HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumored dispersal draft.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2005, 01:09 AM
  #1
Slangston
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Western New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Rumored dispersal draft.

Quote:
That one Western Conference team is discreetly floating a proposal at the governors' level that would see the NHL's ambitious re-launch feature a massive redistribution of player talent around the league. The theory goes something like this: If there's a new economic order anyway, then every team should have the ability to protect between five-and-seven players from its current reserve list and everybody else goes into a giant rotisserie-style pool. The teams would then re-draft the remaining 500 or so players, theoretically, adding more balance to the league.
I'm taking this rumor with a grain of salt, but I still found it interesting none the less. No one knows for sure how this whole process would work out, so I took it apon myself to place a few rules.

Most likely, The NHL would consider players with less than 3 years experience exempt. So there'd be no need to protect the Roy's, Vanek's, Paille's and the like. Everyone else however, will be eligible for the draft.

Taking that into consideration, I glanced over the Sabres roster, and selected 5 players that I would place on the reserved list. It was much more a difficult task than I originally thought it would be but atlas, here they are:

Daniel Briere - Why wouldn't we keep this guy?

Dmitri Kalinin - Should be on our blue/orange line for years to come.

Chris Drury - Hefty contract, not sure if he's worth it. Won't look so bad after roll back. Brings timely offensive and leadership to the table.

Jay McKee - I'm still waiting for McKee to return to form. Hopefully next year will be the year.

Ryan Miller - Thought long and hard about this one. The kid looks ready to be a starter in the NHL. How good he is remains to be seen, I'm thinking he'll be better than good.

Feel free to discuss, bash, and add your 5 protected players list.

Slangston is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 01:37 AM
  #2
Mat
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Magnetomountaineer
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
id hate to see the draft see zhitnik and satan go out the door...and biron ...and afinogenov with his play of late

Mat is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 06:56 AM
  #3
jpb
Registered User
 
jpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Thebes
Posts: 4,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
id hate to see the draft see zhitnik and satan go out the door...and biron ...and afinogenov with his play of late
Zhitnik was UFA under the old CBA, and will be again under the new. Even if they roll the UFAs into the dispersal draft, Alex was likely gone anyway. Miro has wanted out for a while now, it seems, although. I'd like to keep both, but if they have to go, they have to go. As for Biron, no offense to you, but he's had plenty of opportunity to step up and be the man, and hasn't. A change of scenery might do him some good, but IMO he's stalled here in his development of as a player. I also expect Miller to surpass him in 05/06 (assuming there's a season and no dispersal draft) anyhow.

Besides, if there is a draft, yeah, you might lose the likes of Zhitnik and Biron, but imagine getting an Iginla or similar in return. Takes the sting out.

jpb is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:46 AM
  #4
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
I'm taking this rumor with a grain of salt, but I still found it interesting none the less. No one knows for sure how this whole process would work out, so I took it apon myself to place a few rules.

Most likely, The NHL would consider players with less than 3 years experience exempt. So there'd be no need to protect the Roy's, Vanek's, Paille's and the like. Everyone else however, will be eligible for the draft.

Taking that into consideration, I glanced over the Sabres roster, and selected 5 players that I would place on the reserved list. It was much more a difficult task than I originally thought it would be but atlas, here they are:

Daniel Briere - Why wouldn't we keep this guy?

Dmitri Kalinin - Should be on our blue/orange line for years to come.

Chris Drury - Hefty contract, not sure if he's worth it. Won't look so bad after roll back. Brings timely offensive and leadership to the table.

Jay McKee - I'm still waiting for McKee to return to form. Hopefully next year will be the year.

Ryan Miller - Thought long and hard about this one. The kid looks ready to be a starter in the NHL. How good he is remains to be seen, I'm thinking he'll be better than good.

Feel free to discuss, bash, and add your 5 protected players list.
For the most part, I would agree. The only change I would make would be to replace Drury on your list with Hecht. I think he has a atleast as much skill as Drury has displayed while he has been here, he's younger, and could be a decent leader.

djhn579 is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 09:47 AM
  #5
Sabresarecool
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bflo
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
I'm taking this rumor with a grain of salt, but I still found it interesting none the less. No one knows for sure how this whole process would work out, so I took it apon myself to place a few rules.

Most likely, The NHL would consider players with less than 3 years experience exempt. So there'd be no need to protect the Roy's, Vanek's, Paille's and the like. Everyone else however, will be eligible for the draft.

Taking that into consideration, I glanced over the Sabres roster, and selected 5 players that I would place on the reserved list. It was much more a difficult task than I originally thought it would be but atlas, here they are:

Daniel Briere - Why wouldn't we keep this guy?

Dmitri Kalinin - Should be on our blue/orange line for years to come.

Chris Drury - Hefty contract, not sure if he's worth it. Won't look so bad after roll back. Brings timely offensive and leadership to the table.

Jay McKee - I'm still waiting for McKee to return to form. Hopefully next year will be the year.

Ryan Miller - Thought long and hard about this one. The kid looks ready to be a starter in the NHL. How good he is remains to be seen, I'm thinking he'll be better than good.

Feel free to discuss, bash, and add your 5 protected players list.
First off, let me say that I don't like this re-draft proposal. I say let the new CBA force teams to cut, trade or sign players based on the new cap. Any team with alot of depth will be hurt by this; thus allowing teams with over-aged, high-priced veterans, to let go of salary and get better younger players in return.....any team (such as the sabres) who has spent the past few seasons preparing for the post cba has earned the success they will have post cba against balanced competition.....but if i were to keep 5 here's who they'd be.

1) Kalinin- he should be the anchor of our d for years to come....
2) Briere- no explanation needed....
3) Hecht- i love his playmaking and 2 way play
4) Miller- we know what we've got with Biron....while i'm hopeful miller will turn out better, even if he plays to biron's level, he's younger and cheaper. Noronen could turn out to be the best pro....but will he break out this season, and prove me wrong for letting him go???
5)Afinogenov/Dumont- Max, while he might not finish like he should is just plain fun to watch, hopefully he keeps progressing like last year....dumont has heart and some grit....you might have to keep him if you keep briere and hecht to keep the dynamic trio together.......

playoffs in 05-06 oh yeah

Sabresarecool is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
  #6
Endless Ike
Registered User
 
Endless Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
Under these made-up rules Miller is protected anyway, he has less than 3 years experience..swap him out with Satan

Endless Ike is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 12:07 PM
  #7
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,121
vCash: 500
It actually disturbs me that nobody has mentioned Satan yet... man he is the FIRST player that i protect.

If rookies and prospects are protected then the five i choose are:

Satan
Kalinin
Hecht
Briere
Noronen

If not then:

Satan
Vanek
Kalinin
Briere/Hecht
Miller/Noronen


But at the end of the day this is a stupid idea that is just bull, and i hope will never happen. As i said on the original topic in the main forum, if you do somethin like this, then you have to do it properly, ie, NOBODY is protected, the slate is wiped clean and you have one huge fantasy draft. Thats never gonna happen either tho, so i don't think any of us have to worry about losing some of our players.

McKee over Satan tho... jesus

Rowley Birkin is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 12:39 PM
  #8
Sabresarecool
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bflo
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
It actually disturbs me that nobody has mentioned Satan yet... man he is the FIRST player that i protect.

If rookies and prospects are protected then the five i choose are:

Satan
Kalinin
Hecht
Briere
Noronen

If not then:

Satan
Vanek
Kalinin
Briere/Hecht
Miller/Noronen


But at the end of the day this is a stupid idea that is just bull, and i hope will never happen. As i said on the original topic in the main forum, if you do somethin like this, then you have to do it properly, ie, NOBODY is protected, the slate is wiped clean and you have one huge fantasy draft. Thats never gonna happen either tho, so i don't think any of us have to worry about losing some of our players.

McKee over Satan tho... jesus
i think the reason no one named satan was because of the notion that last seasons contract might be wiped away making him a free-agent.....i wouldn't protect him if he wasnt signed to a multi year contract....but yes he is our top scorer, and i'd take him over mckee anyday

Sabresarecool is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 01:18 PM
  #9
Slangston
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Western New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
But at the end of the day this is a stupid idea that is just bull, and i hope will never happen. As i said on the original topic in the main forum, if you do somethin like this, then you have to do it properly, ie, NOBODY is protected, the slate is wiped clean and you have one huge fantasy draft. Thats never gonna happen either tho, so i don't think any of us have to worry about losing some of our players.
If the NHL holds a full-out dispersal draft in which every player is eligible they run the risk of pissing off a legion of fans. I agree that this idea is absolutely ridiculous, but at the same time it makes for an interesting conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresarecool
i think the reason no one named satan was because of the notion that last seasons contract might be wiped away making him a free-agent.....i wouldn't protect him if he wasnt signed to a multi year contract....but yes he is our top scorer, and i'd take him over mckee anyday
Which is exactly the reason I left Satan off the list. Something else to consider, there'll be other NHL teams looking to unload high priced forwards. So there's always the possibility of picking one up during the draft.

Slangston is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 05:39 PM
  #10
lecherous
Registered User
 
lecherous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I'd say the three you have to keep above anything would be Kalinin, Briere, and Hecht. After that you've got a big choice between Drury, Noronen, McKee, Satan, and maybe even Dumont. I'd probably pick Noronen and McKee...mostly because it'd be easier to replenish our forwards with our under-3 yrs talent than it would be to replenish the goaltending or especially the defense.

If this did happen, it would be a bit of a sad day, but I'd have to think Buffalo would have a good advantage over the rest of the league. We have a GREAT core of guys that would be exempt by this rule, and if we kept the 5 guys I suggested, we'd have shed ourselves of Zhitnik, Satan, and Drury's payroll implications and we'd be well under $10m in guaranteed contracts with a huge ability to grab some very solid players in the rest of the dispersal draft.

EDIT : Now that I think about it, we might even want to keep Max over McKee. We could get a dman of McKee's caliber in the disperal draft. I had to remember back a LOOONG time, but I do remember being very impressed with Max's passing ability and overall tenacity the last season that they played (feels like 5 years ago, damn). To me it looked like he was finally turning a corner and not simply trying to beat everyone down the ice and score goals - he was beating everyone down the ice to backcheck.

lecherous is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.