HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 11:49 AM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
FWIW

Yahoo sports has Vinny going to
detroit at 3/1
the Habs at 20/1

Old
07-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

*clears throat

Ok, now I'm ready

Old
07-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
I hope he's prepared to be the new arch-villain in all of Quebec if he signs with the Leafs.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
So what's the deal here for most of these UFA's? They can agree on a deal as early as tomorrow but only make it official on Friday?

Old
07-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
I’m preparing myself for the bad news that he won’t sign here. If that does happen then I won’t be disappointed. If he ends up signing with the Habs, I’m buying my second Habs jersey for the season.
To me it's not necessarily bad news...unless he signs somewhere else for 5 years and 20 mil or at least less than the habs offer. Then I'd know he was scared of pressure. If what he said about having a chip on his shoulder after the buyout is true, then he should embrace the pressure and want to prove TB wrong instead of going for the easy money or non hockey market.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I hope he's prepared to be the new arch-villain in all of Quebec if he signs with the Leafs.
If he goes there, I guess it will mean he was after the money and only the money. I mean, he could end up being hated in both Toronto (if he plays bad) AND Montreal (regardless).

Old
07-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
FWIW

Yahoo sports has Vinny going to
detroit at 3/1
the Habs at 20/1
You been to a horse races eh...the 3 to 1 isnt guarentted winner....

Unless Detroit gives him 5 years,which the rumour is they do want too(2-3 yrs),then how can you rank Detroit so high?

They rank Dallas 4 to 1? Vinny said to Nashville gm he stayiin in EAST....so take the odds from Puckdaddy/yahoo, for what there worth...

Old
07-02-2013, 11:56 AM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
If we don't have cap-room for a talented 6'4" centre with playoff experience at 5m, then I expect Gionta to be on the first greyhound out of town.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
You been tomhore races eh...the 3 to 1 isnt guarentted winner....

Unless Detroit give him 5 years,which the rumour is they do want too,then how can you rank Detroit so high?
Yahoo Sports is out to lunch, I read the whole damned thing and more than half of it makes little to no sense. It's all ******** and it's bad for ya.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:58 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
*clears throat

Ok, now I'm ready
I need to bookmark this.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
"Does he go to Montreal for emotional reasons (cause it's not financial reasons)...or does he go to a non-traditional market which is all he's known/he's comfortable with?"

it's comments like these from "hockey insiders" that remind us that these insiders are not much more than fans who were obsessed enough to make a career out of doing what we do around here.

"not financial reasons"... only a very short-sighted person would be blind to the huge financial opportunity a french canadian top-line offensive talent like Lecavalier would have playing in a hockey mad french canadian market like montreal.

Quote:
Like i said earlier,Vinny likley stays on eastside of Nhl....so forget Dallas,Calgary and west teams etc..

The marketing potential for Vinny in Toronto. Or Detroit vs Montrealis night vs day...Vinny could take a little less to come here,and make huge endoresment money,huge..you dont get that in Detroit ...if your gesring up for retirment ,max your potential...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Meh, the only argument against MTL is pressure IMO. He can make much more with endorsements here than anywhere in the league unless the 'Yotes move to Québec City. So unless a team overpays by 1-2M/year, I don't think it's that wise of a move if money is the motivation.
exactly.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:59 AM
AntonCH

Quote:
You been to a horse races eh...the 3 to 1 isnt guarentted winner....

Unless Detroit gives him 5 years,which the rumour is they do want too,then how can you rank Detroit so high?

They rsnk Dallas 4 to 1? Vinny said to Nashville gm he stayiin in EAST....so that the odds from Puckdaddy for what there worth...
I must admit I've never been to the 'ho races, but you have piqued my curiosity, I'm in!!
As for Vinny, I've stated it before I'll state it again, the Habs are not for him.

As for yahoo sports, check their site they give reasoning for all odds thru to 30/1

Old
07-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
I must admit I've never been to the 'ho races, but you have piqued my curiosity, I'm in!!
As for Vinny, I've stated it before I'll state it again, the Habs are not for him.

As for yahoo sports, check their site they give reasoning for all odds thru to 30/1
No i read the odds article, and why is Dallas 4-1 when Vinny says he wants to play in east?Already a failboat article

Vinny would pick Toronto over Montreal..less pressure there eh?ya right

Less pressure in Philly?was they booing the pants off Briere there or what?yes they was

Last edited by Habaneros: 07-02-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old
07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
havok78

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m

Yes, playing East is a factor for Lecavalier, but not the only factor. Dallas is still in the mix.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok78 View Post
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m

Yes, playing East is a factor for Lecavalier, but not the only factor. Dallas is still in the mix.
Makes a lot of sense...lol

East is a factor,but not the only factor.....ya ok..so to decode that message, he really prefers east.but .if east doesnt give him money he wants,west will do..lol

MONEY and TERM is the factor...

My bet is no Dallas,unless the east wont pay him.
I still dont get how you consider goin to a team who missed playoffs 5 yrs straight...

Old
07-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
If we don't have cap-room for a talented 6'4" centre with playoff experience at 5m, then I expect Gionta to be on the first greyhound out of town.
It's not just about cap room, at some point you have to draw a line. You're getting a good player, not a star or a superstar. You're paying for a 50-60 point guy that's 6'4" with a cup ring. Yes he has good value but at some point not far from a 5 mil cap hit is starts to be too much, same for more than 5 years. It's not about HAVING the cap room it's about USING IT WISELY so you can possibly win a cup...not just make the bipoilar fans happy for 4-6 months.

I'm pretty sure Gionta uses planes.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense...lol

East is a factor,but not the only factor.....ya ok..so to decode that message, he really prefers east.but .if east doesnt give him money he wants,west will do..lol

MONEY and TERM is the factor...
Wholeheartedly agree
As most others it comes down to dollars and years
Who are we kidding? This is a business, Why collect a combined 7 million a year for 4 years when you can collect 8 million a year for 5 years!!
regardless of his last contract Vinny and his agent have a number and term in their heads, the ones that pony up will be the ones that are considered

Old
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray said the Ducks withdrew from the Vincent Lecavalier sweepstakes.
The Ducks were apparently on Lecavalier's list of desired destinations, but the reported price tag of $25 million over five years was enough to scare Murray away. "I was told we were on (his list of) interest and then I inquired about what exactly they were looking for as far as term and the money situation," Murray said. "When I got to the bottom of that, we couldn't get in the ball game."

Possible takeaway is Vinny's wife and kids want sun not slush.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
More like Plekanec, Gionta has heart, unlike those Euro ice dancers that disappear in the playoffs.

We can't move our captain, he's almost as valuable as Boullion.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree
Who are we kidding? This is a business, Why collect a combine 7 million a year for 4 years when you can collect 8 million a year for 5 years!!
regardless of his last contract Vinny and his agent have a number and term in their heads, the ones that pony up will be the ones that are considered
If VL has half a brain, he knows he has a huge windfall coming from TB over the next 43 years and money shouldn't be a big worry. Sure he wants to get paid, but in his shoes I'd want a place I was happy and thought I could win also. Dallas is none of those things. Phillie their goaltending and Holmgren as a GM are two huge red flags. There are others...

Old
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
We can't move our captain, he's almost as valuable as Boullion.
Ouch.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree
Who are we kidding? This is a business, Why collect a combine 7 million a year for 4 years when you can collect 8 million a year for 5 years!!

I offer you $500 an hour to sip Champagne while judging beauty contests. Someone else offers you $600 an hour to wear Don Cherry's shorts on your face while mopping floors in a slaughterhouse.

So it's Don's shorts is it?

Guys money isn't everything.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Ouch.
in the "heart" department, Bouillon and Gionta are pretty high ranked

not talking about talent here, just heart

Old
07-02-2013, 12:29 PM
prairie hab

Dallas is being used here. Vinny could recoup what he falls short of in salary with endorsement opportunities in Mtl. He likely wants to go to a contender which to me means Detroit, and Philly are getting his attention.

If Bergevin can clearly convince Lecavalier that Mtl can be a contender with him in the fold, then the Habs chances improve in terms of acquiring him.

Right now I say Detroit gets him.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
I mean if Vinny is really way more worried about term than money, why offer him a 3-year contract if that's really the case. Test Lecavalier and offer him the term he wants in 5 years.....but give him 4 M$ and nothing more. Giving him 5 M$ or 5,5 M$ for 3 years won't cut it for him as it's not SUPPOSE to be what he wants. We'll see about that. But somehow, I feel that Bergevin is solely offering him something to show that he's offering him something....And if on top of that he knows that Vinny doesn't want that pressure...well everything is there to not see that signing happen.

Closed Thread