HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders interested in Ryan Miller

Old
06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
sabres_phan

vCash: 672
I always assumed that the Islanders were probably on Miller's no-trade list, which would unfortunately make all of this moot.

sabres_phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:53 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
Phrasing, 1st, BOOM.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
A blockbuster move for Miller and Vanek is the sort of thing the current NYI ownership would NEVER do. OTOH, it's something the current Brooklyn management group would ABSOLUTELY do.

I would absolutely deal Nino, Okposo, 1st, and fillers for Miller + Vanek. That deal instantly places us, on paper, somewhere around the 4th-6th seed in the conference.

The sticking point would clearly be Strome. Buffalo would want him, and NYI won't want to move him. I could see Buffalo doing Strome, Okposo, 1st for Miller + Vanek. I don't know about Nino, Okposo, 1st for Miller + Vanek. Strome has legitimate 1st line center potential, which is something Buffalo obviously needs.

Lastly - I'm not sure what kind of appetite Buffalo would have for Okposo. He can be a maddeningly inconsistent RW who dominates the game at times and disappears at others. Not at all unlike Drew Stafford.
There were points when I was the first one to try passing out the pitchforks and torches en route to the "trade Okposo NOW!" bandwagon, but after these playoffs? It's harder to say. On one side, I think of him looking like he needed a CAT scan for the first half of the season......and then on the other, I remember how he could just hold the puck and cycle for almost a full 8 or 9 seconds, beat people to pucks, get a breakaway here and there, and I don't know if I want to give up on the capabilities of an inspired Okposo.....only if he enters next season like he left the last.

I'm not sure how sour Snow is on Nino......but with character a huge watchword of his drafting, there could be a clash there.

The first isn't a "gimme," but one has to give to get.

I'd make a trade for the right pieces.....but while Miller's value versus salary is nothing I turn my nose at, both he and Vanek are only signed for one more year. They're awesome players, but contract status makes them worth a blockbuster package.

Hint: Stafford and Sekera are signed longer.

Just pipedreamin'.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't believe for a minute that Brooklyn has no input on what's going on with all sides NYI. Given what I know about them, I would find it impossible to believe. They're making investments, they've an interest in the future of the team. I also believe that everyone involved is well practiced at keeping their mouths shut. So, what I'm saying is merely educated guesswork. But Brooklyn's marketing department is going to want something to market. And we've seen that's a very powerful force.
GMs are responsive to ownership to a large extent, of course. For example, I think a gm will be very responsive to an owner saying "win now." But, I see no evidence that the Brooklyn folk will have than kind input.

In effect, this is the landlord and there is no reason to believe Snow will answer to them.

06-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Devereau

Nino, Okposo, and 1st for Miller and a 2nd would get it done IMO. I'm sure some team would offer something similar for Miller. Miller is the type of goalie that can win you games on his own.

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:08 AM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devereau View Post
Nino, Okposo, and 1st for Miller and a 2nd would get it done IMO. I'm sure some team would offer something similar for Miller. Miller is the type of goalie that can win you games on his own.
Isles wouldn't offer that. They would go after a UFA instead.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres_phan View Post
I always assumed that the Islanders were probably on Miller's no-trade list, which would unfortunately make all of this moot.
Perhaps...probably even likely, but I wonder if he'd change his mind given the developments there recently (LI, playoffs)

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:11 AM
SaintTavares

Quote:
If that's the case, why would Buffalo be looking to be trading him at all? Some people just love to overprice their own guys.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
If that's the case, why would Buffalo be looking to be trading him at all? Some people just love to overprice their own guys.
Because our GM is actively (and publicly) trying to tank. He said we're due for some "suffering". Really.

So given his public desire to go young, and having a goalie that's good enough in the regular season to keep us out of a prime draft position, on an expiring contract, and highly marketable...I think you can see why.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
Come on, How much would you like to see Miller in net for you. Buffalo is in a rebuild and that is why they would do it. I think it is a pretty fair deal IMO.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:16 AM
JT4President

Sorry folks, Garth will not implode this rebuild. You are all smoking some really great weed if you think a 1st rnd pick, niño or strome, okposo and others will be moved in 1 deal. There is zero chance that snow abandons the rebuild because of a little success. They are very close to seeing exactly what the last few years of drafts will produce. Garth will be looking for players that other teams need to deal due to cap issues. Think hemsky way before vanek. Vanek is better, but not at the cost of losing what we've built. Miller is not out of the question, but strome, reinhart, Donovan will not be the pieces going back. Niño maybe, only because of this attitude of late.

JT4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
GMs are responsive to ownership to a large extent, of course. For example, I think a gm will be very responsive to an owner saying "win now." But, I see no evidence that the Brooklyn folk will have than kind input.

In effect, this is the landlord and there is no reason to believe Snow will answer to them.
It's different when the landlord is the Big Brother. And Ratner is Wang's Big Brother when it comes to development - there's no doubt about that. So we disagree. Consider it conjecture, but 'no reason' is going too far. I believe Snow answers to Wang and Ratner has Wang's ear.

There's intellectual caution, but these aren't difficult dots to connect. Failing to connect the dots may even indicate a certain stubbornness.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Can you list the goalies who have brought that kind of return in the past?

Can you list the impending UFAs, 33 yo players, guys making more than six million who have returned that?

With trade value, history is your friend.

Millers value is likely a 2nd and a good prospect.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT4President View Post
Sorry folks, Garth will not implode this rebuild. You are all smoking some really great weed if you think a 1st rnd pick, niño or strome, okposo and others will be moved in 1 deal. There is zero chance that snow abandons the rebuild because of a little success. They are very close to seeing exactly what the last few years of drafts will produce. Garth will be looking for players that other teams need to deal due to cap issues. Think hemsky way before vanek. Vanek is better, but not at the cost of losing what we've built. Miller is not out of the question, but strome, reinhart, Donovan will not be the pieces going back. Niño maybe, only because of this attitude of late.
We aren't talking about Vanek we are talking Miller. If you want to talk Vanek then Strome would be a starting point. Yes Vanek is that good on a bad team. If it weren't for Vanek and Miller we would be looking at Mackinnon.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Devereau

Quote:

Can you list the impending UFAs, 33 yo players, guys making more than six million who have returned that?

I'm sure we could do better than that or we will keep him. He still has alot of years left in him.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
We aren't talking about Vanek we are talking Miller. If you want to talk Vanek then Strome would be a starting point. Yes Vanek is that good on a bad team. If it weren't for Vanek and Miller we would be looking at Mackinnon.
Given the way you gauged Miller's value, I'm surprised you aren't setting your sites higher than Strome.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:23 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:

Can you list any for Vezina Trophy winners that have been traded around 33yo?

There isn't a huge list of comparable deals there.

Plus, if Regier can get a 1st for the rental of Paul Gaustad and a 4th, I wouldn't be shocked if the return on Miller doesn't surprise some people.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's different when the landlord is the Big Brother. And Ratner is Wang's Big Brother when it comes to development - there's no doubt about that. So we disagree. Consider it conjecture, but 'no reason' is going too far. I believe Snow answers to Wang and Ratner has Wang's ear.

There's intellectual caution, but these aren't difficult dots to connect. Failing to connect the dots may even indicate a certain stubbornness.
I am curious as to how you personally know so much about the inner workings of Ratner and Wang? Also, how is it that you know, with such unmitigated authority, that Wang's landlord is going to take a day to day role in the team, despite all reports to the contrary.

Seems to me like you are engaging in a lot of wild unfounded extrapolation here and then calling folk stubborn when they don't want to take that ride with you.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Devereau

Quote:
Given the way you gauged Miller's value, I'm surprised you aren't setting your sites higher than Strome.
These guys are proven vets and with lots left in the tank. I said start with Strome. LOL

Old
06-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm sure we could do better than that or we will keep him. He still has alot of years left in him.
You can't keep him if he wants to leave. Will be an UFA next year.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:25 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I feel like Nino and a 1st is ample return for Miller. I say we take that and run. A pick could be added on Buffalo's side too if needed. We could also eat part of Miller's salary if money is an issue for the Isles.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
Can you list any for Vezina Trophy winners that have been traded around 33yo?

There isn't a huge list of comparable deals there.

Plus, if Regier can get a 1st for the rental of Paul Gaustad and a 4th, I wouldn't be shocked if the return on Miller doesn't surprise some people.
Folk using Gaustad as a comparable gets old. The conditions and market at a deadline or worlds different from what they are now.

At the deadline, if a contender does not have a number one, then a overpayment is doable. But, this is not the deadline.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I feel like Nino and a 1st is ample return for Miller. I say we take that and run. A pick could be added on Buffalo's side too if needed. We could also eat part of Miller's salary if money is an issue for the Isles.
$ are not the issue.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Beerz

Quote:
You can't keep him if he wants to leave. Will be an UFA next year.

If you can point to where he gave any inclination that he wanted out I would love to see.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
That might work.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:30 AM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Come on, How much would you like to see Miller in net for you. Buffalo is in a rebuild and that is why they would do it. I think it is a pretty fair deal IMO.
So you think that trading a potential top line for a goalie who's had somewhat of a falling out with the organization and is about to become a free agent after this season is fair value? I don't think any GM in the league makes that deal.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote