HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating on the outside edges...

Old
06-28-2013, 02:42 PM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
Skating on the outside edges...

I admit, this is probably an obvious and dumb question, but oh well.

Is it possible to skate on your left foot only and make a left hand turn on your inside edge?

I am really trying to learn to use my outside edges and trust those edges so I have been working on first skating straight lines(not bending toward the inside edge) and now working on making wide outside loops on one foot. I am wondering though, if I am really still on that inside edge somehow or if I am truly on that outside edge when I do these turns.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Malarowski

You would be scraping hard, but you can't really make a turn to the outside while on an inside edge.

Actually the more I think about it, the more unsure do I get about it. You'd have to be in a weird stance to do this.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
McDugan

Trying to imagine in my mind's eye... you might be able to make a ridiculously wide, very slow, gliding turn... but that's about it, if at all.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:02 PM
AntsSheffield

The rocker of the blade is curved so that's the curve you follow when you're tilted over onto that edge. There's no way you can skate a curve away from the outside of your foot on your inside edge.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
I admit, this is probably an obvious and dumb question, but oh well.

Is it possible to skate on your left foot only and make a left hand turn on your inside edge?

I am really trying to learn to use my outside edges and trust those edges so I have been working on first skating straight lines(not bending toward the inside edge) and now working on making wide outside loops on one foot. I am wondering though, if I am really still on that inside edge somehow or if I am truly on that outside edge when I do these turns.
If you're turning left, using only your left skate, you can pretty much bet you're using your outside edge. You should feet the bite. When in doubt, go with a deeper angle. Eventually, you'll probably feel where you slow down going into the turn vs. being able to maintain your momentum.

If you find your skate slipping, you're probably too shallow and you're more on the flat of the blade. Being on the inside edge, of your inside skate, during a turn would be really, really awkward. It might also mean your ankles are turned out, which is a good way to injure yourself. If you're riding more on the middle to the rear 1/3 of your blade, you should be in good shape. That's where you let the curve of the blade do the work, and carry you into the turn.

06-28-2013, 04:55 PM
mistrhanky

Well, it is definitely a wide slow turn at this point, but at least it sounds like I have to be on the proper edge to execute this. As a big, tall, older guy with stiff knees, trusting that edge is a process, but at least is sounds like I am working in the right direction.

When I try to power turn and get that left skate to do the work(I tend to just let that back foot do all the work on the inside edge -- that is the bad habit I am trying to relearn my way out of), I am getting some chatter on that left skate. Is that because I am too far to the front of the blade or just not leaning into it enough? I admit I do not think about where I put the weight on the blade much. I assume I make it tougher on my self by trying to make that turn without focusing on putting my weight to the back of the skate?

Old
06-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
Well, it is definitely a wide slow turn at this point, but at least it sounds like I have to be on the proper edge to execute this. As a big, tall, older guy with stiff knees, trusting that edge is a process, but at least is sounds like I am working in the right direction.

When I try to power turn and get that left skate to do the work(I tend to just let that back foot do all the work on the inside edge -- that is the bad habit I am trying to relearn my way out of), I am getting some chatter on that left skate. Is that because I am too far to the front of the blade or just not leaning into it enough? I admit I do not think about where I put the weight on the blade much. I assume I make it tougher on my self by trying to make that turn without focusing on putting my weight to the back of the skate?
That would be my guess. You don't want chatter. You should feel a clean and consistent bite. Lean the skate a bit harder, and focus on getting your weight further back on your blade. Use the curve on your blade. Learning to trust your edges is definitely a work in progress, but it's essential to skating.

You're also going to want to work on your knees a bit. Get comfortable with a nice, deep knee bend. That's an important part of using your edges, and getting power in your stride. It will also help you build up strength in your legs, because let's face it, skating uses your muscles in different ways than, say, walking or running.

Getting out of your comfort zone is a must. Find that point where you're comfortable, and push a little past. It may help to wear some of your gear, because falling is part of the process.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:57 AM
ktang

Congrats on getting to your outside edge. This will open up a whole new range of other techniques for you.

ktang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:36 AM
AntsSheffield

Have you started on crossovers yet? Those are definitely good for working the o/s edge. Get on a faceoff circle and keep going round, both directions. Then full rink, building up to a good speed and feel those edges round the bends. Also, outside edge drills where you crossover one side then the other.

I'm spending the best part of an hour or so at public skates doing this lately.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

With left foot only and turning left, that will be your outside edge. Not really possible or even useful to try the inside edge in that situation IMO. I really like working on edges and it's very useful though. Work each edge on each leg up and down the ice, you'll get really good balance.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:00 PM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
Have you started on crossovers yet? Those are definitely good for working the o/s edge. Get on a faceoff circle and keep going round, both directions. Then full rink, building up to a good speed and feel those edges round the bends. Also, outside edge drills where you crossover one side then the other.

I'm spending the best part of an hour or so at public skates doing this lately.
I can do a decent crossover to my left, but that is the only place I have much confidence in it so far. Going to my right is still a work in progress. The bigger driver for me is to be able to crossover backward. I am a D man and once they figure out that you can't make that move, a half decent forward really starts to own you. Hell, I could own me:-) But, I have to really trust that edge to start to learn that back cross. I have been working on one foot circles to the outsides, and lots of russian walks. I tried putting more weight to the back and trying to make sure I bend my knees more. I can certainly feel the difference in it. More and more reps, but slow reps still. I am trying to work on getting the form right rather than going to fast or agressive yet.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What helped for me was working on one leg at a time, one edge at a time, forwards and backwards.

Like this:

Doing that builds strength and teaches balance which is HUGE for hockey.

Another thing that helped me was focusing on get a powerful drive on all those edges. You don't just want to glide on the edge, you want to be able to cut and dig into the ice and generate power. When you do a cut on an edge, you want a good knee bend and hear the blade really digging into the ice. Once you can do that and then alternate legs, that's a crossover, and you can actually accelerate on turns.

It's been a while since I've done this and of course for me one side is stronger so I really ought to get out there and work this winter...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Just a note on Jarick's youtube video(which, I think, are some of the best drills you can practice for basic edge control):

Start slow. Technique, control, and balance is more important in that drill than speed. When you can do it at a slow pace, while maintaining balance and control, then you can start speeding up; but do it while maintaining good technique. Speed, too quickly, can lead to sloppy technique and bad habits.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:16 PM
mistrhanky

Thanks for all the advice. Unlearning bad habits is a lot harder than learning the right ones. Time to put some gear on and do the work.