HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances we get locked out from any big deals in the next week?

View Poll Results: Chances we get locked out from any big deals in the next week?
0% 6 9.09%
25% 9 13.64%
75% 27 40.91%
100% 24 36.36%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Senators65

vCash: 5640
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Debby downer

Chillax dude, winning teams are mostly built from within. That's what they doing right now
Winning teams actually go right up to the salary cap or a little bit above it. We don't being that we have a stupid budget cap set by an owner that is unwilling to pay more. If we just let our team build within and not get a couple of free agents like you are saying, then it could be a couple of years before we win the cup. We might never win a cup unless our owner opens up his wallet more. What is going to happen when all of our rookies (pageua, conacher, silverburg and zibanejad) go rfa and demand more money? Will our owner be able to accommodate them all or are we just going to let a few go because of the budget? I am just saying that our owner needs to increase the budget if he wants this team to be a legitimate contender to win the cup next season or the season after that.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:42 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Ever22 View Post
Winning teams actually go right up to the salary cap or a little bit above it. We don't being that we have a stupid budget cap set by an owner that is unwilling to pay more. If we just let our team build within and not get a couple of free agents like you are saying, then it could be a couple of years before we win the cup. We might never win a cup unless our owner opens up his wallet more. What is going to happen when all of our rookies (pageua, conacher, silverburg and zibanejad) go rfa and demand more money? Will our owner be able to accommodate them all or are we just going to let a few go because of the budget? I am just saying that our owner needs to increase the budget if he wants this team to be a legitimate contender to win the cup next season or the season after that.
the core their age

Karlsson 23
Cowen 22
Lehner 22
Zibanejad 20
Silfverberg 22
Turris 23
Wiercioch 23
Methot 28

Voila sir. They are nowhere near their prime except Methot. Maybe the time to go all in spending to the cap and signing every free agent in sight is not now.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:44 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herping Derps View Post
When Melnyk became the owner, it was so this team could finally have some cash to land some big stars.

And yes, there was the mini-dynasty of the pizza line, but that was years ago.
Melnyk's been running this team on a shoe string budget for a few years, and imho its time to open up those purse strings sooner, rather than later.

We can't keep all this young talent signed on the cheap forever, and with a bunch fo RFA contracts coming to a close, it seems like the perfect time for some short term, high money UFA signings, or in the least, moving prospects (all la 3 for 1) for some true skill.

Really, last year the push should have started, and not with freaking Lats, but some real talent.
It frustrates me to no end that the sens never seem to be able to land that top end winger, or profile d-man. Remember signing Saprykin and thinking "WTF?!?!?!"

And so to answer the question, if Melnyk and Murry don't bring in a true, high profile signing (or two), then really, this team is destined to never get that cup.

I though we were going to "horde it year after year".....
Quote:
Debby downer

Chillax dude, winning teams are mostly built from within. That's what they doing right now
No, it's the reality of the situation. The more posters who accept this, the less uninformed BS there will be floating around these boards.

But anything can happen in hockey, and although a tight budget will always slim our chances, I don't need a whole lot as a fan to get excited every single season. The crazier fans on these boards will even convince themselves that signing players like Latendresse is significant, but you won't see me thinking that.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Senators65

Quote:
the core their age

Karlsson 23
Cowen 22
Lehner 22
Zibanejad 20
Silfverberg 22
Turris 23
Wiercioch 23
Methot 28

Voila sir. They are nowhere near their prime except Methot. Maybe the time to go all in spending to the cap and signing every free agent in sight is not now.
I disagree completely. Maybe it is not the time to go all in the free agency, but it is time to go in and at least try to get one free agent at the very least. For all we know, we might end up losing some of those players when they become rfa in the future because of our owners budget.

Old
06-29-2013, 01:57 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
I disagree completely. The time might not be to go all in, but it is time to go in and at least try to get one free agent at the very least.
Sure, it always is. Any time you can get a free asset, it's a good thing.

But that doesn't mean you should be handing out ridiculous 7 year contracts to 34 year olds and spending to the cap.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:03 PM
source

Quote:
Sure, it always is. Any time you can get a free asset, it's a good thing.

But that doesn't mean you should be handing out ridiculous 7 year contracts to 34 year olds and spending to the cap.
FYI, NHL teams sometimes sign top-tier UFAs when they are not on the cusp of a Stanley Cup. See: The Minnesota Wild.

No one wants to sign Lecavalier to a contract akin to the one he was just bought out of, obviously. But don't suggest that it's not worth it (from a hockey standpoint only) for the Sens to sign elite players for market value. The issue is ONLY whether our owner is willing, that is IT.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:09 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
FYI, NHL teams sometimes sign top-tier UFAs when they are not on the cusp of a Stanley Cup. See: The Minnesota Wild.

No one wants to sign Lecavalier to a contract akin to the one he was just bought out of, obviously. But don't suggest that it's not worth it for the Sens to sign elite players for market value. The issue is ONLY whether our owner is willing, that is IT.
And the Wild are where now exactly? They spent a boatload of money, and I mean A LOT, to finish 8th. Now this summer they're scrambling everywhere to shed salary. They let Bouchard and Cullen go, and are trying to trade Clutterbuck/Gilbert/Falk/Setoguchi, etc.

The Wild have nice prospects but they were impatient. It cost them financially and their team won't be in the playoffs next year most likely.

Are they supposed to be some sort of model or something?

Old
06-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Senators65

Quote:

No one wants to sign Lecavalier to a contract akin to the one he was just bought out of, obviously. But don't suggest that it's not worth it (from a hockey standpoint only) for the Sens to sign elite players for market value. The issue is ONLY whether our owner is willing, that is IT.
I for one believe that the sens need a top-tier ufa just to add some more skill onto the team. But i don't believe for one second that our owner will be willing to allow the sens to spend more money. Maybe in a couple of years with still no cup will the owner finally realize that he needs to open up his wallet more.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Senators65

Quote:
And the Wild are where now exactly? They spent a boatload of money, and I mean A LOT, to finish 8th. Now this summer they're scrambling everywhere to shed salary. They let Bouchard and Cullen go, and are trying to trade Clutterbuck/Gilbert/Falk/Setoguchi, etc.

The Wild have nice prospects but they were impatient. It cost them financially and their team won't be in the playoffs next year most likely.

The wild are a different story from the sens. The sens were able to make it to the second round. If we could just add one top ufa player, we might be able to go deeper into the playoffs.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

You don't spend to the cap for the hell of it, Murray isn't stupid, I have no doubt he'll do the right thing.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:19 PM
source

Quote:

My point is that you don't have to be on the margin of winning the Stanley Cup for it to be worth it to sign big name UFAs. There are a lot of factors involved in whether it is worth it to spend the $$$. In Ottawa's case, Melnyk has a team that will make him $ regardless of the UFAs he signs, at least for the time being.

In Minnesota's case, they were a borderline playoff team, and their moves look to be paying off off. They made the playoffs, and it's unlikely that fans won't continue to park their bums in the seats for a team that looks to be on the rise. Who's that rookie d-man they have anyway? They look to be on the right path as a franchise, and fans are excited.

Quote:
I for one believe that the sens need a top-tier ufa just to add some more skill onto the team. But i don't believe for one second that our owner will be willing to allow the sens to spend more money. Maybe in a couple of years with still no cup will the owner finally realize that he needs to open up his wallet more.
In a sense I agree with MAK. Our core is young and improving, and on the margin, a big-name UFA will have a much greater impact if we sign one in a year or two. Of course, we'd benefit a lot by signing a Lecavalier this summer, but Melnyk has no overwhelming financial incentive to be active in the free agent market, as Minnesota arguably did last summer.

What bothers me slightly is that he portrays himself as a "fan", despite the fact his budget is 100% about business.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:20 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
The wild are a different story from the sens. The sens were able to make it to the second round. If we could just add one top ufa player, we might be able to go deeper into the playoffs.
Maybe, maybe not. Might depend on the player.

All I'm saying is that there's no reason to go into full rage mode because Euge doesn't want to spend right now.

For one, maybe he'll be willing to spend if his financial situation gets better. Maybe he'll be willing to spend when this team is closer to being a true contender (when young players are more experienced).

Second, the Sens are doing pretty awesome not spending right now. There's been huge leaps and bounds forward without huge external spending. With the way Murray is drafting and trading lately, the Sens may not need to spend to the cap and get a top free agent to contend. In fact I'm confidant they can be a contender without signing a big fish FA or spending to the cap.

Just be patient.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Senators65

Quote:
My point is that you don't have to be on the margin of winning the Stanley Cup for it to be worth it to sign big name UFAs. There are a lot of factors involved in whether it is worth it to spend the $$$. In Ottawa's case, Melnyk has a team that will make him $ regardless of the UFAs he signs, at least for the time being.

In Minnesota's case, they were a borderline playoff team, and their moves look to be paying off off. They made the playoffs, and it's unlikely that fans won't continue to park their bums in the seats for a team that looks to be on the rise. Who's that rookie d-man they have anyway? They look to be on the right path as a franchise, and fans are excited.

In a sense I agree with MAK. Our core is young and improving, and on the margin, a big-name UFA will have a much greater impact if we sign one in a year or two. Of course, we'd benefit a lot by signing a Lecavalier this summer, but Melnyk has no financial incentive to be active in the free agent market, as Minnesota arguably did last summer.
I don't agree with mak at all. Of course we will be able to sign a big-name ufa being that alfredsson will be gone. Alfie is coming back because he is physically capable and he wants another run at the cup. We need to add another ufa if we want to get deeper into the playoffs.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Senators65

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Might depend on the player.

All I'm saying is that there's no reason to go into full rage mode because Euge doesn't want to spend right now.

For one, maybe he'll be willing to spend if his financial situation gets better. Maybe he'll be willing to spend when this team is closer to being a true contender (when young players are more experienced).

Second, the Sens are doing pretty awesome not spending right now. There's been huge leaps and bounds forward without huge external spending. With the way Murray is drafting and trading lately, the Sens may not need to spend to the cap and get a top free agent to contend. In fact I'm confidant they can be a contender without signing a big fish FA or spending to the cap.

Just be patient.
I don't believe for one second that we will be a contender without signing a big fish fa. If you watched the bruins vs. hawks finals, you will see that our team is nowhere near that capacity yet with our current roster. It probably won't be for a couple of years if we just our players develop.

And when is our owner going to decide when our team is close to being a true contender? We are closer to being a true contender then we were last year or the year before that.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:33 PM
source

Quote:
I don't believe for one second that we will be a contender without signing a big fish fa. If you watched the bruins vs. hawks finals, you will see that our team is nowhere near that capacity yet with our current roster. It probably won't be for a couple of years if we just our players develop.

And when is our owner going to decide when our team is close to being a true contender? We are closer to being a true contender then we were last year or the year before that.
This is true. You can add Pittsburgh, Toronto, Detroit, St. Louis, L.A., and San Jose to that list as well. Teams like NYI, Columbus, and Colorado could also improve very quickly.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Senators65

Quote:
This is true. You can add Pittsburgh, Toronto, Detroit, St. Louis, L.A., and San Jose to that list as well. Teams like NYI, Columbus, and Colorado could also improve very quickly.
I actually think next offseason will be even harder for us to sign a big name ufa.

Here are the players that are going rfa and ufa after next season if i am reading this chart correctly: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=OTT

UFA players next offseason: Michalek, Greening, Phillips, Kassain
RFA players next offseason: Conacher, Silfverburg, o'Brien, Cowen, Gryba, Lehner

Old
06-29-2013, 02:42 PM
BK201

If by locked out you mean not getting called on big deals it seems to be happening right now :/

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:47 PM
OttawaSenators11

vCash: 50
So many rumors, but really nothing about our sens at this point..

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Senators65

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSenators11 View Post
So many rumors, but really nothing about our sens at this point..
Its upsetting to be honest. I was hoping the sens would do something interesting this weekend

Last edited by Senators65: 06-29-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old
06-29-2013, 03:29 PM
BK201

I wonder why there's no interest.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 50
I'm especially happy with our current team. I know it's more fun to be newsworthy, but for the most part I'd like to see what a good healthy crew (spezz & EK specifically) can do for a full season.

NOW...saying that - if we traded Turris and/or Conacher for a legit 2nd line centre, I wouldn't be exactly crying.

As for players, I'd love PM Bouchard, Horton or Perron on this team.

Regardless, someone up there mentioned the age(s) of our core players...and yeah - we're gonna be just fine.

06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

69% chance I'd say...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:05 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I blame the schools
It feels like a lot of people went to John McCrae.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Debby downer

Most of their cores are built from within. We have a very good core right now that isn't getting any younger. Spezza is 30 and Anderson is 32. It would be a good time right now to add those missing pieces.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
You don't spend to the cap for the hell of it, Murray isn't stupid, I have no doubt he'll do the right thing.
It's not up to him if he wants to do it.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote