HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
  #626
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I've seen Vinny around Mtl quite a few times during summer. I doubt someone with no affinity would go out in the Old Port and downtown during the off season.

Mtl is his native city where he lived for his youth, and where it all started, he will always have some affinity for it.
I'm quite sure he loves the city but that does not necessarily mean be wants to play hockey there.

Anyhow, if we do manage to sign him, let's package him to Tampa for Marty St. Louis! hehe

groovejuice is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:25 PM
  #627
Stripper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I'm quite sure he loves the city but that does not necessarily mean be wants to play hockey there.

Anyhow, if we do manage to sign him, let's package him to Tampa for Marty St. Louis! hehe
Not sure if serious.

Stripper is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:57 PM
  #628
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Not sure if serious.
No emoticons on my phone. That's why I added the "hehe"

groovejuice is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:00 PM
  #629
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 12,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I've seen Vinny around Mtl quite a few times during summer. I doubt someone with no affinity would go out in the Old Port and downtown during the off season.

Mtl is his native city where he lived for his youth, and where it all started, he will always have some affinity for it.
I was using Crosby as an example. When he was young he was a die hard Habs fan, and recently he said that he doesn't care for Montreal at all anymore. He spend his whole career elsewhere so Montreal doesn't mean anything to him.

Maybe Vinny loves Montreal but I don't see how he can still like the team.

Stjonnypopo is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:06 PM
  #630
Saintpatrick*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,135
vCash: 500
I don't see him signing here and on the fence about the issue. Vinny is still a decent player but frankly I'd rather give more ice time to Galchenyuk, use Eller on the 2nd line and develop our youth. We need a d-man more than Vinny and the available cap space should be used for that.

Saintpatrick* is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
  #631
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I don't see him signing here and on the fence about the issue. Vinny is still a decent player but frankly I'd rather give more ice time to Galchenyuk, use Eller on the 2nd line and develop our youth. We need a d-man more than Vinny and the available cap space should be used for that.
100% agree with this. Problem is the D market is so thin. To what point do you fill needs no matter what, and what point do you adjust to the market? I suspect that the few average dmen available will be so expensive this offseason that it might be more efficient to pick up a good forward.

Roulin is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:30 PM
  #632
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
DD compliance buyout on 29 teams? Are you joking? Most absurd statement I've read all day. Even Grabovski hasn't been bought out and utter ***** now 16 points last season plus $5.5M for another 4 years plus he's older).

Try search Desharnais value into Google before making such statement.
I watched him play every game last year and he came up short in most of them, compliance buyout sounds harsh but I would use it on him over kaberle who has one year left and at least is a serviceable 7th d while DD is virtually useless.

Craig71 is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:36 PM
  #633
BigDaddyLurch
#Habs-R-FUBAR
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BargainBinVille
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I was using Crosby as an example. When he was young he was a die hard Habs fan, and recently he said that he doesn't care for Montreal at all anymore. He spend his whole career elsewhere so Montreal doesn't mean anything to him.

Maybe Vinny loves Montreal but I don't see how he can still like the team.
I lived in Montreal for years and I can tell you that to kids that grow up there, the Habs are a religion...you may grow up and move away, learn to love some other place that you call home, but you never lose that mythical wonder whenever you return...it's bred into them, like Christianity...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
  #634
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,978
vCash: 500
I just hope Lecavalier chooses a team really quickly and this doesn't turn into Shane Doan version 2.0 and drag on all summer.

sheed36 is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:48 PM
  #635
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,853
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
I lived in Montreal for years and I can tell you that to kids that grow up there, the Habs are a religion...you may grow up and move away, learn to love some other place that you call home, but you never lose that mythical wonder whenever you return...it's bred into them, like Christianity...
That might have been true years ago, but I don't think it's quite the same with the younger generation now. When I first started visiting Montreal in the 70's, early 80's, it was quite rare to see anyone wearing anything but Habs related merchandise. I was in Montreal in January, and I was amazed at how many kids wore jerseys, t-shirts, hats etc... from other NHL teams.

I'm not going to argue though that the Habs are a religion to a great many Montrealers. Though the numbers don't seem to be quite as high as they were in the past. Just my humble opinion though.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:55 PM
  #636
Stripper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingBullet View Post
That might have been true years ago, but I don't think it's quite the same with the younger generation now. When I first started visiting Montreal in the 70's, early 80's, it was quite rare to see anyone wearing anything but Habs related merchandise. I was in Montreal in January, and I was amazed at how many kids wore jerseys, t-shirts, hats etc... from other NHL teams.

I'm not going to argue though that the Habs are a religion to a great many Montrealers. Though the numbers don't seem to be quite as high as they were in the past. Just my humble opinion though.
A Stanley cup will fix that for you

Stripper is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:58 PM
  #637
Laboeuf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
The team would benefit having 3 very good centers:

Pacioretty-Lecavalier-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Moen-White-Desharnais (until traded)

Laboeuf is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:08 PM
  #638
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,853
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
A Stanley cup will fix that for you
Good answer!

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:53 PM
  #639
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
If Vinny doesn't sign here, I will hate him. Bergevin saying that they have high interest in him puts it all on Vinny.
Not so sure about that.
Bergevin has expressed interest but from what I see, it is not so high.

Martin McGuire thinks that Habs are more interested in Briere.

25get is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 12:14 AM
  #640
Jake5
Registered User
 
Jake5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
The team would benefit having 3 very good centers:

Pacioretty-Lecavalier-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Moen-White-Desharnais (until traded)


I'd try Desharnais on Vinny's RW, put Gallagher with Galchenyuk and Eller, and put Prust on the 4th line. That would be a very solid forward lineup in my opinion

Jake5 is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 12:22 AM
  #641
25th
Registered User
 
25th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aylmer beach, Qc
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake5 View Post
I'd try Desharnais on Vinny's RW, put Gallagher with Galchenyuk and Eller, and put Prust on the 4th line. That would be a very solid forward lineup in my opinion
This. GEG would be a great 2nd line and Plekanec and Co. would be a great third line.

25th is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 12:22 AM
  #642
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Not so sure about that.
Bergevin has expressed interest but from what I see, it is not so high.

Martin McGuire thinks that Habs are more interested in Briere.
Montreal fans will boo him opening night in a Habs uni..lol
Maybe back to Buffalo..lol

Habaneros is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 12:24 AM
  #643
DanltQC
Registered User
 
DanltQC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
I would take Vinny 10 out of 10 times before Briere

DanltQC is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 12:54 AM
  #644
lou4gehrig
Registered User
 
lou4gehrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I watched him play every game last year and he came up short in most of them, compliance buyout sounds harsh but I would use it on him over kaberle who has one year left and at least is a serviceable 7th d while DD is virtually useless.
Okay. You are perhaps the only person on Hfboards from any teams who believes this. In the value of DD thread, other teams fans were saying 2nd rounder + a good prospect. And you're saying no value? Like a Scott Gomez.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1388967&page=3

As for Montreal v. Tampa, Montreal is considered the 22nd best city to live in the world. Tampa wouldn't even make the top 100.

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-da...#axzz2XreHv7EA

lou4gehrig is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 04:53 AM
  #645
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Okay. You are perhaps the only person on Hfboards from any teams who believes this. In the value of DD thread, other teams fans were saying 2nd rounder + a good prospect. And you're saying no value? Like a Scott Gomez.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1388967&page=3

As for Montreal v. Tampa, Montreal is considered the 22nd best city to live in the world. Tampa wouldn't even make the top 100.

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-da...#axzz2XreHv7EA
DD can still rack up the points and make the play. I just don't think Therrien's style of coaching advantages him as a centre, as opposed to Jacque Martin's.

I keep saying it: Patch-Lecavalier-DD would be a mean offensive 2nd line. Lecavalier is a tough sob when it comes to puck possession.

PricePkPatch* is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 07:02 AM
  #646
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,934
vCash: 500
I know some will whine and come back with the "I knew he wouldn't come here" if VL signs elswhere, but at some point there needs to be a number and an amount of yaers where you won't pay more. The Habs can't afford to give VL an albatross contract if they want to try and win a cup the next 5 years. There are a ton of guys that will need raises, so getting in a bidding war for him is a bad idea. I think he has 2-3 good years left(at 50-60 points over 70-75 games), if you sign him for 5-6 years at over 5 mil cap hit, you're just asking for trouble.

Remember Brad Richards? Are we better off having NOT signed him? How about Briere?

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 07:13 AM
  #647
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
I lived in Montreal for years and I can tell you that to kids that grow up there, the Habs are a religion...you may grow up and move away, learn to love some other place that you call home, but you never lose that mythical wonder whenever you return...it's bred into them, like Christianity...

Churches in Quebec are closing faster than Rona locations.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 07:57 AM
  #648
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,934
vCash: 500
Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray said the Ducks withdrew from the Vincent Lecavalier sweepstakes.
The Ducks were apparently on Lecavalier's list of desired destinations, but the reported price tag of $25 million over five years was enough to scare Murray away. "I was told we were on (his list of) interest and then I inquired about what exactly they were looking for as far as term and the money situation," Murray said. "When I got to the bottom of that, we couldn't get in the ball game."

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 08:03 AM
  #649
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
DD can still rack up the points and make the play. I just don't think Therrien's style of coaching advantages him as a centre, as opposed to Jacque Martin's.

I keep saying it: Patch-Lecavalier-DD would be a mean offensive 2nd line. Lecavalier is a tough sob when it comes to puck possession.
Who cares about points? It's the playoffs that matter. DD is a smurf who can't play on your top two lines and expect any success. Players like Krejci have a good defensive game. DD is a pass-first and no defence centerman who isn't good on faceoffs.

Ginu is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 08:07 AM
  #650
SnapVirus
Registered User
 
SnapVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mtl., QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray said the Ducks withdrew from the Vincent Lecavalier sweepstakes.
The Ducks were apparently on Lecavalier's list of desired destinations, but the reported price tag of $25 million over five years was enough to scare Murray away. "I was told we were on (his list of) interest and then I inquired about what exactly they were looking for as far as term and the money situation," Murray said. "When I got to the bottom of that, we couldn't get in the ball game."
That doesnt sounds good for us.

If Anaheim is on Vinnys list its cauze of the sun and no media pressure. What help us, if he really wants 5/5, were probably the only team 'contending' who could give it to him.

SnapVirus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.