HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders interested in Ryan Miller

Old
06-28-2013, 03:29 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devereau View Post
Nino, Strome, Okposo, 1st for Miller, Vanek 2nd ? Is that fair ? Too much from Isles?
Your question is the answer.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:33 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
That report is ridiculous. Why would Vancouver do that? Makes no sense unless NYI adds something significant.
I don't think it's ideal for Vancouver, but there are reasons...
  • The Canucks are currently the team in the worst cap position and need to free up cap space
  • They have Schneider and therefore no use for Luongo
  • By swapping Luongo for DP they free up about 3M/year
  • ...Therefore the buyout would be less
  • DP's contract ends two years before Luongo's does
  • What other team is bailing Vancouver out of that Luongo deal?

The Islanders probably have to add an asset to get this done, but it's not as far-fetched as you think.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:36 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Do not believe this folks. There are VERY few people in the know in the NHL and even a guy like McKenzie, who's basically the best, didn't know about any Islander trade under Snow until AFTER it happened.

This yokel does not know a thing I promise you.
Was it Bobby Mac who was convinced Snow was taking Duchene up until the final moment? Or was it Burke? Or was it both? Damn, old age is eroding my memory.

The point being is that Snow has aspirations to win the WSOP and he gets off on how good his poker face is - you know that crap-eating grin that he loves to showcase. Bobby Mac is as clueless to what Snow's plans are as anyone else. Staple has direct access so he's the most credible source. Even then, Staple is pretty clueless too.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Was it Bobby Mac who was convinced Snow was taking Duchene up until the final moment? Or was it Burke? Or was it both? Damn, old age is eroding my memory.

The point being is that Snow has aspirations to win the WSOP and he gets off on how good his poker face is - you know that crap-eating grin that he loves to showcase. Bobby Mac is as clueless to what Snow's plans are as anyone else. Staple has direct access so he's the most credible source. Even then, Staple is pretty clueless too.

McKenzie was convinced the Isles were taking Hedman, and had said that for weeks prior to the draft.

Staple has a direct line but, I agree, he is not the brightest bulb in the box.

He did just tweet that the Isles have no interest in Miller.

06-28-2013, 03:38 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
  • The Canucks are currently the team in the worst cap position and need to free up cap space

The Islanders probably have to add an asset to get this done, but it's not as far-fetched as you think.
Knowing Snow, would you be surprised if he had Staple leak this as a sort of middle finger to all of those 'Insiders' that think they have him figured out? Just ask Botta what happens when you piss him off.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:39 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Nino, Strome, Okposo, 1st for Miller, Vanek 2nd ? Is that fair ? Too much from Isles?
wtf? for 2 soon to be UFA's GTFOH

If Miller and Vanek would both agree to extentions

I would do Nino,13'1st,Sundstrom,+ a bit more solid parts.....

Nino is a top prospect
Sudntrom is a young big center who is exceptional defensively and has a good offensive game could be a legit#2 NHL center.
13'1st doesn't help BUF now but if they are rebuilding its a good pick (15thoverall) in a deep draft...

Now these 3 wont be enough for both guys so mayby add Grabner and another prospect not named Strome,Nelson,Reinhart,or Donovan...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
McKenzie was convinced the Isles were taking Hedman, and had said that for weeks prior to the draft.

Staple has a direct line but, I agree, he is not the brightest bulb in the box.

He did just tweet that the Isles have no interest in Miller.
Ah, thanks for the clarification Darth. I do remember vividly how Burke was interviewed in the pre-draft festivities that Snow was taking Duchene. I could have sworn someone else reiterated that too, maybe it was Pierre. Screw it, you got the point I was making.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
wtf? for 2 soon to be UFA's GTFOH

If Miller and Vanek would both agree to extentions

I would do Nino,13'1st,Sundstrom,+ a bit more solid parts.....

Nino is a top prospect
Sudntrom is a young big center who is exceptional defensively and has a good offensive game could be a legit#2 NHL center.
13'1st doesn't help BUF now but if they are rebuilding its a good pick (15thoverall) in a deep draft...

Now these 3 wont be enough for both guys so mayby add Grabner and another prospect not named Strome,Nelson,Reinhart,or Donovan...
not really

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Ah, thanks for the clarification Darth. I do remember vividly how Burke was interviewed in the pre-draft festivities that Snow was taking Duchene. I could have sworn someone else reiterated that too, maybe it was Pierre. Screw it, you got the point I was making.

You are actually correct. For weeks prior to the draft, McKenzie was stating that the Isles would take Hedman at the draft.

Here is a quick link I found via google:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009...-at-no-1/1379/

Then, two nights before, Snow's misdirection machine spread the rumor that the Isles were taking Duchene. And, that is exactly what TSN was reporting in the moments prior to the draft.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
not really
Vanek and Miller would put the Isles in the talk of being in the top five in the conference thats why we would want something substantial for them. Vanek is elite and Miller can be and would be on a good team.
I didn't mean to quote u there

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:00 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
not really
Superb analysis.

Old
06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Would the Islanders be on Miller's list of teams that he wouldn't want to go to? If so, would that list still apply, or would he re-do his list now that it's the Summer? Because Long Island wouldn't be any closer to the west coast where his wife lives. Do you think that matters much to him, or is he using that fact as leverage to be traded to another team regardless of location?

Too lazy to go through and see if this has already been talked about.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Vanek and Miller would put the Isles in the talk of being in the top five in the conference thats why we would want something substantial for them. Vanek is elite and Miller can be and would be on a good team.
I didn't mean to quote u there
How far they would move us up the standings has zero impact on their trade value. That is armchair GMing 101.

Real GM's deal with years and dollars. They make a lot of cash so that's a concern for the Islanders and their ability to retain them.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Superb analysis.

Lol..let the debate ensue

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
How far they would move us up the standings has zero impact on their trade value. That is armchair GMing 101.

Real GM's deal with years and dollars. They make a lot of cash so that's a concern for the Islanders and their ability to retain them.
I thought it was about winning?

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Strome, Grabner, 2013 1st, Cizikas for Miller, Vanek, and Luke Adam.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:

I suppose the one thing is it controls where Luongo goes, assuming NYI plan on keeping him. The $3m seems rather meaningless to me as a motivation, more of an ancillary benefit. I would expect the Islanders to at the very least send a 2nd rounder in this deal.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:32 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Lol..let the debate ensue
What is to debate? A 2013 WC article , reported 5 teams contacted Snow about Nino this season and Snow refused to move him. 28 goals in the ahl , an all star appearance and a strong WC.

I don't think Snow cares whether others consider Nino a top prospect. With Boyes leaving this summer and Moulson a ufa in 2014 , Nino will get his chance.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:33 PM
seabass45

Isles aren't desperate to trade strome for rentals. I'd rather grab a goalie from ufa scraps.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Superb analysis.
He's a good prospect with obvious goal-scoring potential, but I don't think of him as a top prospect. Strome is a top prospect, Nino is not. There's obvious room for disagreement but if you can't see that as a reasonable opinion then I don't know what to tell you.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
What is to debate? A 2013 WC article , reported 5 teams contacted Snow about Nino this season and Snow refused to move him. 28 goals in the ahl , an all star appearance and a strong WC.

I don't think Snow cares whether others consider Nino a top prospect. With Boyes leaving this summer and Moulson a ufa in 2014 , Nino will get his chance.
I care not about Nino.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
I thought it was about winning?
It is, which is why giving up the farm and then some for two players who could walk is poor asset management. We made the playoffs with the team we already have (minus Streit and a goalie. Goalie can be replaced, jury out on Streit), and we're looking to add a few high end rookies in some combo of Donovan Strome Nino (I know he's tech not a rookie) and Nelson.

We can possibly sign Luongo after he's bought out or Smith or Emery or Khudobin and keep our young talent that you seem so interested in acquiring.

There is ZERO need for the Islanders to trade for either Vanek or Miller. We'll be just fine next season without them.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
Would the Islanders be on Miller's list of teams that he wouldn't want to go to? If so, would that list still apply, or would he re-do his list now that it's the Summer? Because Long Island wouldn't be any closer to the west coast where his wife lives. Do you think that matters much to him, or is he using that fact as leverage to be traded to another team regardless of location?

Too lazy to go through and see if this has already been talked about.
Its summer, Hollywood is already on Long Island in the Hamptons. Also with the opening up of three new Movie Studios on Long Island more Actors/Actress' will stay after the season is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
Strome, Grabner, 2013 1st, Cizikas for Miller, Vanek, and Luke Adam.
NO

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Summing up the thread: Sabres fans would like to move Vanek/Miller to the Isles for a bevy of prospects and picks.

Isles fan are, on whole, completely disinterested in either player given their contracts.

Sabres fans post iteration after iteration of Strome/Nino/Reinhart/1st rounder.

Isles fans show no interest.

Whaz the point? You guys want to move Vanek/Miller to get your rebuilding going, we have no interest in gutting youth for short-term fixes.

Not much else to discuss.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sabretip

Quote:
  • The Sabres are willing to take somthing like...A 2nd, 3rd, and maybe a mid-level prospect like David Ullstrom for Miller
  • Miller agrees to an extension with the Isles for at least 3 more years and Snow will give up more
  • The Isles can still be near the cap floor after taking on Miller's contract
You omitted the most basic element that should be at the top of the list: Miller agrees to a trade to the Islanders, which I doubt he'll do. Everything else comes thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
If Vanek goes as well, then I think the chances increase a lot. They are friends and long time teammates and that always makes it easier
I follow that thinking - but, if the main reason for trading Vanek in the first place is because he won't sign an extension with a rebuilding Buffalo team, then it stands to reason that he won't sign an extension with a rebuilding Islanders team, making him just a 1-year rental. Would the Islanders really want to grapple not only with the challenge of re-signing Miller but also Vanek, when both could choose to walk away?

I don't think doubling up the two really helps the Islanders' quest for them unless Regier is trying to give the two away for a bargain.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote