Notices

Rumoured Proposal On Table

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2005, 01:53 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Rumoured Proposal On Table

According to Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail, there is a rumour that the following proposal is on the table:

"That one Western Conference team is discreetly floating a proposal at the governors' level that would see the NHL's ambitious re-launch feature a massive redistribution of player talent around the league. The theory goes something like this: If there's a new economic order anyway, then every team should have the ability to protect between five-and-seven players from its current reserve list and everybody else goes into a giant rotisserie-style pool. The teams would then re-draft the remaining 500 or so players, theoretically, adding more balance to the league. "

How would you feel about re-manning the team after the first top five players? What a great day it would be for those in the moving business. I could really see the Oilers getting behind a proposal like that.

Last edited by abracanada: 06-05-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old
06-05-2005, 02:02 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
According to Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail, there is a rumour that the following proposal is on the table:

"That one Western Conference team is discreetly floating a proposal at the governors' level that would see the NHL's ambitious re-launch feature a massive redistribution of player talent around the league. The theory goes something like this: If there's a new economic order anyway, then every team should have the ability to protect between five-and-seven players from its current reserve list and everybody else goes into a giant rotisserie-style pool. The teams would then re-draft the remaining 500 or so players, theoretically, adding more balance to the league. "

How would you feel about re-manning the team after the first top five players? What a great day it would be for those in the moving business. I could really see the Oilers getting behind a proposal like that.
I don't think the Oilers would like that idea at all. They lose a solid prospect depth plus they have a decent NHL team, which could be a playoff team with 1 or 2 UFA additions in the offseason. It would hurt the Oilers more than help them. If anything, it helps the older teams lacking prospect depth..ie TO, Detroit, etc.

Old
06-05-2005, 02:08 PM
abracanada

I could really see it benefitting teams with connections in the league, and who had done their homework. (I think Sutter would be in that group). And then you add the potential for drafts? It sure would create a buzz around the re-start of the league.

Old
06-05-2005, 02:26 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
I could really see it benefitting teams with connections in the league, and who had done their homework. (I think Sutter would be in that group). And then you add the potential for drafts? It sure would create a buzz around the re-start of the league.
I think it's a bad idea. It takes away all the hard work done by creative GMs and top notch scouting over the last few years. It also puts many players lives on hold as well. Think about the # of players who will have to move their families, etc because of an idea like this. Factor in a total crap shoot for team chemistry that has been built for years in many oraganizations and it seems useless.

Why hurt the teams that have made smart decisions and did their homework in scouting over the last years for the good of teams that have been stupid? Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Old
06-05-2005, 02:40 PM
abracanada

Or, it could be an opportunity for smart teams with good scouts to stock their team for years to come. It would also create some excitement about hockey in cities that will have a hard time warming up to the game when it returns. Anticipation and the belief that they have a chance might stir up some interest. That plus the potential to add some big names. I would imagine there would be a lot of surprises about players who would be made available.

I wasn't too excited about the prospect of dismantling the Flames when I first saw the proposal, but if everyone is on an even footing, and if it is for the good of the game, it may not be so bad.

Old
06-05-2005, 02:53 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Or, it could be an opportunity for smart teams with good scouts to stock their team for years to come.
Smart teams with good scouts already have a good prospect system/pool established. This basically corrects the wrongs made by poor decisions and management.

Old
06-05-2005, 02:59 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Smart teams with good scouts already have a good prospect system/pool established. This basically corrects the wrongs made by poor decisions and management.
That is true, but it may be the only way to establish interest in cities where mismanagement has ruined the game. The disinterest in the game is something the NHL is going to have to deal with at any rate.

Old
06-05-2005, 03:27 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
That is true, but it may be the only way to establish interest in cities where mismanagement has ruined the game. The disinterest in the game is something the NHL is going to have to deal with at any rate.
Naw, this isn;t the only way. Good business men find a way to market a team. A new drafted team does not equal success. Many of these cities should not even have a hockey team because it is a bad market.

Old
06-05-2005, 03:33 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Naw, this isn;t the only way. Good business men find a way to market a team. A new drafted team does not equal success. Many of these cities should not even have a hockey team because it is a bad market.
LOL - you are right. It is not the ONLY way. But it is A way. And it is something that needs to be addressed if you are a partner in what is known as the NHL.

Old
06-05-2005, 03:51 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
LOL - you are right. It is not the ONLY way. But it is A way. And it is something that needs to be addressed if you are a partner in what is known as the NHL.
This makes no sense. It gives away you competitive advantage, something all business try to hold onto.

Old
06-05-2005, 04:08 PM
machine_head_2002

kind of a strange idea but just for kicks i would protect,

Iginla
Kiprusoff
Leopold
Regehr
Phaneuf

Langkow
Kobasew

Guys I would try to add/reaquire: Nilson, Fisher, Davison

Old
06-05-2005, 04:10 PM
abracanada

Quote:
This makes no sense. It gives away you competitive advantage, something all business try to hold onto.
But you are equating winning hockey with profitability. Those concepts are foreign in places like TO or New York. The competitive advantage New York has, is the population around them. They will not lose that advantage.

The concentration of talent, in certain centers where they have a lot of money, does nothing for parity in the league. That lack of talent in the smaller centers, resulted in teams, like the Devils, developing the trap, or others such as New England, going broke.

If the game were to become more universally attractive, and the networks in the US picked it up and paid for the game the way they do football or basketball, that would be advantageous to all of the teams in the league. An approach where the game is more competitive in more markets, would be one way to boost interest. If you look at Tampa Bay, they have little interest in hockey, unless they have a competitive team. A major dispersal draft would create the belief, in many more cities that they could be competitive. It would also help to develop a more offensive approach to the game.

I am not saying this is the panacea that will save hockey in the southern US, but an interesting idea that has some merit worth considering.

Old
06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine_head_2002
kind of a strange idea but just for kicks i would protect,

Iginla
Kiprusoff
Leopold
Regehr
Phaneuf

Langkow
Kobasew

Guys I would try to add/reaquire: Nilson, Fisher, Davison
Who is Fisher or Davison?

Old
06-05-2005, 04:17 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
But you are equating winning hockey with profitability. Those concepts are foreign in places like TO or New York. The competitive advantage New York has, is the population around them. They will not lose that advantage.
Population is not a "serious" advantage. If that was the case why not have an NHL team in China. When a small majority of the population watches hockey it means jack. Many people in large US popultaions couldn't even tell you what a "puck" is made out of or what color it is.

Old
06-05-2005, 04:29 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Population is not a "serious" advantage. If that was the case why not have an NHL team in China. When a small majority of the population watches hockey it means jack. Many people in large US popultaions couldn't even tell you what a "puck" is made out of or what color it is.
The point I am trying to make, is winning has nothing to do with business. If it did, TO would not be as rich as it is.

Burger Baron makes better burgers than McDonalds - so what? If you are a businessman, which franchise would you rather have?

Another old business lexicon - sell the sizzle, not the steak. If they believe they can win it all, they will come.

Last edited by abracanada: 06-05-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old
06-05-2005, 04:41 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
The point I am trying to make, is winning has nothing to do with business. If it did, TO would not be as rich as it is.

Burger Baron makes better burgers than McDonalds - so what? If you are a businessman, which franchise would you rather have?

Another old business lexicon - sell the sizzle, not the steak. If they believe they can win it all, they will come.
You got to be kidding if winning has nothing to do with business. Look at the Flames last year. The Flames started winning, attendance went up and the Flames made mroe money. Now look at the losing teams vs winning teams...revenues are higher and so is attendance.

Old
06-05-2005, 04:50 PM
abracanada

Quote:
You got to be kidding if winning has nothing to do with business. Look at the Flames last year. The Flames started winning, attendance went up and the Flames made mroe money. Now look at the losing teams vs winning teams...revenues are higher and so is attendance.
Winning is one aspect of making money, but not the only one. Would you like to have revenues for the Flames last year, or the Rangers?

Closed Thread