HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Chicago Sports Teams Rankings

Old
07-01-2013, 09:32 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
And all I'm saying, well, obviously my word isn't enough, but don't you think I'd be saying the exact same things about the Sox and their fans if I was a diehard Sox fan?
No, I do not. I think that's total crap, to be honest.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Well, that's where you are dead wrong. I've never had a problem taking shots at my own teams if I feel the shoe fits.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:05 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

But there's a big difference between putting down a team, player, front office member you don't like and taking blatant shots at a fan base...

Old
07-01-2013, 10:09 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
But there's a big difference between putting down a team, player, front office member you don't like and taking blatant shots at a fan base...
Don't have a problem there either; I'm sure I could recall an example but I choose not to engage further.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Bears

Cubs
Bulls

Hawks

Sox

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Blue Liner

This will always be a Bears-first town, no matter how bad they would be and how good anyone else would be. Just how it is.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:28 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
Bears

Cubs
Bulls

Hawks

Sox
This is how it is in terms of fans if you ask me.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

First off this topic is begging for petty battles, but I guess that is what a message board is for.

Shocking that this turned into a Cubs/Sox debate.

I think I have the exact reason why the baseball teams rank where they do and it is pretty obvious.

The Cubs have a very large die-hard fan base. They also have a very large following of people from other Midwestern cities who have moved here and adopted them as their second team. The main cities that people move here from are the Detroit area, Cleveland area, and maybe a bit from the Minnesota area. These people are all Tigers, Twins, & Indians fans first and Cubs fans second. Most of these young people who move here were brought up hating the Sox already. Combine that with the fact that most of them move into an area that has a ballpark that is very convenient to get to and has a great party atmosphere. That gets you a ton of casual fans and easily makes you the second most popular team in the city.

The Sox simply don't have the casual baseball fan's support in this city. They have to be good to sell tickets b/c all of their fan base cares about the on-field product.

I will admit I grew up a Sox fan, but I find baseball so alarmingly boring now that I don't have a horse in this fight anymore and I am a much happier person for it. I deal with a lot less idiots when I just tell people up front I'm not really a baseball fan.

Can you imagine how much bigger the Bears would be if they were not in a division with all the other Midwestern teams?

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:40 AM
EdgeR44

Reading this thread has been very interesting to me. I was born in Chicago but I left when I was very young so it's great to get some local perspective.

How much of these "fandom" rankings you guys think are different between local Chicago people who grew up there and people who moved to Chicago?

I mean I grew up in the Middle East actually and I guarantee you that 95% of kids there will easily recognize the Chicago Bulls logo even if they've never watched a game, kinda like the Yankees.

So maybe these Bulls fans numbers are similar to that effect? Much more popular outside the city than inside the city and let's say the "real" locals?

As for baseball, the first time I ever personally watched baseball (on TV that is) was during the White Sox World Series so naturally I'm a White Sox fan especially that I was also born in the South Side.

Nevertheless, I really have absolutely no hate towards the Cubs and I like them as much; I want all Chicago teams whether it was White Sox or Cubs to succeed, which I guess a true Chicagoan wouldn't say but hey I don't live in Chicago, at least not yet.

EdgeR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:34 AM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I will admit I grew up a Sox fan, but I find baseball so alarmingly boring now that I don't have a horse in this fight anymore and I am a much happier person for it. I deal with a lot less idiots when I just tell people up front I'm not really a baseball fan.
I can fully understand where you're coming from. I too used to be a big Sox fan. But, each of the past several years, I've been finding myself watching less and less of the Sox (and baseball as a whole). I think a good part of that started when I first subscribed to Center Ice the season following the 04-05 lockout. Though the Hawks have always been my clear #1, each progressing year, I just got more and more into hockey in general due to being able to watch every televised game. I find that, the more hockey I watch, the more I want of it. It's the only sport I can watch any game without getting bored.

Then comes the playoffs, and the action is so intense, that it seems like quite a let-down once the playoffs are over and all that is left in the sporting world is baseball. I've found myself being unable to watch more than an inning or two before changing channels or finding something else to do. I pretty much spend my summer reading, catching up on current events, and tweaking my lesson plans for the next school year. I may watch a *bit* of baseball. But, I just don't have the same passion for it I used to. I'd watch a Sox game over a Bulls game. But, baseball is a distant 3rd for me after hockey and football. Right now, the thing I'm looking forward to most (after free agency, prospect camp, and Convention) is Bears camp.

So, summer is a terrible season for me in many ways. It's the only of the 4 seasons where I can't stand the weather, and there's no hockey and virtually no football. My favorite time of the year is October through early February. Hockey and football are both running concurrently, and the weather is best for me.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:44 AM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
The saying is "Chicago is a Bears city," and it is. The Bears superbowl parade would dwarf the Blackhawks turnout. They'd shut the city down.

1. Bears
2. Bulls
3. Cubs
4. Blackhawks
5. White Sox

I feel like White Sox fans are somewhat rare, and the feeling I always get from diehard Sox fans is contempt. *shrug* Just the vibe I've experienced in my limited visits to the city and burbs.

I've gotten the gist that the majority of Blackhawks fans are Sox/Bulls fans moreso than Bears/Cubs. Any truth to that?

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:49 AM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS85 View Post
I've gotten the gist that the majority of Blackhawks fans are Sox/Bulls fans moreso than Bears/Cubs. Any truth to that?
Nobody in my large group of Hawks fan friends cares very much about the Bulls. You will have somewhat of an overlap with Hawks and Bulls fanbases. But, I'd say it is much smaller than Hawks/Bears and Hawks/Sox or Cubs fanbases. Hawks fans by majority are Bears fans (of course). I would say it is split between the baseball teams, and I am using the volume of cheers/boos I hear whenever they show a Sox or Cubs player on the jumbotron at Hawks games as part of my evidence. My Hawks fan friends are also pretty split when it comes to the baseball team they prefer.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:29 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Can we all agree McLurking is a 'delusional' Sox fan?

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
The Frenchman

Simply put

1.)The Bears and the Cubs are both 1 and 2, respectively. Nothing will change that.
2.)The other three teams are interchangeable depending on team performance.
3.)The Chicago Fire are somewhere between the Windy City Rollers and the Chicago Bandits.

The Frenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:47 AM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frenchman View Post
Simply put

1.)The Bears and the Cubs are both 1 and 2, respectively. Nothing will change that.
2.)The other three teams are interchangeable depending on team performance.
3.)The Chicago Fire are somewhere between the Windy City Rollers and the Chicago Bandits.
Glad someone has it right.

ItsMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:29 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Do you teach on the south side? And if so, it is as dangerous as all the media in NYC says it is?
There are very few places you should be afraid of in Chicago during the day.

Rocky Wirtz said that the Hawks are the fifth team in town recently for what its worth.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:33 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yeah, the idea that Notre Dame football is a beloved organization in Chicago is about as true as Northwestern's trademarked claim that they're Chicago's Big Ten team (when, in overall popularity, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and maybe Iowa have more fans even with Northwestern being a few miles away).

Even amongst fellow Catholic families, there seems to be far more dislike or disinterest towards Notre Dame than liking it. Can't speak for the Irish Catholic neighborhoods, though.

Also, gotta love the moronic posts about Cubs fans. For every overprivileged closet racist preppy kid that doesn't know anything about baseball that claims to be a Cubs fan, there's some drunk jerkwark claiming that only about a third of the city's really Chicago and looking for a fight or a chance to hurl curses at you wearing while wearing a Sox hat. Both teams have some pretty negative elements to the fanbase that make stereotyping either pretty damn easy.

Also also, never got the hate that the Cubs have significantly more fans in the suburbs and especially downstate. If anything, the Sox being a complete nonfactor south of Kankakee is a marketing failure of colossal proportions by the White Sox organization.
I grew up in an Irish neighborhood and saw a ton of ND gear growing up. It wasn't til I was out of high school that I found out they weren't big throughout the city.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:29 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I grew up in an Irish neighborhood and saw a ton of ND gear growing up. It wasn't til I was out of high school that I found out they weren't big throughout the city.
Exactly, I think that's the critical point. The Irish are to Irish communities as to the White Sox are to the South Side. Big within, essentially nonexistent outside of it.

If you're in the bubble, very easy to overestimate the popularity of either.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:34 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

If you're in the bubble, very easy to overestimate the popularity of either.
That's why I've said that it's impossible to do a straight 1 through 5 list, because with the variables it only makes sense to do multiple ones by level of fandom. Because while the Bulls have more people watching than the Sox, there is no way they have a larger number of diehards, or of people who its their 1st or 2nd team.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:41 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
That's why I've said that it's impossible to do a straight 1 through 5 list, because with the variables it only makes sense to do multiple ones by level of fandom. Because while the Bulls have more people watching than the Sox, there is no way they have a larger number of diehards, or of people who its their 1st or 2nd team.
Sure, and that's why ranking 3-5 can be difficult. Hawks and Bulls both have more widespread support than the Sox when talking about a geographic range, but Sox also have a much higher proportion of fans in their neck of the woods than the Bulls or Hawks do throughout.

That being said, 1 & 2 should be readily obvious to anyone that follows the Chicago sports scene.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Diatomic
Naazzeemm Kaaddrriii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
Bears

Cubs
Bulls

Hawks

Sox
Lets say hypothetically the Hawks win 5 more cups in 10 years , and the other 4 teams are mediocre, how would the rankings look then??

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:59 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Lets say hypothetically the Hawks win 5 more cups in 10 years , and the other 4 teams are mediocre, how would the rankings look then??
Probably the same with the Bulls and Hawks even.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:00 PM
hisgirlfriday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
The Hawks would be huge but it would still be only temporary and there would be a big fall off when the current stars left/retired. If the Jordan dynasty couldn't put the Bulls permanently on top of the Bears or Cubs I don't think a Hawks dynasty would either.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Easton Modano Curve

I think the Hawks are very close to the Bulls RIGHT NOW in popularity. They were beating the Bulls in television ratings during their point streak. Although this was when they were hot and Rose was injured it is still a minor miracle considering where things use to be.

Also read this interesting tidbit from the Tribune:
"Ratings game: The Bulls did win their head-to-head matchup with the Hawks last Wednesday. Game 5 of their series against the Heat did an 8.87 rating in Chicago, while Game 1 of Hawks-Detroit did an 8.13; 1 local ratings point is worth just above 35,000 homes."
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...fans-ed-olcyzk

Not bad head to head. Especially when the Bulls are in an exciting series facing the Heat and Lebron.

Easton Modano Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
There are very few places you should be afraid of in Chicago during the day.

Rocky Wirtz said that the Hawks are the fifth team in town recently for what its worth.
I'm a night guy

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote