HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Chicago Sports Teams Rankings

Old
06-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
I could also see growth for hockey in Chicagoland with the Big Ten establishing its own hockey conference finally.
Finally. Hoping to see Northwestern and IL go at it soon.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ignore McLurking guys, he doesn't represent what 90% of Sox fans think.
He's going overboard but is he lying?

Steve Bartman

Old
06-30-2013, 10:33 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Finally. Hoping to see Northwestern and IL go at it soon.
Neither is going to add teams. Big Ten Conference hockey is all about getting BTN more games by eliminating competition outside the conference.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:36 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLurking View Post
True Sox, marketing sucks but Cubs have all this marketing and are irrelevant in parts of the city. There are parts of Chicago that you don't even see Cub fans. You see Bulls and Bears fans EVERYWHERE. Most sports fans in Chicago have gone to at least gone to a Bulls or Bears game before, I know people here in Chicago who have never gone to Wrigley, I know people who have barely even SEEN Wrigley with their own eyes. I've seen Wrigley three times, it is so irrelevant to some people here some people don't even think about Wrigley Field. But mention Soldier Field and the UC, everybody in Chicago's lives have been touched by those two stadiums. To hell with Wrigley Field.

Sox fans really don't care though about the burbs except maybe the South Burbs and Northwest Indiana. If the Cubs want to run the rest of suburbs they can have it. But for them to sit here self aggrandizing themselves as if they are equal to
the Bulls and Bears is crazy. Cub fans self embellish like no other fanbase. They are the ONLY fanbase in America who could be hated in parts of their OWN city but still regard themselves as a top 2 team in that same city. As if they touch as many lives as the Bears and Bulls. Complete BS.
I think you're confusing your area and what you've experienced with most other people. There's no way that more Chicagoans have been to Bulls and/or Hawks games than Cubs games.

And every two sports city with very popular teams also have areas where they're hated, too. Plenty of New Yorkers hate the Yankees and the Giants, but there's no denying that they're the two most popular teams in New York by an extremely wide margin. Same goes with L.A. and the Dodgers, if you include the Orange County suburbs. That's the case for the Cubs and Chicago.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:43 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I think you're confusing your area and what you've experienced with most other people. There's no way that more Chicagoans have been to Bulls and/or Hawks games than Cubs games.

Who the hell has never been to Wrigley and the Cell at least once? Meanwhile, I didn't go to a Bulls game until I was 16 and I was a big fan growing up. And I can imagine 90+% of people have never been to a Hawks game.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:45 AM
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
He's going overboard but is he lying?
Yes.

The Good Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
meanwhile the cell is located a block away from the most dangerous parts of the country.
No, not really.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:44 AM
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)

Yeah, there's nothing really dangerous about going to Mobile Phone Park.

The neighborhood is boring as hell, and there's nothing to do before or after the game. But it's not dangerous.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Oh please, gimme a friggen break. This is total nonsense and you know it.

To bring facts to the equation, game 4 of the 2005 World Series were about 30% higher than Game 6 on Monday.

Bears

Cubs

Sox

Bulls
Hawks

Still tons and tons of football and baseball only people. And anyone putting the Hawks ahead of the Bulls is kidding themselves. The Hawks draw nothing from the minority community, which should hardly be referred to as 'the minorities' when you consider their size.
Very few people give a rats ass about the Sox. Congratulations that you are one of them. I don't get Sox fans when it comes to issues like this. If I was a Sox fan, I would say that we have the least popular team and the worst support. Glad they get good ratings in World Series play coming off a 50 year pennant drought, good for them.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Very few people give a rats ass about the Sox. Congratulations that you are one of them. I don't get Sox fans when it comes to issues like this. If I was a Sox fan, I would say that we have the least popular team and the worst support. Glad they get good ratings in World Series play coming off a 50 year pennant drought, good for them.
Wow, you're really upset about that.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:12 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
No, you just don't call something complete nonsense then follow it up with a terrible post that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Sox fans have to be the most delusional fan base is MLB.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I think you guys are making the opposite point.

Just because the Cubs draw more doesn't mean they have more fans. Like you said going to Wrigley is an experience I would say at least 25% of every fan at am Cubs game is there just to be there and aren't.fans of the team and thats a modest number.

The fact that the city is divided proves the Cubs can't be #2. It

Bears
Bulls
Hawks
Cubs
White Sox

In terms of actual fans and not attendance or things like that.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
No, you just don't call something complete nonsense then follow it up with a terrible post that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Sox fans have to be the most delusional fan base is MLB.
He cited ratings as the reason for showing that the Sox have more fans than the Hawks. Whether they truly do or not will never actually be determined but ratings are probably the best available way to do so.

Cubs fans always claim they don't care about the Sox but they certainly prove themselves wrong over and over again.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:19 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

Just because the Cubs draw more doesn't mean they have more fans. Like you said going to Wrigley is an experience I would say at least 25% of every fan at am Cubs game is there just to be there and aren't.fans of the team and thats a modest number.

Bears
Bulls
Hawks
Cubs
White Sox

Well, I don't care if they are #2 or #5, my only point is that when you take off that 25% you refer to, the remainder dwarfs the Hawks, Bulls and especially the Sox. But it's stupid to do that anyway, fans go to games of every team just for the fun, albeit less so but it still happens.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:29 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
He cited ratings as the reason for showing that the Sox have more fans than the Hawks. Whether they truly do or not will never actually be determined but ratings are probably the best available way to do so.

Cubs fans always claim they don't care about the Sox but they certainly prove themselves wrong over and over again.
Well, yeah, of course, ratings are faceless, tons of non-Sox fans watch Sox games, especially in the summer. Baseball is a good thing to have on in the background, both in bars and at home.

As for attendance, Wrigley is a party, a lot of the people don't give a **** and the Sox tickets were overpriced, which they fixed, and which has resulted in a 2,000 fan per game reduction in attendance. Therefore, that data is irrelevant.

But it is only July 1st, so over the course season, we may see them around the same attendance per game that they had last year, when tickets were more expensive.

Last edited by coldsteelonice84: 07-01-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old
07-01-2013, 08:45 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Of course Coldsteel comes back with no evidence other than to take a shot at the "Delusional Sox fan base"

Ratings are faceless - glad you don't work in the industry. So last season when the Sox had better ratings than the Cubs, it was all 80% Cubs fans who were just bored, right?

Get a clue man, your making yourself look silly.
Quote:
Oh yeah, he's got such an inferiority complex, it's hilarious.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:54 AM
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)

Quote:

The fact that the city is divided proves the Cubs can't be #2.
You use the word proves, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:55 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:

Bears
Bulls
Hawks
Cubs
White Sox

Again, there are so few Bulls diehards that it'd be an absolute joke to call them #2. Ever been to a Bulls game? It's 90% suits. No one there cares.

People watch the Bulls to pass the time from football to baseball.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
Yes.
He showed the t shirt

And like I said, Steve Bartman

Old
07-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

I went to the second Bulls game of my life 4 or 5 years ago and the entire game is like a commercial break during a Hawks game. Loud music pumped into the UC non-stop as well as t-shirts and other crap getting shot into the crowd. Yes, that happens during the game. Got to keep the crowd entertained somehow.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:11 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Considered myself a huge Bulls fan up to when I graduated college. Think I maybe went to 2-3 games my entire life, and my dad worked a job where we always had access to free tickets, just never wanted them. On the other hand, we were big Cubs fans, and went to 15-20 games a year.... even with how bad they were, and how much of a hassle it was to get from where we lived to Wrigley since we drove, and then had to shell out the cash for parking. Like you guys have said, there just wasn't any excitement or reason to go to a Bulls game, so we simply didn't. I've been to more Sox games than I have Bulls games, and I hated the Sox growing up. Hell, I think I've been to more Kane County Cougar & Schaumburg Flyers games than Bulls games.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I've been to more Sox games than I have Bulls games, and I hated the Sox growing up.
Same for me except the other way around. I've probably been to Wrigley about 15-20 times, half of which have been for Sox-Cubs games. Add in the Winter Classic and a couple of concerts and I've still been to more Cubs games than Bulls games.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:18 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Of course Coldsteel comes back with no evidence other than to take a shot at the "Delusional Sox fan base"

Ratings are faceless - glad you don't work in the industry. So last season when the Sox had better ratings than the Cubs, it was all 80% Cubs fans who were just bored, right?

Get a clue man, your making yourself look silly.

Oh yeah, he's got such an inferiority complex, it's hilarious.
You're the one saying everything revolves around the tube. And I gave evidence, you can't even get fans to come out after lowering prices. If that's not an indictment on the popularity of the club, I don't know what is.

As for the attack on my character (the constant attacks on my character), what in God's name have I ever said that makes you think I give one iota of thought to what others have to say or think about me. Seriously, I want to know because if there was anything, I'd like to get that cleaned up. And if my outlook on that issue bothers you, start looking inward as opposed to outward. Looking outward, at others, for anything, is just going to inhibit your own personal progress...IMO of course.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:21 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
You're the one saying everything revolves around the tube. And I gave evidence, you can't even get fans to come out after lowering prices. If that's not an indictment on the popularity of the club, I don't know what is.

They're the 3RD WORST TEAM IN BASEBALL! What makes you think people would want to go watch them?

But yeah, let's just blame the fans for not wanting to go watch a bunch of hacks. It's not like we have a Rizzo or Castro to go see and make it worth it. Outside of Sale, there is NOBODY on this club to get excited about. How is that the fans fault?

Quote:
As for the attack on my character (the constant attacks on my character), what in God's name have I ever said that makes you think I give one iota of thought to what others have to say or think about me. Seriously, I want to know because if there was anything, I'd like to get that cleaned up. And if my outlook on that issue bothers you, start looking inward as opposed to outward. Looking outward, at others, for anything, is just going to inhibit your own personal progress...IMO of course.
I'm not attacking your character, relax dude.

I can have good baseball conversation with most of the Cubs fans here, but whenever you get a chance to take a shot at the Sox and the their fans, you take it. No one else here does. That's all I'm saying.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:25 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:

They're the 3RD WORST TEAM IN BASEBALL! What makes you think people would want to go watch them?

But yeah, let's just blame the fans for not wanting to go watch a bunch of hacks.

I'm not attacking your character, relax dude.

I can have good baseball conversation with most of the Cubs fans here, but whenever you get a chance to take a shot at the Sox and the their fans, you take it. No one else here does. That's all I'm saying.
And all I'm saying, well, obviously my word isn't enough, but don't you think I'd be saying the exact same things about the Sox and their fans if I was a diehard Sox fan?

I would, whether you want to believe it or not. I think I've been here long enough for people to know that would be my take on the issue, regardless of my personal affiliation.