HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

2013-14 Line Combos

Old
08-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Guido Sarducci

vCash: 50
Well, I'm not expecting much in the way of wins but I am really hoping this years Flames are at least easier to watch than last years Flames.

I don't like the losing, nobody does. But I lived through it for 8 or so years in the 90's and I actually kind of liked some of those teams.

What I can't stand is going to the seasons ticket holder meetings and listening to King, Feaster and Wiesbrod talk about how we are in such great shape and everything is being done the right way. Those guys talk way to good of a game for their own good.

I'm a Flames Fan for the long haul and I think we are in for a few lean years. I just have no faith in the current management group. I renewed my tickets (reluctantly). But I am never going to another one of their stupid meetings. I wouldn't go listen to those guys for all the free beer in the world.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Anglesmith
Fancyman of Cornwood

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci View Post
Well, I'm not expecting much in the way of wins but I am really hoping this years Flames are at least easier to watch than last years Flames.
For me, I think they will be simply because of the lack of pressure. Last year post trade-deadline, I found it really enjoyable watching the Flames. No pressure to win, no pressure to see Iginla put up points. A couple of guys (Backlund and Baertschi) will be under a bit of pressure to up their point totals, but for the most part it should be fairly relaxed.

And don't get me wrong, it's not that I like to watch a losing team. The reason I feel relaxed is because I actually do think that the team is moving in the right direction, and that the results of this season won't affect that direction.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:43 AM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
For me, I think they will be simply because of the lack of pressure. Last year post trade-deadline, I found it really enjoyable watching the Flames. No pressure to win, no pressure to see Iginla put up points. A couple of guys (Backlund and Baertschi) will be under a bit of pressure to up their point totals, but for the most part it should be fairly relaxed.

And don't get me wrong, it's not that I like to watch a losing team. The reason I feel relaxed is because I actually do think that the team is moving in the right direction, and that the results of this season won't affect that direction.
Perfectly put. It'll definitely be a more fun year for both fans and players regardless of our place in the standings.

I didn't have faith until management signalled its intent to accept a rebuild/re-tool. This team has needed them to accept that for years, luckily they finally caved when we could still obtain some decent future assets.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Anglesmith
Fancyman of Cornwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Perfectly put. It'll definitely be a more fun year for both fans and players regardless of our place in the standings.

I didn't have faith until management signalled its intent to accept a rebuild/re-tool. This team has needed them to accept that for years, luckily they finally caved when we could still obtain some decent future assets.
Realistically, when Feaster took over the team, I didn't think he had much choice to enter a rebuild full-on due to a degree of inflexibility with contracts, so I was expecting there to be a wait. And I think he basically had a mandate to keep a competitive facade through even when a retooling plan was already in place.

Old
08-26-2013, 01:02 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I wouldn't give Feaster an A+, in fact, I think he's been a C- at best. He kept Butter on board for too long. He also gave away stupid NTCs (ie, Babchuck) and he's been subpar at trading. I wonder if him making this team younger was a product of a natural cycle in personnel. I mean he took over while a downward trend of winning was taking place with an aging core. What were his options otherwise?

Old
08-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Anglesmith
Fancyman of Cornwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I wouldn't give Feaster an A+, in fact, I think he's been a C- at best. He kept Butter on board for too long. He also gave away stupid NTCs (ie, Babchuck) and he's been subpar at trading. I wonder if him making this team younger was a product of a natural cycle in personnel. I mean he took over while a downward trend of winning was taking place with an aging core. What were his options otherwise?
A Phaneuf-esque trade? Noticing that we were losing ground in the playoff race, trading Mikael Backlund or TJ Brodie away for five or six average pieces?

I agree that there is a sense of inevitability with what has taken place under Feaster. That's why I don't think it would be fair to fire him. The best thing he's done is that he hasn't done anything stupid. He has pissed people off with drafting Jankowski AND Sieloff instead of Grigorenko, TT etc. and Poirier instead of Shinkaruk, but those are just choices which have very little effect on the overall direction of the franchise. Yes, he tried to make the playoffs in the last few years, but he didn't throw away big assets in that pursuit.

Old
08-26-2013, 02:11 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
A Phaneuf-esque trade? Noticing that we were losing ground in the playoff race, trading Mikael Backlund or TJ Brodie away for five or six average pieces?

I agree that there is a sense of inevitability with what has taken place under Feaster. That's why I don't think it would be fair to fire him. The best thing he's done is that he hasn't done anything stupid. He has pissed people off with drafting Jankowski AND Sieloff instead of Grigorenko, TT etc. and Poirier instead of Shinkaruk, but those are just choices which have very little effect on the overall direction of the franchise. Yes, he tried to make the playoffs in the last few years, but he didn't throw away big assets in that pursuit.
Phaneuf was a blunder, sure. But I'll call Feaster out on the Erixon negotiation, ROR offer sheet, and the Tanguay trade. While I wasn't happy with the Iggy, Reghre and Bouwmeester trade, I wouldn't go as far as call them blunders, just lack of sales skill that Feaster cannot be blamed for.

To me, the contentious draft picks are a non-issue. He trusts his scouts and I'm happy with Jankowski and Poirer.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

You'll call him out on the Erixon negotiation? Really? First off Sutter couldn't get him signed here after drafting him, the player didn't want to sign here, and Feaster took what was a terrible situation and turned it into three decent prospects instead of a compensatory draft pick.

Let's continue beating the ROR situation half to death, but at worst he wouldn't have suited up for the Flames last season. Does it really matter though? Other teams (allegedly) had offer sheets on the table, Colorado still matched, let's move on.

The Tanugay trade is fine by me given the circumstances - the bigger issue was the dumbass contract he was signed to in the first place which basically made him untradeable. Harp on Feaster for that all you want.

08-26-2013, 03:08 PM
MarkGio

I'm not one for excuses, that's just my nature. I only look at results. Otherwise you're left arguing about the circumstances until the cows come home.

Old
08-26-2013, 03:14 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Feaster has been a Solid C since becoming GM. He nearly ruined the rebuild with the ROR fiasco, he got some pretty paltry returns for both Iggy and JayBo, drafting has been good but still very uncertain, he tends to not think (trading a 2nd to get cammi, using a 2nd to get rid of Kotalik) etc.

There is a reason most of HF thinks he is a dolt, its because he really is.

Outside of his drafting he hasnt done much to inspire confidence.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:14 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
I'm not one for excuses, that's just my nature. I only look at results. Otherwise you're left arguing about the circumstances until the cows come home.
The result in the Erixon fiasco is that Wotherspoon, Granlund and Horak will likely end up being more valuable.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:25 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
The result in the Erixon fiasco is that Wotherspoon, Granlund and Horak will likely end up being more valuable.
I meant that he wasn't able to sign him. But yeah, the return so far looks decent.

Old
08-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Gary83*

How can we talk about Feaster's performance and not touch base on him screwing up the franchise's biggest trade of the best player to ever wear the Flaming C?

The return he got for Joe Piskula was nothing short of atrocious.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:42 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Feaster has been a Solid C since becoming GM. He nearly ruined the rebuild with the ROR fiasco, he got some pretty paltry returns for both Iggy and JayBo, drafting has been good but still very uncertain, he tends to not think (trading a 2nd to get cammi, using a 2nd to get rid of Kotalik) etc.

A lot of the his errors over the last couple of years we're imo due to ownership not accepting that this team needed to hit the reset button. Feaster probably was allowed to make decisions, but only within the mandate that Edwards gave him. Now that we are finally moving into rebuild mode, I'm fine with keeping Feaster. His draft record so far looks very promising.

The Iggy and Bouwmeester returns were fair or close to fair IMO. Especially iggy's, the guy is 36 and has been slowly regressing over the last couple of years.

The tanguay trade is underwhelming, but filled a need. At least we don't have to continue paying his contract. I doubt he will be as effective going forward as he was the season prior to signing his contract.

I'm not praising Feaster, he's yet to wow me in a trade. But if this team continues to grab picks, I'll continue to support having him at the helm. Build from within is always the best way to go in the cap world. If feaster can do that, the flames will have success in the near future.

EDIT: oh yeah, and screw Erixon. We wound up getting players that will be better than anything that ****** ever amounts to. I'd rather have Wotherspoon at this point in time. He's top 4 bound IMO.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:46 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
I meant that he wasn't able to sign him. But yeah, the return so far looks decent.
I am far from a Feaster fan, but I don't think you can pin that one on him really.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Anglesmith
Fancyman of Cornwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post

Can't tell if this is a troll post. He wouldn't have ruined the rebuild with the ROR offer sheet because we weren't in a rebuild when that move was attempted. Besides the outcome of that offer sheet as a whole was still very much in contention, and never needed to be resolved (through appeal and due process) because of the match.

He got what he could for Iggy and Jaybo, and anyone who thinks they could have gotten better just by asking (based presumably off EA Sports-based 'research') needs to give their head a shake. Your argument is based on fantasy scenarios playing out in your head.

The second round pick in the Cammy trade got us our starter for next year. A second was also the price for Kiprusoff. You still mad about that? Kotalik was an awful contract and we had Sutter to thank for that.

Old
08-26-2013, 06:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
How can we talk about Feaster's performance and not touch base on him screwing up the franchise's biggest trade of the best player to ever wear the Flaming C?

The return he got for Joe Piskula was nothing short of atrocious.
Gold, pure gold.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
The second round pick in the Cammy trade got us our starter for next year. A second was also the price for Kiprusoff. You still mad about that? Kotalik was an awful contract and we had Sutter to thank for that.
Don't get me wrong, but I'm going to play devils advocate here. If Ramo doesn't pan out, that pick becoming Zac Fucale could be devastating if he lives up to half the hype he got.

That being said, I'm extremely leery of goalies playing on stacked teams and putting up big numbers in junior. And I have hope for Ramo.

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Anglesmith
Fancyman of Cornwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Don't get me wrong, but I'm going to play devils advocate here. If Ramo doesn't pan out, that pick becoming Zac Fucale could be devastating if he lives up to half the hype he got.

That being said, I'm extremely leery of goalies playing on stacked teams and putting up big numbers in junior. And I have hope for Ramo.
It's laughable, though, to make an argument based on assuming that a star European goalie will be simply unable to translate his game to a differently-shaped rink while a star junior goalie will be basically a slam dunk to carry his game to the NHL level.

Besides that, don't pretend that the Flames didn't have a shot at Fucale because of that trade. We had the 22nd and a 28th overall pick, and we took a pot-shot with Poirier on one of those. If the Flames' brass wanted Fucale, we would have Fucale.

I don't know if he'd jump over Gillies in our system anyway, though.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:47 AM
MVW

Quote:
It's laughable, though, to make an argument based on assuming that a star European goalie will be simply unable to translate his game to a differently-shaped rink while a star junior goalie will be basically a slam dunk to carry his game to the NHL level.

Besides that, don't pretend that the Flames didn't have a shot at Fucale because of that trade. We had the 22nd and a 28th overall pick, and we took a pot-shot with Poirier on one of those. If the Flames' brass wanted Fucale, we would have Fucale.

I don't know if he'd jump over Gillies in our system anyway, though.
I agree with pretty much all this. I also still think Brossoit could be pretty good. You would hope that one of these guys will step up and size the opportunity.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 07:47 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Any posters out there that want to contribute to my friend's blogging site? Since I can't reveal his name b/c Stewie has a personal vendetta against him, PM me. It will consist of a few questions about the Flames season. Your comments will appear on the panel.

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
Any posters out there that want to contribute to my friend's blogging site? Since I can't reveal his name b/c Stewie has a personal vendetta against him, PM me. It will consist of a few questions about the Flames season. Your comments will appear on the panel.
no flames fan wants to be associated with your blogging site thefanblogger.

Abbotsford Heat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 07:55 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
no flames fan wants to be associated with your blogging site thefanblogger.
I'm not thefanblogger. Just a good friend and an associate of his.

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 10:40 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I agree with pretty much all this. I also still think Brossoit could be pretty good. You would hope that one of these guys will step up and size the opportunity.
I personally think Brossoit could end up being better than Gillies. I think he might have more raw talent.

MonahanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:44 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
I'm not thefanblogger. Just a good friend and an associate of his.
a split personality is not a friend, ut;s the same person

Abbotsford Heat is online now   Reply With Quote