HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak to the Flyers?

Old
06-30-2013, 12:22 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
Army said explicitly that he is not going after Miller.
My post didn't convey my thoughts about that very clearly. What I mean is:
I could live with running Elliott/Allen IF that means Halak's money significant upgrades the offense (a true 1C materializes or some other combination of upgrades that have a similar impact). With the strong defensive core, I think the Blues could make average to above average goaltending look a hell of a lot better than it really is. The Hawks won a Cup (maybe two) doing this (definitely with Niemi). Detroit has done this several post-seasons (Osgood?).

It just depends how the saved money is spent.

I also wouldn't be shocked (despite Strickland's comment, which I had not hear) if another goalie is part of the equation at some point. Miller is an obvious option (though I bet he lands somewhere pretty soon). The fact that there was apparently a deal in principle to get him at the trade deadline that went off the table when Halak got re-injured means there was some level of interest in him.

But if they are cooling their interest there and still looking to move Halak, maybe that says everything about what the front office thinks of Halak and a lot less about their thoughts on Miller.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:44 AM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Well I guess that means we have officially set our sites on Luongo.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:00 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
If they buy him out (he's eligible, right?) a team could do a lot worse. They guy as a solid goaltender with an idiotic contract.

Old
06-30-2013, 01:32 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
If they buy him out (he's eligible, right?) a team could do a lot worse. They guy as a solid goaltender with an idiotic contract.
Oh I totally agree. I'd actually love to have him, he's a good goalie. Just would be surprised if we went that route.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:46 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oh I totally agree. I'd actually love to have him, he's a good goalie. Just would be surprised if we went that route.
Agreed, that contract is a albatross for sure. And to escape the pressure cooker that is Vancouver. If the Canucks won't do a compliance buyout on Luongo they will have to eat a huge portion of the contract in my estimation from what I have read. They should have dealt him last summer.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:38 AM
kfox9611

Quote:
I hope for Luongo's case this is true... He still has nightmares..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg osh.jpg‎ (7.0 KB, 12 views)

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:15 AM
oPlaiD

I don't understand how you guys can pine for Miller but complain about Luongo because his contract is an albatross. Miller may only be signed for 2 more years, but its at a higher number than Luongo and their level of play isn't much different.

I don't see any reason why the Blues should spend so much on a goaltender with their cap constraints. That's one of the main reasons I didn't like them acquiring Halak and won't be mad if they trade him away.

Every year there are Mike Smiths and Craig Anderson and you could even put Brian Elliott in that category, guys you sign cheap and put up top 5 goalie numbers. The Blackhawks just won the Cup without a superstar goaltender and part of the reason is they don't have to commit much cap space to it.

The talent spread in goaltending is very small in the NHL these days. It isn't worth spending tons of money on a goalie.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
I don't understand how you guys can pine for Miller but complain about Luongo because his contract is an albatross. Miller may only be signed for 2 more years, but its at a higher number than Luongo and their level of play isn't much different.

I don't see any reason why the Blues should spend so much on a goaltender with their cap constraints. That's one of the main reasons I didn't like them acquiring Halak and won't be mad if they trade him away.

Every year there are Mike Smiths and Craig Anderson and you could even put Brian Elliott in that category, guys you sign cheap and put up top 5 goalie numbers. The Blackhawks just won the Cup without a superstar goaltender and part of the reason is they don't have to commit much cap space to it.

The talent spread in goaltending is very small in the NHL these days. It isn't worth spending tons of money on a goalie.
Huh? Miller is signed for 1 year and then that contract is done, cap hit gone. Luongo is signed for another 9 years... until he is 43. The Luongo contract is infinitely worse than that of Miller.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:

FYI: Mike Smith is no longer cheap. Quite the opposite actually.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:44 PM
oPlaiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
FYI: Mike Smith is no longer cheap. Quite the opposite actually.
He's not cheap now, but that's the point, he was signed off the scrap heap and now he's getting the big money.

Smith, Anderson, Bobrovsky (who wants $6 million), etc. etc.

Jarmo is doing the smart thing and shopping Bobrovsky if he really wants to get paid that much, since it just isn't worth it when you can just get someone else cheaper.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
He's not cheap now, but that's the point, he was signed off the scrap heap and now he's getting the big money.

Smith, Anderson, Bobrovsky (who wants $6 million), etc. etc.

Jarmo is doing the smart thing and shopping Bobrovsky if he really wants to get paid that much, since it just isn't worth it when you can just get someone else cheaper.
Depends on their financial situation, but I tend to agree.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Alklha

Depends on how long he was wanting. I'd much rather Bobrovsky at $6m for 2 years than Smith at $5.7m for 6 years.

Anyway, with these trades, it pushes Jaro's value up.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:13 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post

Anyway, with these trades, it pushes Jaro's value up.
Thinking the same thing actually. I wasn't even thinking about the Devils trading for a goalie, and there goes the Luongo/Schneider cast off from the market.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:08 AM
DeuceNine
Wall of Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
I hope im wrong but im thinking the Blues will regret going with Elliott/Allen if this is true. Do people forget that Elliott looked horrible at times last yr? Allen has potential but cant rely on him to carry the team if Elliott melts down again. I know most here think Halak is horrible but i would bet he comes back pretty strong next season.
No offense but this is actually sorta dumb. Allen is who we DID rely on -- successfully -- while Ells was getting his game back together. Halak had nothing to do with that. I think that whole sequence of events last year cemented who we need in net. Although Halak and Ells won the Jennings two years ago, I just don't trust Jaro's health. Love him as a goalie, but we are seriously in need of stability.

DeuceNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:19 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceNine View Post
No offense but this is actually sorta dumb. Allen is who we DID rely on -- successfully -- while Ells was getting his game back together. Halak had nothing to do with that. I think that whole sequence of events last year cemented who we need in net. Although Halak and Ells won the Jennings two years ago, I just don't trust Jaro's health. Love him as a goalie, but we are seriously in need of stability.
My opinion: The only reason for moving Halak is if they're able to upgrade the center position.

Keeping all three has to be better than having two, remember a young player has an advantage when he's trying to earn a job, because it's always harder to keep a job dealing with the expectations especially for a young goaltender. Allen's time will come and he'll probably see some playing time next year if they do keep all three.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceNine View Post
I just don't agree with this at all.

Jake Allen had 9 wins, a save percentage barely over .900% and a GAA of 2.45.

You can't tell me you are fully trusting a guy who played approximately 1/8th of a full NHL season.

I like Allen a lot, but there is no way I want to roll with Elliott/Allen.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post

You can't tell me you are fully trusting a guy who played approximately 1/8th of a full NHL season.

On this board its hard to keep a rational view of Jake Allen and not look like you're down on him. I'm very excited about his future, and I could see him as the back-up this season....but its a gamble if things work out that way.

He has a bright future, but the chances are greatest that the Blues roll with Halak/Elliott again.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I'd only want Allen on the big club if we had a reliable starter for 50+ games.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:

And last year a lot of posters were calling allen a bust. Now he is thw savior and halak is trade bait. Last season on the trade boards our fan base loves halak and wouldnt trade him. Elliot was trade bait for pucks mid way through the season.

I would say our fan base has become very over reacting...rivalling the leafs and oilers.

We used to be patient and now I don't know.... but there is no long view taken.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:50 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:

Well said. The guy got some Ws, but wasn't at all impressive doing it. He still has a LOT of maturing to do. His positioning and rebound control being the two main things.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote