HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
He didn't mention Montreal. I guess we have a chance!
lol that makes sense given Eklund's recent record.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
He won't sign here because during his time away from Montreal he learned to hate the team and the fans here. He doesn't feel any affinity to Montreal anymore IMO, and that means that his chances of coming here are slim to none.
I've seen Vinny around Mtl quite a few times during summer. I doubt someone with no affinity would go out in the Old Port and downtown during the off season.

Mtl is his native city where he lived for his youth, and where it all started, he will always have some affinity for it.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:19 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
lol that makes sense given Eklund's recent record.
not just a chance, a big chance

Old
07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I've seen Vinny around Mtl quite a few times during summer. I doubt someone with no affinity would go out in the Old Port and downtown during the off season.

Mtl is his native city where he lived for his youth, and where it all started, he will always have some affinity for it.
I'm quite sure he loves the city but that does not necessarily mean be wants to play hockey there.

Anyhow, if we do manage to sign him, let's package him to Tampa for Marty St. Louis! hehe

Old
07-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I'm quite sure he loves the city but that does not necessarily mean be wants to play hockey there.

Anyhow, if we do manage to sign him, let's package him to Tampa for Marty St. Louis! hehe
Not sure if serious.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:57 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Not sure if serious.
No emoticons on my phone. That's why I added the "hehe"

Old
07-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

I was using Crosby as an example. When he was young he was a die hard Habs fan, and recently he said that he doesn't care for Montreal at all anymore. He spend his whole career elsewhere so Montreal doesn't mean anything to him.

Maybe Vinny loves Montreal but I don't see how he can still like the team.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Saintpatrick

I don't see him signing here and on the fence about the issue. Vinny is still a decent player but frankly I'd rather give more ice time to Galchenyuk, use Eller on the 2nd line and develop our youth. We need a d-man more than Vinny and the available cap space should be used for that.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I don't see him signing here and on the fence about the issue. Vinny is still a decent player but frankly I'd rather give more ice time to Galchenyuk, use Eller on the 2nd line and develop our youth. We need a d-man more than Vinny and the available cap space should be used for that.
100% agree with this. Problem is the D market is so thin. To what point do you fill needs no matter what, and what point do you adjust to the market? I suspect that the few average dmen available will be so expensive this offseason that it might be more efficient to pick up a good forward.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
DD compliance buyout on 29 teams? Are you joking? Most absurd statement I've read all day. Even Grabovski hasn't been bought out and utter ***** now 16 points last season plus $5.5M for another 4 years plus he's older).

Try search Desharnais value into Google before making such statement.
I watched him play every game last year and he came up short in most of them, compliance buyout sounds harsh but I would use it on him over kaberle who has one year left and at least is a serviceable 7th d while DD is virtually useless.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:36 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I was using Crosby as an example. When he was young he was a die hard Habs fan, and recently he said that he doesn't care for Montreal at all anymore. He spend his whole career elsewhere so Montreal doesn't mean anything to him.

Maybe Vinny loves Montreal but I don't see how he can still like the team.
I lived in Montreal for years and I can tell you that to kids that grow up there, the Habs are a religion...you may grow up and move away, learn to love some other place that you call home, but you never lose that mythical wonder whenever you return...it's bred into them, like Christianity...

Old
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
sheed36

I just hope Lecavalier chooses a team really quickly and this doesn't turn into Shane Doan version 2.0 and drag on all summer.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
I lived in Montreal for years and I can tell you that to kids that grow up there, the Habs are a religion...you may grow up and move away, learn to love some other place that you call home, but you never lose that mythical wonder whenever you return...it's bred into them, like Christianity...
That might have been true years ago, but I don't think it's quite the same with the younger generation now. When I first started visiting Montreal in the 70's, early 80's, it was quite rare to see anyone wearing anything but Habs related merchandise. I was in Montreal in January, and I was amazed at how many kids wore jerseys, t-shirts, hats etc... from other NHL teams.

I'm not going to argue though that the Habs are a religion to a great many Montrealers. Though the numbers don't seem to be quite as high as they were in the past. Just my humble opinion though.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingBullet View Post
That might have been true years ago, but I don't think it's quite the same with the younger generation now. When I first started visiting Montreal in the 70's, early 80's, it was quite rare to see anyone wearing anything but Habs related merchandise. I was in Montreal in January, and I was amazed at how many kids wore jerseys, t-shirts, hats etc... from other NHL teams.

I'm not going to argue though that the Habs are a religion to a great many Montrealers. Though the numbers don't seem to be quite as high as they were in the past. Just my humble opinion though.
A Stanley cup will fix that for you

Old
07-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Laboeuf

The team would benefit having 3 very good centers:

Pacioretty-Lecavalier-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Moen-White-Desharnais (until traded)

Old
07-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
A Stanley cup will fix that for you
Good answer!

Old
07-01-2013, 11:53 PM
25get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
If Vinny doesn't sign here, I will hate him. Bergevin saying that they have high interest in him puts it all on Vinny.
Not so sure about that.
Bergevin has expressed interest but from what I see, it is not so high.

Martin McGuire thinks that Habs are more interested in Briere.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Jake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
The team would benefit having 3 very good centers:

Pacioretty-Lecavalier-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Moen-White-Desharnais (until traded)

I'd try Desharnais on Vinny's RW, put Gallagher with Galchenyuk and Eller, and put Prust on the 4th line. That would be a very solid forward lineup in my opinion

Old
07-02-2013, 12:22 AM
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake5 View Post
I'd try Desharnais on Vinny's RW, put Gallagher with Galchenyuk and Eller, and put Prust on the 4th line. That would be a very solid forward lineup in my opinion
This. GEG would be a great 2nd line and Plekanec and Co. would be a great third line.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Not so sure about that.
Bergevin has expressed interest but from what I see, it is not so high.

Martin McGuire thinks that Habs are more interested in Briere.
Montreal fans will boo him opening night in a Habs uni..lol
Maybe back to Buffalo..lol

Old
07-02-2013, 12:24 AM
DanltQC

I would take Vinny 10 out of 10 times before Briere

Old
07-02-2013, 12:54 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I watched him play every game last year and he came up short in most of them, compliance buyout sounds harsh but I would use it on him over kaberle who has one year left and at least is a serviceable 7th d while DD is virtually useless.
Okay. You are perhaps the only person on Hfboards from any teams who believes this. In the value of DD thread, other teams fans were saying 2nd rounder + a good prospect. And you're saying no value? Like a Scott Gomez.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1388967&page=3

As for Montreal v. Tampa, Montreal is considered the 22nd best city to live in the world. Tampa wouldn't even make the top 100.

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-da...#axzz2XreHv7EA

Old
07-02-2013, 04:53 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Okay. You are perhaps the only person on Hfboards from any teams who believes this. In the value of DD thread, other teams fans were saying 2nd rounder + a good prospect. And you're saying no value? Like a Scott Gomez.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1388967&page=3

As for Montreal v. Tampa, Montreal is considered the 22nd best city to live in the world. Tampa wouldn't even make the top 100.

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-da...#axzz2XreHv7EA
DD can still rack up the points and make the play. I just don't think Therrien's style of coaching advantages him as a centre, as opposed to Jacque Martin's.

I keep saying it: Patch-Lecavalier-DD would be a mean offensive 2nd line. Lecavalier is a tough sob when it comes to puck possession.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I know some will whine and come back with the "I knew he wouldn't come here" if VL signs elswhere, but at some point there needs to be a number and an amount of yaers where you won't pay more. The Habs can't afford to give VL an albatross contract if they want to try and win a cup the next 5 years. There are a ton of guys that will need raises, so getting in a bidding war for him is a bad idea. I think he has 2-3 good years left(at 50-60 points over 70-75 games), if you sign him for 5-6 years at over 5 mil cap hit, you're just asking for trouble.

Remember Brad Richards? Are we better off having NOT signed him? How about Briere?

Old
07-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post

Churches in Quebec are closing faster than Rona locations.

Closed Thread