Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Line Combos

Old
08-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Karri Ramone

vCash: 50
Why does appreciating Gillies require putting down Brossoit for some people? Seriously, we have two great goalie prospects who have done nothing but improve after their drafts and both have all the tools to become NHLers. Throwing around hyperbole like "not even close", "hands down better" etc. makes absolutely no sense as both guys are still really young and very much in development. In five years we'll probably know but it's way too early now. How can any direct comparisons even be made when they've never played in the same leagues anyway?

Karri Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:57 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingTelepath View Post
Why does appreciating Gillies require putting down Brossoit for some people? Seriously, we have two great goalie prospects who have done nothing but improve after their drafts and both have all the tools to become NHLers. Throwing around hyperbole like "not even close", "hands down better" etc. makes absolutely no sense as both guys are still really young and very much in development. In five years we'll probably know but it's way too early now. How can any direct comparisons even be made when they've never played in the same leagues anyway?
Well put. Having too many good goalies in the system is a good problem to have.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 12:10 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Quote:
This.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 12:14 PM
DBU
Yung Deebz

vCash: 464
Quote:
Great post

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 02:32 PM
herashak

What happens to brossiot is the same thing that people have been doing to reinhart. Putting them down because of newer prospects (knight, gillies)

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 02:36 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
What happens to brossiot is the same thing that people have been doing to reinhart. Putting them down because of newer prospects (knight, gillies)
I agree. Some people on this board have some really grandiose illusions about how good Knight will be, I remember some people thinking he was our 3rd or 4th best prospect.

Old
08-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Question: Is Galiardi really a 4th liner?
He's more of a fourth liner than Hudler, Baertschi, and Glencross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci View Post
That Abbotsford roster looks like they could use an enforcer. Jackman maybe? I would imagine he would clear waivers.
Maybe. I'd love if Ferland would take that role and run with it. A 0.5 PPG season in the AHL while beating the **** out of the opposition would be quite the redemption season.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I doubt he clears waivers.
All the more reason to put Tim Jackman on waivers. Mcgrattan and Jackmans' play last season make him expendable.

Flames have too many wingers. It would be nice to get rid of some of the deadweight without actually bringing players back in return. It would be nice if their were 1 or 2 spots that guys like Horak, Reinhart, Nemisz etc could compete for.

Last edited by Guido Sarducci: 08-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci View Post
All the more reason to put Tim Jackman on waivers. Mcgratton and Jackmans' play last season make him expendable.

Flames have too many wingers. It would be nice to get rid of some of the deadweight without actually bringing players back in return. It would be nice if their were 1 or 2 spots that guys like Horak, Reinhart, Nemisz etc could compete for.
I agree. It's frustrating over the past few seasons when we bring in guys like Pierre-Luc the Blonde or Raitis Ivanans just when we thought we were going to have an open roster spot.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
He's more of a fourth liner than Hudler, Baertschi, and Glencross.

Maybe. I'd love if Ferland would take that role and run with it. A 0.5 PPG season in the AHL while beating the **** out of the opposition would be quite the redemption season.
I would be happy if Ferland could just prove he is AHL ready this season. And don't forget that AHL enforcers are generally better scrappers then NHL enforcers. Most AHL heavyweights would speedbag Ferland.

Last edited by Guido Sarducci: 08-30-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old
08-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
I agree. It's frustrating over the past few seasons when we bring in guys like Pierre-Luc the Blonde or Raitis Ivanans just when we thought we were going to have an open roster spot.
Haha. Raitis Ivanans is the worst Flame ever! He played 2 games for the Flames.

In his first game he was -1 with 0:01 ice time! And he lost a fight so badly that he was out for over a year.

And his second game as a Flame was the 9-0 Boston massacre.

At least PL3 was good for a laugh sometimes.

I think while the Flames are rebuilding they should be going into training camp with 18-20 one way contracts. 23-25 is a great way to let the Heat guys know that they don't have a chance.

Old
08-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Haha. Raitis Ivanans is the worst Flame ever! He played 2 games for the Flames.

In his first game he was -1 with 0:01 ice time! And he lost a fight so badly that he was out for over a year.

And his second game as a Flame was the 9-0 Boston massacre.

At least PL3 was good for a laugh sometimes.

I think while the Flames are rebuilding they should be going into training camp with 18-20 one way contracts. 23-25 is a great way to let the Heat guys know that they don't have a chance.

Old
08-31-2013, 03:20 AM
Get North

vCash: 495
Glencross - Cammy - Hudler
Baertschi - Stajan - Stempniak
Knight - Backlund - Jones
Galiardi - B.Jones - Jackman
McGrattan/

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Weatherspoon - O'Brien
Butler/Smith

Get North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 06:30 AM
Taranis

vCash: 8000
I get the reasoning behind putting Camm at centre, but with so many centre prospects shouldn't we be giving them a shot? I think we should put Stajan as the first line centre and let the rest battle it out for 2-4 spot. For example Stajan - Backlund - Monahan -Knight.

Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
I get the reasoning behind putting Camm at centre, but with so many centre prospects shouldn't we be giving them a shot? I think we should put Stajan as the first line centre and let the rest battle it out for 2-4 spot. For example Stajan - Backlund - Monahan -Knight.
I see what you are sayin but as much as I would like to have only real centermen playing center I don't like the idea of having two guys who have never even played a game of pro. If the went that route I'd rather they tried Reinhart, Bouma, Horak or Street.

And the only way you could really bring in a center would be to trade a D or a winger for one or to figure out a way to get rid of some bodies and then sign a FA. And even If they wanted to go with rooks they would still have to get rid of bodies somehow.

Old
08-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

I am just going to quote myself since this seemed to be one of the few posts in here that had more than 1 or 2 people agree with it. And I do feel it is still the way to go, at least for the first 9 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and throw in a crazy ideas.

Curtis Glencross - Sean Monahan - Mike Cammalleri
-The line should be defensively reliable, Monahan as a self professed playmaker will get a chance to play with a couple pretty good shooters. I know some will worry about Monahan playing on the top line right away, but Hartley has had success doing this in the past when he was with Colorado.

Sven Baertschi - Mikael Backlund - David Jones
- This line will have speed to burn, Jones should open up space for the Euros and Jones and Backlund are reliable enough defensively to let Sven take some offensive chances.

Jiri Hudler - Matt Stajan - Lee Stempniak
- Like the other 2 lines it has a couple two-way players and Stajan was a common denominator when both Stempniak and Hudler played really well. During important shutdown situations I would have Gelncross take a Hudler's place.

TJ Galiardi - Corban Knight - Tim Jackman/Brian McGrattan
- This should be an energy line that can produce a bit offensively. Galiardi and Knight will see their ice-time increase with PK time and having a top 9 winger double shifting with them occasionally.

Mark Giordano - Chris Butler
- Butler can log minutes and isn't a complete liability contrary to popular belief and Giordano is better defensively than Wideman or Brodie.

TJ Brodie - Dennis Wideman
- Played well together last season for the most part.

Kris Russell - Shane O'Brien
-Should be a solid bottom pairing, Russell moves the puck well and SOB will bring teh physical element.

Chris Breen/Mark Cundari
-One will be the #7.

Karri Ramo - Reto Berra - Joey MacDonald
- Three headed dragon. Ramo would play about 50% of the games with Berra and Mac splitting the rest.

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 05:05 AM
MoneyandJohnny

Looking at these lines.. Oh man how we will get destroyed this season... but thats ok, tis the life of a rebuild. Do it this way and we will grow our young studs into a solid competing team in a few years.

MoneyandJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Taranis

vCash: 8000
I don't think I've been this pumped for the start of the season in a while. Maybe those lines will be sheep to the slaughter, but it should be entertaining to watch.

Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 07:55 PM
flyersfan28

hey guys how manny game you think mcgrattan play this season

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 08:28 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
50ish?

Old
09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

both are future hall of fame goaltenders.

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 04:00 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
I have him pencilled in at 61 due to injuries, but he is a hard worker and will play every game he can.

MonahanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Trae

@TSNBobMcKenzie: CGY curious to see if Galiardi, who played C in minor hockey, can fit in with Stajan and Backlund as Flames' top 3 centres.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: CGY has told T.J. Galiardi to work on faceoffs this summer, EDM the same with Taylor Hall. No telling if it'll work but likely to be tried.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:32 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie: CGY curious to see if Galiardi, who played C in minor hockey, can fit in with Stajan and Backlund as Flames' top 3 centres.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: CGY has told T.J. Galiardi to work on faceoffs this summer, EDM the same with Taylor Hall. No telling if it'll work but likely to be tried.
Here we go again.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Trae

Would prefer they try Cammy again, but I guess we shall see...

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote