HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances we get locked out from any big deals in the next week?

View Poll Results: Chances we get locked out from any big deals in the next week?
0% 6 9.09%
25% 9 13.64%
75% 27 40.91%
100% 24 36.36%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2013, 05:18 PM
  #51
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!
 
Erik Alfredsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
It's not up to him if he wants to do it.
Do you have proof of that? Idk where people are getting this idea that Melnyk wont open up his wallet, why would anyways at this point? For the sake of doing so? That's not how it works.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:21 PM
  #52
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,101
vCash: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Do you have proof of that? Idk where people are getting this idea that Melnyk wont open up his wallet, why would anyways at this point? For the sake of doing so? That's not how it works.
Murray's words.

And no, not for the sake of spending. Like I said, we have a good core right now with a 30 year old #1 centre and a 32 year old #1 goalie. It's a good time to go out and add a missing piece or two.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:22 PM
  #53
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 15,083
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Do you have proof of that? Idk where people are getting this idea that Melnyk wont open up his wallet, why would anyways at this point? For the sake of doing so? That's not how it works.
I've been told many many many times by a friend VERY close to the team that Melnyk is struggling financially. You don't have to trust me. Thats your prerogative.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:25 PM
  #54
Senators65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14,895
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
Murray's words.

And no, not for the sake of spending. Like I said, we have a good core right now with a 30 year old #1 centre and a 32 year old #1 goalie. It's a good time to go out and add a missing piece or two.
That is what i am trying to tell everybody. Of course the sens do not need to go crazy and try to get a ton of free agents, but we do need to go out and try to get a #1 winger to play with spezza and possibly a #4 defensemen to replace gonchar.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:27 PM
  #55
Senators65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14,895
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Do you have proof of that? Idk where people are getting this idea that Melnyk wont open up his wallet, why would anyways at this point? For the sake of doing so? That's not how it works.
Murray has hinted in his interviews to it being melnyk for the reason why we won't be able to afford all the big deal players.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:20 PM
  #56
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner
 
Stylizer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,930
vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
It feels like a lot of people went to John McCrae.
More like Sir Guy.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:38 PM
  #57
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 28,243
vCash: 50
We're not getting any good UFAs except maybe Briere and even that's a stretch I'd think

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:40 PM
  #58
Senators65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14,895
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
We're not getting any good UFAs except maybe Briere and even that's a stretch I'd think
While i do agree with you, you never really know though. Bryan murray could surprise us, but i doubt it.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:49 PM
  #59
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner
 
Stylizer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,930
vCash: 709
It appeared we were going to make a deal with San Jose but in the end nothing. I'm getting worried that we are going to have a huge let down and end up getting a marginal player.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:53 PM
  #60
Herping Derps*
Its a trap!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Debby downer

Chillax dude, winning teams are mostly built from within. That's what they doing right now
While teams may build from within a) eventually, even those "built from within" teams eventually lose drafted players even during RFA status, setting them back b) that "built from within" teams add a few key components from outside and c) there is a golden period of cheap, awesome RFA's that can mix with higher priced vets, providing for a much more effective salary cap team.

If you can't see that the sens are nearing the end of a nice skilled RFA corps, they you are truly myopic. The team as it exists in its B+ state will soon be much more expensive to have all those ame players signed, so then what. You're stuck with a B+ team at a maxed salary cap.

Better to add a few key players now, and push, then miss the boat - a la 2004-2007 sens.
Sure Pitts gambled and lost this year, but I'd rather have our management tangibly improve the team than hope for another above skill set year.

Can we finally give Spez someone to play with at least. Its sad watching him with lats, smith or butler. And its not like 9mm and Spez stay healthy enough to play together enough for me anyhow.

You're entitled to your opinion...I want at least one major asset.
Alfie can't carry this team forever.

Herping Derps* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:03 PM
  #61
Senators Growing
Next year again...
 
Senators Growing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,889
vCash: 50
It's an open secret that Melnyk got divorced and isn't in the best of shape financially.
The club has an internal budget (Murray has stated as such, obliquely at times, by saying he can't spend that much) and we won't be seeing any Kovalev deals (thank goodness, though I'm a big Kovalev fan) in the near future.

The word now is to just grow these guys, pay them a reasonable amount and hope that they can make the playoffs, maybe win a round or two. Once the team reaches contention stage (core guys are in their mid-20s to late 20s) then Murray will probably get the green light to spend more.

I know it might be Alfie's last year but we can't blow our stack to make a one-year push for the Cup. The team now has to be focused toward the future, with an eye toward small tweaks here and there, via trade or draft picks graduating.

Senators Growing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:04 PM
  #62
Senators65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14,895
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herping Derps View Post
While teams may build from within a) eventually, even those "built from within" teams eventually lose drafted players even during RFA status, setting them back b) that "built from within" teams add a few key components from outside and c) there is a golden period of cheap, awesome RFA's that can mix with higher priced vets, providing for a much more effective salary cap team.

If you can't see that the sens are nearing the end of a nice skilled RFA corps, they you are truly myopic. The team as it exists in its B+ state will soon be much more expensive to have all those ame players signed, so then what. You're stuck with a B+ team at a maxed salary cap.

Better to add a few key players now, and push, then miss the boat - a la 2004-2007 sens.
Sure Pitts gambled and lost this year, but I'd rather have our management tangibly improve the team than hope for another above skill set year.

Can we finally give Spez someone to play with at least. Its sad watching him with lats, smith or butler. And its not like 9mm and Spez stay healthy enough to play together enough for me anyhow.

You're entitled to your opinion...I want at least one major asset.
Alfie can't carry this team forever.
Agreed. You explained it perfectly why now would be the best time to add a major asset.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:05 PM
  #63
Senators65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14,895
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
It's an open secret that Melnyk got divorced and isn't in the best of shape financially.
The club has an internal budget (Murray has stated as such, obliquely at times, by saying he can't spend that much) and we won't be seeing any Kovalev deals (thank goodness, though I'm a big Kovalev fan) in the near future.

The word now is to just grow these guys, pay them a reasonable amount and hope that they can make the playoffs, maybe win a round or two. Once the team reaches contention stage (core guys are in their mid-20s to late 20s) then Murray will probably get the green light to spend more.

I know it might be Alfie's last year but we can't blow our stack to make a one-year push for the Cup. The team now has to be focused toward the future, with an eye toward small tweaks here and there, via trade or draft picks graduating.
We can do it that way, but as the poster above you said, you can in fact lose rfa players and some of our young players are going rfa next off season. I don't see this waiting game working too be honest. We will likely lose some of our players during this waiting game. The time is either the next season or the season after that to add key players. We cannot keep on waiting. I think we are a few key components away from being a legitimate contender. Best try to add them now before it is too late.


Last edited by Senators65: 06-30-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:51 AM
  #64
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner
 
Stylizer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,930
vCash: 709
Right now the players we have on the roster are years away from making significant money. Our team is lacking quality veterans to carry the load.

If Melnyk can't afford the team right now what is going to happen in 2 years when the cap probably goes up?

Right now i think Melnyk wants to go with the team as is. Sign Alfie to like 4 million and keep the cap around the floor.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:34 AM
  #65
tony d
RIP Hot Rod
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,610
vCash: 500
I still think if Horton is available we have to try and get him. Also knock the doors on Vanek and Eriksson.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:03 PM
  #66
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner
 
Stylizer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,930
vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I still think if Horton is available we have to try and get him. Also knock the doors on Vanek and Eriksson.
I think Horton is a bad choice. He is not enough an impact player that we need.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
  #67
6 Karlsson 5
Registered User
 
6 Karlsson 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I've been told many many many times by a friend VERY close to the team that Melnyk is struggling financially. You don't have to trust me. Thats your prerogative.
Haha lol families that live on welfare are struggling financially people that own sports teams and that have millions of dollars are not struggling financially

6 Karlsson 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:39 PM
  #68
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner
 
Stylizer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,930
vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Karlsson 5 View Post
Haha lol families that live on welfare are struggling financially people that own sports teams and that have millions of dollars are not struggling financially
Maybe he is on millionaire welfare??

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:57 PM
  #69
Canuckman44
Registered User
 
Canuckman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gatineau/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
How much do the Sens need to spend to get to the floor...thats the budget..lol

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:58 PM
  #70
Qward
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
How much do the Sens need to spend to get to the floor...thats the budget..lol
once Condra, Alfie and Wiercioch are signed, they are above the floor.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:06 PM
  #71
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner
 
Stylizer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,930
vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
once Condra, Alfie and Wiercioch are signed, they are above the floor.
Isn't the floor 44 m?

They only need to spend $500,000


Last edited by Stylizer1: 07-01-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:13 PM
  #72
Qward
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Isn't the floor 44 m?

They only need to spend $500,000
yup. and we only have 3 players to sign. Ottawa is in good shape.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:50 PM
  #73
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 28,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Karlsson 5 View Post
Haha lol families that live on welfare are struggling financially people that own sports teams and that have millions of dollars are not struggling financially
What are you 13?

I mean seriously, what kind of a reply is that?!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:54 AM
  #74
salomonster
Registered User
 
salomonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Double dot
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,401
vCash: 500
I don't expect anything BIG in terms of UFA's.

1st off the UFA list is not deep with options which means the price will be high for below avg interesting UFA's.

On BM's wish list I'm sure there's a scoring top 6 winger and a top 4 dman and that's the best case scenario.

I would expect BM to try to get this via trade rather than giving somebody huge $ which rarely work out...

Secondly, Ottawa have great prospects and the AVG age of the team is getting younger so why not give guys like Noesen, Stone, Petersson, Puempel the opportunity to make the big team before signing an expensive UFA who's gonna take their developmental ice time away from them??

Stay the course keep the development going... No need to blow Eug's wallet when we are team which will likely be be 4-7th in the east next year.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:02 AM
  #75
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
I don't see any big moves... The way management talks up Stone I fully expect him on Spezzas wing next season

Probably look to sign a cheap D with upside

Other then that, nothing

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.