Notices

2013-14 Line Combos

Old
08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Trae

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
It's like you guys think Glencross/Stajan/Stempnaik is some kind of magic line. You have to remember that no matter who is on Glenny's line, that line plays well. It's always been that way. Don't expect that line to be stuck together because they performed decently in a shortened season. Don't expect to see Stajan or Stempniak any where near the top 6 either.
I tend to agree. This same thing happened with Glencross-Jokinen-Moss, and that didn't reunite to the same great success. New season, new players, new lines.

I do think Stajan and Stempniak will see top 6 some though, especially with our lack of RW and centers. Only way I see Stajan on the third line is if Monahan makes the team and outplays him.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:41 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
It's like you guys think Glencross/Stajan/Stempnaik is some kind of magic line. You have to remember that no matter who is on Glenny's line, that line plays well. It's always been that way. Don't expect that line to be stuck together because they performed decently in a shortened season. Don't expect to see Stajan or Stempniak any where near the top 6 either.
Who do we have at center that is better than Stajan?

Backlund with a career high of 25 points and only has a solid 32 game sample size to show that he could be anything more than a 3rd line center? Or Monahan who is a rookie and might not even make the team same goes with Knight. Simply put if we don't play Stajan in the top 6 then we are rushing players and aren't making them earn their spots.

Last year Stajan made ever player better that he played with more so than Glencross.

Not to mention our top 3 lines are likely to see roughly the same amount of ice time so saying Stajan couldn't be in the top 6 is foolish.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:42 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Who do we have at center that is better than Stajan?

Backlund with a career high of 25 points and only has a solid 32 game sample size to show that he could be anything more than a 3rd line center? Or Monahan who is a rookie and might not even make the team same goes with Knight. Simply put if we don't play Stajan in the top 6 then we are rushing players and aren't making them earn their spots.

Last year Stajan made ever player better that he played with more so than Glencross.
Do we have a goalie better than Kipper?

Changes will be made.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Do we have a goalie better than Kipper?

Changes will be made.
Kipper retired unlike Stajan. As of now Stajan is our best center.

Last year Stajan was #3 in ES ice time behind only Iginla and Tanguay and took the most faceoffs he was and is in our top 6.

Stempniak was #6 in ES ice tied with Hudler.

I think Stempniak most likely plays on the 3rd line as Jones and Cammy will most likely slot ahead of him but there isn't a better center on the Flames roster then Stajan right now. His great defensive game and ability to put up decent points makes him the best option for #1 center and to take the pressure of the younger players.

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 08-05-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old
08-05-2013, 03:55 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Kipper retired unlike Stajan. As of now Stajan is our best center.
I disagree. First, Backlund put up comparable numbers while playing primarily on a third line last year. This year, if (when) we move him into a top six role, he's going to easily outpace Stajan at least as far as offensive skill goes.

Next, given the amount of left wings we have, I doubt Cammalleri is going to be playing on the left side - I'm predicting the first line to be Glencross - Cammalleri - Hudler.

In that case, I'd say our centre depth goes Cammy, Backlund, Stajan, Knight, at least before the deadline.

MonahanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan View Post
I disagree. First, Backlund put up comparable numbers while playing primarily on a third line last year. This year, if (when) we move him into a top six role, he's going to easily outpace Stajan at least as far as offensive skill goes.

Next, given the amount of left wings we have, I doubt Cammalleri is going to be playing on the left side - I'm predicting the first line to be Glencross - Cammalleri - Hudler.

In that case, I'd say our centre depth goes Cammy, Backlund, Stajan, Knight, at least before the deadline.
Backlund played 2 minutes a night less than Stajan but Stajan played a minute and a half more of pk. Backlund played 32 good games but he is being vastly overrated for a player that hasn't scored more than 25 points in a season in his career.

Cammy wasn't used a lot a center last year and I doubt he is used at center this year he will play on the RW like he did last year.

Old
08-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
As of now Stajan is our best center.

He would be perfect as our best center...for the drive for the number 1 pick.

Other than that, i prefer Backlund...there is still some unknown potential there....

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Trae

Until Backlund steps up more, I'm taking the dependable, defensively reliable, and experienced Stajan as our best Center.

That being said, Backlund has a huge opportunity and there's a decent possibility that he can pass Stajan this year.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 05:16 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Backlund played 2 minutes a night less than Stajan but Stajan played a minute and a half more of pk. Backlund played 32 good games but he is being vastly overrated for a player that hasn't scored more than 25 points in a season in his career.

Cammy wasn't used a lot a center last year and I doubt he is used at center this year he will play on the RW like he did last year.
Why is it impossible that Backlund comes into camp and beats out Stajan for the #1 spot?

Im pro* having Stajan in the top-6 for sure, but I don't think there is much if any separation between Backlund and Stajan.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Grabovski is our #1 center

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

You gotta think Cammy is our #1C as it stands right now. He is the most proven, and most skilled option we have of anyone on our roster at any position. No it's not ideal, but he's our best offensive player we have and with all the other wingers on our roster, I think he lines up down the middle unless other moves are made like signing Grabo.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
It's not a magic line by any means. It's the only productive line we still have from last year. It's the only line that us as fans feel comfortable as far as stability and familiarity.

Although I'm never one to diss someone else's opinion, I feel that Hartley will mash up everything throughout camp and pre-season. But when it comes to the first game of the season, this will be our go to line at first.
Might be the only productive line where all the members are still there. But each of those 3 were also productive apart from each other as well.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:55 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Why is it impossible that Backlund comes into camp and beats out Stajan for the #1 spot?

Im pro* having Stajan in the top-6 for sure, but I don't think there is much if any separation between Backlund and Stajan.
I'm not saying he can't or that I don't think he will but what I am saying is people complaining about Stajan in the top 6 because he isn't a new shinny toy are just stupid.

Stajan was in the top 60 in points for centermen last year while playing some very good defensive hockey and was able to make every player played with more effective from Hudler and Cervenka to Glencross and Stempniak.

I realize that we all want Backlund to succeed but far to much stock is being put into a 32 game sample size. I also realize that we want to see Monahan/Knight/Reinhart get a chance and have some success in the NHL. But most people don't seem to realize that by playing Backlund/Monahan in the top 6 they may have better linemates but they will be playing against some elite center that will most likely pin them in their own zone more often than not. By playing Stajan on the first line he can draw the hard match ups and as last year showed not only can he handle other teams best lines but he can remain productive while doing it. Having Stajan on the first line not only rewards him for his hard work but it gives Backlund/Knight/Monahan/Reinhart easier match ups letting them work on their offensive game and not have to deal with as much defensive pressure.

For those saying Cammy will be our #1 center, Hartley barely played him at center last year because of his poor defensive game and to play him with a young offensive player to give them someone to set up and take the primary defender away from the rookie.

I think the lineup should be

Hudler - Stajan - Stempniak (28% ES total time)
Sven - Backlund - Jones (27% ES total time)
Glencross - Monahan - Cammy (27% ES total time)
Galiardi - Knight - Bouma (18% ES total time)

Old
08-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
You gotta think Cammy is our #1C as it stands right now. He is the most proven, and most skilled option we have of anyone on our roster at any position. No it's not ideal, but he's our best offensive player we have and with all the other wingers on our roster, I think he lines up down the middle unless other moves are made like signing Grabo.
Cammy's our best player who can play centre, but he's not our best centre from what I've seen. He doesn't play the position and provide puck support as well Backlund or Stajan. The inability of our at-the-time centres to play the position was really exposed in that awful trip through California where we got run over by the Ducks and Kings.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:

add to this that Backlund also played 1:13 more per game on the PP too.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:02 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Cammy's our best player who can play centre, but he's not our best centre from what I've seen. He doesn't play the position and provide puck support as well Backlund or Stajan. The inability of our at-the-time centres to play the position was really exposed in that awful trip through California where we got run over by the Ducks and Kings.
I really like the idea of playing Cammy on RW with Monahan the same way we used him last year where he would take a lot of faceoffs to help his centerman but he wouldn't have to play the defensive side of center.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Cammy didn't play there much because Tangs did. And if Monahan makes the team, then great play Cammy at wing. But I'm not counting on Monahan to make it necessarily, so right now I see Cammy starting at playing center.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:06 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Cammy didn't play there much because Tangs did. And if Monahan makes the team, then great play Cammy at wing. But I'm not counting on Monahan to make it necessarily, so right now I see Cammy starting at playing center.
Given that Feaster said that he wants to give the younger players a chance I have a feeling either Reinhart or Monahan make the team with Knight on the 4th line. We are also supposedly in on Grabo if we sign Grabo I think it is because Monahan and Reinhart aren't ready.

I think we are going to do everything we can to raise Cammy's stock which means playing him on the wing in offensive situations and not forcing him to play defense at center.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
I realize that we all want Backlund to succeed but far to much stock is being put into a 32 game sample size.
I think it's fair to put stock into those 32 games given the judgement being levied is not based on stats, but on how he was playing, subjectively.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:14 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
I think it's fair to put stock into those 32 games given the judgement being levied is not based on stats, but on how he was playing, subjectively.
I think there is a lot of positives to take from his 32 games last year. But I question people saying that Backlund will easily out produce Stajan if given the same role when they played close to the same amount of ES time but Stajan played way more pk and way less pp and yet did better and they basically played with the same linemates the entire year.

Backlund looked very good last year and showed a lot of great things but we have to keep in mind that it was only 32 games or 39% of a normal season. We know he has the defensive game to be in the NHL but he needs to work on his offensive game and they best way to do that is to shelter him from top lines and let him try and play his game and that doesn't happen by playing him on the first line.

I just have a hard time seeing how Backlund's season earns him top 6 minutes and yet Stajan's season which was better doesn't also earn him top 6 time.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
I think there is a lot of positives to take from his 32 games last year. But I question people saying that Backlund will easily out produce Stajan if given the same role when they played close to the same amount of ES time but Stajan played way more pk and way less pp and yet did better and they basically played with the same linemates the entire year.

Backlund looked very good last year and showed a lot of great things but we have to keep in mind that it was only 32 games or 39% of a normal season. We know he has the defensive game to be in the NHL but he needs to work on his offensive game and they best way to do that is to shelter him from top lines and let him try and play his game and that doesn't happen by playing him on the first line.

I just have a hard time seeing how Backlund's season earns him top 6 minutes and yet Stajan's season which was better doesn't also earn him top 6 time.
I agree with all this.

Backlund played well, but at even strength Stajan produced 0.16 points per game more than Backlund, if my math is right that is over a 10 point difference over a full NHL season and that is nothing to sneeze at.

I am all for giving everyone an opportunity to make the team in a top 6 capacity, hell if Monahan and Knight are the best 2 centers in camp I say run with them. The players playing the best should get the most ice time.

But last season it was clearly Stajan that was the better player.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

To me the difference is that Backlund has more potential than Stajan. Granted potential is just that, but it may mean Backlund raises his game past Stajan soon. I don't think it really matters at the end of the day, both will given very similar minutes and probably rotated depending on who is playing better.

@ Hud, if that's how it plays out with Cammy and our young guys then so be it, that's how it should be in that scenario.

Old
08-14-2013, 11:04 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Island View Post
Not that I don't think he should, I just don't see where he slots in. They have too many forwards, all of whom are on one-way contracts... if some deals aren't made, I don't know how they will deal with it.
waivers?

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:10 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
I think the lineup should be

Hudler - Stajan - Stempniak (28% ES total time)
Don't post this on the main board, Leafs fans will laugh at you. Stajan/Stempniak were on their #1 line FIVE (5) years ago.

Most Leafs fans will be appalled to learn Stajan/Stempniak are still in the NHL, nevermind on another team's top line.

Last edited by flameaholic: 08-14-2013 at 04:20 PM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Don't post this on the main board, Leafs fans will laugh at you. Stajan/Stempniak were on their #1 line FIVE (5) years ago.

Most Leafs fans will be appalled to learn Stajan/Stempniak are still in the NHL, nevermind on another team's top line.
I literally couldn't care less about what they did 5 years ago, Stempniak was tied with JVR in points last year and Stajan would have been 6th in points by a forward.