Notices

Joe Thorton

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2005, 01:48 AM
King_Brown

vCash: 500
Joe Thorton

I don't know about his situation in Boston, but it sounded as if Double J took harsh shots at him during the lockout. Hes sold or selling his house there also. Once linkage and the cap are in place, and we have Iggy locked up for 5 years, would you want the Flames to spend 5-6 million a season in cap space on Thorton if we had the chance?

Old
06-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Bouchard

Sure, Thornton is probably top 5 in the NHL today, if Calgary has the chance to do it, I'd say take it.

Old
06-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Edler Statesman*

I'd also like to sign Kovalev and Palffy and draft Sidney Crosby and coax Bowman out of coaching retirement.

Old
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
ryz

Sure, it would be nice, but I think it is a pipe dream. Especially with some of our young Dmen getting better and better and if Kipper proves to be the real deal over a span of multiple seasons we won't have 5 mil to spend on anyone other than #12.

Old
06-06-2005, 01:56 PM
machine_head_2002

only way i could see the bruins considering trading big Joe to calgary is if we offered up phauef with one of our middle-top range forwards (reinprecht, langkow) with a pick. would certainly be nice to see him playing alongside jarome but like someone else mentioned it is a total pipe dream.

Old
06-06-2005, 02:35 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
I can tell you right now, you're not getting Thornton without giving up Iginla, just like Vancouver would never get Thornton without giving up Bertuzzi ++

Old
06-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Eb0la11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobert
I can tell you right now, you're not getting Thornton without giving up Iginla, just like Vancouver would never get Thornton without giving up Bertuzzi ++
I can guarantee your wrong, why would NHL teams swap power forwards who arguably all are the same? Jarome, Joe and Todd all are similar player, itd be stupid to swap players unless your team was on the end getting Jarome cause hes arguably got the best PR aspects to his game which both Todd and Joe dont have. I cant believe Canucks fans still think Bertuzzi has the same value he had before the incident. A power forward could easilly be traded for 2-3 defenceman prospects even. Dont be Naieve.

Old
06-06-2005, 07:51 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I'd also like to sign Kovalev and Palffy and draft Sidney Crosby and coax Bowman out of coaching retirement.
I like the way your thinking kmad, how about this top 6?

Kovalev - Thornton - Palffy
Reinprecht - Crosby - Iginla

Man that would be beautiful.

Old
06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I like the way your thinking kmad, how about this top 6?

Kovalev - Thornton - Palffy
Reinprecht - Crosby - Iginla

Man that would be beautiful.
yeah cuz palffy's better than iggy

Old
06-06-2005, 09:24 PM
King_Brown

Yeah lets get Zigmund Palffy to take over Iggy and put the best player in the world on the 2nd line yup.

Old
06-06-2005, 09:48 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
I can guarantee your wrong, why would NHL teams swap power forwards who arguably all are the same? Jarome, Joe and Todd all are similar player, itd be stupid to swap players unless your team was on the end getting Jarome cause hes arguably got the best PR aspects to his game which both Todd and Joe dont have. I cant believe Canucks fans still think Bertuzzi has the same value he had before the incident. A power forward could easilly be traded for 2-3 defenceman prospects even. Dont be Naieve.
Why would they swap similar players? They wouldn't, unless Joe wanted out of Boston. The original post was based on the speculation that Joe wanted out of Boston, which probably isn't the case anyways. If it was the case, however, and boston was shopping thornton, they would look for someone who could actually replace his offense and presense on the top line, not a good prospect and a mid level forward.

About Bertuzzi, you're right, he doesn't have the value he had before the incident, and even before that he didn't have the value thornton has, i'm just saying that Boston (i would assume) would want to get a top line power forward in return, seeing as they are such a rare commodity. Obviously, in the obscure event that Joe wanted out of boston, the Canucks would have to add more than just Bertuzzi to try to make a deal, which is why i said 'bertuzzi ++'.

Old
06-06-2005, 11:09 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
Yeah lets get Zigmund Palffy to take over Iggy and put the best player in the world on the 2nd line yup.
Just spreading things around, its certainly not a ranking it could be like this as well...

Kovalev - Crosby - Iginla
Reinprecht - Thornton - Palffy

Just looking for a couple balanced lines, it was just a joke in the first place anyway.

Old
06-06-2005, 11:53 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
SKill wise, Pallfy > Iginla

The guy is unreal just way to injury prone or else he would be a 100+ point player if playing a full season. Iginla's game overall is greater than Palffy. IMO, Pallfy when healthy is a step up from Naslund.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Edler Statesman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
You have to think about chemistry

The top line already has Kovalev as the trigger guy.. having Iginla on the RW as well would leave him redundant

Second line has Crosby as a playmaker and Reinprecht as a defensive balance. Iginla as a physical presence/trigger guy would be perfect. Iginla on the second line and Palffy on the top line would be better all around. It's not always about putting your three best players on your top line.

It's like Vancouver playing Bertuzzi with the Sedins and Cooke on the top line. Cooke ain't better than Bertuzzi, but to maximize production from that top six you'd best put Bertuzzi on line two.

Old
06-07-2005, 03:10 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan

The guy is unreal just way to injury prone or else he would be a 100+ point player if playing a full season. Iginla's game overall is greater than Palffy. IMO, Pallfy when healthy is a step up from Naslund.
booooooooooo on you.

Old
06-07-2005, 03:36 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
booooooooooo on you.
It's true. Naslund is a great player but Palffy offensively has been better. He has over a PPG career, Naslund does not. Palffy developed faster as well. Both were drafted the same year and started their NHL careers around the same time..while naslund first good year was 1995 scoring 55 points, Palffy was also 1995 scoring 87 points and he hasn't looked back. Pallfy has been a PPG player or mroe since his 1995 year with the expection of ONE year. That is amazing! I mean even look at the overall game. Both play lots of EV time, both plays lots of PP time BUT Palffy has also become a solid PK player as well in recent years too. I woudl take either player on my team but skill wise, Palffy is better...his injuries in the last couple seasons have not been great though.

Old
06-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Edler Statesman*

Quote:
It's true. Naslund is a great player but Palffy offensively has been better. He has over a PPG career, Naslund does not. Palffy developed faster as well.
What does either of those have to do with their abilities now?

Palffy is a better all-around player, but Naslund is EASILY a better pure offensive player. The numbers over the last few years are more reflective of Naslund's actual talent levels. You're smart enough to realize that Naslund being a late bloomer has absolutely no impact on his present day effectiveness.

Old
06-07-2005, 08:52 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
What does either of those have to do with their abilities now?

Palffy is a better all-around player, but Naslund is EASILY a better pure offensive player. The numbers over the last few years are more reflective of Naslund's actual talent levels. You're smart enough to realize that Naslund being a late bloomer has absolutely no impact on his present day effectiveness.
How do you figure Naslund is more purely offensively talented? Naslund numbers were greatest when Bertuzzi has his best year. Heck, beating Pallfy overall in the last 3 years doesn't make him a better player when Palffy has been a better PPG player his whole career. Consistancy of a career >>> couple previous seasons

Old
06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Edler Statesman*

Previous seasons are more indicative of present abilities. This much should be obvious, even to people who hate Naslund. I'd much rather have Brad Richards on my team right now than Wayne Gretzky, despite Gretzky's 212 point campaign.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Previous seasons are more indicative of present abilities. This much should be obvious, even to people who hate Naslund. I'd much rather have Brad Richards on my team right now than Wayne Gretzky, despite Gretzky's 212 point campaign.
OMG, great comparison....

Comparison on such a short stretch is a terrible way to do things. Do you realize how many 1-3 year wonders there would be in the NHL. Heck, Souray would be a top defenseman is that was the case, etc. Heck, Ribero would be a top center in the NHl after last season.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Edler Statesman*

You're getting off topic

Naslund in the last four years:
313GP - 164g, 189a, 353pts (1.128ppg)

Palffy in the last four years (not counting his injury riddled 03/04 season):
276GP - 135g, 165a, 300pts (1.087ppg)

So even if you want to compare numbers, which is essentially useless, Naslund still wins. The only edge Palffy has on Naslund is Palffy's time with the Islanders in the mid to late 90s which has absolutely no bearing right now. Palffy's too injury prone to be as effective as Naslund.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:47 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Palffy's too injury prone to be as effective as Naslund.
Wow...did I not say that at the start of my post in this thread? A HEALTHY Palffy is only on par skill wise and able to compete....great reading.

Old
06-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
i doubt joe wants to live in Calgary, no offence

Old
06-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Edler Statesman*

Quote:
Wow...did I not say that at the start of my post in this thread? A HEALTHY Palffy is only on par skill wise and able to compete....great reading.
and a 6'4 Naslund would rival Jagr.

I'm done with this though. I won't argue with someone who insists Palffy is a better offensive player today because he had more points than Naslund eight years ago.

Old
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

If you look at when Naslund actually felt comfortable in the league and took leadership role and started playing his offensive game he has been the better pure scorer of the two.

(you can notice when the change happened if you look at the amount of shots he took per year)

Quote:

100 point guy? He's never managed it in his career. You can make up all the what-ifs you want but the fact is he never has and I doubt he ever will with the way his injury prone seasons have amounted over the last several years.

Closed Thread