to make a trade, the return is very nice. Very nice value is one thing but Nino, 'Okopso' and #1 pick for Miller is another.
Are the Islanders close enough to contending to blow three prime building blocks for one year of Miller? No.

I'm sure they'd rather start Miller than Bernier for this upcoming season, but Bernier fits the franchise's trajectory better. If Garth wasn't going to pay the price for the younger goalie that's the better fit, why would he send us three assets that are each more valuable than each of the assets sent by Toronto to LA? He wouldn't, that's hasn't been his MO.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:31 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
I agree, when Regier is able to make a trade, the return is very nice. Very nice value is one thing but Nino, 'Okopso' and #1 pick for Miller is another.
Are you saying a top prospect, a 50pt 24 yr old winger and a 1st ISNT enough for just Miller? Thats insane overpayment and i wouldnt touch that deal

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:35 AM
cybresabre
turning timber

vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Are you saying a top prospect, a 50pt 24 yr old winger and a 1st ISNT enough for just Miller? Thats insane overpayment and i wouldnt touch that deal
Of course not, I'm saying that is far too much value for one year of Miller.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Of course not, I'm saying that is far too much value for one year of Miller.
oooooh ok, totally misunderstood your post. my bad!

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Felix Unger

Quote:
My understanding is that Brooklyn is taking over marketing of the team, pr, and all the stuff related to sales. You couldn't really do that separately for the Nets and Isles.

The hockey management is unchanged.

So, there isn't really a management group other than the Snow regime in play here.
I don't believe for a minute that Brooklyn has no input on what's going on with all sides NYI. Given what I know about them, I would find it impossible to believe. They're making investments, they've an interest in the future of the team. I also believe that everyone involved is well practiced at keeping their mouths shut. So, what I'm saying is merely educated guesswork. But Brooklyn's marketing department is going to want something to market. And we've seen that's a very powerful force.