HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Why is the KHL destroying European Hockey?

Old
06-28-2013, 11:21 AM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
I kinda agree, there won't be a champion in the KHL other than Russian Oligarchs or SKA...once ska is the champion 2-3 times would suffice Medvedev, some other teams may get a chance, but I am pretty sure CSKA will be pushed to win 1-2-3 as well. How is Slovan, Jokerit, Lev to compete with teams where budgets are 5-6 times theirs? and if needed an extra envelope or two are passed the right way....

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
I'm not saying the KHL should be a player development league and I fully support foreign players playing in the KHL. But I don't see much benefit for Russian hockey for further foreign expansion.
It`s not Russian hockey league its Kontinental hockey league,`nuff said.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Basically, KHL is kinda ruining traditional league system in Europe, but trying to say they are ruining European hockey as such is flat out ridiculous.
Well European hockey/sports is always focused on developing players via their own junior systems/clubs. With diluted leagues, the players will face inferior competition and won't develop as well.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:23 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Well European hockey/sports is always focused on developing players via their own junior systems/clubs. With diluted leagues, the players will face inferior competition and won't develop as well.
Jussi an honest question to you,as Jokerit fan,will you keep supporting the team in KHL?

Old
06-28-2013, 11:24 AM
GlobeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I kinda agree, there won't be a champion in the KHL other than Russian Oligarchs or SKA...once ska is the champion 2-3 times would suffice Medvedev, some other teams may get a chance, but I am pretty sure CSKA will be pushed to win 1-2-3 as well. How is Slovan, Jokerit, Lev to compete with teams where budgets are 5-6 times theirs? and if needed an extra envelope or two are passed the right way....
You write perfect post. We will never have chance to compete with money teams, we are just going to be side show that no one will care about just like Slovan and Lev and whoever else will be invaded in future. If league had even competition then maybe it's interesting but only handful of teams in one hand can compete. Disparity between teams is to great in this league.

GlobeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeHockey View Post
You write perfect post. We will never have chance to compete with money teams, we are just going to be side show that no one will care about just like Slovan and Lev and whoever else will be invaded in future. If league had even competition then maybe it's interesting but only handful of teams in one hand can compete. Disparity between teams is to great in this league.
I agree with this. I also hate, that CSKA now is building a team from money hungry veteran has beens and lost all of it's star-pupil to NA...I want an even keel league, but it is not possible in today's world...I mean there has to be disparity in Finnish league as well, just not to a KHL extent.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
GlobeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Jussi an honest question to you,as Jokerit fan,will you keep supporting the team in KHL?
I would rather move away then support other teams. Its team of my grand father, father and now I. But I will not feel emotionally involved I think as much, I do not care about Russian teams, whereas as the rivalries we have with SM Liiga is forever, games will almost be meaningless in khl, but I forever support.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I doubt it very heavily. It won't be the club I "fell in love" with anymore.

Last edited by Jussi: 06-28-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:30 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I would rather move away then support other teams. Its team of my grand father, father and now I.
So you are one of those "hardcore" fans. Too bad i cant say the same about my teams fans. Ugh we once were the best fans in the world,now its just a myth..

Old
06-28-2013, 11:31 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I doubt it very heavily. It won't be club I "fell in love" with anymore.
Fair enough,so how will you get your hockey dose? NHL?

Old
06-28-2013, 11:32 AM
GlobeHockey

Quote:
Yes, that's a good term to use. This is the team we grew up with and now it's taken from us, that's the feeling...

Old
06-28-2013, 11:33 AM
GlobeHockey

Quote:
So you are one of those "hardcore" fans. Too bad i cant say the same about my teams fans. Ugh we once were the best fans in the world,now its just a myth..
Best fans in World? No, Montreal is best, I have traveled to both Riga and Montreal and Montreal is first, then Riga I would say. Yes, I am hardcore fan, but I don't know how my loyalty will be when the season commences. It will be different, like never before, it's really a shame.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:34 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Best fans in World? No, Montreal is best, I have traveled to both Riga and Montreal and Montreal is first, then Riga I would say.
I was refferring to Latvian fans as a whole.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
What I remember you are not from Helsinki area? so maybe it's easier to let the team go then.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:35 AM
seeep

imo Donbass or Lev can win GC in next few seasons ...

if MVD and Atlant was in GC's final, so it's not impossible at all

seeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:35 AM
GlobeHockey

Quote:
I was refferring to Latvian fans as a whole.
Ohhh okay , yes then I agree, I thought you meant for club. Sorry.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:37 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Ohhh okay , yes then I agree, I thought you meant for club. Sorry.
Most Riga fans are just there for entertainment,i know a bunch people who go to hockey just because its cool,although they dont even have a clue about what goes on on the ice.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:38 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I agree as well. But if we look at KHL in long term, and I mean loooong term. The money in places like Magnitogorsk, or Khanty-Mansiysk will eventually run out, and most of the teams in un-sustainable places will die off. I hope by that time teams in sustainable places (for example - Helsinki, Moscow, Yaroslavl, Bratislava, heck any reasonably wealthy European city with diverse economy) will be strong enough to keep the league of a very high standard still.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:39 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Jussi wrote

true, developing... but if the club want to be a "developing club", there must a club which will pay money for developing the player. This is NOT in hockey because of IIHF rules. Look, kids at 15/16 yrs leaving czech/slovak clubs to join swedish/finnish clubs - FOR FREE. The same scenario with Finns/Swedes leaving to CHL - FOR FREE.

The same with players above 18, leaving for free, leaving to NHL for minimal fee which does not cover developing. How can be a club in profit?

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:40 AM
GlobeHockey

Quote:
Most Riga fans are just there for entertainment,i know a bunch people who go to hockey just because its cool,although they dont even have a clue about what goes on on the ice.
I think there are fans like such everywhere. But the atmosphere in the arena when Dinamo is playing is incredible , you must say this! It was so much fun attending the game, I still have not forgotten my time witnessing the passion of the fans!

Old
06-28-2013, 11:43 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I think there are fans like such everywhere. But the atmosphere in the arena when Dinamo is playing is incredible , you must say this! It was so much fun attending the game, I still have not forgotten my time witnessing the passion of the fans!
Well the hardcore fans from the 90`s that give the latvian fans such good rep,is what you are reffering to.
Also if we take wc for example,its not hockey celebration in Latvia as it used to be,its just not and that is sad.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:46 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
I'll leave this here as well. Every single so called Jokerit fan who will give up on the team just because the club is not favorite to take the main trophy anymore is not a real fan.

The team is not getting disbanded, folks! Embrace this as a new beginning! Now you will have a chance to attract better foreigners, kids will have bigger stars to look up to, and when the glory, as unlikely and far away it right now seems, it will be glorious.

Against all odds.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:49 AM
GlobeHockey

Quote:
I'll leave this here as well. Every single so called Jokerit fan who will give up on the team just because the club is not favorite to take the main trophy anymore is not a real fan.

The team is not getting disbanded, folks! Embrace this as a new beginning! Now you will have a chance to attract better foreigners, kids will have bigger stars to look up to, and when the glory, as unlikely and far away it right now seems, it will be glorious.

Against all odds.
I am a youngster right now, I hope I will not look like him when we win championship in khl, but from the sounds of it, I might.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:51 AM
PhillyPhinn

What our "brothers" from the east/south don't get, is that we have ZERO interest or "general knowledge" about russian hockey. Yes, Latvia had it's own teams during the Soviet era, and Czechoslovakia wasn't even part of the Soviet Union, but the Iron Curtain still led to those countries/cultures being more aware about what is happening in Russia, and with russian hockey. In Finland there is NOTHING that connects us with russian hockey.

Even though we have a long border, most hockey fans here are 1) not interested in russian hockey in any large degree, and 2) not knowledgeable about Russia as a whole. I have a latvian fried, who is an ethnic latvian with major "issues" about Russia and russians, but still he knows and follows(and has done so all his life) what happens in russian hockey, and knows the history, rivalries, customs and culture. We finns are completely oblivious to everything relating to russia, pretty much none of our native population speaks russian, and most importantly, has no interest in doing so. The russian league, it's teams, it's culture, is completely foreign to 99,9999% of finns, and we as a whole have no interest in being part of it.

A lot of eastern European fans, on this forum and elsewhere, are moaning about the NHL taking the best players and there needing to be some counter force to it, but most finns, and I'd guess swedes too, don't think like that. I don't care that the SM-liiga isn't the best, or the 2nd best league in the world, and I don't care that the most talented finns play in the NHL. I care about my team, and that it does well in the finnish league system. Yes, level of play is important to a degree, but what makes the SM-liiga important to me is that it's finnish, not that it's the best. When I want to see the best, I watch the NHL, when I want to see "my league", I watch the SM-liiga. When I want to see the best, I watch the Champions League, when I want to see "my league", I watch the Veikkausliiga(finnish football league). I don't want to sell history and all our traditions just so my team can play in a league that is COMPLETELY foreign and unimportant to most finns(me included)

PhillyPhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:52 AM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:

Against all odds.
Would that Wigan fan be screaming if that game was against Borussia Dortmund and Wigan played in the Bundesliga? No, the stands would be half-empty, and he'd be crying in his local pub remembering the days when Wigan still played in England.....

PhillyPhinn is offline   Reply With Quote