HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Joe Thorton

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2005, 01:48 AM
  #1
King_Brown
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Joe Thorton

I don't know about his situation in Boston, but it sounded as if Double J took harsh shots at him during the lockout. Hes sold or selling his house there also. Once linkage and the cap are in place, and we have Iggy locked up for 5 years, would you want the Flames to spend 5-6 million a season in cap space on Thorton if we had the chance?

King_Brown is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:39 AM
  #2
Bouchard
Registered User
 
Bouchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cole Harbour, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
Sure, Thornton is probably top 5 in the NHL today, if Calgary has the chance to do it, I'd say take it.

Bouchard is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 10:03 AM
  #3
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
I'd also like to sign Kovalev and Palffy and draft Sidney Crosby and coax Bowman out of coaching retirement.

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
  #4
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Sure, it would be nice, but I think it is a pipe dream. Especially with some of our young Dmen getting better and better and if Kipper proves to be the real deal over a span of multiple seasons we won't have 5 mil to spend on anyone other than #12.

ryz is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 01:56 PM
  #5
machine_head_2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
..

only way i could see the bruins considering trading big Joe to calgary is if we offered up phauef with one of our middle-top range forwards (reinprecht, langkow) with a pick. would certainly be nice to see him playing alongside jarome but like someone else mentioned it is a total pipe dream.

machine_head_2002 is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 02:35 PM
  #6
MeatTornado
I was born ready
 
MeatTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
I can tell you right now, you're not getting Thornton without giving up Iginla, just like Vancouver would never get Thornton without giving up Bertuzzi ++

MeatTornado is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 05:17 PM
  #7
Eb0la11
Registered User
 
Eb0la11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobert
I can tell you right now, you're not getting Thornton without giving up Iginla, just like Vancouver would never get Thornton without giving up Bertuzzi ++
I can guarantee your wrong, why would NHL teams swap power forwards who arguably all are the same? Jarome, Joe and Todd all are similar player, itd be stupid to swap players unless your team was on the end getting Jarome cause hes arguably got the best PR aspects to his game which both Todd and Joe dont have. I cant believe Canucks fans still think Bertuzzi has the same value he had before the incident. A power forward could easilly be traded for 2-3 defenceman prospects even. Dont be Naieve.

Eb0la11 is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:51 PM
  #8
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I'd also like to sign Kovalev and Palffy and draft Sidney Crosby and coax Bowman out of coaching retirement.
I like the way your thinking kmad, how about this top 6?

Kovalev - Thornton - Palffy
Reinprecht - Crosby - Iginla

Man that would be beautiful.

kruezer is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
  #9
johnny cool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I like the way your thinking kmad, how about this top 6?

Kovalev - Thornton - Palffy
Reinprecht - Crosby - Iginla

Man that would be beautiful.
yeah cuz palffy's better than iggy

johnny cool is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 09:24 PM
  #10
King_Brown
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Yeah lets get Zigmund Palffy to take over Iggy and put the best player in the world on the 2nd line yup.

King_Brown is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 09:48 PM
  #11
MeatTornado
I was born ready
 
MeatTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
I can guarantee your wrong, why would NHL teams swap power forwards who arguably all are the same? Jarome, Joe and Todd all are similar player, itd be stupid to swap players unless your team was on the end getting Jarome cause hes arguably got the best PR aspects to his game which both Todd and Joe dont have. I cant believe Canucks fans still think Bertuzzi has the same value he had before the incident. A power forward could easilly be traded for 2-3 defenceman prospects even. Dont be Naieve.
Why would they swap similar players? They wouldn't, unless Joe wanted out of Boston. The original post was based on the speculation that Joe wanted out of Boston, which probably isn't the case anyways. If it was the case, however, and boston was shopping thornton, they would look for someone who could actually replace his offense and presense on the top line, not a good prospect and a mid level forward.

About Bertuzzi, you're right, he doesn't have the value he had before the incident, and even before that he didn't have the value thornton has, i'm just saying that Boston (i would assume) would want to get a top line power forward in return, seeing as they are such a rare commodity. Obviously, in the obscure event that Joe wanted out of boston, the Canucks would have to add more than just Bertuzzi to try to make a deal, which is why i said 'bertuzzi ++'.

MeatTornado is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 11:09 PM
  #12
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
yeah cuz palffy's better than iggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
Yeah lets get Zigmund Palffy to take over Iggy and put the best player in the world on the 2nd line yup.
Just spreading things around, its certainly not a ranking it could be like this as well...

Kovalev - Crosby - Iginla
Reinprecht - Thornton - Palffy

Just looking for a couple balanced lines, it was just a joke in the first place anyway.

kruezer is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 11:53 PM
  #13
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
Yeah lets get Zigmund Palffy to take over Iggy and put the best player in the world on the 2nd line yup.
SKill wise, Pallfy > Iginla

The guy is unreal just way to injury prone or else he would be a 100+ point player if playing a full season. Iginla's game overall is greater than Palffy. IMO, Pallfy when healthy is a step up from Naslund.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 09:56 AM
  #14
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
yeah cuz palffy's better than iggy
You have to think about chemistry

The top line already has Kovalev as the trigger guy.. having Iginla on the RW as well would leave him redundant

Second line has Crosby as a playmaker and Reinprecht as a defensive balance. Iginla as a physical presence/trigger guy would be perfect. Iginla on the second line and Palffy on the top line would be better all around. It's not always about putting your three best players on your top line.

It's like Vancouver playing Bertuzzi with the Sedins and Cooke on the top line. Cooke ain't better than Bertuzzi, but to maximize production from that top six you'd best put Bertuzzi on line two.

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 03:10 PM
  #15
anguscertified
HFB Partner
 
anguscertified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
SKill wise, Pallfy > Iginla

The guy is unreal just way to injury prone or else he would be a 100+ point player if playing a full season. Iginla's game overall is greater than Palffy. IMO, Pallfy when healthy is a step up from Naslund.
booooooooooo on you.

anguscertified is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 03:36 PM
  #16
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
booooooooooo on you.
It's true. Naslund is a great player but Palffy offensively has been better. He has over a PPG career, Naslund does not. Palffy developed faster as well. Both were drafted the same year and started their NHL careers around the same time..while naslund first good year was 1995 scoring 55 points, Palffy was also 1995 scoring 87 points and he hasn't looked back. Pallfy has been a PPG player or mroe since his 1995 year with the expection of ONE year. That is amazing! I mean even look at the overall game. Both play lots of EV time, both plays lots of PP time BUT Palffy has also become a solid PK player as well in recent years too. I woudl take either player on my team but skill wise, Palffy is better...his injuries in the last couple seasons have not been great though.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 08:22 PM
  #17
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
It's true. Naslund is a great player but Palffy offensively has been better. He has over a PPG career, Naslund does not. Palffy developed faster as well.
What does either of those have to do with their abilities now?

Palffy is a better all-around player, but Naslund is EASILY a better pure offensive player. The numbers over the last few years are more reflective of Naslund's actual talent levels. You're smart enough to realize that Naslund being a late bloomer has absolutely no impact on his present day effectiveness.

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 08:52 PM
  #18
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
What does either of those have to do with their abilities now?

Palffy is a better all-around player, but Naslund is EASILY a better pure offensive player. The numbers over the last few years are more reflective of Naslund's actual talent levels. You're smart enough to realize that Naslund being a late bloomer has absolutely no impact on his present day effectiveness.
How do you figure Naslund is more purely offensively talented? Naslund numbers were greatest when Bertuzzi has his best year. Heck, beating Pallfy overall in the last 3 years doesn't make him a better player when Palffy has been a better PPG player his whole career. Consistancy of a career >>> couple previous seasons

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
  #19
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
Previous seasons are more indicative of present abilities. This much should be obvious, even to people who hate Naslund. I'd much rather have Brad Richards on my team right now than Wayne Gretzky, despite Gretzky's 212 point campaign.

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
  #20
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Previous seasons are more indicative of present abilities. This much should be obvious, even to people who hate Naslund. I'd much rather have Brad Richards on my team right now than Wayne Gretzky, despite Gretzky's 212 point campaign.
OMG, great comparison....

Comparison on such a short stretch is a terrible way to do things. Do you realize how many 1-3 year wonders there would be in the NHL. Heck, Souray would be a top defenseman is that was the case, etc. Heck, Ribero would be a top center in the NHl after last season.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 09:28 PM
  #21
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
You're getting off topic

Naslund in the last four years:
313GP - 164g, 189a, 353pts (1.128ppg)

Palffy in the last four years (not counting his injury riddled 03/04 season):
276GP - 135g, 165a, 300pts (1.087ppg)

So even if you want to compare numbers, which is essentially useless, Naslund still wins. The only edge Palffy has on Naslund is Palffy's time with the Islanders in the mid to late 90s which has absolutely no bearing right now. Palffy's too injury prone to be as effective as Naslund.

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 09:47 PM
  #22
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Palffy's too injury prone to be as effective as Naslund.
Wow...did I not say that at the start of my post in this thread? A HEALTHY Palffy is only on par skill wise and able to compete....great reading.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 10:40 PM
  #23
Mat
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Magnetomountaineer
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
i doubt joe wants to live in Calgary, no offence

Mat is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 10:48 PM
  #24
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Wow...did I not say that at the start of my post in this thread? A HEALTHY Palffy is only on par skill wise and able to compete....great reading.
and a 6'4 Naslund would rival Jagr.

I'm done with this though. I won't argue with someone who insists Palffy is a better offensive player today because he had more points than Naslund eight years ago.

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
  #25
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.
 
The Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Centre Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,527
vCash: 500
If you look at when Naslund actually felt comfortable in the league and took leadership role and started playing his offensive game he has been the better pure scorer of the two.

(you can notice when the change happened if you look at the amount of shots he took per year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
SKill wise, Pallfy > Iginla

The guy is unreal just way to injury prone or else he would be a 100+ point player if playing a full season. Iginla's game overall is greater than Palffy. IMO, Pallfy when healthy is a step up from Naslund.
100 point guy? He's never managed it in his career. You can make up all the what-ifs you want but the fact is he never has and I doubt he ever will with the way his injury prone seasons have amounted over the last several years.

The Bob Cole is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.